The Official 8/15/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome August 15ers! Thought I'd get this started since anyone doing a 3 month study schedule is going to be starting up soon. Good luck to everyone, and hopefully we can help each other out through this beast!

I just sat for the 4/26 exam which was pretty rough, and I know given the summer to study I can do much better. Let's do this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh yeah,EK 1001 is great for concept review. Lol,January is another six months of studying. Are u applying this cycle?

No, haha. And I am in school, so I wouldn't be able to study September through early December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this took some searching to find, why are we the loneliest MCAT date lol
Hope everyone's progress is going swell!
Doing anything exciting after this morning's(or afternoon's) AAMC FL #3?

Noooo idea why this is such a sad thread :( I already took AAMC 3!

I'm reviewing it now and can't believe I missed a question on PS because I forgot the speed of light!!
What'd you think of the verbal? To me it seemed soooo different than EK 101 and TPRHV, I wonder if it changes at all as you move up the practice exams

I'm reviewing it now and can't believe I missed a question on PS because I forgot the speed of light!!
What'd you think of the verbal? To me it seemed soooo different than EK 101 and TPRHV, I wonder if it changes at all as you move up the practice exams

It was pretty similar to TPRHVWB I thought! I looooove verbal.

I haven't finished content review yet so my sciences were lacking.

It was pretty similar to TPRHVWB I thought! I looooove verbal.

I haven't finished content review yet so my sciences were lacking.

Hmm, I've got to improve on my verbal, got a 10 :/
Got any tips?
I've generally been doing ~3 passages a day but after that practice exam my verbal confidence has begun to slack lol

Hmm, I've got to improve on my verbal, got a 10 :/
Got any tips?
I've generally been doing ~3 passages a day but after that practice exam my verbal confidence has begun to slack lol

I got a 12, so I'm not at a 15 or anything. Are you having a time or accuracy problem?

I took AAMC3 two weeks ago, so hopefully I'm a bit higher by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to submit my primary tomorrow (yes, I'm a little late) and then I'm going to do a FL every other day until game day. I'm anxious to see how everyone does, so good luck guys :)

I'm hoping to submit my primary tomorrow (yes, I'm a little late) and then I'm going to do a FL every other day until game day. I'm anxious to see how everyone does, so good luck guys :)

What FLs are you going to do? I plan to take all the AAMCs, but I don't know if I have the time to take additional ones or if it's even worth it if I do?

I should be done with content review next week. So I'm planning on taking FLs every other day from then on. I've already taken three, but I decided that it was a waste to take more before I finished content.

I'm also planning on doing every single passage and discrete in TPRHSWB. I have been working on that too -- around 20 passages a day. It's good review of the things I learned two months or so ago.

On the day that you're not taking FLs, are you planning on reviewing your test and doing practice problems based on your weaknesses? And what about the rest of the day that you took the FL? More practice problems? That sounds reasonable to me.

What FLs are you going to do? I plan to take all the AAMCs, but I don't know if I have the time to take additional ones or if it's even worth it if I do?

I took the TPR course so I will do all the AAMC's and as many TPR as I can manage. So far my tests have gone:

January 2013 AAMC #3- 22 (7PS/7VR/8BS)

4/26/13 real MCAT- 24 (10PS/8VR/6BS)

7/2/13 TPR FL#1- 20 (4PS/7VR/9BS) Don't hate, I had some issues while taking that test

The rest of my FLs will go roughly as follows:

July 16 TPR FL #2

July 18 TPR FL #3

July 20 TPR FL #4

July 22 TPR FL #5

July 25 TPR Cracking the MCAT #1

July 27 TPR Cracking the MCAT #2

July 29 TPR Online Review Series #1

July 31 AAMC #4

Aug. 2 AAMC #5

Aug. 4 AAMC #7

Aug. 6 AAMC #8

Aug. 8 AAMC # 9

Aug. 10 AAMC #10

Aug. 12 AAMC #11

Wow! That's a lot of full lengths y'all are doing. I was planning on doing just the AAMCs and the TPRH Science Workbook along with all the Berkeley problems. Should I include more practice tests? I have access to Kaplan 6-11, the free TPR test, the free Kaplan test, and the free GS.

Are you guys doing EK 101 Verbal? Test 13 is killllllling me. :(

Wow! That's a lot of full lengths y'all are doing. I was planning on doing just the AAMCs and the TPRH Science Workbook along with all the Berkeley problems. Should I include more practice tests? I have access to Kaplan 6-11, the free TPR test, the free Kaplan test, and the free GS.

Are you guys doing EK 101 Verbal? Test 13 is killllllling me. :(

TBH, I've stopped studying for verbal. I should pick it back up, but I haven't done a passage in 3 weeks or so.

