The Official 8/14/2009 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get Excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Omg less then 40 days!!!!!!! Must study harder, right now ive been doing about 8 hours a day for the last 40. Half way there...

Hello guys, is there any website that gives you biology publications? science publications? Appreciate it.

what sort of publications are you looking for? if you want research papers there's pubmed, but that's certainly not the place you should be looking for mcat study material. good websites for biology mcat are few and far between, and while you can definitely use the internet to help you study biology, i personally feel like using one or more review books should be the basis of your studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man... a little more than a month out and im already shi**ing bricks. Kind of hard to accept that you've passed every hurdle and it all comes down to THIS. No pressure or anything.....

hey guys!

um...i only have like 3-4 hours a day to study.........what should I be doing? it's not enough time for me to read the chapters in kaplan and examkrackers and do the 1001 questions and do the back of the book EK practice exams is it? idk....i'm feeling really frustrated.

Hey, another first-timer here too! While SDN has been a wealth of info for study tips, all those 35-40+ scores are starting to look intimidating...

How far are you guys in content reviews?

Biology - finished all chapters once, half way through second review
Chemistry - finished once, gonna try to review again
Organic Chemistry - finished once, gonna try to get through it again
Physics - half way through
Verbal - doing 2-3 passages every other day

Have not taken any practice tests yet.

Omg less then 40 days!!!!!!! Must study harder, right now ive been doing about 8 hours a day for the last 40. Half way there...

lol you must be crazy. I can bearly even get a few hours in a day...i am sooooo lazy grr x.x

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, getting confused as to which official thread I should post in. I guess this is the new one! Good luck everyone -- I'm starting to get really nervous as it approaches. Starting AAMC exams in about a wk, so fingers crossed my scores continues to go up.

I've finished Physics w/ the exception of optics (soop boring, unmotivated to study it) and about to start reviewing x2 here
GChem I'm totally done w/ and will review upon any incorrect answers on FLs
Bio I'm 2/3 done and my score still blows in this section... would be fine if I could get this up!
Orgo haven't started yet and will be starting hardcore tomorrow. >.<

Ahh, getting confused as to which official thread I should post in. I guess this is the new one! Good luck everyone -- I'm starting to get really nervous as it approaches. Starting AAMC exams in about a wk, so fingers crossed my scores continues to go up.

I've finished Physics w/ the exception of optics (soop boring, unmotivated to study it) and about to start reviewing x2 here
Bio I'm 2/3 done and my score still blows in this section... would be fine if I could get this up!

I get what you mean - my BS score is still waaaay lower compared to all my other sections. Good luck with your studying though!

I get what you mean - my BS score is still waaaay lower compared to all my other sections. Good luck with your studying though!

You too! If you find something that makes your score go up a couple points, let me know and I'll do the same.

I still have to study for physics. It's my least favorite subject so I'm saving it for last.

I still have to study for physics. It's my least favorite subject so I'm saving it for last.

^^ This is why I've finished almost everything else and I have *all* of my orgo review still left to do. Hopefully, tho, tackling this horrible subject will help my bio score jump a bit.

GL w/ the physics. I hear TBR makes it bearable. I used Kaplan and my score shot up 4 pts right away, so I'd advocate that it did a decent job for me. Still wish I'd gotten TBR though.

Bio, physics, orgo down, 4 more lectures of GChem to go then massive review and questions till test day

Just took AAMC 3 last night and improved almost 10 pts from any Kaplan FL. The score is definitely inflated, and Orgo is for sure bringing me down (still haven't brought myself to study it), but there is hope yet. Thank goodness!
PS. Wow, verbal is way different, and way harder imho.

Nah, that's not an unfortunately if you can get your PS to meet that score. And PS is the easiest to improve the most on imho

Just wondering, but when's the last day to withdraw from the 8/14 MCAT? I'm not planning on delaying it but just in case.

Anyone else applying this cycle as well? Does taking the exam on the 14th make the application really late for this cycle? Thanks!

I'm considering delaying it. My TPR test average is 27 (8 BS! :scared:). Don't know if I can pull my average up to a 30 in barely a month....

Same here. I keep thinking about delaying, but then I don't want to keep studying during my school year. (Also, I recently took an AAMC practice test and it was MUCH easier than TPR in my opinion, got 4 points better (31) than my TPR avg.) I'll have to see how this last month goes

How far are you guys in content reviews?

