The OFFICIAL ERAS 2010-2011 Interview Season VENT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luv2Cut

Mineral Water Connoisseur
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Use this thread to complain, scream, vent about the whole interview process)

I really HATE being reduced to a series of scores and numbers!

I really HATE IT that I could get FILTERED out of an interview!

What about intangibles like work ethic?

What about my published research in the field I'm applying to? Does that count or will I get FILTERED OUT?

THIS SUCKS WAITING ON AN INTERVIEW INVITE!

I feel like I can hang with any program anywhere. It chaps me that some loser with 99th percentile on their boards but an arrogant attitude, poor work ethic will slide into a spot rather than ME!

Okay I feel a little better now....

Members don't see this ad.

You sound more like a med student than an attending with this thread.

At least you have a career, "Dr. Attending"

I don't think the whole process it less frustrating. I'm becoming as neurotic as the 4th years on this board.

I heard someone say once, "If your not doing what you love, then shame on you." So, yes I have a career. And I'm doing VERY well for my specialty/training. But you gotta do what you gotta do. If I fall flat on my face then so be it. At least I went for it.

Do I detect a sliver of truth to the belief that medical students are treated like crap the majority of the time? It would seem from Luv2cut's posts that anyone who has been out of medschool daycare long enough to become an attending becomes really frustrated when placed back into daycare?:laugh:

There's the "old school" thinking that meds students should be treated like crap because they haven't paid their dues.

And let me say that I TOTALLY DISAGREE with this notion. It's asinine, unfair, uncivil and borders on immoral. Med students should never be treated like crap.

Interns should.

There's the "old school" thinking that meds students should be treated like crap because they haven't paid their dues.

And let me say that I TOTALLY DISAGREE with this notion. It's asinine, unfair, uncivil and borders on immoral. Med students should never be treated like crap.

Interns should.

No one should be treated like crap. :idea:

Interns should.

thanks for the reminder. :thumbup:

Let me clarify as my last post was somewhat tongue in cheek and I do not want to be misconstrued. Some people term "treated like crap" as to mean mental and emotional hazing. Which I totally disagree with at any level of training.

And some students/interns term this as they had to stay after 5pm or had more ICU patients assigned to them or had more call over the month. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), in order to learn how to become a doctor you much spend many hours in the hospital and have many difficult patients.

Most, if not all, students don't REALLY understand what this is going to be like. Oh, they have an idea but until you experience it yourself you don't really know. I tell my students that when they graduate and start residency their fixing to get the crap kicked out of them. They don't want to hear it or think I am "being mean" but that is what happens. Honestly if you're in a program that's any good then that is actually what you WANT. Who wants to say did their training and it was the easiest thing they ever did? Not me.

I do know that most students understand that its going to be ALOT of work though. Or they wouldn't be at this point in the first place.

Let me clarify as my last post was somewhat tongue in cheek and I do not want to be misconstrued. Some people term "treated like crap" as to mean mental and emotional hazing. Which I totally disagree with at any level of training.

And some students/interns term this as they had to stay after 5pm or had more ICU patients assigned to them or had more call over the month. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), in order to learn how to become a doctor you much spend many hours in the hospital and have many difficult patients.

Most, if not all, students don't REALLY understand what this is going to be like. Oh, they have an idea but until you experience it yourself you don't really know. I tell my students that when they graduate and start residency their fixing to get the crap kicked out of them. They don't want to hear it or think I am "being mean" but that is what happens. Honestly if you're in a program that's any good then that is actually what you WANT. Who wants to say did their training and it was the easiest thing they ever did? Not me.

I do know that most students understand that its going to be ALOT of work though. Or they wouldn't be at this point in the first place.

Relax, there was no offense taken on my part. And to clarify I was really just referring to how the entire process of medical school, especially the parts about constantly competiting and constantly being judged can really make you feel inadequate. Of course, these social pressures are set up so that if you constantly are feeling inferior you will constantly be studying to improve.
However, this was supposed to be a rant about the ERAS process...so rant away and my apologies for highjacking your thread.

Relax, there was no offense taken on my part. And to clarify I was really just referring to how the entire process of medical school, especially the parts about constantly competiting and constantly being judged can really make you feel inadequate. Of course, these social pressures are set up so that if you constantly are feeling inferior you will constantly be studying to improve.
However, this was supposed to be a rant about the ERAS process...so rant away and my apologies for highjacking your thread.

Understood.:thumbup: No apologies necessary. :laugh: