**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mmm, thanks. So, taking the MCAT in August should allow me enough time to be on top of my game when applying to the SMPs, considering I would get my scores back early to mid September.

Here's another question...

How do SMPs (and medical schools, for that matter) judge canceled of re-taken MCATs? I've been told by a respectable source that they don't care much for the old MCAT scores (provided that the second time around is better) and that canceled scores don't have any effect...

is this a valid assumption?
It was suggested to me that I should sit for the June test and maybe cancel it, and that would give me an edge for next time, since it might not hurt.
 
Here's my situation: 35 MCAT, 3.4 science and overall GPA from Princeton. I applied to 20 schools and wasn't interviewed. My school premed committee adviser is puzzled, and told me to get feedback from some of the schools. I spoke with the director of admissions at Georgetown, who told me I should do an SMP year and reapply. I just wanted to get a few other opinions, and as most admissions departments are telling me to call back in May or June, I thought this might be a good place get some advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how SMP adcoms feel about non-science majors? Do they particularly think that such a program is very suitable for them? I'm in the performing arts and could only take one science course per semester. Recently, I was contemplating taking upper-science courses (full-time) at an extension school, because I ruled out the possibility of getting in an SMP with a BCPM gpa sub-3.0. My regular GPA is 3.3. To me, I think SMPs would fit me well, since I'll actually have the opportunity to take a full-load of science courses; on the other hand, my science gpa is good enough.

What are my chances for solid SMPs?

Thanks.
 
Does anyone know how SMP adcoms feel about non-science majors? Do they particularly think that such a program is very suitable for them? I'm in the performing arts and could only take one science course per semester. Recently, I was contemplating taking upper-science courses (full-time) at an extension school, because I ruled out the possibility of getting in an SMP with a BCPM gpa sub-3.0. My regular GPA is 3.3. To me, I think SMPs would fit me well, since I'll actually have the opportunity to take a full-load of science courses; on the other hand, my science gpa is good enough.

What are my chances for solid SMPs?

Your major is almost irrelevant. Your MCAT is very relevant. With a good MCAT you have a good chance. Bad MCAT: slim to none.

Also you´re almost out of time to apply to 2008 SMPs, so if you want a choice (and have already taken the MCAT) you should probably start sending out applications.


Hi everyone. I've read through this post and I like the help and information here. I graduated in May'07 with biochem from a tech school. my gpa was about a 2.5 (i know, it sucks ) , and i've been working for the past 7 months now. I've also had other research experience, work and volunteer experience too. I havent taken my MCATs yet, but i was getting about 24s on the practice tests that i took. I want to quit my job so i can devote time to studying for MCATs and doing WELL the first time I take it, but I have been hesitant. I realize a year of my time has been wasted for other personal reasons, and I'm not sure how that will affect my chances for admission to any school. I'm getting recommendations from professors soon. But I would like to know what my chances may be to get in. I've looked into american medical schools, carribbean medical schools, PA programs, osteopathic schools, and SMPs. I feel the SMPs can help me most, but I just dont know what I need to get in! I realize I'm kind of late in the admission process for most of these schools, but I really want to get in. If i do get in, and do well after 1 year, do you think I will have a better chance of getting into an american med school? Thanks for your time and help! ~AJS

First, to get into an SMP you need a GPA of at LEAST a 2.8, and at least a 3.0 if your MCAT isn´t WAY above average. No you´re probably not getting into an SMP for 2008. If you bring up your Ugrad grades and get a good MCAT in 2008, you have a shot at an SMP for 2009 which, if you do very well in it, should get you in for 2010 or 2011. Sorry if this isn´t what you wanted to hear, but keep in mind the average American allo matriculant last year had a 3.7 and a 31. What you´re trying to do is convince an ADCOM to take one of those seats away from someone with a 3.7 and a 31 and give it to you, which considering you stats is probably going to take some time.

