The Official 7/2/2009 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rprasan1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so you want to take the MCAT. You've found the urge to be a doctor, or you're doing it because you're pre-med, didn't realize what you were signing up for, and feel it's too late to back out now:p.

You've figured out where you stand, how far you need to go, and decided that the best date to take the MCAT is the 2nd of July 2009 because:

I) You want to fall into the 'early application' bucket, but still want to postpone it as far out as possible (else you'd have registered for June 18th ;))
II) You want to study your ass off over summer break, but still want to be done in time for the July 4th weekend
III) This is your second/third/fourth... attempt, and you've promised yourself this will be the lastest time everest.

Which of the above is/are true?

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) II and III only
D) I, II and III
E) None of the above, you crazy nerd. Stop wasting your time framing mindless questions and start studying already.

Anyhow, folks, welcome to the Official 7/2/2009 MCAT Club!!! We're all in this together, so let's lick this sucker!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
btw, after waiting for close to an hour, i finally registered for the test at 10:15 am this morning.

good luck to all of you out there registering! the website is up and functioning, you just need to be patient and 'wait your turn' (whatever than means. isn't it ridiculous waiting in line online?!)

hope all of you early birds get your first-choice dates and test centers.

I'm in Category B! But yeah the registration was gruellllling today...waited from 12:30-2:10pm... not fun haha but at least i'm done with that

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome, Jolt21 and CardioPlus! Have you ppl started the fun yet? I've started studying, barely. Registering for the test was going to be my stimulant. We'll see...

ya registration was awful I had to wait for hours. I am B also. What is the final date for early admission??

ya registration was awful I had to wait for hours. I am B also. What is the final date for early admission??

The final date for considering an application early varies from school to school. Those med schools that have rolling admissions will likely start reviewing the first set of applications in June. This process takes a while, though, because of the number of applications and the availability of the admissions committee members (many professors take a few weeks off in summer). So the first set of interview letters will probably be sent out mid- or late-August.

It's therefore likely that if you've completed your application/s by the time the MCAT scores are released (~early Aug), you'll be considered 'early'. Keep in mind though that this varies widely, even among schools that have rolling admissions.

Those that don't have rolling admissions will review all applications at the same time- after the deadline- so applying early is not beneficial in those cases.

Last edited:
I'm actually choices I and III...i graduated last year and have a full time job, so no summer break for me. And since its my 2nd time, you could technically say I started studying last September with a 30 day break from 1/30-3/3. But i just started REstudying yesterday.

Welcome, Jolt21 and CardioPlus! Have you ppl started the fun yet? I've started studying, barely. Registering for the test was going to be my stimulant. We'll see...

thanks prasan1985! Yeah i've been saying, ok i'm gonna start today..okay today is the day.. for the past week haha but i did manage to start.. i think registering def helped to kick me in the butt.. Now i just have to kick this test in the butt! lol easier said than done

thanks prasan1985! Yeah i've been saying, ok i'm gonna start today..okay today is the day.. for the past week haha but i did manage to start.. i think registering def helped to kick me in the butt.. Now i just have to kick this test in the butt! lol easier said than done

tell me about it! easier said than done, indeed. we'll get there... eventually. just need to chug through the crapload of info.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the invitation. hopefully we can use this thread as a tool and help each other out as time progresses. I dk about you all but I am scared sh*Tless about this exam....i just want to get it over with.

thanks for the invitation. hopefully we can use this thread as a tool and help each other out as time progresses. I dk about you all but I am scared sh*Tless about this exam....i just want to get it over with.

i think we're all scared to some extent, and that's a good thing. try not to let the fear get to you though. it's a test, just a test.

here's what Vihsadas (SDN mod) has to say:

"Guys, you really can do this. Just treat the MCAT like a big game, a competition of sorts that you are trying to win at. Get excited about studying and doing better on the next practice exam. If you are able to take that pseudo-masochistic viewpoint, the MCAT almost becomes fun. Put your mind, body, soul…put your entire existence into this MCAT for a few months. Remember, it’ll be worth it in the end. If I can do it, you can to. You just have to figure out the best way for you to gain your own success. Good luck, and kick that MCAT straight in the crotch!"

