The Official 5/26/11 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomasfx10

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to start the "Official" 5/26/11 MCAT Club. I saw an early post over a month ago, but it did not say official :D and has appeared to have died.

So here we go ....

It is just about three months out from the MCAT. How many hours are people putting in? Anyone taking the Kaplan course or SN2ed's 3 Month Study?

I started with the Kaplan class room course and have mixed feeling about it.

The Good: Free access to all the AAMC exams and Kaplan's full length. They have great website for quizes, exam stats ... it also helps me stay focused. They show some tips and hints but I have found that on this site too ...

The Bad: Cost ($1699). When in class, the teacher slams through everything so quick. Not really anytime for questions ... I think I study better on my own, at my pace.

This brings me to SN2ed's 3 month study guide. (Check out the sticky link for more info). I ordered the books from BR (Plan two weeks, they have an archaic ordering system - mail in forms) ... Anyway, that should be in Tuesday. I plan on doing both ... the Kaplan class, and the 3 month study ... I will let you all know how it goes ...

P.S. I do have a long way to go ... I got a 16 on the Kaplan Diagnostic. Which I heard is much harder than the real one, however that is still at least 15 points under what I want to be at ...

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken both AAMC 7 and AAMC 8 and noticed a big difference in both difficulty and score? I've been doing pretty well on the AAMC's, and was just about to relax a bit, and then I took 8....Down 2-3 points from my typical PS, 3 from my typical VR, and I'm taking BS in a few minutes....This is especially troublesome because I've heard that the newer AAMC's are more similar to the current exams.

Any wisdom?

Thanks!

If you guys are burning out it is better to take a whole day off from the mcat (even WITHOUT constantly thinking about it), instead of fiddle farting around while studying for the next two weeks. I tried to do that three weeks ago and ended up just piddleing around and didnt get very much actual beneficial studying done. I ended up wasting about a whole week. But I took a whole day off and it gave me back some motivation. Just a thought. I am going to hit acids and bases (for the third or fourth time), about three end of chapter Q's in TPR bio and then Ill take aamc 5 tomorrow. Crunch time people, WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!

I'll agree with you on this. I've taken the last two days off in an attempt to be fresh tomorrow. I get off of work at 7A so I'll probably catch a 4-5hr nap and get up and study the remainder of the day. I'm hoping that I can pull up my score by a few points. :xf:

If you guys are burning out it is better to take a whole day off from the mcat (even WITHOUT constantly thinking about it), instead of fiddle farting around while studying for the next two weeks. I tried to do that three weeks ago and ended up just piddleing around and didnt get very much actual beneficial studying done. I ended up wasting about a whole week. But I took a whole day off and it gave me back some motivation. Just a thought. I am going to hit acids and bases (for the third or fourth time), about three end of chapter Q's in TPR bio and then Ill take aamc 5 tomorrow. Crunch time people, WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to take AAMC 7 tmrw, while I finish reviewing the EK 30min-passages today. Ditto on blaming on apathy. I wish I got burnt out--atleast I'll feel good that I got a lot of work done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no expert, but from my experience in the AAMC's, and Kaplan's tests, you should know the basic tests, like the ones you have mentioned, but not too many others. Litmus is something you've probably seen a few times since high school, as you use it to test for pH/acidity/basicity in biology and chemistry labs. It's more or less qualitative, but can give you an approximation of pH numbers. Jones, if we're talking about the same thing, is a reagent, rather than a test, used for oxidation of alcohols to carbonyl compounds. Specifically, it is a strong oxidizing agent, so it can turn a primary alcohol into a carboxylic acid, whereas Collins Reagent can only turn a primary alcohol into an aldehyde. Bennedict's is used to test for reducing sugars.

I think if you know that much, that should be more than enough. If they want to go into more detail about particular tests, I would think that it would be something passage-based, where it would be more important to know the underlying concepts as opposed to the specifics of the test.