If you don´t do the SMP you have no chance of admission to an MD or DO US school, regardless of your MCAT, with less than a 3.0. You have almost no chance with less than 3.4. If you´re trying to bring up your grades keep in mind that DO schools replace grades, while MD schools average grades from retaken classes. If you want to go Craib, you have a decent chance with a GOOD MCAT and a GPA of over a 3.0, but keep in mind that many island matriculants either don´t graduate or don´t match, and are then stuck with loads of debt and no career.

PA programs are easier, but I believe you´re still not very near the cutoffs. Go to the PA forum to check.

good luck, this has been done before, you can do it if you want it badly enough.


Here's my situation: 35 MCAT, 3.4 science and overall GPA from Princeton. I applied to 20 schools and wasn't interviewed. My school premed committee adviser is puzzled, and told me to get feedback from some of the schools. I spoke with the director of admissions at Georgetown, who told me I should do an SMP year and reapply. I just wanted to get a few other opinions, and as most admissions departments are telling me to call back in May or June, I thought this might be a good place get some advice.

I don´t think you need the SMP, but if you want one the send in the applications now and call the admissions committees in May or June. You can always decline your acceptance to the SMP if you get different advice.
 
Your major is almost irrelevant. Your MCAT is very relevant. With a good MCAT you have a good chance. Bad MCAT: slim to none.

Also you´re almost out of time to apply to 2008 SMPs, so if you want a choice (and have already taken the MCAT) you should probably start sending out applications.


I'm not planning to apply this year, maybe next year. Thanks for your advice.

Do you know if when SMPs talk about "a minimum GPA of 3.0," do they mean cumulative or science? I know a few just flat out say cumulative and others state both. But when schools say cumulative, do they disregard the science gpa?
 
Do you know if when SMPs talk about "a minimum GPA of 3.0," do they mean cumulative or science? I know a few just flat out say cumulative and others state both. But when schools say cumulative, do they disregard the science gpa?

With the sole exception of Loyola, I believe they all mean a ´suggested´minimum of 3.0, cumulative. If your MCAT is high enough they´ll let you in with a sub 3.0 GPA in any event.
 
Does anyone know if the MAMS program at BU accepts students to begin only in the fall semester or is there also an opportunity for students to enter in the spring?
 
Do I belong in a post-bacc?

I have 3.5, 3.6 Science
10
12PS
10 = 32P

What are the benefits as opposed to taking another year of undergrad?

Im talking about SMPs, not pre-req post-baccs.

Will a successful post-bacc at Tufts or BU or georgetown or UMDNJ help me get into a more prestigious school?

Thanks for responses!

you don't need a postbacc or SMP...i don't think more classes will help your situation honestly.

as far as i'm concerned SMPs are designed to help get you into a medical school, not to upgrade you to a better one.
 
Does anyone have any experience with Temple as a SMP? They require 3.3 GPA, and 24 mcat....does anyone know if they make exceptions for lower gpa and higher mcat?
 
Hey guys, i've noticed a few members here have beed admissed and completed one of the tulane SMPS and i had a few questions about it. First of all i wish to eventually pursue a PhD in pharmacology / molecular pharmacology, not necessarily an MD but if i can squeeze it in then what the hey. Im primarily looking to the tulane SMP so i have something to do next year, because i wasn't on the ball applying for grad programs. My stats are as follows

Major GPA (major:biochemistry minor: chemistry): 3.67
Cum GPA: 3.64
Math Science GPA: 3.70
Mcat 28Q: 9-physical, 10-verbal, 9-biochem

Extracurricular:
Some honors level coursework. HNRS biochem hiv/aids classes etc...
3 years student work in plant pathology lab.
2 years on independant research project, but i didnt complete it.
1 year Princeton review instructor
-MCAT OChem instructor
-DAT Ochem / Biology Instructor
-Average teacher rating 4.3/5
**potentially cross-training in MCAT Gchem in may.
Volunteer:
-100+ hours in hospitcal
-3 habitat for humanity builds
-lots of little things
***some notes:
-my GPA is a little low but all of my free electives were 3000+ level biology coursework. (1-3000 level, 3-4000 levels).
- also i will be applying rather late. should have everything in first week of may!

