The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Found it, it's here.

For the AAMC practice test score, I had taken a handful of practice tests from different companies and noticed that all of the different companies had fairly consistent conversion of raw percentages to scaled scores (getting 76% right always worked out to a 127, etc., with a little overlap). So I looked at what the conversions were like for the other practice tests I'd taken, and applied that to the AAMC exam. Here's the scale that I had based on my practice test scores -- note that I'm not saying that this is accurate or reflective of how AAMC actually scores exams, just that it appears to be the way that test prep companies are doing it:
124: 42%
125: 68%
126: 71%
127: 72-81%
128: 79-84%
129: 83-90%
130: 89-93%
131: 98%
132: 100%

Awesome! Thanks, that's actually quite helful. Again, congratulations! Good luck with your application :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Found it, it's here.

For the AAMC practice test score, I had taken a handful of practice tests from different companies and noticed that all of the different companies had fairly consistent conversion of raw percentages to scaled scores (getting 76% right always worked out to a 127, etc., with a little overlap). So I looked at what the conversions were like for the other practice tests I'd taken, and applied that to the AAMC exam. Here's the scale that I had based on my practice test scores -- note that I'm not saying that this is accurate or reflective of how AAMC actually scores exams, just that it appears to be the way that test prep companies are doing it:
124: 42%
125: 68%
126: 71%
127: 72-81%
128: 79-84%
129: 83-90%
130: 89-93%
131: 98%
132: 100%

What were your thoughts on the AAMC practice packs? Congrats btw.

Chem: 129 - 93%
Cars: 125 - 58%
Bio: 129 - 93%
Social: 124 - 43%

Total 507. -- 74%

I have amazing ECs. With volunteer hours, research, and many leadership positions.
I also have great letters and Personal Statement.

I have already summited my app. Should I retake? I really don't want too

I've been thinking about it all morning. I don't think I'm going to apply DO anymore. It's a scary thought, but I figure that even if no one accepts me this year, if I bump my GPA up another 10th of a point, surely I will be accepted somewhere next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been thinking about it all morning. I don't think I'm going to apply DO anymore. It's a scary thought, but I figure that even if no one accepts me this year, if I bump my GPA up another 10th of a point, surely I will be accepted somewhere next year.
With a 3.5/523, you have no place filling out AACOMAS

With a 3.5/523, you have no place filling out AACOMAS

I don't really like when people say this. Maybe an individual prefers DO, it's not all about numbers. I remember hearing a few years back that a PCOM student here somewhere on SDN had classmates who scored 37+ on the old MCAT.

Reactions: 7 users

Attachments

• MCAT score.JPG
    MCAT score.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 5,578
Reactions: 31 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really like when people say this. Maybe an individual prefers DO, it's not all about numbers. I remember hearing a few years back that a PCOM student here somewhere on SDN had classmates who scored 37+ on the old MCAT.
Oh trust me, I don't think there's anything wrong with DO. It's just that I would like to be somewhere with more opportunities for research, and that's undoubtedly easier with MD.

Did you really average 510 on TPR exams? I'm struggling with them and averaging about a 495.

Yes. A bunch of people have commented that they found the PR exams much harder than the AAMC practice test and the actual MCAT... I definitely agree with that. My scores on PR practice tests were a full 10 points lower than my scores on every other company's practice tests. The worst thing that you can do is get demoralized by that and let your PR scores psych you out... they're not representative of how you're actually doing.

Yes. A bunch of people have commented that they found the PR exams much harder than the AAMC practice test and the actual MCAT... I definitely agree with that. My scores on PR practice tests were a full 10 points lower than my scores on every other company's practice tests. The worst thing that you can do is get demoralized by that and let your PR scores psych you out... they're not representative of how you're actually doing.

Congratulations on your score, It's beast! i had a few questions.

1. How long did you study?
2.What sources did you use?
3. What kind of study habits did you maintain?
4.how were you doing in your practice exams?
5. What was your undergrad Major?
6. How did you study for the psych section.

I would also ask for your social Security number but i think that's too much :p
I am sure everyone on this board is wondering at least one of those questions.

Thanks in Advance!

Congratulations on your score, It's beast! i had a few questions.

1. How long did you study?
2.What sources did you use?
3. What kind of study habits did you maintain?
4.how were you doing in your practice exams?
5. What was your undergrad Major?
6. How did you study for the psych section.

I would also ask for your social Security number but i think that's too much :p
I am sure everyone on this board is wondering at least one of those questions.

