The Official 8/14/2009 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get Excited!

Members don't see this ad.

WHat do you guys think?

I got a 37

11: PS

12: VR

14: BS

But I got an O in writing. I'm pretty shocked by that. I did kind of freeze up on the essays but I still wrote a solid amount, with good examples, and great vocabulary.

I was expecting at least a Q. How important is the writing score?

Hey,

I took the MCAT for the first time right after my sophomore year.

I studied for about a month and a half solid.

I know I can do much better. I don't apply till May 2010.

Thanks

Last edited:
WHat do you guys think?

I got a 37

11: PS

12: VR

14: BS

But I got an O in writing. I'm pretty shocked by that. I did kind of freeze up on the essays but I still wrote a solid amount, with good examples, and great vocabulary.

I was expecting at least a Q. How important is the writing score?

Retake asap

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally checked my scores.

PS:10
VR:9
BS:10
WR:O

29O.

It's not over 30, but hey, even if I retake, this is the lowest I can get so I'm happy. :)

Last edited:
5/28/09: 25M (10P, 5V, 10B)

8/14/09: 29M (10P, 8V, 11B)

I wanted a 30, but it's a nice improvement over my last score and is about my AAMC practice test average. Hopefully it's good enough to get me in this cycle!

I really do hate verbal.

Quick Q's guys, are these scores similar to your average scores or off by a significant amount?

the law of averages is really a rule of thumb when it comes to human performance. I never broke a 32 on all my practice AMC ones and in those tests i was destroying PS and BR (10-11, 12-13, respectively) and getting OWNED in verbal (8-9). The math on if you take all the averages of my practice tests was roughly a 28. Then test day came and I blew my average out of the water (35R). All I have to say is that it is a good measurement to see where you may fall on test day, but it by no means limits your abilities. I got a 15 in VR on my real test, meanwhile I never cracked a 10 on ALL the AMC ones. Ultimately, averages become a crapshoot if you throw in the ultimate variable of the human brain and human performance under pressure.

Does anyone know, do we have to do anything to get the scores sent out to the schools or do they load automatically?

Does anyone know, do we have to do anything to get the scores sent out to the schools or do they load automatically?

If they are AMCAS schools then they will loaded automatically. I got a secondary this morning from a school that was waiting for my MCAT score, so you're good.

the law of averages is really a rule of thumb when it comes to human performance. I never broke a 32 on all my practice AMC ones and in those tests i was destroying PS and BR (10-11, 12-13, respectively) and getting OWNED in verbal (8-9). The math on if you take all the averages of my practice tests was roughly a 28. Then test day came and I blew my average out of the water (35R). All I have to say is that it is a good measurement to see where you may fall on test day, but it by no means limits your abilities. I got a 15 in VR on my real test, meanwhile I never cracked a 10 on ALL the AMC ones. Ultimately, averages become a crapshoot if you throw in the ultimate variable of the human brain and human performance under pressure.

Thats crazy! My scores come in next week. I never crossed a 12 in VR but averaged like 8-10. Hope i can get 13-15!!

Hey,

I took the MCAT for the first time right after my sophomore year.

I studied for about a month and a half solid.

VR-8
PS-9
BS-9
WS-N

CU- 26N

I know I can do much better. I don't apply till May 2010. I have a 3.9+ GPA with a great deal of leadership, research, and clinical experience. Any advice? Just take it again right? I guess I am just discouraged.

Thanks

Same situation here. Took it for the first time after sophmore year.
28Q.
4.0 gpa at UF. president of a community service club. involved in research. lots of health related work/volunteer experience. i know i need to take it again, but what do i do?? I'm discouraged too.

To someone who got a crazy good score:
how did you do this??? should i take kaplan or princeton review or something??

F*** the MCAT. Finally done with that stupid test. Ive sat for it four times over the past 3 years (only kept 3). Just got a 32S on 8/14 exam. Previous 2 scores sub 30. The first time i took it was after junior year, i got a 25. I didnt study nearly as hard as i did this time around. so keep your heads up and for anyone who didnt hit their mark this time around, know that your hard work will pay off.

Let me say that again.

hard work will pay off.

Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle.

F*** the MCAT. Finally done with that stupid test. Ive sat for it four times over the past 3 years (only kept 3). Just got a 32S on 8/14 exam. Previous 2 scores sub 30. The first time i took it was after junior year, i got a 25. I didnt study nearly as hard as i did this time around. so keep your heads up and for anyone who didnt hit their mark this time around, know that your hard work will pay off.