So anywho im just looking to get an evaluation of where i stand, maybe there are some other programs that offer pharmacoloy/biotechnology SMPs that im better fit for? I appreciate anyhelp i can get!
 
Ashulgin,

SMPs are designed to help people with Low GPAs (3.0~3.4) with higher MCATs to become competitive.

Please do yourself a favor, save $ 50k and improve MCAT. I am surprised to see many people with 3.5+ GPA going the SMP route 😕
 
So anywho im just looking to get an evaluation of where i stand, maybe there are some other programs that offer pharmacoloy/biotechnology SMPs that im better fit for? I appreciate anyhelp i can get!

SMPs are to help people get into medical school, you don´t need the help (or want to go to med school). There are plenty of of one year masters and MPHs you still have time to apply for. Also you could just, you know, work. Apply for the PhD you want for 2009.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently accepted to the Midwestern SMP. I applied late to several DO and MD programs for the 2008 application cycle. I did not interview and have been rejected from every place that I applied to (I'm assuming the places that say my "decisions" are in the mail are rejections). I believe that an SMP will give me an edge the first year of medical school; however, it is a lot of money. Should I attend the SMP and pay the $25K+? I really want to get in school as soon as possible. My wife says that we can't have kids until she knows we'll be in one place for a couple of years. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

These are my stats:
Graduated with a BA in Anthropology
GPA 3.55
DO Science: 3.3
MD Science: 3.1
MCAT 22R: V7 P8 B8
GRE 1150: V580 Q570
  • My undergrad. thesis paper is submitted to present at the American Anthropological Association later this year in San Francisco, CA.
  • I have ER volunteer experience and shadowing experiences.
  • I've shadowed a DO that wrote me an excellent letter this year (I think) and plan to work with him this summer once a week in a free clinic he operates for underrepresented population in the community.
  • Well...there's more, but I teach high school world history and career research and lunch break is over...have to get to the ninth graders before they tear up the room stand and deliver style.

PS:
I've enjoyed reading these posts and decided to join. Thanks for your advice.
 
I believe that an SMP will give me an edge the first year of medical school; however, it is a lot of money. Should I attend the SMP and pay the $25K+? I really want to get in school as soon as possible. My wife says that we can't have kids until she knows we'll be in one place for a couple of years. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

If you've already made friends with DO, then I think you can just focus on improving your MCAT score, and apply early and broadly for '10. The SMP is helpful in this case, and Midwestern's program is good, but arguably not essential.

If you want to be competitive at MD schools, then yes, an SMP and improving your MCAT are necessary. And the Midwestern program isn't going to be all that reputable at MD schools.

Two things: first, location. You're in Florida, right? You can still apply to USF's and Barry's 1 year masters programs, which hold water with Florida schools (at least). Florida has 2 more new MD schools this year, plus two really strong DO schools, so I wouldn't leave the state. You'll save a lot of tuition if you stay.

Second, timing. I don't think you're set up to reapply for '09 matriculation. You lose your early app if you wait for a good MCAT score. And any SMP benefit isn't reportable until next January. So you're 2 years from starting med school anyway. In your shoes I'd focus on Florida, maybe do a FL SMP, definitely kill the MCAT, and let the wife know you're not going anywhere for 2 years and that you'll probably still be in Florida for the next 6.

Best of luck to you.
 
I poked around through a couple threads (Thanks, search function!) but I couldn't find a solid opinion on how many post-bac applications is sufficient for a good chance of getting accepted to at least one of them. Some said 3-4 some said 5-6, etc. I've applied to Georgetown, Tufts, Tulane's ACP, and Drexel's IMS. Am I in good shape, or should I consider more programs?
 
if you are a solid applicant 3.6/30, a few of the more established/competitive SMPs and 1 or 2 backup should be plent. so maybe 4 max? if you are below 3.0, i would sai 5 or 6. there are some schools that accept pretty much everybody.
 
