* The Official August 5th - 2016 MCAT Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0ny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I myself am rewriting the MCAT for a 3rd time and am starting my schedule as of tomorrow (May 11th). I benefited from talking to others that were writing the exam on the same day as me in one of these posts the previous times, so might as well start one.

Feel free to share any thoughts, questions or concerns in here and help keep everyone motivated. We're all in the same boat!

Time to start the grind and crush it!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm like, jumping in on your thread because mine is very lonely haha. I'm taking it on the 25th! What are you doing for your schedule and study materials :)?

I'm taking it August 4th for the first time! Planning on cracking open my TPR books once finals are done.

Reactions: 1 user
Perfect well let's hope we get more that hop on. My finals ended May 1st so took a week off and now time to grind

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Already 1 chapter behind my schedule. Great start!

I am writing it on Aug 20th, I'm using Princeton books and studying using the schedule they have on their guide. What materials are you guys using and are you following a certain online schedule?

I am writing it on Aug 20th, I'm using Princeton books and studying using the schedule they have on their guide. What materials are you guys using and are you following a certain online schedule?

I'm using TBR for Orgo and gen Chem, using TPR for psych/soc, using TBR for bio and Kaplan for Biochem, Using EK for physics and taking Jack Westin's CARS class.

And I made myself a schedule so I finish content review 58 days before the test.

@bobeanie95 Sweet! I was using also thinking of using the schedule by mcatforme.com if you want to check that out. What AAMC materials did you buy? the AAMC practice test or the question bundle?

@t0ny It's my first time doing the MCAT, so just getting organized is overwhelming especially seeing the vast number of resources. Any tips for what to buy especially for practice?

How far is everyone into their studying?

Hi guys, I'm also signed up for August 5th. Started officially studying May 18th after graduating. For content review I'm using the AAMC outline along with Kaplan books and KA. This is a retake from last year (499/ 127,121,126,125) for me so I'm focusing less on sole content review and more on practice. For practice material I plan on using NextStep 1-6, EK 1-4, and then all the AAMC material. I can always go back and strengthen my understanding of concepts based on the weaknesses exposed by my practice exams. I'd devised this study plan based on assessing my own shortcoming last time, seeking advice from my peers who scored 510+, and also from what people have said on here as the most representative practice material.

Will start tomorrow. Will use: EK + TPR P&S + Lehninger Biochem (I just finished my Biochemistry course).

Good luck guys.

Yeh I Majored in Biochem in my first degree, but now using Kaplan to freshen up with it.

Hey guys! So I'm a retaker here. Got a 500 last summer. I'm taking the KAPLAN in person course.
So far, I'm feeling a little bit bomarded with all the resources I have accumulated. I really want more than anything to move past this obstacle in my life.
I have completed content review for physics and almost all of gen chem and biochem and just took psych this past semester at college.

**Do you think 7 weeks of full on practice will be enough? I am aiming for a 509. Got a 495 on my Kaplan diagnostic which surprisngly my Kaplan instructor told me is a lot higher than most people. Still freaking out majorly thought. I have also been a bit conflicted on whether I should use TBR or not? The passages seem really dense to me but I try to do a few from each topic. I have such a large plethora of practice material that getting through it all is daunting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! So I'm a retaker here. Got a 500 last summer. I'm taking the KAPLAN in person course.
So far, I'm feeling a little bit bomarded with all the resources I have accumulated. I really want more than anything to move past this obstacle in my life.
I have completed content review for physics and almost all of gen chem and biochem and just took psych this past semester at college.

**Do you think 7 weeks of full on practice will be enough? I am aiming for a 509. Got a 495 on my Kaplan diagnostic which surprisngly my Kaplan instructor told me is a lot higher than most people. Still freaking out majorly thought. I have also been a bit conflicted on whether I should use TBR or not? The passages seem really dense to me but I try to do a few from each topic. I have such a large plethora of practice material that getting through it all is daunting.
7 weeks of practice is great as long as you have a deep content base. I'm assuming your done with content review so how did you do on ur first Kaplan exam ? TBR is a great source as long as your through content review and focusing on test taking skills

Sooo, I guess I've tweaked my study plan. Only doing 4 NS FLs and 2 EK FLs plus all the AAMC material. To anyone looking for the best practice FLs may I highly recommend EK! I've done 1-4 NS and EK3 and I must say EK felt very much like the real MCAT. Granted it is kinda tricky (in way that the AAMC probably won't trick you) but it still prepares you well!

QUESTION: How should I do the AAMC Section Banks? Do the whole thing timed? or break it up? or not time myself? Suggestions?

so my first kaplan full length was a 501. I'm panicking right now. I need to hustle to get to that 509. BIG TIME.

My plan is to just focus on taking tests and every night just go over one weak area in depth. Also, the KHAN academy psych soc passages are good. I'm going to try to incorporate them.
@DR. Curry thanks for the tips on EK, I will def look into doing those as well. I would do the section banks untimed and in tutor mode the first time, and then the second time you go through them do them timed.
Best of luck everyone!

going to be taking ~2-3 nextstep fls and 3 EK fl + AAMC material this following month
goal is to take 2 fl/week leading up to my test with berkeley review passages in between full lengths. Also going to be doing ~5-10 cars passages a day leading up to exam.

did nextstep fl #1 and got a 503 (125/125/126/127)
--> goal is to get into a DO medical school so hoping to get a score of 505+ on the Aug 5th mcat. Good luck guys! we got this :)

depends.. I take a lot of breaks/go to gym, and relax.
prolly ~5 hours/day of REAL studying

but taking nextstep fl on July 4th ( :( ) and reviewing it on the same day so thats gnna be a longg day :'(

When is everyone planning to apply?
Also, would taking MCAT this Aug 5 be considered too late to apply this cycle? Thxx

welp. highest kaplan so far is 503. ugh.

