The Official January 13, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinipela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me on this day?

112 days left!

Members don't see this ad.

Just took AAMC 5 and got my first 30 (11/9/10). I've been doing physics and general chemistry passages nonstop for the past few days so I'm glad to see improvement in PS. Two questions that I got wrong on PS were based on math errors... My BS score has remained the same however so I'm looking to do more passages from TPRH SW.

Out of curiosity, how is everyone studying for the final stretch? I'm doing TBR/TPRH SW passages for two chapters everyday except for the days when I take an AAMC FL. Does anyone recommend this or something else? Hang in there, everyone!

Glad to see your improvement in PS. A subject I once thought my strength has quickly proved to be my biggest challenge. I also have math errors, but my biggest issue is timing.

As for the final stretch - I am 3 weeks behind a schedule that includes mostly TBR and TPRH SW - but I think the most important thing for me to do now is to focus on my weaknesses. What I can't get through carpet-bombing, I will have to make up in surgical strikes.

I'm going to take it easy the next few days and catch up on reviewing passages, and really understanding why I'm making the mistakes I'm making.

Doing my last AAMC tests this coming weekend and the following weekend. For that last week when I don't have an actual "new" AAMC test, I'll probably retake an old one or do the 2015MCAT test for the heck of it. I'm just trying to do practice every day, but Tis a freakin drag.

Why don't you do tests from other companies?

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to see your improvement in PS. A subject I once thought my strength has quickly proved to be my biggest challenge. I also have math errors, but my biggest issue is timing.

I thought organic chemistry would be my strength but seeing some problems in the AAMC FLs, I have to admit that I'm forgetting some basic organic chemistry. I'm only getting a few wrong but I'm spending more time thinking about organic chemistry questions on FLs than I thought I would.

For timing, I write down:
#13 at 54 minutes
26 at 38
39 at 22
52 at 6

I saw it on reddit. Maybe you've seen it already or not but hope that helps like it helps me.

I am signed up for January 13th.

Why is this thread so much less popular than the other January MCAT threads?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am signed up for January 13th.

Why is this thread so much less popular than the other January MCAT threads?

That's a great question... lol

We kind of have a really sh1tty test date, considering it falls during the first week of spring semester... lol needless to say I won't be attending class tuesday evening after the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else feeling like remembering everything is impossible? The only consolation is that in two weeks we're done!

Worried. took aamc 5 (11/12/7)

physical science is too low. untimed is a 10, timed is a 7 because I run out of time. going to try surgical strikes at material, but I still can't seem to get it right. ugh.

Is anyone else having trouble loading AAMC tests? It seems my internet it fine but I was in the middle of the PS for AAMC 11 and all of a sudden I was answering a bunch of really hard discretes and it turns out the passage was the only thing that hadn't loaded. I tried exiting and restarting the test but it loads incompletely. Any help/advice?

Is anyone else having trouble loading AAMC tests? It seems my internet it fine but I was in the middle of the PS for AAMC 11 and all of a sudden I was answering a bunch of really hard discretes and it turns out the passage was the only thing that hadn't loaded. I tried exiting and restarting the test but it loads incompletely. Any help/advice?
I did AAMC 9 this morning and sometimes I have that issue where it freezes but I just close the window completely and go back to the main page where it says restart test... Sounds like you tried that though.. :/

I did AAMC 9 this morning and sometimes I have that issue where it freezes but I just close the window completely and go back to the main page where it says restart test... Sounds like you tried that though.. :/

Yeah, tried that :/ It's a waste of a good opportunity to recreate testing conditions but looks like I'm just going to have to finish the test later.

Just took AAMC 5 for a 27. 8/10/9

Previously:
AAMC 3 - 8/8/7 (23)
AAMC 4 - 8/10/10 (28)

I'm still weak on PS as you can see no improvement on the 8. Getting TPRSW in mail soon. Need to just hammer out a bunch of passages. I got this 27 after basically not studying for the past few days due to travel and xmas, so optimistic at what I can do with full time practice in the next 2 weeks.

Previously:
AAMC 3 - 8/8/7 (23)
AAMC 4 - 8/10/10 (28)

I'm still weak on PS as you can see no improvement on the 8. Getting TPRSW in mail soon. Need to just hammer out a bunch of passages. I got this 27 after basically not studying for the past few days due to travel and xmas, so optimistic at what I can do with full time practice in the next 2 weeks.