SMPs are to help people get into medical school, you don´t need the help (or want to go to med school). There are plenty of of one year masters and MPHs you still have time to apply for. Also you could just, you know, work. Apply for the PhD you want for 2009.

MPH is not a good degree for showing basic science academic strength so if that is your goal, an MPH is not the best answer. A 1 year MS in a basic science discipline would be much better. ALWAYS (almost) save the SMP for your last "gasp" effort if all else fails.
 
Can I use my LORs for medical school for SMPs and post-bacc programs? They might sound like they were written with the context for medical school, instead of these programs, but still assess my capacity as a student. I would hate to ask my profs to rewrite LORs in a different context.

Another question: When currently doing an SMP, I hear that the coursework is very intense throughout the year. Since the faq recommends applying to med school the summer before, how do you guys attend interviews while doing the SMP?
 
Can I use my LORs for medical school for SMPs and post-bacc programs? They might sound like they were written with the context for medical school, instead of these programs, but still assess my capacity as a student. I would hate to ask my profs to rewrite LORs in a different context.

Another question: When currently doing an SMP, I hear that the coursework is very intense throughout the year. Since the faq recommends applying to med school the summer before, how do you guys attend interviews while doing the SMP?

You can use the same LORs, but I think it would be better if you had letters that addressed the SMP/postbac program you're applying to. I provided my letter writers with info about the programs I applied to and why I wanted to go there.

Most classes aren't mandatory, and professors are usually flexible and will allow you to take exams early or later, provided that you give them more than a moment's notice. Having to fly out for a nerve-racking interview while worrying about falling behind in classes you have to do well in is stressful, but it's not that bad.
 
Hi Braluk, I have a question.

I had UG Biology GPA 2.6, BCPM 2.9
and did MS in Biology with 3.9.
MCAT I did 12 P, 11 B, 9 V

I think have enough clinical experience and other EC.
I'm applying this summer but I've been worrying how I might not have any chance.

Would you still recommend SMP for an applicant like me?
 
Hi Braluk, I have a question.

I had UG Biology GPA 2.6, BCPM 2.9
and did MS in Biology with 3.9.
MCAT I did 12 P, 11 B, 9 V

I think have enough clinical experience and other EC.
I'm applying this summer but I've been worrying how I might not have any chance.

Would you still recommend SMP for an applicant like me?

If it was a full-time MS in biology you are probably in good shape with a recent strong MCAT and, as you say - competitive EC's. Ride this year out and if you dont get what you want, then do the SMP.
 
If it was a full-time MS in biology you are probably in good shape with a recent strong MCAT and, as you say - competitive EC's. Ride this year out and if you dont get what you want, then do the SMP.
Second, you've missed most of the deadlines for the good SMPs this year anyway. Apply for class of 2013 and, if you don't get in, do an SMP in 2009 and apply for class of 2014.
 
Hey...

Has anyone completed the medical science master's program at the University of South Florida? I was accepted into the program and want to know a little more about it and about living in Tampa.

Thanks!
 
Does anyone have information on the post-bacc program at Grand Valley State in Michigan? I'm kind of in a dilemma because I kind of want to stay close to home so I can go to the football games (GO BLUE!) but I also want to go to a school with a good SMP...

My stats:
BCPM 3.21
Overall 3.30
MCAT: 11/8/11 Q (PS/V/BS)

Had a very awful first two years of college. Junior year was a 3.6 but it should have been higher because I tore my PCL playing basketball with 2-3 weeks left for winter semester and developed peripheral compartment syndrome. Received a leg/foot saving surgery and was an in-patient for a week. I ended up taking my finals with the rest of class while on pain killers and saw blood soak through my stitches into my bandages. I'm hoping for a 4.0 my senior year... I'll also be retaking my MCATs in August.

Cincinnati seems like the only school that would be right but with my credentials... it might not be a smart choice to just bank on Cincinnati. Any suggestions?
 
Does anyone have information on the post-bacc program at Grand Valley State in Michigan? I'm kind of in a dilemma because I kind of want to stay close to home so I can go to the football games (GO BLUE!) but I also want to go to a school with a good SMP...

My stats:
BCPM 3.21
Overall 3.30
MCAT: 11/8/11 Q (PS/V/BS)

Had a very awful first two years of college. Junior year was a 3.6 but it should have been higher because I tore my PCL playing basketball with 2-3 weeks left for winter semester and developed peripheral compartment syndrome. Received a leg/foot saving surgery and was an in-patient for a week. I ended up taking my finals with the rest of class while on pain killers and saw blood soak through my stitches into my bandages. I'm hoping for a 4.0 my senior year... I'll also be retaking my MCATs in August.

Cincinnati seems like the only school that would be right but with my credentials... it might not be a smart choice to just bank on Cincinnati. Any suggestions?

So why an SMP rather than a 1 year, full-time MS in a basic science discipline. You appear to have a strong academic trend from your jr-sr years with a competitive 30 MCAT. Why put yourself in jeopardy by taking an SMP?
 
Looking for some advice. My stats are 30S- 12BS 8VR 10 PS. 3.23 undergrad science gpa from "strong premed school." I applied last year and did not get an interview. I have many hours of research/clinical/hospital experience. I recently got into the Tufts MBS program and plan on doing that during the 08-09 academic year. My question is-should I reapply to med school this summer and bank on doing really well this fall or should I complete the whole year of the MBS and then apply?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So why an SMP rather than a 1 year, full-time MS in a basic science discipline. You appear to have a strong academic trend from your jr-sr years with a competitive 30 MCAT. Why put yourself in jeopardy by taking an SMP?

I'm considering SMP because it seems that SMP seems more logical for me rather than doing some random MS degree at an unknown university. From what I've read in past posts, it seems that medical schools don't really know how to perceive the grades obtained for an MS degree because the grades aren't normalized for all colleges. With a degree/certificate from an SMP, such as Georgetown and Cincinnati, colleges know what the grades represent. The high matric percentage is also plus for me...

Any suggestions? If doing an MS degree will benefit me more than doing an SMP, will I have to take the GRE's? What schools are known to produce well rounded med school applicants that actually matric into med school the following year?
 
hey, i was wondering if it matters what you major is in college when applying to an SPM - does it matter if I major in Economics? Is it better if I major in Economics and minor in Biology, or should I just major in Biology? Also, do you need to take all the premed requirements (including the English requirements) in order to apply to these SMP programs? Thanks.
 
Here is some background on me before I shoot my questions:

AMCAS BCPM: 2.87
AMCAS cum: 3.00
AMCAS AO: 3.36
MCAT 27M (10V, 10B, 7P - only one taken)

1. Do SMPs look at AMCAS GPA to determine qualification (the common 3.0 cumulative cut off)?
2. IF I get into an SMP, will I be able to pass the initial screening for MD schools later (seeing how my ugGPA will still be below 3.0)?
3. IF I get into an SMP to start in Fall 2009, and apply for med schools in summer 2009 (which seems to be recommended to avoid a gap year) - how will I be flagged for SMP participation for the med schools before my app gets tossed due to the low GPA?
4. Any opinions on what other options I may have? I am currently applying to DO schools this cycle. I just want to keep my options open.

Thanks for any honest opinions. Calculating that GPA was a major reality check!

EDIT::: I have all my prereqs for med school completed, and I got the sense that makes it pointless for me to do a post bach program?
 
Last edited:
I know it is too late for EVMS but does anyone know of any smp programs that are still accepting applications. I want to be finished in time to matriculate in 09.

