The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I voided the april exam because I didn't feel confident. I've decided to take the MCAT on September 3rd. I know it's late and definitely not optimal, however, I'm counting on this cycle being abnormal due to the new exam. Does anyone have any words of advice?

really? I've read a couple of times from those who have taken the test on sdn that its important to know major psychologists for the test....

I obviously can not speak for AAMC and I do not want to disclose too much. However, AAMC stated and my MCAT was very much about understanding and application of principles, less so of knowledge. I do not believe that in-depth knowledge of names of psychologists or sociologists would have benefited me.

I obviously can not speak for AAMC and I do not want to disclose too much. However, AAMC stated and my MCAT was very much about understanding and application of principles, less so of knowledge. I do not believe that in-depth knowledge of names of psychologists or sociologists would have benefited me.

Which was the opposite case for those of us who took the exam yesterday. I'm not sure that the AAMC has figured this new exam out yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I voided the april exam because I didn't feel confident. I've decided to take the MCAT on September 3rd. I know it's late and definitely not optimal, however, I'm counting on this cycle being abnormal due to the new exam. Does anyone have any words of advice?

It will be considered late for MD. I don't know your stats but I know someone who applied super late like early November and got into a low-mid tier MD school. This individual however was bummed because he/she had the stats to get into a better school but I believe took the MCAT late.

For DO, you're starting to get to the point of it's on time kind of. To me personally anything passed early November is late for DO. Not detrimental to your application if you have good numbers/decent ECs. I know of an individual who applied first week of Nvoember with a subpar ~60-61 Lizzy M and had a 65 Lizzy M once their retaken MCAT score was received. They got an interview to the school they matriculated into prior to getting back the improved MCAT score.

Hi,

Congrats on finishing the MCAT! I am planning on writing it in August and I was just wondering if you could please shed some light on which practice mcat test was the most indicative of your score/most like the actual one?

Yeah I'm starting to get REALLY antsy now. I posted in WAMC on reddit and basically everyone told me I had no shot at MD :/ 3.5uGPA, 3.4sGPA, 90th-100th percentile, above average ECs but nothing spectacular.

I mean, I'd be fine with hopefully getting into CCOM (IL resident), but it's so expensive and even then, there's no guarantee I'd get in.

Hoping a 515+ would give me a shot at some of the lower tier MDs!

You def. have a shot. Keep your head up. Confidence is key. And don't listen to the naysayers and doubters (they are everywhere). You got this :)

I wouldn't assume this cycle will be "abnormal" in any way but it's your call! :)

did any of you guys use TBR passages for review for the april MCAT? Were they on par with the difficulty of the test?

is anyone interested in selling there study materials? specifically practice exams. Could you PM me please thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

Long term lurker here. This is also my first post.

I decided, for the fun of it, to plot a curve of overall aamc practice average vs actual mcat scores with the limited data here. As expected the correlation is pretty strong. Using the slope you can play around with predicting your scores.

I didn't do a full regression/error analysis as : 1) Limited Sample Size 2) We all know this and it's implications - take all of this with a truckload of salt 3) I'm a lazy bastard

I also added a probability output: Fun Fact a 517 (96th percentile) is ~ 50th percentile on SDN. LOL!

My hope is that someone here less lazy than I am does all of this more comprehensively with: 1) Plots + Regression w/ new data as new scores come out 2) Plots for individual sections + regression and error - this is particularly important as all of this is inherently skewed given the use of overall percentages in predictions i.e an 80% on CARS affects your overall score in a different way compared to say an 80% on Chem/Phys.

Again, typical disclaimers apply to all of this. MCAT 2015 Predict.JPG
MCAT 2015 Predict.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys might be a vague question but did any of you think you completely bombed any section of your test date, but then still turned around and got a decent percentile on your preliminary? Thanks in advance, I'm getting my preliminary tomorrow and I am just a little nervous

Copied and pasted from my google doc

What were your scores on the practice tests vs. the real thing?

Kaplan Diagnostic: 498
Kaplan Full-Length 1: 500
Kaplan Full-Length 2: 502
Kaplan Full-Length 3: 505
Kaplan Full-Length 4: 506
AAMC Sample Test
Chem/Phys: 76%
CARS: 92%
Bio/Biochem: 78%
Psych: Soc: 88%
Physics Question Pack: 76%
Biology Question Pack: 76%
Test on 4/18/15

Preliminary ranges:
Chem/Phys: 85-100 percentile
CARS: 85-100 percentile
Bio/Biochem: 85-100 percentile
Psych: 85-100 percentile
Whole thing: 90-100 percentile

Actual Scores:
Chem/Phys: 130 (97)
CARS: 130 (97)
Bio/Biochem: 131 (99)
Psych: 132 (100)
Composite: 523 (100)

Edit: In retrospect, I just realized I boosted my score 25 points from my diagnostic. Woah.

Never give up kids.

Hey, what are preliminary score?

Last edited:
Hello everyone I was wondering if there is anyone here that were getting high 480's on their Kaplan test and still did well?

