The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished Kaplan FL 1. Scored a 498 (124/125/125/124)
Few things I noted:

Alot of the questions seemed convoluted and not clear in what they were expecting.
With the exception of CARS, I'm finishing my sections with a bunch of time left to spare (like 15-20 minutes to go, except CARS). How long do you guys take on reading the passage before answering the questions? (I'm aiming to give myself 7-8 minutes a passage with a minute a piece on discretes)
Kaplan's passage mapping strategy is god awful IMO. I worried and wasted time thinking of what to write down instead of focusing on reading more thoroughly.
My CARS performance is really hit or miss. Some passages I get none or 1 wrong, some I get at least half of them wrong.

Taking this score with a grain of salt, but hoping I can seriously improve before the real deal on the 6th.

That's exactly how I'm doing in CARS. Most passages I get away with 0-1 wrong (sometimes 2) but others I get half or more wrong and those are the ones that kill my score. I finish the other sections with ~15-20 min left too.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking NS FL 1 right now..currently on break. Its clear to me I have a serious problem with C/P

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn I just took my first FL, the TPR "Demo" and pretty much got wrecked. It seemed hard as hell and I got a 507... which I know isn't a terrible score but I'm shooting for a lot higher than that. I was getting 90 percents on the AAMC Qpacks but this practice test was just on another level entirely. Have to hope that AAMC is more representative of AAMC but I'm not sure what to think.

Damn I just took my first FL, the TPR "Demo" and pretty much got wrecked. It seemed hard as hell and I got a 507... which I know isn't a terrible score but I'm shooting for a lot higher than that. I was getting 90 percents on the AAMC Qpacks but this practice test was just on another level entirely. Have to hope that AAMC is more representative of AAMC but I'm not sure what to think.
Dude you are so fine...I wish I was scoring like that

Hey guys. I want to share my progress.

Really disappointed with my AAMC FL performance. I was told that TPR FLs are more difficult than the AAMC 2015 practice FL and yet I barely improved.

progress.PNG

Dude you are so fine...I wish I was scoring like that
Lol so I literally just finished NS 1st full length and got a 507 as well and I thought It was reallyyy difficult especially the C/P section. So far ive taken 2 full lengths, EK and NS, and I thought NS was harder.. my exam date is August 22nd. These are my scores on the full lengths I've taken so far:

EK 1
Chem/physics: 31/59 (52%)
CARS: 38/53 (71%)
Bio/biochem: 35/59 (60%)
Psych/Sociology: 50/59 (85%)
Overall: 67%

NS 1
C/P: 126
Cars: 125
B/B: 127
Psych/Socy: 129
Total: 507

Based off these scores, do you guys think I'm on track to do well for an August 22nd exam date? or should I start considering a later date especially considering my continued struggle with C/P. I still don't feel comfortable for that section and I really didn't study physics or orgo all that throughly.

Lol so I literally just finished NS 1st full length and got a 507 as well and I thought It was reallyyy difficult especially the C/P section. So far ive taken 2 full lengths, EK and NS, and I thought NS was harder.. my exam date is August 22nd. These are my scores on the full lengths I've taken so far:

EK 1

NS 1

Based off these scores, do you guys think I'm on track to do well for an August 22nd exam date? or should I start considering a later date especially considering my continued struggle with C/P. I still don't feel comfortable for that section and I really didn't study physics or orgo all that throughly.

Whenever you start posting statements like, "I'm going to make the PS section my B!@tch," then you will for sure be ready. I'm sure you can improve 50% correct in 5 weeks don't you?

Whenever you start posting statements like, "I'm going to make the PS section my B!@tch," then you will for sure be ready. I'm sure you can improve 50% correct in 5 weeks don't you?
Haha I definitely don't feel that confident yet. At this point I can barely finish that section in time and have to guess on a bunch. =/

I took the MCAT June 20
CHEM 82-97%
BIO 49-64%
VERBAL 9-24%
PSYCH 50-65%
OVERALL 44-54%. I probably got 499
AAMC Practice tests
CHEM 58%
BIO 46%
PSYCH 68%
VERBAL 70%
i will be retaking August 6. Advice Anyone? especially on verbal?please :-(
How did you feel about the verbal after that MCAT in comparison to your practice test? Did you feel the same or was it notably more difficult?

EK 1

NS 1

Got the same score on Kaplan 3. 125/128/127/127. chem phys won't budge.

Are you missing chem or phys questions fed? Also I'd try another prep test cause certain companies emphasize some info over others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took Kaplan 5. I got 124/128/126/127. 505. My first 505 on Kaplan 2 I got a 127 on Chem Phys! Playing the juggling game. I will say it makes sense that Chem Phys is the most volatile (up and down) because if you struggle with the content in one passage there goes most of the questions where I feel like it's easy to piecemeal the others a bit more.

