The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I could avoid content review! :laugh:
I took a TPR and Kaplan FL cold and got a 19 and 20 on them. So, that's bad.
Physics is my main issue so I'm hoping officially switching to TBR for physics along with nova will help. So far so good for mostly everything else! I hope all this content review is actually worth it... So nervous.
Right with you! We got this though!

FYI if you're self-teaching physics 2 I HIGHLY recommend wikipremed. I basically had to teach myself physics 2 as well and that site saved me completely

Thanks bud! I will definitely have to check that out. Self teaching electrostatics and magnetism without videos is bringing the heat right now!

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you guys start taking fls?
I recommend no later than a month out at the latest. I started all my prep mid-June and got into FLs the second week. That being said, I was on an FL-heavy schedule.
But definitely July 1st at the latest because you'll need to build up stamina. How many per week will depend on your resources and pacing.

Hey everyone, I'm late to the party but i'm loving the positive vibes in here!! I'm running a modified Sn2 schedule and will hopefully be able to study full time this summer. Hoping to get most content review done by late june-early july and then will be hitting the practice tests HARD. I've got a decent science background but i'm probably going to need to spend extra time on some on PS topics like waves, fluids, E&M, solubility and acid/bases and will need a big refresher on all of ochem. Best of luck on the studying everyone and i'm excited to see everyone's progress!!

When do you guys start taking fls?

First FL is on July 6th.
I will be taking all 8 AAMC FLs from that Sunday on every Sunday and Thursday leading up to our 8/7 test date (a Thursday).... so when the big day arrives it's just like another FL day.

I think two FL a week will be manageable. No content review during this time except concepts I get wrong on the FLs.

First FL is on July 6th.
I will be taking all 8 AAMC FLs from that Sunday on every Sunday and Thursday leading up to our 8/7 test date (a Thursday).... so when the big day arrives it's just like another FL day.

I think two FL a week will be manageable. No content review during this time except concepts I get wrong on the FLs.

Same here definitely.

First FL is on July 6th.

First FL for me after 6 weeks of content review with these tpr books is TPR3 on June 21st. Then one every weekend after that with one falling within the week days. And post game after each one.

I jumped on the August 7th train with you guys. Should be fun. :oops:

Reactions: 3 users
Joining in as well :) Just feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the materials I have (examcrakers, kaplan, TBR).....having trouble focusing and jumping around alot between the materials, which i don't think I should be doing.

Joining in as well :) Just feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the materials I have (examcrakers, kaplan, TBR).....having trouble focusing and jumping around alot between the materials, which i don't think I should be doing.

I'm doing the same thing simply because I wasn't getting what I wanted from certain books. TBR explains physics to me better than TPR does. TPR bio is also too detailed for my liking so I'm using EK now. Yay for consistency.

I'm doing the same thing simply because I wasn't getting what I wanted from certain books. TBR explains physics to me better than TPR does. TPR bio is also too detailed for my liking so I'm using EK now. Yay for consistency.
There's always some details on the discretes for BS, though, and from the looks of the MCAT threads, discretes are becoming less and less freebies. I found TPR to be the perfect level of detail for those kind of questions. EK was a bit light/fluffy and TBR is like a GRE Bio review book..lol

Know the strength of each resource and use them accordingly! Can try to help if you want

Members don't see this ad :)
Know the strength of each resource and use them accordingly! Can try to help if you want

Oh that would be great! Any help would be much appreciated. So after reading many different threads on SDN, I decided to do this:

Use TBR, Kaplan, and Chad's Videos for Content Review.

For practice questions (mainly discretes): Do the questions that come with the videos, all of the EK 1001 series (physics, orgo, and gen chem), and Kaplan subject tests.

For practice passages: Do the TBR passages, EK Verbal 1001 and Bio 1001, Kaplan topicals/section test.

Full lengths: All of AAMC as well as Self-Assessment, and Kaplan.

Do you think this plan would work?

Oh that would be great! Any help would be much appreciated. So after reading many different threads on SDN, I decided to do this:

For practice questions (mainly discretes): Do the questions that come with the videos, all of the EK 1001 series (physics, orgo, and gen chem), and Kaplan subject tests.

For practice passages: Do the TBR passages, EK Verbal 1001 and Bio 1001, Kaplan topicals/section test.

Depends on you as an individual, your materials are more than enough to adequately prepare someone for the MCAT. It's easy to get overwhelmed with an abundance of materials though, I think that once you figure out the materials that work best for you and stick with those then you'll be great.

Out of curiosity, are you guys all shooting for MD schools? Anyone specifically want to get into a DO school, or would be okay with going there? Caribbean?

I am from Texas and think I would be crazy to want to go anywhere but a Texas MD school. UTMB is my dream school after they held an amazing premedical conference.

I'm shooting for MD, yes. My mcat ultimately will make a large difference in what i decide down the road.

My opinions:

EK 1001 is really only for the basics. If you're already going well on your content, don't burn all your time on EK. Move to passages. Just use it for topics you're less clear with to drill concepts in via repetition. Don't do every single problem; it's so repetitive and hardly anyone would benefit from doing everything. Do like every 2nd problem, 3rd problem, etc.