Hello everyone I was wondering if there is anyone here that were getting high 480's on their Kaplan test and still did well?

480 is very low. That would be about a 6-7 overall on the old mcat. Although the kaplan exams are more difficult, I wouldn't feel safe taking the real mcat unless you're scoring at 500 or so. The best predictor would be taking the AAMC practice exam but with a 480 on the kaplan test I would wait to take the AAMC test.

I took the AAMC MCAT 2015 practice test and these were my % of questions answered correctly…am I in bad shape for my MCAT, which is very soon?

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 68% (40/59)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 64% (34/53)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 44% (26/59)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 66% (39/59)

Hey, did you end up taking the MCAT? How did you do?

I scored similarly: 66%/70%/50%/66% and my test date is scheduled for Aug 6.

I don't have a good grasp of the sciences and need to basically be instructed all over again and I have no problem being honest about this. Does anyone know a good solution for me? I see that people are saying the Kap Review is not sufficient for this. Are there anyways to get the structure of the Prep Courses + Good Content?

Hi! It appears that this forum has not been used in a while...but I hope that someone could help me out with a little bit of advice as well. I have completed all of my premed undergraduate course requirements, but I know (not feel) that I am inadequately prepared. I have an ok grasp of biology. I would say that I can remember almost nothing from my physics course other than velocity, acceleration, and force (in the general since). I did well in Organic Chemistry, but I studied for the tests and sacrificed the intuitive learning style for memorization just to pass the test. Now I remember almost nothing from Organic Chemistry, but honestly I do think a simple review with an intuitive approach would be helpful with organic chemistry. General chemistry for me was so long ago that I barely remember the topic discussed. I am taking a psychology course this semester so think that is going to be enough content in that area. So to sum it all up I don't have a good grasp of the sciences and need to basically be instructed all over again and I have no problem being honest about this. Does anyone know a good solution for me? I see that people are saying the Kap Review is not sufficient for this. Are there anyways to get the structure of the Prep Courses + Good Content? Also: It does not take much exposure for me to learn, but it does take exposure for lack of a better way to put it. Also I do better with peers than on my own. I know this for a fact! Thanks in advance.

I don't have a good grasp of the sciences and need to basically be instructed all over again and I have no problem being honest about this. Does anyone know a good solution for me? I see that people are saying the Kap Review is not sufficient for this. Are there anyways to get the structure of the Prep Courses + Good Content?

Hi! It appears that this forum has not been used in a while...but I hope that someone could help me out with a little bit of advice as well. I have completed all of my premed undergraduate course requirements, but I know (not feel) that I am inadequately prepared. I have an ok grasp of biology. I would say that I can remember almost nothing from my physics course other than velocity, acceleration, and force (in the general since). I did well in Organic Chemistry, but I studied for the tests and sacrificed the intuitive learning style for memorization just to pass the test. Now I remember almost nothing from Organic Chemistry, but honestly I do think a simple review with an intuitive approach would be helpful with organic chemistry. General chemistry for me was so long ago that I barely remember the topic discussed. I am taking a psychology course this semester so think that is going to be enough content in that area. So to sum it all up I don't have a good grasp of the sciences and need to basically be instructed all over again and I have no problem being honest about this. Does anyone know a good solution for me? I see that people are saying the Kap Review is not sufficient for this. Are there anyways to get the structure of the Prep Courses + Good Content? Also: It does not take much exposure for me to learn, but it does take exposure for lack of a better way to put it. Also I do better with peers than on my own. I know this for a fact! Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you haven't started studying. Kaplan has a pretty thorough approach, which you may benefit from considering you don't feel that you are very strong on anything. Here's a super special secret (don't tell anyone): most people aren't strong on most things when they start their review. Plenty of the classes (gen physics, gen chem, ochem) they haven't touched for maybe a year or two and only really use select concepts from them on occasion.

Kaplan EK for everything except psych/soc, which Khan/TPR is most useful for.

EK FLs and the AAMC FL as your practice. AAMC should be the last FL you take (usually done 1-2 weeks beforehand)

Thank you for your response it is much appreciated and straight to the point. I did consider Kaplan, but I didn't want a stereotypical response like I have seen on many threads and I did not want someone to just "tell me what I wanted to hear" and so on (so I didn't add it to the question). Some people say they don't really teach, (correct me if i'm wrong) but I gather it is because they are expecting some form of magic and thinking that they will not need to study.....Thank you it means a lot!

Go back to college to learn the subjects you need most help with then take a prep course to learn the test then self study for 3 months. There really is no other answer. The MCAT has at least 2 years of basic science on it so you can't self study unless you already have a good foundation already.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Long term lurker here. This is also my first post.

I decided, for the fun of it, to plot a curve of overall aamc practice average vs actual mcat scores with the limited data here. As expected the correlation is pretty strong. Using the slope you can play around with predicting your scores.

I didn't do a full regression/error analysis as : 1) Limited Sample Size 2) We all know this and it's implications - take all of this with a truckload of salt 3) I'm a lazy bastard

I also added a probability output: Fun Fact a 517 (96th percentile) is ~ 50th percentile on SDN. LOL!