I'd highly recommended his MCAT study strategy to anyone interested. Here's the link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6695902&postcount=273

and yes, we should definitely use this thread to help each other out. we're all in this together!

ya i totally agree. I mean it really boils down to just being a test, but it is a test that really determines a lot about what my future job will be or not. I just have the mentality that I am going to try my absolute hardest and study rigorously (few breaks haha here and there) and see what happens.

II and III here.
Doing the MCATs for the first time on Saturday but will probably void it. Scoring sub-30 on the AAMC tests.
My PS needs work. About to buy the AAMC MCAT book. Anyone using it yet?

I promised myself I would stay away from SDN this time around, but gave in. I am also retaking the MCAT in July and am hoping to score a lot better this year. I did horrible last year (a 17..ouch). I seem to doing a lot better in PS and BS, but can't seem to raise my score in VR. I am still getting in the 4-5 range. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

II and III here.
Doing the MCATs for the first time on Saturday but will probably void it. Scoring sub-30 on the AAMC tests.
My PS needs work. About to buy the AAMC MCAT book. Anyone using it yet?

welcome joegrind. how did the test go on saturday?

i have the AAMC book, and think it's worth the money for the extra practice questions you get, along with detailed answers. the questions are from previous MCATs (but not from CBTs 3-10). it's especially worth it if you want to purchase one of the AAMC MCATs together with the book. ($15 for the test instead of $35 normally).

I promised myself I would stay away from SDN this time around, but gave in. I am also retaking the MCAT in July and am hoping to score a lot better this year. I did horrible last year (a 17..ouch). I seem to doing a lot better in PS and BS, but can't seem to raise my score in VR. I am still getting in the 4-5 range. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

welcome, olygt. VR can be especially tough to improve on, but fortunately we still have 3 more months. I personally don't have too many problems with VR, but feel the EK strategies are awesome, because as I read them I realized that the strategies they mention are exactly the ones I've been following for VR. So, my suggestion is to take their words to heart and practice, practice, practice! the EK VR 101 should help you with this as well.

welcome joegrind. how did the test go on saturday?

i have the AAMC book, and think it's worth the money for the extra practice questions you get, along with detailed answers. the questions are from previous MCATs (but not from CBTs 3-10). it's especially worth it if you want to purchase one of the AAMC MCATs together with the book. ($15 for the test instead of $35 normally).

Thanks for responding rprasan1985.
It was a humbling experience. The PS was time consuming. This killed my confidence and the VR didn't help at all. I felt better after the WS and was looking foward to the bio... I even skipped my break. I generally do well on the BS (>10) even though it is graded harder. But after the first 2 passage-type question, I lost focus. The topics on some questions were intriguing, but I knew I was guessing too much. I ended up voiding. I bought the AAMC book the same day and it should arrive shortly.

There's a website called stikk.com where you can commit and track your goals if anyone is interested.
The problem I had with the studying was that I was doing content review by subject and then practicing after doing all subjects. This led me to be studying physics in December, and not practicing until mid-February. I plan to do two chapters of content review per day...alternating subjects throughout the week. Then do 1 Kaplan FL on Saturdays and then subject specific quizzes on Sundays. I hope this will work. I will finish CR by May 1 and then do nothing but subject quizzes and AAMC tests in May and June.
13 weeks to go.

Count me in! I'm in it to win it on the 2nd!

I'm new here and my posts will be probably be sporadic at best, so in advance I would like to bid TEAM JULY G'Luck.:luck:

Currently on a 3-month plan: 1.5 months of CR and Kaplan FL, and 1.5 months of AAMC tests and quizzes.
88 days to go!!

Been studying off and on since Mid-January and about to finish the in class Berk Review course. Roughly 80% through TBR chem and physics passages, and have downed a few EK and Kaplan Bio passages. For the most part am ignoring organic "content" review, since I am currently ending a year long romance with that particular course, but I am hitting some O-chem passages up. My neurosis is really starting to set in...

ya 2 month program here. I enrolled in Kaplan's class like in Oct. and ended late March. I "thought" I would be way ahead of the game, but the class was awful and I just could not keep up because of my actual school work being too much. So I am basically starting May 2nd till July. One good thing about Kaplan is the enormous amount of online material they dish out with 18 practice tests....I still am scared sh*tless

ya 2 month program here. I enrolled in Kaplan's class like in Oct. and ended late March. I "thought" I would be way ahead of the game, but the class was awful and I just could not keep up because of my actual school work being too much. So I am basically starting May 2nd till July. One good thing about Kaplan is the enormous amount of online material they dish out with 18 practice tests....I still am scared sh*tless