That's a great score, don't beat yourself up over that. A lot of people score 10+ points higher on the real thing than the Kaplan FL's, they are notoriously difficult. Just look to identify your weaknesses, work on them, and you'll be good to go!

Got a 500 in TPR Review Test 2. 22 days left, don't know what to do. Edit: Ended up doing well >510

Last edited:
Got a 500 in TPR Review Test 2. 22 days left, don't know what to do.

I say keep your head up and keep going at it. Make sure you review your tests thoroughly and identify where your weaknesses are. Just make sure that you're nailing the questions that are directly based off the passages since that is the question style of the real thing. Don't let practice exam scores scare you. The only scores that you should be basing any decision off of is the AAMC official practice material. Keep up the hard work, it'll pay off.

Reactions: 1 users
When is everyone planning to apply?

I sent in my primary two days ago. Hoping to be verified around the time of my test, finish secondaries in the month I wait for my score and be complete the day of my score release.

how many fls you guys gnna take these last couple of weeks?

I've scheduled myself for 2 more NS FL's, the AAMC unscored and AAMC scored. The week of the real thing I am not taking any fl's.

@Dr_Curry and @neurodejent, thanks for the reassurance. I really hope so. It is discouraging to not see improvement. My highest score so far is a 504 and I feel like I need to get a 508 before walking into the exam because although some people score higher on kaplan, my Kaplan teacher told me that is not the case for everyone and I should definitely not count on it. I don't know if he's just scaring me or if thats the reality but he told me most people get like around their testing average. I want to believe what you guys are saying but also want to err on the side of caution.

That said, we only have 3 weeks. The pressure is really on. I feel kind of stressed out to the max as this is my last chance for the mcat. I heavily debated pushing back to the 20th, but I decided against it as my job starts on the 11th so I would really only be buying 6 more days and then whatever free time I have after work. I don't know if that would be worth it as my mind would not be totally in the game once work/school starts. Ugh decisions decisions.

I heard a reasonable score increase to expect is 2 points a week and 3 points if you REALLY push yourself.

@Dr_Curry and @neurodejent, thanks for the reassurance. I really hope so. It is discouraging to not see improvement. My highest score so far is a 504 and I feel like I need to get a 508 before walking into the exam because although some people score higher on kaplan, my Kaplan teacher told me that is not the case for everyone and I should definitely not count on it. I don't know if he's just scaring me or if thats the reality but he told me most people get like around their testing average. I want to believe what you guys are saying but also want to err on the side of caution.

That said, we only have 3 weeks. The pressure is really on. I feel kind of stressed out to the max as this is my last chance for the mcat. I heavily debated pushing back to the 20th, but I decided against it as my job starts on the 11th so I would really only be buying 6 more days and then whatever free time I have after work. I don't know if that would be worth it as my mind would not be totally in the game once work/school starts. Ugh decisions decisions.

I heard a reasonable score increase to expect is 2 points a week and 3 points if you REALLY push yourself.

I try not to get too caught up in what a score on any particular exam correlates to the real because that allows you to get complacent. So please take the score correlations as a confidence booster, knowing that you are certainly on the right path and within striking distance. Just keep going! :)

Thanks @Dr_Curry and @Ad2b

Your words are very encouraging. I will definitely keep trying my best. I really want to be done with this exam. I finally decided not to push back as I want to go to boston to see my sister on the 6th for a few days before I have to be back for work. If I get a 508 on exam day I will cry tears of joy. I'm so glad I made some friends on SDN who are taking the test on tbe same day! I was a silent lurker on sdn for years but made an account for this test day thread.

Good luck with your studying guys. It's hard not to get psyched out but you guys are pretty calm and confident. That's the right attitude!

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like I'm going to take the unscored fl on the 22nd, and if I don't get a % right I want, I will reschedule for Aug 25th or September 1st.
I don't want to rush anything, and have to study for this exam again loll

Yeah I'm planing on taking the sample on the 22 and the scored on the 29th! hopefully I do well and get in a range that makes me feel comfortable.

Taking the unscored tomorrow (18th) and the scored probably on the 25th. My goal is 512 but I'm totally fine with my instate program, who's average was 506-507.

Hey all, any ideas how a 71%/83%/74%/85% on the sample AAMC is? I have no idea what the percentages mean, or how indicative it is of my readiness. I will be banging out the physics and bio review in the next couple of weeks obviously. I would just like to get a 509+

Anyone taking the MCATs August 5th want access to Princeton Review's prep site? I did not use it as prudently as I should have and am looking to sell access to it ASAP. Practice tests still available, practice passages and all recorded lectures til 12/8.

Hey all, any ideas how a 71%/83%/74%/85% on the sample AAMC is? I have no idea what the percentages mean, or how indicative it is of my readiness. I will be banging out the physics and bio review in the next couple of weeks obviously. I would just like to get a 509+

Your score is probably something like this: CP: 126 CARS: 127 BB: 127 PS: 128
Total: 508

Looks solid man! stick with it. The consensus is that the sample test is a bit easy but looks like you're almost there!

Your score is probably something like this: CP: 126 CARS: 127 BB: 127 PS: 128
Total: 508

Looks solid man! stick with it. The consensus is that the sample test is a bit easy but looks like you're almost there!
Thanks man, appreciate the help and support.

Well I bit the bullet and delayed to the 25th of august. I had to let go of a job opportunity, but I felt I had to make this sacrifice. I really hope its worth it. I just wasnt feeling confident.
How are you guys dealing with the stress that this exam will determine your future?