I have overall gpa 3.56, bcmp 3.65, mcat 31q
I have been denied for 07, am waitlisted for 08 and don't think I will get off again this year.

Im starting to think that being a white male is putting me at a huge disadvantage
 
hey, i was wondering if it matters what you major is in college when applying to an SPM - does it matter if I major in Economics? Is it better if I major in Economics and minor in Biology, or should I just major in Biology? Also, do you need to take all the premed requirements (including the English requirements) in order to apply to these SMP programs? Thanks.

I majored in English and I got in. Your major doesn't matter. In fact, I have heard some schools like different majors because it adds diversity. So choose the major you like best and will do well in.

And yes, you need all the pre-req classes for most SMPs, except for the ones that are designed for career-changers etc. who didn't take any science classes. You can see some of the lists of SMPs given in this forum and check out which ones have which focus, requirements, etc.
 
I would suggest retaking the MCAT. With a low gpa, you need to offset it with a high MCAT score (at least 33+).

Here is some background on me before I shoot my questions:

AMCAS BCPM: 2.87
AMCAS cum: 3.00
AMCAS AO: 3.36
MCAT 27M (10V, 10B, 7P - only one taken)

1. Do SMPs look at AMCAS GPA to determine qualification (the common 3.0 cumulative cut off)?
2. IF I get into an SMP, will I be able to pass the initial screening for MD schools later (seeing how my ugGPA will still be below 3.0)?
3. IF I get into an SMP to start in Fall 2009, and apply for med schools in summer 2009 (which seems to be recommended to avoid a gap year) - how will I be flagged for SMP participation for the med schools before my app gets tossed due to the low GPA?
4. Any opinions on what other options I may have? I am currently applying to DO schools this cycle. I just want to keep my options open.

Thanks for any honest opinions. Calculating that GPA was a major reality check!

EDIT::: I have all my prereqs for med school completed, and I got the sense that makes it pointless for me to do a post bach program?
 
I know it is too late for EVMS but does anyone know of any smp programs that are still accepting applications. I want to be finished in time to matriculate in 09.

I have overall gpa 3.56, bcmp 3.65, mcat 31q
I have been denied for 07, am waitlisted for 08 and don't think I will get off again this year.

Im starting to think that being a white male is putting me at a huge disadvantage


It's not too late to apply to Drexel. I finished 1 year of IMS this year and I'm going to DUCOM this fall. I would say that with your stats your in good shape to get accepted without an SMP if you apply early, but thats just my opinion.
 
I would suggest retaking the MCAT. With a low gpa, you need to offset it with a high MCAT score (at least 33+).

i plan to take it again in september. hopefully i can hit that number!

on another note, is drexel's ims program post bach (ie taking those classes will boost up my undergrad GPA)?

thanks!
 
Hey all, I'm new to this forum, and maybe someone has asked a similar question, but I could really use some help.
I have a 2.5 GPA (cumulative and science are both pretty similar because I was a math major) but I have a 30 MCAT (12P, 8V, 10B).

I've applied to a few SMP's so far, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any that are known to take lower GPAs for those with decent MCAT scores?

Thanks
 
i plan to take it again in september. hopefully i can hit that number!

on another note, is drexel's ims program post bach (ie taking those classes will boost up my undergrad GPA)?

thanks!

Drexel's IMS program, and any post bach program for that matter, wont really boost your undergrad GPA. Doing a post-bach will help you get into the med school your doing the post bach at, but not necessarily other schools. This is especially true if you have an especially low undergrad GPA. The Dean at Jefferson has an open door policy essentially, and a couple friends have been told that its better to take some more undergrad courses and raise their undergrad in order to improve their chances of getting accepted.
 