From my experience so far taking the FLs, I can't imagine that they would give you a stand alone question testing your rote knowledge of chemical tests. With so much to know, my opinion is that it's good to recognize tests but surely not to memorize them.

btw, I thought that 8 was particularly difficult as well. Passages 5 and 6 in verbal were hard (philosophy is a weakness of mine) so that I only had 5 minutes to complete the last section of verbal. There were a few times with those two passages that I just chuckled because I had no clue what they were even asking...! The MRI passage on the PS section is notorious (a forum search of AAMC 8 will yield multiple threads devoted to that particular passage and it's difficulty). The biology wasn't more difficult than the earlier tests.

According to TPR, AAMC7 and AAMC8 are harder than the real MCAT.

Also, if anybody wants to study/chat on AIM my ID is mightyred230

From my experience so far taking the FLs, I can't imagine that they would give you a stand alone question testing your rote knowledge of chemical tests. With so much to know, my opinion is that it's good to recognize tests but surely not to memorize them.

btw, I thought that 8 was particularly difficult as well. Passages 5 and 6 in verbal were hard (philosophy is a weakness of mine) so that I only had 5 minutes to complete the last section of verbal. There were a few times with those two passages that I just chuckled because I had no clue what they were even asking...! The MRI passage on the PS section is notorious (a forum search of AAMC 8 will yield multiple threads devoted to that particular passage and it's difficulty). The biology wasn't more difficult than the earlier tests.

Well, not that I'm happy other people had some trouble with it, but it is comforting to know I'm not alone on this one. The MRI one was pretty weird, but I found my way through most of that one. The one that really messed me up was the balloon/tank one and then the discrete with all the typo's for Snell's Law.

Wow, that's pretty good to hear. I'm looking to bounce back on 9, 10 and 11! I just finished Bio for 8 and it went well, so that's a bit of a booster.

Well, just got done taking AAMC 7 in a loud cafe with intermittent interruptions of internet access (public library is closed on sunday) after having an abscess cut into and drained two inches from my testicles this morning (you ever go walking on the beach in boardshorts with velcro and regret it?). The anesthetic started to wear off sometime in the middle of the verbal section. Somehow managed to pull off a 36 (12/11/13). I don't know whether to feel triumphant & ready for the mcat no matter the conditions or to limp home whimpering...

Well, just got done taking AAMC 7 in a loud cafe with intermittent interruptions of internet access (public library is closed on sunday) after having an abscess cut into and drained two inches from my testicles this morning (you ever go walking on the beach in boardshorts with velcro and regret it?). The anesthetic started to wear off sometime in the middle of the verbal section. Somehow managed to pull off a 36 (12/11/13). I don't know whether to feel triumphant & ready for the mcat no matter the conditions or to limp home whimpering...

Genius...testicular abscess, sedatives, Ptest in cafe, and a 36. Hot damn.

Just took aamc 11.

10, 10, 10

Missed 11's in PS/BS by 1 question each. Felt rushed for time on both PS and BS. Need to figure that out asap. I'm taking 10 tomorrow night. My test is friday.

I'm just going to go with the fact that the questions I got wrong were experimentals ;)

Oy vey.

taking aamc 9 today...any advice?

If you get stuck on anything, narrow it down, pick a choice, mark the question and move on. Come back to it when you're done everything else. You don't want to get 1 thing right at the cost of missing a passage.

I still have trouble with this because I think I'm good on time, when really I just need to move on.

Sounds simple, but it's really hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a 31 on AAMC 8

9 PS
11 VR
11 BS (****KK i made stupid stupid mistakes)

I usually score 11's on PS.....this PS was definitely effing hard. Sigh. I'm never gonna get a 34+

I'm kinda surprised with the 11 on verbal considering i was beyond lost on 2 passages. I literally had no idea what they were talking about. Ughhh if I can just get bio up to a 12-13 consistently, keep an 11 in PS and a 10-11 in VR i'll manage a 34. It just seems so freaking hard. Ugh.

Edit: 80% of my mistakes are from overthinking questions. Why is it soo hard for me to just trust my gut instinct and move on?