PS has been an issue for me too. I think I'm just going to hit EK 1001 and TPRH Science Workbook really hard over the next couple weeks and hope that can strengthen some of my weaknesses. Solid score after some time off though. Looks like your 23 was an outlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Worried. took aamc 5 (11/12/7)

physical science is too low. untimed is a 10, timed is a 7 because I run out of time. going to try surgical strikes at material, but I still can't seem to get it right. ugh.
I got exactly the same PS score on AAMC 5. Try not to let it discourage you. That was my worst PS by far and it straight up smoked me. All of my others were much better. My others were: AAMC 4: 10, AAMC 5: 7, AAMC 7: 11, AAMC 8: 11. Keep fighting this beast. I literally made a spreadsheet of all of the content categories tested within each section. In each category I set up percentage correct and how many questions asked in each category. That way, I could analyze trends and see holes in my content knowledge. I analyzed AAMC 4-8 and set up an equation that would tell me which content to focus on. Dunno if this will make sense, but it was basically 0.2 points for every 1 question asked in each category (Between AAMC 4-8 I was asked 18 questions total for Solutions Chemistry, giving a score of 3.6). I added that score to the product of: (10 - Fraction percentage of incorrect) (So If I got 70% correct, that would give a score of 3, so That gave me a total score for that category of 6.6. So for each category, I will now study focusing on the highest scores first since they are my worst categories that are tested most. Sorry if that is tl;dr, but either way, fight this beast and slay it.

I got exactly the same PS score on AAMC 5. Try not to let it discourage you. That was my worst PS by far and it straight up smoked me. All of my others were much better. My others were: AAMC 4: 10, AAMC 5: 7, AAMC 7: 11, AAMC 8: 11. Keep fighting this beast. I literally made a spreadsheet of all of the content categories tested within each section. In each category I set up percentage correct and how many questions asked in each category. That way, I could analyze trends and see holes in my content knowledge. I analyzed AAMC 4-8 and set up an equation that would tell me which content to focus on. Dunno if this will make sense, but it was basically 0.2 points for every 1 question asked in each category (Between AAMC 4-8 I was asked 18 questions total for Solutions Chemistry, giving a score of 3.6). I added that score to the product of: (10 - Fraction percentage of incorrect) (So If I got 70% correct, that would give a score of 3, so That gave me a total score for that category of 6.6. So for each category, I will now study focusing on the highest scores first since they are my worst categories that are tested most. Sorry if that is tl;dr, but either way, fight this beast and slay it.
No not at all. I am desperate to find out how others are dealing with PS. I just see the passages and freeze up. And I've finished my content review, but the 1 minute on each question is just like impossible for me. IDk. :(

When are you guys thinking about taking your last FL?

No not at all. I am desperate to find out how others are dealing with PS. I just see the passages and freeze up. And I've finished my content review, but the 1 minute on each question is just like impossible for me. IDk. :(

I'm just doing as many practice passages at this point. PS is about building your intuition and figuring out A) What are they asking for you to look for? and B) What do variables/clues do they give you? It's hard at first, but luckily as you get a little more predisposed to what they're asking for, it does get easier! :)

Finished AAMC 11 and breakdown was 11/11/10. I could live with that on the real thing. Planning to take 10 as my last FL probably 2 or 3 days before the real thing. I'm hoping I'll have more stamina by the time I get to the last section on the real thing.

I try to tackle PS as conceptually as possible first and do any calculations knowing that I expect the answer to be negative, positive, large, small etc.

Any tips for verbal? My score is all over the place. On the AAMC's I've had scores 9,6,9,7. It's so hit or miss. On all the Kaplan's I get 9s. I'm going to do a verbal test pretty much every day until the day before the real thing.

AAMC test 10 is a bad test to take last, in my opinion. That is the AAMC practice test on which I scored the worst, and other people on SDN have agreed that it is harder than average.

If it is the only one you have left, then definitely take it but remember that the score is deflated. AAMC 10 is very harsh, do not be discouraged.

I figured 10 would keep me on my game and thinking AAMC style right before the actual thing, but now I won't take it so harshly. Thanks for the heads up!

As for verbal, what seems to work for me is to think as simply as possible. The more I have to think about why a certain answer might be right, the more likely that answer is to be wrong IMO. I'm not saying it works for everyone but I tend to overthink and make connections that aren't really there, so it works for me.

Here is my highest-yield verbal tip:

Avoid answers that include these words: always, never, all, none.

Those answer choices are usually wrong because, according to the AAMC, "the text said 'the vast majority', but it did not say all." These feel like trick questions to me, because often you have a situation like this:

A. Crap.
B. Crap.
C. Orthopedic surgeons always make more money than mice living in the forest.
D. The black stuff in pencils is metallic lead.