Let me say that again.

hard work will pay off.

Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle.

I completely agree. From a 27 to 33, devoted my entire summer to it and had no life. ITS OVER! You really have to devote yourself to the exam if you do bad the first time but it definately is possible to do much better. Yeay for improvements :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little fed up with you guys posting your scores above 32. I come here and read through these threads to make myself feel better about my July 30th 32 and to think I'm special, only to be belittled by the flood of 34+ scores. :p If this doesn't stop I'm going to start making excuses and explaining why I really deserved a score higher than everyone else. :D

In reality what impresses me far more than the people posting with higher scores are the people posting scores in the 20's. That takes a lot of honesty and courage. My ego is too fragile I couldn't do it. At the same time what's with the users posting high scores and a total of 2-5 posts? So you didn't create an account to participate or ask questions, or better yet answer any? You only create an account to toot your horn about the score? What kind of a person does that?

In reality what impresses me far more than the people posting with higher scores are the people posting scores in the 20's. That takes a lot of honesty and courage. My ego is too fragile I couldn't do it.

as someone who has scored in the 20s for all three of my mcats, i wouldn't say it necessary takes much courage. honesty is one thing, since im sure many people falsify their scores, but to lie about it to everyone else would also be to lying to yourself. making yourself appear smarter doesn't make you smarter, and certainly won't do you any good when applying to schools.

i don't think the mcat is very indicative about intelligence, commitment to medicine, nor passion to become a physician. although standardized tests are administered as a method of comparison, i don't see any shame in not scoring a 32, 35, 37, etc. people who get below a 30 still get into schools and become amazing doctors.

i think the people who are truly concerned about posting sub-30 scores or lie about their score are insecure, and maybe super competitive. i think they need to face reality or suck it up and not become jealous and inflammatory towards other who do score well. i would encourage people to be open about sharing their scores so they can get feedback on how to improve. i don't see sdn as a place for people to brag and show off. for the most part it's a very constructive place where students can get honest and objective feedback. i know i've gotten some great feedback from people who have had more experience with the application process and can look at me as an applicant, not as a friend or family member.

these are all my own personal thoughts, so i don't mean to be disrespectful or insult others with different opinions.

as someone who has scored in the 20s for all three of my mcats, i wouldn't say it necessary takes much courage. honesty is one thing, since im sure many people falsify their scores, but to lie about it to everyone else would also be to lying to yourself. making yourself appear smarter doesn't make you smarter, and certainly won't do you any good when applying to schools.

i don't think the mcat is very indicative about intelligence, commitment to medicine, nor passion to become a physician. although standardized tests are administered as a method of comparison, i don't see any shame in not scoring a 32, 35, 37, etc. people who get below a 30 still get into schools and become amazing doctors.

i think the people who are truly concerned about posting sub-30 scores or lie about their score are insecure, and maybe super competitive. i think they need to face reality or suck it up and not become jealous and inflammatory towards other who do score well. i would encourage people to be open about sharing their scores so they can get feedback on how to improve. i don't see sdn as a place for people to brag and show off. for the most part it's a very constructive place where students can get honest and objective feedback. i know i've gotten some great feedback from people who have had more experience with the application process and can look at me as an applicant, not as a friend or family member.

these are all my own personal thoughts, so i don't mean to be disrespectful or insult others with different opinions.

Now, now.

probably both

I'm a little fed up with you guys posting your scores above 32.I come here and read through these threads to make myself feel better about my July 30th 32 and to think I'm special, only to be belittled by the flood of 34+ scores. :p If this doesn't stop I'm going to start making excuses and explaining why I really deserved a score higher than everyone else. :D

In reality what impresses me far more than the people posting with higher scores are the people posting scores in the 20's. That takes a lot of honesty and courage. My ego is too fragile I couldn't do it. At the same time what's with the users posting high scores and a total of 2-5 posts? So you didn't create an account to participate or ask questions, or better yet answer any? You only create an account to toot your horn about the score? What kind of a person does that?

whats wrong with a 32 I received a 32 with a nice distribution 11-10-11 and I am quite content. Stop complaining about not getting a 39 or whatever many people would kill for over a 30. You should be happy you did well period

whats wrong with a 32 I received a 32 with a nice distribution 11-10-11 and I am quite content. Stop complaining about not getting a 39 or whatever many people would kill for over a 30. You should be happy you did well period