I took the TPR course so I will do all the AAMC's and as many TPR as I can manage. So far my tests have gone:

January 2013 AAMC #3- 22 (7PS/7VR/8BS)

4/26/13 real MCAT- 24 (10PS/8VR/6BS)

7/2/13 TPR FL#1- 20 (4PS/7VR/9BS) Don't hate, I had some issues while taking that test

The rest of my FLs will go roughly as follows:

July 16 TPR FL #2

July 18 TPR FL #3

July 20 TPR FL #4

July 22 TPR FL #5

July 25 TPR Cracking the MCAT #1

July 27 TPR Cracking the MCAT #2

July 29 TPR Online Review Series #1

July 31 AAMC #4

Aug. 2 AAMC #5

Aug. 4 AAMC #7

Aug. 6 AAMC #8

Aug. 8 AAMC # 9

Aug. 10 AAMC #10

Aug. 12 AAMC #11

Hey Grady, don't mean to pry but why didnt you do the practices for your first test?

Hey Grady, don't mean to pry but why didnt you do the practices for your first test?

Was thinking the same. Winged it like a boss? :lol:

Haha basically. No I was stupid, and did everything you are not supposed to do when getting ready for the MCAT. I had a rough course load, I was working, I crapped out halfway through my content review so I didn't want to waste FLs when I wasn't ready but decided to take the real MCAT anyway.

I'm trying to cram as many FLs as I can in before the real thing, although I still feel very weak in some content areas. I'm hoping this time around pays off and all will be right with the world. I'm fine going DO, but need to get my score up to be competitive at the schools I want.

Speaking of FLs, just finished TPR #2- 22 (7PS, 6VR, 9BS). Taking the score with a grain of salt, because I've heard people say it before, but these TPR tests are demoralizing. PS and VR difficulty is quite a bit more than AAMC, with a much less forgiving curve it seems. BS however seems a bit easier than the real thing. The only thing keeping me going is having seen people score mid 20's on TPR tests and get 30's on the real thing.

Last edited:
Haha basically. No I was stupid, and did everything you are not supposed to do when getting ready for the MCAT. I had a rough course load, I was working, I crapped out halfway through my content review so I didn't want to waste FLs when I wasn't ready but decided to take the real MCAT anyway.

I'm trying to cram as many FLs as I can in before the real thing, although I still feel very weak in some content areas. I'm hoping this time around pays off and all will be right with the world. I'm fine going DO, but need to get my score up to be competitive at the schools I want.

Well you have some time, and seems as though you've taken measures to put you in a better position. I hope you do well. Make sure to go through all of the AAMCs thoroughly and treat them like a real test. I feel like they are probably the biggest prep that you can do for the test outside content mastery.

so whats everyones schedule looking like for the next month?!
im basically following sn2ed study guide but adding more practice tests...

good luck everyone!

so whats everyones schedule looking like for the next month?!
im basically following sn2ed study guide but adding more practice tests...

good luck everyone!

I should be finished with content review on Sunday! So then I will start taking practice tests every other day. On the day of my practice test, I will briefly review the test and then review chapters on things I did poorly on. I will also do lots of SWB and TBR passages of all subjects. The day after my practice test, I will thoroughly review every question, and write down the concept I missed and the reason why I missed the question for incorrect answers. Then I'll review that, do practice problems based on those concepts, and make sure they are now solidified. Rinse and repeat!!

I have two events coming up in the next few weeks that I plan on taking time off for: one is my birthday, and one is a few hour birthday party for my great grandmother. Hopefully those won't set me back too much.

How about you?

Also, are you guys planning on doing the AAMC Self Assessment Package? I am not sure when the best timing for those is.. I was thinking on the days between practice tests, but I wouldn't have much time to review them.

Argh, I'm just completely unsure of where I'd score if I took the test RIGHT NOW, and it's nervewracking! I've done lots of review and practice problems since my last FL. And I'm not planning on starting AAMCs until August 1st or so, so I won't have an accurate gauge of where I stand until then. Like you, Grady, my first TPR score was way lower than the tests I took before and after it. So I'm worried the TPR and TBR tests I take over the next few weeks will demoralise me. But I don't want to burn more AAMCs too early, and I don't want to waste the resources I already have.

ARGH! This summer has made me soooo neurotic.

Also, are you guys planning on doing the AAMC Self Assessment Package? I am not sure when the best timing for those is.. I was thinking on the days between practice tests, but I wouldn't have much time to review them.

Argh, I'm just completely unsure of where I'd score if I took the test RIGHT NOW, and it's nervewracking! I've done lots of review and practice problems since my last FL. And I'm not planning on starting AAMCs until August 1st or so, so I won't have an accurate gauge of where I stand until then. Like you, Grady, my first TPR score was way lower than the tests I took before and after it. So I'm worried the TPR and TBR tests I take over the next few weeks will demoralise me. But I don't want to burn more AAMCs too early, and I don't want to waste the resources I already have.

ARGH! This summer has made me soooo neurotic.