Kaplan section tests are pretty challenging (while still being realistic and useful), so I'd leave them until you're almost in FL mode; otherwise, you're wasting really good material when you're not prepared. Even Kaplan topicals can get really hard with the passages/discretes, but again, pretty high-yield imo.

Remember that Kaplan VR is dumb. The passages are great to read to practice reading speed and comprehension, but the questions are like SAT-type and pure crap. SDN concurs with me on this one.

TBR Bio/Orgo are realllllllly detailed. Sure, doesn't hurt to know all that obviously, but do not spend time memorizing the glycolysis pathway unless you already know it from biochem; waste of time. Passages in those books are also eh; toooo many straight recall stuff, not enough application like Kaplan section tests give you.

TBR PS is a gold mine. Want >13 on PS? Aim for >80% on those passages.

But again, everyone's different, so feel free to ignore any or all of my advice!

Reactions: 2 users
Meh. I'm nearly done with TPRH SW General Chemistry passages. I was doing so well for the most part, missing about 0-1 on most passages. Then I got to the section on gases and just got slaughtered. Needless to say, I discovered my weak point in General Chemistry, lol. I thought that was one of the easier topics, but I guess you can't really tell until you take practice passages.

Kinda worried though because I feel like I've been able to reason through most of TPRH SW questions with the occasional glance at the passage. TBR seems entirely different where there's a lot more emphasis on the passage to answer questions, and they take longer. I don't know if I'll have time to take TBR passages, I'd like to, but my goal is to finish TPRH SW - find my weaknesses, then tackle TBR passages in order from worst topic to best. Probably won't finish the SW until end of June since it takes about a week per subject.

I wish I didn't have to take summer classes though. I'm taking molecular genetics, some class called 'advanced biology' and biostatistics (whatever the heck that is). You guys might see a grumpier side of me in a few days :)

My opinions:

EK 1001 is really only for the basics. If you're already going well on your content, don't burn all your time on EK. Move to passages. Just use it for topics you're less clear with to drill concepts in via repetition. Don't do every single problem; it's so repetitive and hardly anyone would benefit from doing everything. Do like every 2nd problem, 3rd problem, etc.

Kaplan section tests are pretty challenging (while still being realistic and useful), so I'd leave them until you're almost in FL mode; otherwise, you're wasting really good material when you're not prepared. Even Kaplan topicals can get really hard with the passages/discretes, but again, pretty high-yield imo.

Remember that Kaplan VR is dumb. The passages are great to read to practice reading speed and comprehension, but the questions are like SAT-type and pure crap. SDN concurs with me on this one.

TBR Bio/Orgo are realllllllly detailed. Sure, doesn't hurt to know all that obviously, but do not spend time memorizing the glycolysis pathway unless you already know it from biochem; waste of time. Passages in those books are also eh; toooo many straight recall stuff, not enough application like Kaplan section tests give you.

TBR PS is a gold mine. Want >13 on PS? Aim for >80% on those passages.

But again, everyone's different, so feel free to ignore any or all of my advice!

Thank you so much Moop for your advice!!! I definitely have noticed some of the trends that you mentioned in your post. If I am taking the test Aug. 7th, ideally when should I be starting to do full lengths?

Thank you so much Moop for your advice!!! I definitely have noticed some of the trends that you mentioned in your post. If I am taking the test Aug. 7th, ideally when should I be starting to do full lengths?
I would like to say mid- to late June but it depends on many FLs you have and how you pace. More FLs over less when possible

Yeah, I'm aiming to have content review & TPRH SW completed by July 10 the latest, and last 3 weeks will be devoted entirely to FL's.

Yeah, I'm aiming to have content review & TPRH SW completed by July 10 the latest, and last 3 weeks will be devoted entirely to FL's.

You're aiming for a similar goal as me. Although I'm aiming for July 1st.

Here's my progress so far with TPRH Scienceworkbook (General Chemistry):

1: Stoichiometry and Atomic Structure
Total Passages: 15 (84 correct of 103Q: 81.6%)

2: Periodic Trends and Bonding
Total Passages: 15 (79 correct of 96Q: 82.3%)

3: Phases, Gases, and Colligative Properties
Total Passages: 14 (64 correct of 81Q: 79.0%)

4: Solutions and Kinetics
Total Passages: 4 (22 correct of 29Q: 75.9%)

5: Equilibrium; Acids and Bases (I)
Total Passages: 11 (70 correct of 81Q: 86.4%)

6: Acids and Bases (II)
Total Passages: 9 (52 correct of 56Q: 92.9%)

7: Thermodynamics
Total Passages: 7 (43 correct of 54Q: 79.6%)

8: Redox/Electrochemistry - not completed yet; will update later

----

All Topics: Total Discretes: 69 correct of 75: 92% (so far)

Not sure what to make of these results. Not too impressed either. Meh

@moop Thanks for all your input on this thread! I agree, TBR PS is perfect... great questions in there.