Last edited:
If you get stuck on anything, narrow it down, pick a choice, mark the question and move on. Come back to it when you're done everything else. You don't want to get 1 thing right at the cost of missing a passage.

I still have trouble with this because I think I'm good on time, when really I just need to move on.

Sounds simple, but it's really hard.

yeah, it is hard because in reality, there really aren't "hard" questions. They are all based on simple concepts and knowledge but just about how you apply your train of thoughts.

I thought the AAMC 7 verbal was much harder than AAMC 8. #8 had a good deal of the different types of passages, whereas #7 was filled with abstract and humanities passages--like that Sunflower passage and the employment training passage. Anyone feel that way too?

For the science, I thought both were in the same ballpark of difficulty, but tested on different topics.

I thought the AAMC 7 verbal was much harder than AAMC 8. #8 had a good deal of the different types of passages, whereas #7 was filled with abstract and humanities passages--like that Sunflower passage and the employment training passage. Anyone feel that way too?

I felt the same way. I got an 8 on AAMC7 verbal which was wayy below my average, and got an 11 on AAMC8 verbal. AAMC7 verbal was much more conceptual/inference/assumption related, I thought.

I just got a 31 on AAMC 8

9 PS
11 VR
11 BS (****KK i made stupid stupid mistakes)

I usually score 11's on PS.....this PS was definitely effing hard. Sigh. I'm never gonna get a 34+

I'm kinda surprised with the 11 on verbal considering i was beyond lost on 2 passages. I literally had no idea what they were talking about. Ughhh if I can just get bio up to a 12-13 consistently, keep an 11 in PS and a 10-11 in VR i'll manage a 34. It just seems so freaking hard. Ugh.

Edit: 80% of my mistakes are from overthinking questions. Why is it soo hard for me to just trust my gut instinct and move on?

Nice job on the BS! I have no idea how I got a 9 lol...going to go over it soon.

I felt the same way. I got an 8 on AAMC7 verbal which was wayy below my average, and got an 11 on AAMC8 verbal. AAMC7 verbal was much more conceptual/inference/assumption related, I thought.

How did you do on AAMC 10 and 11 verball sections? Those are the two exams I have yet to take.

What have you guys been getting on all your aamc tests? i just took 3 and about to start the rest... just wanna see if my score might go up or down...

I just finished taking AAMC#7 as well. I got 13/7!!/12. I was thrown off by both the verbal and the bio sections.That verbal was a B#$&%; I started off good and missed a lot of questions in the middle. Guess I need to focus more on humanities and abstract passages. For BS, there was a lot of orgo and that one nematode passage that definitely threw me off. I've been getting 1 or 2 pts less on my BS than on my PS. I wonder if its a fatigue issue.

Last edited:
What have you guys been getting on all your aamc tests? i just took 3 and about to start the rest... just wanna see if my score might go up or down...

in that order decreasing. The last 2 were changes in BS...but its fairly consistent. I hope I pull out a 32 on the real deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAMC10 (my diagnostic, yea i know): 10PS, 7VR, 12BS
AAMC3 11PS 9VR 13BS
AAMC4 9PS 8VR 10BS (this one threw me off big time)
AAMC5 13PS 9VR 13BS
AAMC7 13PS XVR 13BS (had to stop VR)

My verbal will be my downfall.

AAMC10 (my diagnostic, yea i know): 10PS, 7VR, 12BS
AAMC3 11PS 9VR 13BS
AAMC4 9PS 8VR 10BS (this one threw me off big time)
AAMC5 13PS 9VR 13BS
AAMC7 13PS XVR 13BS (had to stop VR)

My verbal will be my downfall.

Wow, nice science :thumbup: you should be fine :)

Hi guys! wanted to wish you all good luck. I myself am taking it on the 21st, but I'm sending good vibes to all of you guys! :love::xf:

just took aamc 9....14/8/14.....damn you verbal...i will gladly give away points on the sciences for a 10 on verbal..AAAAH..i don't care anymore i just want to take the test and get it over with...sorry if i'm venting too must...hope everybody is doing well

in that order decreasing. The last 2 were changes in BS...but its fairly consistent. I hope I pull out a 32 on the real deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shooting for a 32 as well. I missed it on aamc 11 by 1 question on PS and 1 on BS. The mistakes were caused by overthinking, so I'm going to go with gut answers from now on unless I have a drastic reason to change and I'll only change when I'm DONE everything else.