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks! I think I answered all your questions here.

whether people accept it or not, almost everyone applies to DO when their stats/whatever is too low for MD. Yes, some want DO over MD, but most don't.

and no, that is no way makes them a "lesser" doctor

Actually most DO students I know (big state school) ended up there because of personal connection to the area and the DO school. Its only on discussion boards where many people are desperate to evaluate their secure options that DO schools come up. However, my school actively tries to screen those people out. Many of the applicants to the local DO school never even figure to apply to any MD/other DO school. I am relatively sure that we have a biased sample group once again here on SDN.

Actually most DO students I know (big state school) ended up there because of personal connection to the area and the DO school. Its only on discussion boards where many people are desperate to evaluate their secure options that DO schools come up. However, my school actively tries to screen those people out. Many of the applicants to the local DO school never even figure to apply to any MD/other DO school. I am relatively sure that we have a biased sample group once again here on SDN.
Yeah I mean I was pretty much only going to apply to CCOM anyway due to personal ties, but I think I'd rather have the research opportunities and stuff, and now I can afford to maybe be a bit more choosy. Plus, if I went to CCOM, my parents were going to make me live at home... uh, no thanks!

Totally not knocking anyone who does choose to go DO though- I REALLY enjoyed shadowing with the DOs I selected!

:D:eek:

Your kidding me right? You could tell that it was in MTP by looking at that crappy picture? o_O

You, mylady, deserve a 530 on the MCAT

Haha yup! Those trams are very distinctive though. I must have been told a million times when I was there there that they are the only trams of their nature in France. (So the appearance of the tram looks like the line it is)

And I spent a LOT of time on them.

Ok, I'm in disbelief right now.

Chem/Phys: 85-100%------>130
CARS: 85-100%----->130
Bio/Biochem: 85-100%----->131
Psych/Soc: 85-100%--------->132

Overall: 90-100%------->523

Overall percentile is 100th. THAT'S NOT A THING AAMC.
Congrats on the awesome performance! For what it's worth, percentile ranges for scores on the old MCAT were accessible on THx before 2015, but after the new test got introduced they changed the percentile reporting for the old test scores too! My composite percentile used to say "99.9 - 99.9" but now it just says "100" as well haha.

Why? Are DO's lesser doctors to you?
Um, I don't really like when people put words in my mouth. Much anger today? Are you disappointed with your MCAT performance? It's ok, you can always study more and retake!

DOs are not lesser doctors – they are just mostly doctors who didn't have good grades in college. This is a fact. (Duh, there's always exceptions as was pointed out – but they're exceptions because last I checked, DO stats are much lower than MD stats.) Whether this fact matters in the long run, who cares?

Her stats are good enough for MD that she doesn't need to waste time filling out an entirely separate application just to "play it safe." What is wrong with my giving her confirmation that she doesn't need to go through that entire process? Nothing. I didn't insult you or DOs, so calm down.

Reactions: 2 users
If I were going to make something up, I would have fixed that chem/phys score ;)
Ah, so pretty. Great job. lol I didn't think you would actually care to post a pic but at least everyone else who reads this thread now knows SDN isn't full of BS as some people think :asshat:

i low someone who was cum laude in a UC university and someone else who got a lot of A's --both are doing DO. you have no idea who looks at your app and whats in your stars. apply where you can but the processes is so unpredictable. I've heard of people who have good stats get in and not.

Haha yup! Those trams are very distinctive though. I must have been told a million times when I was there there that they are the only trams of their nature in France. (So the appearance of the tram looks like the line it is)
And I spent a LOT of time on them.

So you like Europe, you speak multiple languages, your smart and you like chocolate. Please PM me your school list so I can find and marry you!

Reactions: 1 users
OOOOOOOooooooo CALLED OUT!
Oh yeah she read my mind I'm so embarrassed

I repeat – DOs are not lesser doctors; they are just doctors with lower grades. This is a generalized fact that SDN knows and spreads (e.g., in any WAMC thread) yet often vehemently challenge by those considering DO who like to accuse others of elitism or pride stomping. No, we're not pride stomping. We just don't like to see people file unnecessary applications and waste their time.

Oh yeah she read my mind I'm so embarrassed

I repeat – DOs are not lesser doctors; they are just doctors with lower grades. This is a generalized fact that SDN knows and spreads (e.g., in any WAMC thread) yet often vehemently challenge by those considering DO who like to accuse others of elitism or pride stomping. No, we're not pride stomping. We just don't like to see people file unnecessary applications and waste their time.
Yo I was just playin...a little troll action never hurt anyone right? I get what you mean no worries

Chem: 129 - 93%
Cars: 125 - 58%
Bio: 129 - 93%
Social: 124 - 43%

Total 507. -- 74%

I have amazing ECs. With volunteer hours, research, and many leadership positions.
I also have great letters and Personal Statement.