Drexel's IMS program, and any post bach program for that matter, wont really boost your undergrad GPA. Doing a post-bach will help you get into the med school your doing the post bach at, but not necessarily other schools. This is especially true if you have an especially low undergrad GPA. The Dean at Jefferson has an open door policy essentially, and a couple friends have been told that its better to take some more undergrad courses and raise their undergrad in order to improve their chances of getting accepted.

I guess the term "post-bach" is a loose term because I've seen "post bach" meaning "more undergrad courses after your degree". I guess I need to be more careful when I see a "post bach" program. Thanks for the response!
 
I will be attending LECOM's post-bacc in the fall, and I am currently working on AMCAS and AACOMAS applications. When I list my post-bacc program, should I click the box that says transcript required?

I don't have a transcript yet, and clicking "transcript required" would hold up my application verification. At the same time, I don't want to do something wrong and have to go back to fix it.
 
I just got into the UCinci SMP a few days ago, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go. I have a 2.6 Undergrad GPA, 35S MCAT and a single semester postbacc from CUNY Hunter in which I received a 3.67. I'm questioning whether I should continue with the (much cheaper) postbacc or if the SMP is for me--despite the additional costs. The SMP feels a lot more definite, like taking these medical school classes will prove I have the right stuff. The postbacc feels wishy washy.
 
I just got into the UCinci SMP a few days ago, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go. I have a 2.6 Undergrad GPA, 35S MCAT and a single semester postbacc from CUNY Hunter in which I received a 3.67. I'm questioning whether I should continue with the (much cheaper) postbacc or if the SMP is for me--despite the additional costs. The SMP feels a lot more definite, like taking these medical school classes will prove I have the right stuff. The postbacc feels wishy washy.

i agree with you. if the 3.67 is in undergrad courses, and it brings your uGPA up to a 3.0, then i would shoot for the SMP. this is because taking more undergrad classes can bring up your GPA so much. you can calculate it with realistic grades and see if it takes you to above a 3.5 (i doubt it will because you have so many classes under your belt already). if it does, do that, if it doesn't, i suggest the SMP. it is more expensive, but med school is worth it.
 
i agree with you. if the 3.67 is in undergrad courses, and it brings your uGPA up to a 3.0, then i would shoot for the SMP. this is because taking more undergrad classes can bring up your GPA so much. you can calculate it with realistic grades and see if it takes you to above a 3.5 (i doubt it will because you have so many classes under your belt already). if it does, do that, if it doesn't, i suggest the SMP. it is more expensive, but med school is worth it.


I spoke to my Cornell and Hunter advisers. The Cornell adviser recommended I do the SMP, but the Hunter adviser recommends that I stay. My GPA after the single post bacc semester at hunter is only a 2.789, not quite the 3.0 you recommend, but it would take another full year (30 credits) of a straight 4.0 to bring my GPA up to a 3.036. The major downside to the SMP is the cost, and my secondary worry is the workload (but if I can't do the SMP, how could I do med school? might as well give it a shot--on the other hand maybe a year more of post-bacc work will give me more confidence and study skills I could use to succeed in the SMP). I'm confident I can bring my GPA up steadily at Hunter, but that will take forever, and I feel already after 1 semester like I'm spinning my wheels uselessly.

On the other hand, Hunter does have linkage programs to Cornell Weill and Stonybrook.

Thanks for the advice
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spoke to my Cornell and Hunter advisers. The Cornell adviser recommended I do the SMP, but the Hunter adviser recommends that I stay. My GPA after the single post bacc semester at hunter is only a 2.789, not quite the 3.0 you recommend, but it would take another full year (30 credits) of a straight 4.0 to bring my GPA up to a 3.036. The major downside to the SMP is the cost, and my secondary worry is the workload (but if I can't do the SMP, how could I do med school? might as well give it a shot--on the other hand maybe a year more of post-bacc work will give me more confidence and study skills I could use to succeed in the SMP). I'm confident I can bring my GPA up steadily at Hunter, but that will take forever, and I feel already after 1 semester like I'm spinning my wheels uselessly.

Thanks for the advice

I'd recommend the SMP. Obviously, Hunter wants you to stay since you're giving them money. It will take more time and money to do the extra year at Hunter, but if you do pull it up to a 3.0, that would be a good help. At this point, it depends how much of a rush you're in to get into med school. If you know the basic sciences pretty well and know you can handle med school (just need to prove it), I'd say do the SMP.
 
hey all,

so i thought that i might post my stats to see if I could get a little advice...3.2 ugrad/2.9 BCPM/21R MCAT...I am definitely going to retake, but I was wondering whether I should just do a post-bacc at my state school in CA or should I wait and apply with a (hopefully) higher MCAT to SMPs in January? For SMPs, I am considering Drexel IMS, VCU, Georgetown, Tufts, UCinci, Boston, Tulane ACP ( I can't imagine though how I would even be waitlisted at any med school with my stats to apply at Tulane ACP). If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my MDApps, I would appreciate any advice. Is it worth it to pull up my GPA or do you think I could get into Drexel IMS (anyone know the min gpa/mcat)? Thanks for your help!
 
Last edited:
hey all,

so i thought that i might post my stats to see if I could get a little advice...3.2 ugrad/2.9 BCPM/21R MCAT...I am definitely going to retake, but I was wondering whether I should just do a post-bacc at my state school in CA or should I wait and apply with a (hopefully) higher MCAT to SMPs in January? For SMPs, I am considering Drexel IMS, VCU, Georgetown, Tufts, UCinci, Boston, Tulane ACP ( I can't imagine though how I would even be waitlisted at any med school with my stats to apply at Tulane ACP). If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my MDApps, I would appreciate any advice. Is it worth it to pull up my GPA or do you think I could get into Drexel IMS (anyone know the min gpa/mcat)? Thanks for your help!

i believe the min for some is a 3.0 cumulative, and 27-8 mcat. if you are retaking and waiting for SMP anyway, why not do the post bach in the meanwhile to boost up the sciGPA to at least a 3.0. which state school would you be going to? im in CA too and i don't know which ones have a post bach program. thanks!
 
Thanks for the info, it seems that the min cut-off is usually around 27-8

i actually haven't applied to any SMP's (probably a dumb choice) since I think my stats are far too low, and besides it may be too late in the game. I think I have read on SDN that UCLA, UCSD, UCD and UCSF offer post-bacc programs...I think the UCLA one is like 2 years long...but I'm not too sure. I'd probably be doing UCLA since I live in LA.

yeah, i should boost the sci gpa, but it's the horribly LOW mcat that has really swept the rug out from under me. I am trying to find the deadline for applying, but I'm having trouble...
 
Thanks for the info, it seems that the min cut-off is usually around 27-8

i actually haven't applied to any SMP's (probably a dumb choice) since I think my stats are far too low, and besides it may be too late in the game. I think I have read on SDN that UCLA, UCSD, UCD and UCSF offer post-bacc programs...I think the UCLA one is like 2 years long...but I'm not too sure. I'd probably be doing UCLA since I live in LA.

yeah, i should boost the sci gpa, but it's the horribly LOW mcat that has really swept the rug out from under me. I am trying to find the deadline for applying, but I'm having trouble...

I just finished the Drexel IMS program this year. I personally liked the program, but I might be biased cause I was accepted. Others didn't like it for any number of reasons. You need at least a 3.0 cumulative and about a 27-28 on the MCAT do get in. They also have an MSP program that you can look into. It pretty much helps you get your MCAT up, so that might be the thing for you. If you do two years you get a masters in Bio.

I went to UC Davis and I've looked into the post-bach's at the UC's. They're all for disadvantaged applicants, so if you fall into that category then go for it. I found out this year just how important undergrad GPA is so if you can try to get it up. Just make sure you do undergrad science classes and don't do an MPH. I've heard from several people on admissions committees that an MPH will NOT help you that much if your science GPA is weak.