I think you need to read my post more carefully. It was intended to be ripe with sarcasm and self depricating. I suppose I have to consider that it very well may be my bad writing though and not your reading as I did score an M on the writing sample after all. :eek:

first time in may 2009, got a 33Q after feeling really bad about my performance when i walked out the testing site. I wasn't satisfied with the score so i took it again.

now, i ended up with a 29N on the 8/14/2009. and the sad part is, I walked out of the testing site feeling SOOOOOO good about my test. i literally thougth i got every single question right on the PS and BS. and now i am crushed and discouraged. I have always been pretty good at gauging how i did on my tests throughout my college, and I am shocked that i did so horribly. i have performed well during my undergrad and i'm working at a hospital as a full time medical reseracher. but what is the point of all of this if i can't even perform well on the MCATs and that is going to determine where i end up?

i am numb from all of this. what is the point of trying to go to med school if i can't even gauge my own performance on a dinky test? :(:scared::(. i am so sorry for venting. it's been a sad few days and i didn't know where else to turn but to random strangers on a internet forum... :oops:

ps: i don't think there is anything wrong with being concerned/happy with a score in the 20s or 30s or 40s and posting it on this website. isn't that the whole point of the forum anways? congrats to those that are happy with your score, and good luck to those who plan to take it again!

Got a "meh" score.

28P

PS 9, VR 9, BS 10

Oh well. Not retaking. Good thing I live in Texas.

first time in may 2009, got a 33Q after feeling really bad about my performance when i walked out the testing site. I wasn't satisfied with the score so i took it again.

now, i ended up with a 29N on the 8/14/2009. and the sad part is, I walked out of the testing site feeling SOOOOOO good about my test. i literally thougth i got every single question right on the PS and BS. and now i am crushed and discouraged. I have always been pretty good at gauging how i did on my tests throughout my college, and I am shocked that i did so horribly. i have performed well during my undergrad and i'm working at a hospital as a full time medical reseracher. but what is the point of all of this if i can't even perform well on the MCATs and that is going to determine where i end up?

i am numb from all of this. what is the point of trying to go to med school if i can't even gauge my own performance on a dinky test? :(:scared::(. i am so sorry for venting. it's been a sad few days and i didn't know where else to turn but to random strangers on a internet forum... :oops:

ps: i don't think there is anything wrong with being concerned/happy with a score in the 20s or 30s or 40s and posting it on this website. isn't that the whole point of the forum anways? congrats to those that are happy with your score, and good luck to those who plan to take it again!
hey I'm sorry you've had the luck you have- incidentally this test wasn't kind to me either... My advice to you is not to give up- if you truly want this (and I'm fairly certain that you do), take the test one more time- prove to yourself (and med-schools) that 8/14 was a fluke. You know you can do well because you already have. Don't give up :) what else do we have to live for other than the chance to navigate through life, defeating the obstacles with which you are presented. Numbness fades- stare it I the face and defeat it- I wish you the best of luck :)

The MCAT isn't the deciding factor about whether or not you're getting into med school. I feel like so many people treat the MCAT as the ultimatum- do good and you're in, do bad and forget it- and that isn't the case. From the looks of it, you sound like you know what you want to do and nothing will stop you. A friend of mine got a 38 on his MCAT and didn't get in anywhere (did get interviews however), while I have another friend who got a 28 on his MCAT and got in to arguably the best school in the state (florida). Point of story is this- the MCAT gets your foot into the door, but you have to open it. My friend who got the 38 didn't have very much clinical experience or research experience, and never really had a real strong commitment to medicine. I wasn't at the interview but I'm sure he was running thin on things to talk about and ultimately that's what killed him. However, the 28 friend didn't have GREAT EC's but he definitely did his part to show that he was ready for the commitment of going to medical school and he got a few interviews and was accepted into all of those schools. Long story short- don't be discouraged, don't let a set back like this get in your way. There is more to it than the MCAT, and admissions committees will see that. Hope that helps.

38R

ps 14
vr 12
bs 12

I averaged a 38 on 20 practice tests, but I wish I could have made the upper end of my distribution which was a few 41's and a 42. I am very happy with my score, not to sound unsatisfied.