Yeah I also took kaplan it was also horrible for me since I took it with a full load of classes as well. I lost the material since I could not keep up with the work, but that was like 1 year and half ago. This will be my second go, lets see if 2 months will do. I need a 30 or 30+ :scared:. Confidence time lol :cool:

I'm glad I'm not alone. I was so certain I'd be much further along than I am now... working and school and keeping up with bills and etc while trying to put in decent MCAT study time... omg. I'll be busy this summer too, but not have other classes I have to invest study time into.

My acid indigestion question was whether July 2 is fairly late or not... but June 18 is full within an hour of where I live, and July 2 barely has a spot left a half hour away. UGH!

It's just a big giant flaming hoop we all have to jump through! >_<

aite ppl, so we have some first-timers and some veterans here... welcome all! no matter if you've worked your butt off already or haven't yet started, because there's still a solid chunk of time left before D-day. you early birds keep up the good work, and as for the grasshoppers: time to get crackin'...

we're all in this together, so let's rock this test!

I) You want to fall into the 'early application' bucket, but still want to postpone it as far out as possible (else you'd have registered for June 18th ;))
Not to be a downer, but just so you're aware: Submitting your AMCAS in August isn't really early. A select few people will even have interviewed by the time your transcripts are verified

What you can do is: Submit your AMCAS in June/July, send in transcripts, and submit AMCAS to only 1 school. This way they'll verify everything, so when you get your MCAT scores August 2nd you can submit, and schools will have your application right then. No waiting 2-3 weeks for AMCAS to verify transcripts.

So I didn't get many responses when I made the thread earlier, but thought it might spark response here. So I was just curious how people took notes when they did content review.

Do you a) use a computer for note taking
or b) use paper

And what are your reasons for one over the other. Just curious questions.

So I didn't get many responses when I made the thread earlier, but thought it might spark response here. So I was just curious how people took notes when they did content review.

or b) use paper

I took/ taking notes for my CR...I prefer notes...because I'm not that good of a typist...and I also like scribbling in the margins, etc. In fact, I use the Cornell method of note taking. Can be found here.
I also prefer notes because I can carry them everywhere, don't need a power source...in general just more convenient.

I do a little of both, but I always like to "clean up" my notes and put them into a word document. They just seem to have more staying power that way.

Since my content review has been primarily passage based, I have an excel spreadsheet with the passage name, number wrong, etc.

The most important column on my spreadsheet is the "*&#! I missed column". I essentially type out my explanations to the stuff I got wrong, and then insert a hyperlink in excel that goes straight to a corresponding word document. It is time consuming, but it is really convenient when you start accruing a ton of notes.

Okay, so maybe I'm really revealing my newb-hood by asking this, but what exactly do you mean with the term "content review"?

Are we referring to going back over the zillion pages of Genetics and Biochem notes we took, or using ExamKrackers/Kaplan type of review material?

I'm using Exam Krackers, and trying to follow the 10 week thing (modified due to work/school schedules). I converted the cd's into mp3s and play them in my car etc. (They're cheesy but help a lot.) The books are good, I just wish I had more time in general.

What else are you doing to review material, my July2 brethren?

Okay, so maybe I'm really revealing my newb-hood by asking this, but what exactly do you mean with the term "content review"?

Are we referring to going back over the zillion pages of Genetics and Biochem notes we took, or using ExamKrackers/Kaplan type of review material?

I'm using Exam Krackers, and trying to follow the 10 week thing (modified due to work/school schedules). I converted the cd's into mp3s and play them in my car etc. (They're cheesy but help a lot.) The books are good, I just wish I had more time in general.

What else are you doing to review material, my July2 brethren?

Well CR for me involves going through the Kaplan notes, utilizing flash cards doing chapter quizzes but generally trying to go over the concepts according to the AAMC website. My weakest area is the PS, so I'm spending more time there and SLOWLY working through it.
I'm mixing in some Kaplan FL in there too.