Biology - finished all chapters once, half way through second review
Chemistry - finished once, gonna try to review again
Organic Chemistry - finished once, gonna try to get through it again
Physics - half way through
Verbal - doing 2-3 passages every other day

Have not taken any practice tests yet.

I don't know how well you are at verbal. But you need to be doing more practice. Don't take verbal lightly. Get yourself EK101 and take the tests every 2 days or so.

I'm considering delaying it. My TPR test average is 27 (8 BS! :scared:). Don't know if I can pull my average up to a 30 in barely a month....

You still have time to improve your score. Find out what you are doing wrong. What concepts are the weakest? the best way to improve your score is to turn your weaknesses into your strength.

yeah Marble, before you delay take an AAMC. Most people go up from their TPR score by a few pts when switching over b/c TPR is supposed to be harder/deflated score wise.

anyone else feel nauseous thinking about the MCAT getting closer? I'm taking AAMC5 today and am really nervous. can't bring myself to start it. made a 36 & 35 on AAMC3 & 4, respectively. I'm sooo nervous this is just a fluke and that my score will drop a ton. Just want it to stay above 30 come test day :(

also, doesn't help that i feel really, really tired all of the time lately. anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?

Bump.

^ lol, no way is a 35/36 a fluke.

lol -- I hope not. we'll see as I finish up the last few FLs.

On another note -- I'm super disappointed in this thread. Either this date is really unpopular, or people taking it on this date are just much better at me than staying off SDN. Either way, I'm sort of sad to know we won't single-handedly crash SDN when our test results come out like the June 18th bunch (53 pages!). Lame.

Meh, I'm getting so tired of MCAT studying. I haven't been doing much else these last two and a half months. How about you? Are you applying this cycle?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm definitely in the same boat as far as being sick of it. Woke up about 45 mins ago and can't seem to force myself to study -- and I took today off to do so. I've got to make some more leeway on organic. It's hard to do the same, horrible thing for too long.

And no, I'm not applying this cycle :( I'm an upcoming junior, and just really want the advantage of applying early, as well as not having to take this exam next semester when I'm taking 18 hrs and working full time at the hospital >.<

Hello, I'm taking the MCAT on 8/14, too. This will be my second attempt - I took the 3/28/09 test and was very, very unhappy with my score. :( Hopefully, things will go better on 8/14, especially since I am applying this year. 20 days to go! :scared:

Hey guys, I'm also 8/14..getting really nervous, but at the same time can't WAIT to get it over with! Right now I'm just doing practice tests, and my scores are so confusing! My highest Kaplan FL (#3) was a 38, but my highest on an AAMC (#5) so far has only been 33. Is anyone else experiencing this??

Hey guys, I'm also 8/14..getting really nervous, but at the same time can't WAIT to get it over with! Right now I'm just doing practice tests, and my scores are so confusing! My highest Kaplan FL (#3) was a 38, but my highest on an AAMC (#5) so far has only been 33. Is anyone else experiencing this??

AAMC scores are more reliable.

^ Sorry, didn't mean it that way. :oops:

Funny thing though: I just took my first PS test tonight (AAMC3) and got a 12. I studied really really hard for BS and have taken all the AAMC BS practice tests and my highest on those was only an 11. :rolleyes:

F*** the mcat. Just thought id throw that in there.

Doin a bunch of passages lately and am getting frustrated with making simple mistakes. I know the material but its just not working out. Anyone in a similar situation with advice to get out of the rut?

My VR has been stuck at 11 for three weeks. Its just so annoying that it doesnt budge, although I'm happy with the score. I just dont want to be scoring 11s now and then a 9 on the real thing.

So my TPR FL average was a 27. Yesterday I took AAMC 8 and got a 33 (11/11/11) and the day before that I got a 30 (9/10/11) on AAMC 7. I'm sick of this **** and just ready to be done with MCAT forever.

Hey i just took the june 18th mcat and i had 3 orgo passages and i just dont remember any of the practice tests having that much orgo, it seems like theres a recent trend of more orgo - just a heads up

Bored. I think I'm ready to take this damn thing. In another 2 and a half weeks I'll be saturated with this stuff. Still need to work on some PS content, but other than that I think I'm good. How's your studyin goin?