The OFFICIAL INTERVIEW thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Send the PD a box of chocolates and an engagement ring if you want to show ultimate interest in the program.

:)

Already done.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused, b/c don't 2nd looks supposed reiterate your high level of interest in the program? And don't PD want people who want to be there?

At my last interview every interviewer told me that I was interested in the program, that they HIGHLY encouraged me to return for a second look. I was like okay.... should I be reading between the lines here?
I'm sure there is some variation in the way PDs view it, but I think for the most part that isn't the point of 2nd looks. I mean, you applied, you came for an interview and expressed in person your reasons for applying. You hopefully wrote thank you notes (unless you were specifically told not to). You have demonstrated your interest. You can send an email reiterating your interest if it's your top choice closer to rank list time. But PDs aren't psychos - they don't need your firstborn to feel comfortable ranking you to match (actually not only do they not need it, but they don't want it because that's just creepy). I say all of this, of course, as an applicant and not a PD. But I have been a hiring manager, and have some perspective on the other side of this process.

I had some unexpectedly sad family issues that came up so I won't be able to interview anymore.

I had 9 good ones already and I just cancelled a whole bunch of heavy duty name brand program interviews, so I hope a few of you here will get to hear soon from your dream program if it was on my list.

Good luck everyone and I wish you all the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had some unexpectedly sad family issues that came up so I won't be able to interview anymore.

I had 9 good ones already and I just cancelled a whole bunch of heavy duty name brand program interviews, so I hope a few of you here will get to hear soon from your dream program if it was on my list.

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything's will be OK.

Really hate to hear that. Glad you got a good number of interviews in before...

On another note, just got an interview from ECU. Had several dates available: January 7,9,10, 14 and 16. Quite a welcomed surprise!

Sorry mate. Wish you and your family the best.

I guess every PD is a little different. I don't really think a 2nd look is something that should be needed unless you really need more time to show your significant other the area. Back when I was a medical student, I took my wife to my top 2 choices to show her the area because she could not travel during my original interview dates. But I didn't go back and see the PD or staff again.

I find that most people asking about 2nd looks seems to feel pressured to do so. I try to discourage them if possible.

Dude I hope everything is okay. Best of luck with everything.

PM from Anon that Baystate sent email that one spot is avail 1/29. First to respond gets it.

PM from Anon that Baystate sent email that one spot is avail 1/29. First to respond gets it.

Got the reject from Baystate a couple weeks ago. Not bitter at all but I think that's sortof a weird and lame way of handing out an interview.

Got the reject from Baystate a couple weeks ago. Not bitter at all but I think that's sortof a weird and lame way of handing out an interview.

Lol. Didnt apply there but that seems pretty bunk.

Meh. Maybe? I interviewed there a while back and was surprised by how much I liked it. It's not for me, but I wouldn't tell anyone not to take the invite. And Maine Med actually did the same thing - good program.

PM from Anon: Grand Rapids 1/17 (only 1 date choice was given). $100 gift card toward hotel. Dinner night before.

From Anon: Baystate/Tufts. Two spots available on Jan 22. First two emails to reply, get the interview spots.

Anybody have interviews scheduled for February? If so, what programs? Thanks!