The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea what keem said... I was just saying since that was his lowest score and that PS can be improved most easily.

... no need to be condescending towards me tryna help a person out lol
Ur right. My apologies. I read it wrong.

Hey guys, I took the May 8th test (score back June 10th). First off, congrats on studying, sitting for and waiting for the score of this big 'ol mistress. If you could go back and tell your six-days-from-getting-the-score self one thing, what would it be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I took the May 8th test (score back June 10th). First off, congrats on studying, sitting for and waiting for the score of this big 'ol mistress. If you could go back and tell your six-days-from-getting-the-score self one thing, what would it be?

Don't bother trying to think about the test and what questions you might have missed. It will just drive you crazy. Also, don't keep checking for your scores before the posted date.

Reactions: 1 users

Create a plan B, should your score be bad, and then leave the whole subject alone.

Don't bother trying to think about the test and what questions you might have missed. It will just drive you crazy. Also, don't keep checking for your scores before the posted date.
Ugh. I wish I could stop thinking about Verbal. I took it may 31st, which means I have 4 more weeks left of torture.

AAMC Average: 30-31 (highest was a 31)
Actual Score: 32 (PS:11, VR:10, BS:11)

This is the first time that I have ever posted on SDN but I wanted to let others who are in the same boat that I was in, there's still hope! I walked out of that test feeling awful and actually registered to retake it in July but I am happy with my score and cancelled my registration. I had never gotten a 12 on PS in any of my practice tests but I usually got 11 on the verbal section and my bio section was about a 10 or 11. I took an MCAT class and I don't know if it was the class itself or just having something to keep me focused but it helped! My tutor and most of the people I talked to said that I should expect to get a couple points lower than my average score (probably a 29).

I went through so many threads right before my test to compare people's averages to their actual scores to see if I had a chance to keep my AAMC average test. I just want to say that the MCAT doesn't turn out like people expect. There was probably a curve that definitely helped me but don't put too much weight on your practice test scores. They are a great predictor for some people but mine were consistently around 30 (I had one a month before my test at 27) and I took all of them. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
I'm back after having my account suspended by the moderator for an ignorant reason. Not all, but many of these moderators are ignorant and there is a high frequency of playing favorites.

Also, for those of you who scored in the 23-24 area, I was in your situation last year at this time. A few months later my score improved to 30+. Don't give up, keep practicing because you can get a better score and be starting medical school soon at this time next year.

AAMC Average: 30-31 (highest was a 31)
Actual Score: 33 (PS:12, VR:10, BS:11)

This is the first time that I have ever posted on SDN but I wanted to let others who are in the same boat that I was in, there's still hope! I walked out of that test feeling awful and actually registered to retake it in July but I am happy with my score and cancelled my registration. I had never gotten a 12 on PS in any of my practice tests but I usually got 11 on the verbal section and my bio section was about a 10 or 11. I took an MCAT class and I don't know if it was the class itself or just having something to keep me focused but it helped! My tutor and most of the people I talked to said that I should expect to get a couple points lower than my average score (probably a 29).

I went through so many threads right before my test to compare people's averages to their actual scores to see if I had a chance to keep my AAMC average test. I just want to say that the MCAT doesn't turn out like people expect. There was probably a curve that definitely helped me but don't put too much weight on your practice test scores. They are a great predictor for some people but mine were consistently around 30 (I had one a month before my test at 27) and I took all of them. Hope this helps someone!

Welcome to the 90th percentile club!! Wooh!!

Members don't see this ad :)
In my 5 months of lurking on this website, this is by far the smartest thing I have heard. I got a 28 10BS /7 VR /11PS And have just decided that I probably won't retake. Although Im disappointed in the 7, there is much more to this whole process than how well I can comprehend a few paragraphs. I am still confident that I can get in, I have a solid support group that believes in me, and most importantly I believe in myself.

Regardless of the score you get, if you don't believe in yourself, then why the hell will anyone else believe in your abilities
It is worth to remember that about 40% of applicants (about 19000 out of 47000) get into a medical school. Out of this 40% about half (20% or about 9500 students)) have an MCAT score of 30+, the other half who end up in a medical school have an MCAT score of <30.

I've only gotten the Columbia secondary so far...is this normal? I've been patiently....eagerly....uh waiting and I've gotten nothing else..

It depends on the school. I've already received 11 secondaries. Check the school specific forum for each school. People usually post when they receive a secondary.

Let's all take a moment of silence to think back to the day we knew we were getting our mcat scores back and were refreshing the Twitter/SDN posts. Today we're beginning to wait for medical school acceptances. Your welcome.

Let's all take a moment of silence to think back to the day we knew we were getting our mcat scores back and were refreshing the Twitter/SDN posts. Today we're beginning to wait for medical school acceptances. Your welcome.

Not that I wanted to wipe this day from my memory or anything.

I'm so glad I don't have to go through this again, now it's just the boards. woo....

Ah I can totally remember the day. I was going insane. Pretty similar experience to waiting to get a call from the first med school I interviewed at. So stressful! I feel like there are going to be a lot more instances like this coming up!

After my April 24th MCAT I thought I would never get in! I'm glad to say that I will be matriculating in the fall!! Congrats to everyone else who made it!

Bumping this thread for my fellow 04/24/14 MCAT takers. We made it! #Salute!

I was thinking of bumping eventually. Glad someone else did it!

Name change or am I going crazy? The avatar and name don't seem to match with what I remembered.

Attainabledream = ManofDiligence/URM 24MCAT thread? I remember the avatar from lurking posts awhile back. Congrats to you man! Your posts gave me hope!!

Attainabledream = ManofDiligence/URM 24MCAT thread? I remember the avatar from lurking posts awhile back. Congrats to you man! Your posts gave me hope!!

Yessir! Applied very broadly, grinded out those secondaries, and left the rest to God. Dreams come true!

Reactions: 2 users
I still remember the day the scores came out. We were all playing finish the sentence on this forum when someone trolled and said the scores are up. I cannot believe it has been almost a year. Goodluck comrades!!!

Where is everyone going????? I deferred my application until this year, and I want to see the schools that showed you all some love. Let me know! I'm still in the scary part!