My hope is that someone here less lazy than I am does all of this more comprehensively with: 1) Plots + Regression w/ new data as new scores come out 2) Plots for individual sections + regression and error - this is particularly important as all of this is inherently skewed given the use of overall percentages in predictions i.e an 80% on CARS affects your overall score in a different way compared to say an 80% on Chem/Phys.

Again, typical disclaimers apply to all of this. View attachment 193587 View attachment 193587

Thank you so much for this post! I just took the August MCAT and I'm getting paranoid about my score haha and this linear regression line is the most objective way to predict my own score haha.

These are my scores for the MCAT 2015 Practice Test. Taking the real deal the end of next month. What do you guys think my chances are good for the real one?

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 58% (34/59)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 85% (45/53)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 88% (52/59)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 80% (47/59)

These are my scores for the MCAT 2015 Practice Test. Taking the real deal the end of next month. What do you guys think my chances are good for the real one?

58%/85%/88%/80% roughly converts to 123/129/130/127 = ~509
The overall score seems decent, however the C/P section seems low/unbalanced.
Also the consensus seems to be that AAMC FL questions are easier than the actual tests.

AAMC Practice CARS was way easier than the real thing, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

I really liked using the khan academy videos for my test prep. They have an MCAT 2015 section of videos that pretty much goes over everything you need to know and they break the material down in a way that is really easy to digest. I watched a section of videos each day in each course and took notes on the material. Every few days I'd review everything I had gone over. If i take notes it sticks in my head.

I took general chemistry in 2010, general biology in 2009 and physics in 2012 so I had pretty much forgotten all of the material by the time I had started studying as well. I didn't feel like the new test touched too much on organic chemistry. If you haven't taken biochemistry then you should try to asap. The new test has a lot of biochem on it.

I also bought pretty much every MCAT prep material that AAMC offered. I felt like the question packs were more geared to the old exam but they were still good practice. Definitely buy the official guide questions and the practice test. I used the official guide questions to guide my studying in biology, physics and chemistry and then when I felt like I had adequately prepared I took the practice test. Give yourself a couple of weeks or more after you take the practice test so that you can brush up on your weak areas.

I also had some Kaplan review books that I read for biology and chemistry but they were from 2008 so they were pretty outdated.

Good luck to you in your studying!! :)

Copied and pasted from my google doc

What were your scores on the practice tests vs. the real thing?

Kaplan Diagnostic: 498
Kaplan Full-Length 1: 500
Kaplan Full-Length 2: 502
Kaplan Full-Length 3: 505
Kaplan Full-Length 4: 506
AAMC Sample Test
Chem/Phys: 76%
CARS: 92%
Bio/Biochem: 78%
Psych: Soc: 88%
Physics Question Pack: 76%
Biology Question Pack: 76%
Test on 4/18/15

Preliminary ranges:
Chem/Phys: 85-100 percentile
CARS: 85-100 percentile
Bio/Biochem: 85-100 percentile
Psych: 85-100 percentile
Whole thing: 90-100 percentile

Actual Scores:
Chem/Phys: 130 (97)
CARS: 130 (97)
Bio/Biochem: 131 (99)
Psych: 132 (100)
Composite: 523 (100)

Edit: In retrospect, I just realized I boosted my score 25 points from my diagnostic. Woah.

Never give up kids.
Hey! Congratulations on your score. I am in my last semester taking biochem and cell and molec. How long did you study for the mcat? How many hours a day what about weekends? Did you work during that time? I see kaplan scores, how did you use the Kaplan resource? What was your gpa? Any Xtra advice will be appreciated.

Hey! Congratulations on your score. I am in my last semester taking biochem and cell and molec. How long did you study for the mcat? How many hours a day what about weekends? Did you work during that time? I see kaplan scores, how did you use the Kaplan resource? What was your gpa? Any Xtra advice will be appreciated.
Read my Google doc first! I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA, so this should be fairly inspiring to people.

https://docs.google.com/a/umn.edu/d...g_sZUE777gAitv_YH9lpSes/edit?usp=docslist_api

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone understand how to do Question 9 of the Phys/chem section for the sample test? The question asks "What information about an axon is required to calculate the current associated with an NCV pulse?" I chose potential, resistivity and radius, because the formula R=(pL)/A, but thought it could be potential, resistivity and length just as well. I don't understand the explanation given.

Yeah, the explanation sort of sucks for this one. So I'll start off with why choice C is wrong. You have the right thinking that R=resistivity x length/Area ...but the answer choices give you only resistivity and radius (where radius can be plugged in to get area). You wouldn't be able to solve for resistance and therefore, couldn't calculate current because you are not given "length" as an answer choice. You need all three variables in order to solve for resistance with this equation.

For why D is correct, I think it helps to look at the passage, but dimensional analysis comes in handy here. So, V=IR and you're trying to solve for I. You have potential, V, and you want to get R. Resistance/length x length is equal to resistance via dimensional analysis, which is exactly what you want in order to solve for I.