@Shipley231 MD for sure.

Hope everyone's been going hard on their content review! I'm getting down and dirty with some GChem this Saturday morning

@moop Thanks for all your input on this thread! I agree, TBR PS is perfect... great questions in there.

@Shipley231 MD for sure.

Hope everyone's been going hard on their content review! I'm getting down and dirty with some GChem this Saturday morning

Today is my break day! Got my GF living with me and we are both doing SN2ED's schedule! Huge morale booster having someone with you. I'm a day ahead of her on the schedule, but we adjust our break days to have them together. O-chem is getting a little stressful for me trying to self teach but I think it's going OK. Would be a goner without Chad's videos.

Today is my break day! Got my GF living with me and we are both doing SN2ED's schedule! Huge morale booster having someone with you. I'm a day ahead of her on the schedule, but we adjust our break days to have them together. O-chem is getting a little stressful for me trying to self teach but I think it's going OK. Would be a goner without Chad's videos.
Oh I'm sure there's more than just morale boosting going on with the gf around ;) :naughty:

Go geddit

Reactions: 1 users
Must be nice. :p Having trouble staying motivated myself. Just so sick of studying.

How I feel when reading Verbal:

Blm800UIgAEp_ni.jpg:large

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else stressed about all the memorization required for the Bio section? :S

I was initially but after reading a lot of the comments of recent MCATers it seems as though the basic concepts are important but the passage breakdown is more important. Not saying that is necessarily any easier/better but at least I don't have to stress too hard about the memorization aspect.

As I've fallen behind, I want to know how you guys are studying. Are you doing passages right after reading the chapters? Do you do every third passage, or knock out an entire chapter's worth of questions at once?

I'm doing one-third passages after every chapter, but I don't think it's working so well for me.

Yeah I do 1/3rd of the passages right after reading (maybe a small break to take a walk and get some air). I've substituted a day on SN2ED's schedule where instead of doing the EK1001 questions and re-read all of the chapters, I watch all of the corresponding Chad's videos for the subjects and then do the corresponding 2/3rd passages. On the next review day, I focus mostly on my big o-chem knowledge gap to try and pound home some concepts. I find the videos to be a better way for me to cement the concepts because they present them in a slightly different manner, so I'm not just skimming the chapters again without learning anything new.

Yeah I do 1/3rd of the passages right after reading (maybe a small break to take a walk and get some air). I've substituted a day on SN2ED's schedule where instead of doing the EK1001 questions and re-read all of the chapters, I watch all of the corresponding Chad's videos for the subjects and then do the corresponding 2/3rd passages. On the next review day, I focus mostly on my big o-chem knowledge gap to try and pound home some concepts. I find the videos to be a better way for me to cement the concepts because they present them in a slightly different manner, so I'm not just skimming the chapters again without learning anything new.

Thanks for the reply. At what point do you do the remaining 1/3rd passages for the chapter? Do you finish an entire section before moving on to the next chapter?

How would you go about understainding? Aren't the questions going to ask you to recall specific facts? such as the amount of ATP made per glucose, etc?

I find bio is more memorizing than anything, at least compared to the other sciences. It just isn't intuitive. You can't really *understand* why clathrin coats are formed of triskelions; you just have to memorize it.

Thanks for the reply. At what point do you do the remaining 1/3rd passages for the chapter? Do you finish an entire section before moving on to the next chapter?

The remaining 1/3rd will be done after all of my content review is finished, according to the SN2ED schedule. I believe this is to get all of the concepts fresh in your mind before tackling FLs, and to try and tie some of the concepts together. I'm debating whether doing the remaining 1/3rd is worth it, however, and whether that time would be better spent doing a few extra third party FLs, like Gold Standard etc.

I'm still deep in the throes of content review. I learned all the O. Chem alcohol reactions today, as well as SN1/2 and E1/2. Phew, my brain hurts, especially after not seeing any O Chem in 13 years. :wow:

Ooooh okay

I saw your post about working on FLs. Are you already through with your content review this early? I'm going to be taking FLs all of July and I wish I was able to start studying a couple of weeks earlier so that I could have more time working FLs.

Checking in. My test is August 1st so its the closest to the date. Has anybody did the TBR passages? I am roughly getting -78-81 % for all Chapter 1s. I am doing a modified Sn2ed schedule.

Checking in. My test is August 1st so its the closest to the date. Has anybody did the TBR passages? I am roughly getting -78-81 % for all Chapter 1s. I am doing a modified Sn2ed schedule.
For TBR, 78-81% is pretty good.

Should we wait to do the TBR passages after finishing all the content review or do them as we are going through each chapter?

What topics is everyone struggling with? Just recently started looking at Physics. I think I'll focus on using NOVA Physics even though I have TBR. NOVA seems more interesting to read, and previous reviews seem really positive. I have an older edition (like 2005). I don'think it has changed since then. Atleast I hope not.

Should we wait to do the TBR passages after finishing all the content review or do them as we are going through each chapter?
I'd personally do them after you finish a topic so that way you really know you understand the material, and if not, you can run through what you didn't really quickly.