I'm shooting for a 32 as well. I missed it on aamc 11 by 1 question on PS and 1 on BS. The mistakes were caused by overthinking, so I'm going to go with gut answers from now on unless I have a drastic reason to change and I'll only change when I'm DONE everything else.

I got chewed up by the kidney in AAMC 8 - hopefully I can fix that. I am happy with PS, wouldn't mind a few more points in VS, and the BS is going back up.

I wish I was better in the sciences :(

[/QUOTE]

In order taken:

AAMC3 36 (12/10/14)
AAMC4 40 (13/12/15)
AAMC8 38 (13/11/14)
AAMC7 36 (12/11/13)

Plan on taking 5 tomorrow, 11 thursday, 9 sat, 10 monday

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 6.54.54 PM.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
In order taken:

AAMC3 36 (12/10/14)
AAMC4 40 (13/12/15)
AAMC8 38 (13/11/14)
AAMC7 36 (12/11/13)

photo.php

Plan on taking 5 tomorrow, 11 thursday, 9 sat, 10 monday[/QUOTE]

Your too good my friend.

My hope is that a great MCAT will make up for a crummy sGPA (3.55). Four years of consistent anxiety banks on it

Yeah I just aamc 8 and got killed.:mad: O how this crap really really sucks. I thought I nailed the bio but I guess I didnt. I felt myself starting to slack off toward the end but I still thought I did pretty well. I dont really want to even mention verbal, I got devastated. Overall ps 10, vr 7, bs 9 so woohoo really excited that I only have a week and a half to fix this crap. I got super frustrated during VR so I hope that is why I tanked it. I just didnt feel focused for any of it, I didnt feel like I was in the MCAT mode. Hopefully I can make some hedgeway in the next week. Congrats to you guys hovering in the 30s, it makes us bottom feeders pretty envious. Review mistakes and then aamc 5 on wednesday, wish me luck!

one more week of studying!! (assuming everybody is taking next wednesday off)...KEEP IT UP.....we'll kick a** on the 26th

I hope this is the case! I'm extremely tired of studying but I'm afraid to stop or slack up on it as I know that I need it. :laugh: it is going to be SO nice to be done with the studying for a bit. with that said, i'm on my 10 min break from AAMC 7. This test SUCKS. :scared:

Sorry for posting this here, but I keep getting "infractions" from SDN for posting threads, but I asked two different questions. Anyway.....is a July 28th MCAT too late to apply for this upcoming cycle (2012)? I am supposed to take the exam this friday (20th) but I'm not scoring where I'd like to on my practice tests. The next available date that has openings within 24 driving hours of where I live is July 28th. Is that too late?

It's not optimal but its definitely not TOO late. From what I gather, just submit application with the first score and update it once you get the 2nd score.

would it be crazy to drive 7 hours away to take the test? I'm not sure what to do here. I called MCAT today and they have availability 7 hours away for the july 6 test date, but I'm not sure if I should do that or not.

It's not optimal but its definitely not TOO late. From what I gather, just submit application with the first score and update it once you get the 2nd score.

and thanks for the response...good luck on your test! I just got done with AAMC 10!

and thanks for the response...good luck on your test! I just got done with AAMC 10!

No problem. Thanks and same to you.

So I just finished AAMC 7 and got a 24. I swear, I cannot seem to get my scores to budge much at all. Any thoughts on how to increase it any? I generally review my questions the two days after I take a test. I really wish I could get PS or BS up another two points. Seems like i'm always one or two questions away from a 9 on Bio. As for PS, it varies so I know that I have some weaknesses with it (lenses, electricity, and some wave questions). The sad thing is I took AAMC 3 when I was approximately 1/2 of the way through content review. Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated!:thumbup:

AAMC 3: 8/8/8 [24]
AAMC 4: 6/9/8 [23]
AAMC 5: 7/10/8 [25]
AAMC 7: 7/9/8 [24]

No problem. Thanks and same to you.