Omg wow. I've wandered around on the AAMC website and read quite a few things, but I had no idea it had official detailed lists of content topics.

I greatly appreciate pointing that out to me! Honestly, I'm not sure how I overlooked it...

I'm glad I changed my MCAT date. The more CR I do, the more time I realize I need. >_<

You took a Kaplan course. Did you get much out of the course? A couple of my friends who took it say they wish they'd just bought the books and done the prep on their own to save the nearly $2k, but I'm curious what notes you took.

Omg wow. I've wandered around on the AAMC website and read quite a few things, but I had no idea it had official detailed lists of content topics.

I greatly appreciate pointing that out to me! Honestly, I'm not sure how I overlooked it...

I'm glad I changed my MCAT date. The more CR I do, the more time I realize I need. >_<

You took a Kaplan course. Did you get much out of the course? A couple of my friends who took it say they wish they'd just bought the books and done the prep on their own to save the nearly $2k, but I'm curious what notes you took.
Yeah...that was the same way I felt...the 'teachers' basically just regurgitated the course book. The most I got out of the course was all the internet based stuff. My situation is a bit different though...I originally paid for kaplan in 2006...at that time I think I paid $1400 with my tri-Beta discount , to do the MCAT in 2007. However, I was in the reserves and went back to Iraq....when I got back, they gave me some more time for the computer based stuff. As I said the internet based review is most helpful, as it structures your studying...in terms of quizzing etc.
Glad you found the AAMC stuff.
As for the notes I took....it was strictly from the prep books (kaplan and ek) and me putting it into my own words....I still am doing it so I may not be the best person to ask.

72 Days to go!!

or b) use paper

I've just been note-taking on paper. For me, writing down helps me understand and memorize, but I usually don't make notes for review later.

For the FL tests, however, I have been carefully note-taking on my laptop, including details like what kind of question I missed, what category it falls under, what I need to review, and if applicable, what strategy I can use to avoid the same kind of mistake in the future. I find that this helps me identify common themes in the mistakes I make, and also points out topics that I have the most trouble with.

So when are you guys planning on starting the FL exam.. how many and how ofter are you going to do? Besides the AAMCS I think I'm going to try and go Kaplan and EK maybe even gold standard.

I've done 1 AAMC FL. It gives me a good starting point, a good idea of how it feels to take the exam in its entirety, and I know what I need to work on.
For example, I got a 12 in VR, but a 5 in PS and 9 in BS. My weak points are obvious - it's been more years than I want to admit since I took Physics, and I hadn't really started my CR.
EK is great, but then again I don't know what Kaplan has to offer.
Let's see how far I can bring the PS and BS up with EK!
I plan on buying several more FL from AAMC, but it's costly... any suggestions on who else has good FL exams I can get ahold of?

Last edited:
any suggestions on who else has good FL exams I can get ahold of?

I bought the ten Gold Standard FL tests on ebay for less than $50. they're not very representative of the AAMC style of passages/questions, but they're good practice. i find them pretty useful because they point out where i need to focus my studying on. the tests are generally harder than AAMC, so they're ego-killers. but overall, my verdict for GS is good practice for cheap!

I took a FL for my kaplan course back in like Feb and got a 21. So since then I have not taken one b/c I really have not had time to study. So I have like 16 tests left like 10 Kaplans and 6 AAMC I plan to take as many as I can of those

Yah I have gold standard ten tests. Plan to do one test every friday while CR for 4-5 weeks. Than practice with FL about 3 a week for the last 3 weeks. That should give me enough practice. That if I said it right is about 13 tests in total for practice.

I have ten gold standards
And will buy 3-4 AAMC even though I have gone through all of them before. It will be good to get in the mindset of them again.

Whoever is counting down days stop haha you are scaring me.

hey guys, im currently signed for the june 18th test. i was thinking about the july 2nd. do u guys think there is much of a difference in regards to applying early between those two dates

hey guys, im currently signed for the june 18th test. i was thinking about the july 2nd. do u guys think there is much of a difference in regards to applying early between those two dates

no, i don't think so. it's very unlikely that 2 weeks will make a huge difference in terms of early application. having said that, would two weeks of extra preparation time make a huge difference in your MCAT score?