I have seen many people trying to take SA closing the end of the study cycle. Technically it is nothing wrong as whatever your strategy is. I just like to bring up the attention of everybody, in case you are not aware of, that SA is very long..........and if you have a very tight schedule marching toward the MCAT day, you may have a last minute surprise to fit it in your schedule.

The following are the time consumed recommended by AAMC:
Bio 128Q ~ 3 hr. (I found out ~ 4)
G-Chm 104Q ~ 2 hr. (I found out ~ 3)
O-Chm 80Q ~ 2 hr. ( I found out ~ 2.5)
Phys 109Q ~ 2 hr. ( I found out ~ 3)
VR 120Q ~ 3 hr. (I found out ~ 4)

There are 500+ questions.........

Last edited:
I have seen many people trying to take SA closing the end of the study cycle. Technically it is nothing wrong as whatever your strategy is. I just like to bring up the attention of everybody, in case you are not aware of, that SA is very long..........and if you have a very tight schedule marching toward the MCAT day, you may have a last minute surprise to fit it in your schedule.

The following are the time consumed recommended by AAMC:
Bio 128Q ~ 3 hr. (I found out ~ 4)
G-Chm 104Q ~ 2 hr. (I found out ~ 3)
O-Chm 80Q ~ 2 hr. ( I found out ~ 2.5)
Phys 109Q ~ 2 hr. ( I found out ~ 3)
VR 120Q ~ 3 hr. (I found out ~ 4)

There are 500+ questions.........

Wow, yeah... I'm definitely giving each one its own day!

Do you think it's wise to treat them like their own practice tests and do a whole subject in one go without interruption(maybe 10 min breaks) or can they be done just during any free time?

Do you think it's wise to treat them like their own practice tests and do a whole subject in one go without interruption(maybe 10 min breaks) or can they be done just during any free time?

The way is designed you can break any given time and the system will recall where you left off.

For each science subject, it is actually 4 FL length tests. The only difference is VR only has 3 FL test "length" of questions.

I think if I took the SAs right before the mcat, i would feel really insecure because I'd know exactly what my weak areas were. I feel like I'd rather take them over next week and the week after, so there is still a bit of time to spend focusing on the weaknesses.

Just finished TPR #3, and scored a 25 (8PS, 7VR, 10BS). tbh I'm celebrating inside because I'm improving with each FL I take, and given the difficulty of these tests I'm very excited about my potential to do well on the real thing.

Just finished TPR #3, and scored a 25 (8PS, 7VR, 10BS). tbh I'm celebrating inside because I'm improving with each FL I take, and given the difficulty of these tests I'm very excited about my potential to do well on the real thing.

That's awesome!!! Congrats! :) :) what's your goal?

I decided not to take any more TPR or TBR FLs to give myself more time to devote to taking and reviewing the SAs.

Argh, just got my work schedule and it totally looks like I could push my test date back a week. Trying to decide...

My realistic goal is a 30+, and I'm fine with DO. Thats a good point, I haven't worked the SA into my plan, I might do that after TPR 5
I would suggest you to do SA asap because it will point your weakness out and then you work on it for few day and then finally take those precious FL for more accurate predictions. just my 2 cents. By the way if you do plan on doing SA please discuss score on here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1020637

i keep making silly mistakes when im taking the FL. how did u guys minimize your errors? any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated

i keep making silly mistakes when im taking the FL. how did u guys minimize your errors? any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated

Concentrate. I don't believe in tips and tricks, but I corrected the same problem with just that one word. :hardy:

Concentrate. I don't believe in tips and tricks, but I corrected the same problem with just that one word. :hardy:

I have the same problem and I'm trying to get past the test-taking nerves with that same strategy. I seriously want to punch myself in the throat sometimes for some of the mistakes I make on FLs.

I have the same problem and I'm trying to get past the test-taking nerves with that same strategy. I seriously want to punch myself in the throat sometimes for some of the mistakes I make on FLs.

Yo that'd hurt. Adam's apples are the worst.

If it's any help, I believe that what you do before an FL matters a lot. If I was derping on SDN/fb and the like to "relax" a bit beforehand, I was more prone to making dumb errors. Then I started acting all solemn and lonely and **** and boom, no more.

I took a free practice MCAT offered by Kaplan yesterday. What have you guys heard in terms of whether it's easier/harder or resembles the actual thing?

I took a free practice MCAT offered by Kaplan yesterday. What have you guys heard in terms of whether it's easier/harder or resembles the actual thing?

I got a 14/11/10 on it back in February. 0 studying whatsoever.

PS was easy peasy, VR horrible as usual, BS more on par with all the BS (hahahahaha) science experiments.

I got a 14/11/10 on it back in February. 0 studying whatsoever.

PS was easy peasy, VR horrible as usual, BS more on par with all the BS (hahahahaha) science experiments.

Yea that's what I thought too, the PS was way too straightforward. I wanna take a bunhc of practice exams other than the AAMC ones but idk which to choose from and I'm even more reluctant to spend more and more money lol