Are you missing chem or phys questions fed? Also I'd try another prep test cause certain companies emphasize some info over others.
A mixture of both, but mainly Chem. Kaplan seems to have a lot of orgo, which prob won't be the case on test day. I've done an EK FL, khan passages (lots!), og, and half of the q packs. What other companies do you recommend? I was thinking of NS...

Well if you're struggling in chem, I'd say chads vids. What I used for the DAT and his MCAT vids are very similar. He also has quizzes after each video that are almost better than the videos IMO. Message me for more info if you want.

So about a month left, do you guys recommend just doing practice passages? I've been doing the 30min EK and my science workbook for TPR, but dont know what else to do been getting around 60% in each subject except for psych been hitting around 75%.

Hey guys! Just made an account to post on this thread haha, I'm taking it August 21st...can't believe how close it's getting.

498 on TPR Complete test 1. This felt more MCAT-like. More biochem focus than the past course test I took, TPR Course Test 5.

123 C/P - I honestly had no idea how this section went when I initially took it. The biochem on this test overall threw me a curveball. I have to review it more for sure. But I've heard like no one really gets higher than a 126 on TPR C/P. Lol my range is like 123-126, 124 and 125 being around the norm.
125 CARS- I had to pause at least 3-4 times: lagged out once, phone call once, gardeners outside being really loud. Lagged a few times at the end of the section for some bizarre reason.
124 B/Biochem- a lot of the biochem I knew previously but I guess I forgot recently. At least 4-5 questions I went ugh because I forgot to review those certain biochem topics recently.
126 Psych/Soc- for the first time, I got thrown off by the first 10 questions. Rest of the section went fairly well.

Thinking of doing official guide as a half length this weekend (or Monday).

I have one more TPR FL scheduled, half length (although I might just use it as practice questions, still unsure), and AAMC FL. I have all the Q packs and I plan to start using them tomorrow. Especially for certain topics in physics and organic chem.

Last edited:
498 on TPR Complete test 1. This felt more MCAT-like. More biochem focus than the past course test I took, TPR Course Test 5.

123 C/P - I honestly had no idea how this section went when I initially took it. The biochem on this test overall threw me a curveball. I have to review it more for sure. But I've heard like no one really gets higher than a 126 on TPR C/P. Lol my range is like 123-126, 124 and 125 being around the norm.
125 CARS- I had to pause at least 3-4 times: lagged out once, phone call once, gardeners outside being really loud. Lagged a few times at the end of the section for some bizarre reason.
124 B/Biochem- a lot of the biochem I knew previously but I guess I forgot recently. At least 4-5 questions I went ugh because I forgot to review those certain biochem topics recently.
126 Psych/Soc- for the first time, I got thrown off by the first 10 questions. Rest of the section went fairly well.

Thinking of doing official guide as a half length this weekend (or Monday).

I have one more TPR FL scheduled, half length (although I might just use it as practice questions, still unsure), and AAMC FL. I have all the Q packs and I plan to start using them tomorrow. Especially for certain topics in physics and organic chem.
The ochem/chem part of the chem q pack was worthless. Nothing that will really prepare you for the actual AAMC practice FL (I don't even think it will really help improve). The physics was alright but relied way to heavily on calcs rather than concepts. Emphasis in waves, sound, some nuclear, optics, and fluids (from what I remember). It's probably a better refresher if you're weak in those areas.

anyone still stuck in content review? :meh: I'm getting to the end, but it's taking forever...

anyone still stuck in content review? :meh: I'm getting to the end, but it's taking forever...

I didn't end up completing content review. I got through just about 80% and moved on to just practicing and reading up on unfamiliar/not solid concepts that appear in practice problems as I go.

Me! I finally hit a turning point yesterday though - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! ;) I honestly didn't think I would ever finish because it's just. so. much. stuff. I'm giving myself another 1.5 weeks (doing heavy content review + light passage and discrete practice now) and then moving on to practice tests and passages with content brush-up as necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Are the Khan practice passages similar in difficulty to the actual MCAT? The chem/physics ones are killing me (then again, that is my weakest section...)

Are the Khan practice passages similar in difficulty to the actual MCAT? The chem/physics ones are killing me (then again, that is my weakest section...)
I hope not, I just started the KA practice passages and they seem so much harder. I also didn't realize how many of them there are. Also, is there no way to get an explanation to the questions/answers?