I have already summited my app. Should I retake? I really don't want too

I think you should be good. Do you mind sharing what the preliminary percentile scores were, Thanks :)

Congrats on the awesome performance! For what it's worth, percentile ranges for scores on the old MCAT were accessible on THx before 2015, but after the new test got introduced they changed the percentile reporting for the old test scores too! My composite percentile used to say "99.9 - 99.9" but now it just says "100" as well haha.

Hey gettheleadout, I was routing for you this cycle! Congrats on Wash U !!!! :claps:

Um, I don't really like when people put words in my mouth. Much anger today? Are you disappointed with your MCAT performance? It's ok, you can always study more and retake!

DOs are not lesser doctors – they are just mostly doctors who didn't have good grades in college. This is a fact. (Duh, there's always exceptions as was pointed out – but they're exceptions because last I checked, DO stats are much lower than MD stats.) Whether this fact matters in the long run, who cares?

Her stats are good enough for MD that she doesn't need to waste time filling out an entirely separate application just to "play it safe." What is wrong with my giving her confirmation that she doesn't need to go through that entire process? Nothing. I didn't insult you or DOs, so calm down.

The average DO matriculant has a 3.5 GPA according to AACOMAS data. At some DO schools like NYIT, it is 3.6.
At my undergrad, if you have a 3.3 you are on the dean's list. With a 3.5 GPA you graduate cum laude. So I wouldn't exactly say someone with a 3.5 GPA didn't have good grades in college... On the contrary, it is a good GPA.
Certainly MD matriculant stats are higher with 3.7 being the average GPA for MD. Still, it's not fair to say that DO physicians are "mostly doctors who didn't have good grades in college"...

The average DO matriculant has a 3.5 GPA according to AACOMAS data. At some DO schools like NYIT, it is 3.6.
At my undergrad, if you have a 3.3 you are on the dean's list. With a 3.5 GPA you graduate cum laude.
Dang! Dean's List is a 3.67 at my school! And my school doesn't really inflate or deflate grades either. C+/B- average is common for most science courses.

You don't think that looks weird against a 3.5 though? Like I have no idea what tier that even puts me in! Whatever. I'm still going low tier, I guess, with my three reaches/dream schools!

To be honest, I think you'll be fine. There is a reason why SDN has a reputation of being overly-pedantic -- you literally have a community of perfectionists. I know of medical students with your GPA. You clearly showed an upward trend. That, in addition to your ECs (which are above average for even matriculates I'd say) and MCAT should help you get in somewhere. From what I have read in your forum posts/Google Doc, you seem to be a very humorous, intelligent, and personable individual. You should do well in your interview, which is the most important aspect of your application. You demonstrated a clear mastery of undergraduate content with your MCAT as well as examples of your character and desire to serve others (ECs). Additionally, you have several presentations and years of research. Apply and keep your chin held high and a smile on your face.

Also, I have met pre-meds from all around the country as well as people who went to top-tier medical schools as part of my past work. These pre-meds were certainly very smart as the program I was in was very competitive and difficult. Based on my interactions with them, I would definitely say you have a fair shot of getting in at least somewhere (US school) even when competing against top-echelon students. Anyone can make straight-As but very few can score 99.5+ percentile on a standardized entry exam for medical school.

To be honest, I think you'll be fine. There is a reason why SDN has a reputation of being overly-pedantic -- you literally have a community of perfectionists. I know of medical students with your GPA. You clearly showed an upward trend. That, in addition to your ECs (which are above average for even matriculates I'd say) and MCAT should help you get in somewhere. From what I have read in your forum posts/Google Doc, you seem to be a very humorous, intelligent, and personable individual. You should do well in your interview, which is the most important aspect of your application. You demonstrated a clear mastery of undergraduate content with your MCAT as well as examples of your character and desire to serve others (ECs). Additionally, you have several presentations and years of research. Apply and keep your chin held high and a smile on your face.

Also, I have met pre-meds from all around the country as well as people who went to top-tier medical schools as part of my past work. These pre-meds were certainly very smart as the program I was in was very competitive and difficult. Based on my interactions with them, I would definitely say you have a fair shot of getting in at least somewhere (US school) even when competing against top-echelon students. Anyone can make straight-As but very few can score 99.5+ percentile on a standardized entry exam for medical school.
These messages make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside Thank you! It's daunting to see that only ~70% of people with my stats are accepted, but I guess if I apply to the right medical school for me, I'll be a accepted. Your kind words are really appreciated!

So far I havn't seen a single person with a preliminary percentile of 90-100 (with all sections 85-100) score below a 95th percentile. Did I miss something?