So I just finished AAMC 7 and got a 24. I swear, I cannot seem to get my scores to budge much at all. Any thoughts on how to increase it any? I generally review my questions the two days after I take a test. I really wish I could get PS or BS up another two points. Seems like i'm always one or two questions away from a 9 on Bio. As for PS, it varies so I know that I have some weaknesses with it (lenses, electricity, and some wave questions). The sad thing is I took AAMC 3 when I was approximately 1/2 of the way through content review. Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated!:thumbup:

AAMC 3: 8/8/8 [24]
AAMC 4: 6/9/8 [23]
AAMC 5: 7/10/8 [25]
AAMC 7: 7/9/8 [24]

What did you use for content review / practice material? I would advise trying out a different resource, and scheduling an additional test date. Your verbal is pretty good, but that's probably just based on your natural ability, and not any help content review has given you. It seems like your content review hasn't been a good match for your learning style. I started out with The Berkeley Review, and even though its raved about on sdn, it didn't work for me. I switched over to Examkrackers about 30 days into a 90 day review, and saw great improvements in my scores almost immediately. I highly recommend EK, but everyone has to find what works for them.

What did you use for content review / practice material? I would advise trying out a different resource, and scheduling an additional test date. Your verbal is pretty good, but that's probably just based on your natural ability, and not any help content review has given you. It seems like your content review hasn't been a good match for your learning style. I started out with The Berkeley Review, and even though its raved about on sdn, it didn't work for me. I switched over to Examkrackers about 30 days into a 90 day review, and saw great improvements in my scores almost immediately. I highly recommend EK, but everyone has to find what works for them.

I, too, am using TBR for everything except Bio content. What EK books were you using? I have the 1001 books and the EK Biology book. I'm pretty bummed as it seems after all of this studying, I've made no head-way. :thumbdown: If you don't mind, what kind of schedule were you using with EK. Also, you said TBR wasn't as effective for you...what would you consider yourself as far as learning type goes?

I, too, am using TBR for everything except Bio content. What EK books were you using? I have the 1001 books and the EK Biology book. I'm pretty bummed as it seems after all of this studying, I've made no head-way. :thumbdown: If you don't mind, what kind of schedule were you using with EK. Also, you said TBR wasn't as effective for you...what would you consider yourself as far as learning type goes?

EK has a study schedule listed on their website
http://www.examkrackers.com/MCAT/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx
Unfortunately, you will have to buy more books (who knew how expensive this whole process would get!!). They make everything straight forward and easy to understand and I feel like they cut out a lot of unnecessary info. I have taken 7 FLs (2 from kaplan and 5 from AAMC) and I haven't come across anything that hadn't been reviewed in the EK books. They should definitely help. At least you don't have to be worried about VR!! I am struggling with verbal, 7's all the way:thumbdown:. I'm having a hard time changing that. (Hence, while I'm looking for a different date to take my test and willing to drive 7 hours away!).

Hope this is helpful

I like EK for bio/orgo, kaplan for genchem/orgo, and nova for physics.

Ditto, Nova does a good job with Physics. EK is basically the standard review book for all 4 subjects. TBR and 1001EK bio helped me out grilling the concepts. TBR gets you prepared for the passage based questions as well as dense passages. The only drawbacks are: its time consuming and it does make you less confident IMO due to the tough and really specific questions. But I did learn from them and thats why I'm doing descent on the AAMC PS and BS sections.

Lastly, I basically memorized that kaplan laminated cheat sheet for all sections. It may seem too much, but if you did the content review ahead of time....you should be able to breeze through it.

I still can't believe I got a 7 on my AAMC 7 verbal yesterday. That definitely messed my night up; I couldn't even review the questions I missed because I was distressed. For those who've taken AAMC 10 and 11, were the passages from those two CBTs just as difficult as the ones in CBT#7?