I hope not, I just started the KA practice passages and they seem so much harder. I also didn't realize how many of them there are. Also, is there no way to get an explanation to the questions/answers?
The only thing is the Give me a Hint button (which you have to press multiple times - so annoying that I've written KA about it). Sometimes they're helpful, sometimes it's 3 facts that are abundantly clear followed by some unknown leap in logic to the correct answer. But the passages should be good prep based on feedback.

ETA - I've had to use way too much calculation on some of the C/P questions, at a level they won't expect on the real thing. For KA I'm trying to pay more attention to the C/P passages where they incorporate biological processes.

Last edited:
The hints will give a pretty solid explanation. For difficult topics, though, they might be hard to understand.

The only thing is the Give me a Hint button (which you have to press multiple time - so annoying that I've written KA about it). Sometimes they're helpful, sometimes it's 3 facts that are abundantly clear followed by some unknown leap in logic to the correct answer. But the passages should be good prep based on feedback.

ETA - I've had to use way too much calculation on some of the C/P questions, at a level they won't expect on the real thing. For KA I'm trying to pay more attention to the C/P passages where they incorporate biological processes.

On the June thread some people said they had to do a lot of calculations though, and that they were surprised by how much of the chem/physics wasn't related to biological processes :( The general consensus seems to be that different tests can vary a lot in material.

On the June thread some people said they had to do a lot of calculations though
It's too bad they couldn't be more specific. I can see calculating torque or power, for example, and the algebra for some of the kinematics and Work/Energy can get messy, but generally AAMC will give you numbers so that the math works out nicely. I meant that for some of the Khan questions and examples in their videos, you have to pull out the calculator - like the torque example would have a 53 degree angle.

Based on what you've heard/read, do you think it's safe to say physiology/organ systems seems to be less emphasized on the MCAT now?

Yep so that means our tests will for sure be mostly physio. But honestly after taking so many bio classes I can barely draw the line between physio and basic biology.

physiology has always been for the most part regurgitation of knowledge. i've been memorizing my bio cheat sheet for a while and focusing all my energy on biochem/metabolism.

I believe psych is the same way.

Has anyone else hit that point where it is so difficult to motivate yourself after studying for so long? I feel like I am dying

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone else hit that point where it is so difficult to motivate yourself after studying for so long? I feel like I am dying
Me too, at this point I kind of just want to take it and be done, but I also don't feel ready. Oscillating between those two about five times a day

Reactions: 4 users
Took first TPR FL today :hungover: Such a loooong test, goodness gracious. I was getting so antsy towards the end of it. I scored a 501 with my best section being P/S. I had a ton of extra time at the end of that section (I wish it was that way for all of my sections). My weakness in biochemistry definitely showed, so I am going to try and focus on my weak areas when I review.
I feel like there are so many things I want/need to go over and don't have nearly enough time.

(I also feel like laying in bed all day and just watching TV and reading FOR PLEASURE...gosh I miss those days)

Last edited:
Me too, at this point I kind of just want to take it and be done, but I also don't feel ready. Oscillating between those two about five times a day

This is exactly how I feel right now. I don't think Im where I want to be just yet, but Im burnt out from studying.

Thoughts on a TPR 1st FL 500? I got a 124/124/125/127. Don't really know what to think of it. I have about 4 and a half weeks till my exam date (August 21). Pushing for a 510+ but am really nervous especially about the Physics/Chem Section. Any thoughts?

Thoughts on a TPR 1st FL 500? I got a 124/124/125/127. Don't really know what to think of it. I have about 4 and a half weeks till my exam date (August 21). Pushing for a 510+ but am really nervous especially about the Physics/Chem Section. Any thoughts?
Practice FL's are supposed to be harder than the real thing so don't be discouraged. Just strive to improve with each exam!

Honestly, the AAMC material is really different from TPR or Kaplan, so I wouldn't worry too much about your TPR scores. I'd just ignore the scores, and take the AAMC Official guide, question packs, or FL to get a better gauge of where you stand.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 7.16.16 PM.png

:shrug:
Weird! I took a PR full length today and got a 500 too, and my test date is the same as yours! Lol, maybe were on the right track?

Reactions: 1 users
Going to go through the Q packs over the next couple of weeks. Taking the AAMC next week and another FL the next week after that. The third week is my Aug 6th exam. Outside of those, should I just do as many passages as possible with time to review the answers? Or should I test, review the answers and then go and review the content that I am weak on from review books? I guess my question is, how much should I cram passages?

I tried some Khan Bio today and it was rough, those passages are steep. I know they are supposed to be, but it doesn't take away from the feeling of getting 2 out of 5 several times.

Anybody know if the name reactions have been taken out for organic chemistry? E.g. Grignard, Claisen, Transesterification, Wittig, Wolff-Kishner, etc. I know I couldn't find them specifically listed on the AAMC outline except for aldol condensation but I wanted to double check.