Well, D is incorrect. The black stuff in pencils is carbon, not lead. And the passage said that orthopedic surgeons make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

BUZZ, WRONG!

Explanation: "Wild mice living in the forest make zero money. Some orthopedic surgeons lose money some of the time, so they do not 'always' make more than mice. Although the black stuff in most pencils is carbon, you could theoretically make a pencil using metallic lead. Metallic lead is not really black, and it does not leave a black mark, but answer choice D is the best answer to this question."

Reactions: 2 users

Those answer choices are usually wrong because, according to the AAMC, "the text said 'the vast majority', but it did not say all." These feel like trick questions to me, because often you have a situation like this:

A. Crap.
B. Crap.

Well, D is incorrect. The black stuff in pencils is carbon, not lead. And the passage said that orthopedic surgeons make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

BUZZ, WRONG!

Explanation: "Wild mice living in the forest make zero money. Some orthopedic surgeons lose money some of the time, so they do not 'always' make more than mice. Although the black stuff in most pencils is carbon, you could theoretically make a pencil using metallic lead. Metallic lead is not really black, and it does not leave a black mark, but answer choice D is the best answer to this question."

Haha. I feel you with verbal. I score ok on verbal, the most important thing to do is take a breath, calm yourself and read the passage. Sometimes the always never none tricks do work, but often they don't. When you read a verbal passage, don't use outside knowledge. Even if you know that the birth rates in India have been progressively decreasing for the last 50 years, if you get a passage about Malthus, then you have to ignore your own knowledge. When you read, try to get a main idea of the passage and the arguments the author makes.

On another note, I'm taking AAMC 7 today, what is the best test to rake last, does anyone know?

Feel like I've hit a peak on verbal...initially had a 7 on my AAMC 3, but 10 on AAMC 4 and 5.

On EK101, been getting: 9, 9, 9, 10.

I basically read the questions first, read the passage, take 10-20 seconds to think about the author's feelings and attitude, and answer the questions.

Any tips on how to go past this 10ish plateau?

A. Crap.
B. Crap.

BUZZ, WRONG!

lol! I love this. I totally get what you mean too.

Previously:
AAMC 3 - 8/8/7 (23)
AAMC 4 - 8/10/10 (28)

AAMC FL 7 - 27

8/9/10

Damn the verbal on this exam, was aiming for 10+. BS and PS are right where they have been for the most past. Really need to get that damn TPR SW in the mail already.

I'm actually pleased about 28,27,27 on the past 3 considering I started with a 23 and I'm really aiming DO anyway. Still pushing hard for a 30+ though.

Just took AAmc 7 last night. Did anyone think the PS was easier on this test?

The verbal just frustrates me, I'm not doing badly but I can't seem to improve my score ugh.
And when I read the answer explanations, I'm just like , ugh, I still don't agree.

AAMC FL 7 - 27

8/9/10

Damn the verbal on this exam, was aiming for 10+. BS and PS are right where they have been for the most past. Really need to get that damn TPR SW in the mail already.

I'm actually pleased about 28,27,27 on the past 3 considering I started with a 23 and I'm really aiming DO anyway. Still pushing hard for a 30+ though.
I'm in the same boat dude! Aiming for DO and will be thrilled if I get 9/9/9 on this thing!

AAMC 3 - 27 (7/12/8)
AAMC 4 - 29 (10/10/9)
AAMC 5 - 20 (had a legit panic attack about physics and yet my breakdown was 8/6/6)
AAMC 7 - 26 (8/10/8)
skipped #8 due to time
AAMC 9 - taking it today, will update later.

I'm trying to stay positive but frankly, I'm a bit on edge about my scores. They are so borderline so if anything happens on test day I'm screwed. Oh well, I'm writing it on Jan 13 regardless. Might as well stay calm and NGAF.

UPDATE: I just finished AAMC 9 and got a 9/11/9 for a 29. Praise the lawd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat dude! Aiming for DO and will be thrilled if I get 9/9/9 on this thing!

AAMC 3 - 27 (7/12/8)
AAMC 4 - 29 (10/10/9)
AAMC 5 - 20 (had a legit panic attack about physics and yet my breakdown was 8/6/6)
AAMC 7 - 26 (8/10/8)
skipped #8 due to time

I'm trying to stay positive but frankly, I'm a bit on edge about my scores. They are so borderline so if anything happens on test day I'm screwed. Oh well, I'm writing it on Jan 13 regardless. Might as well stay calm and NGAF.

Congrats on the 29!

Yeah, it's hard to not be obsessed with a 30+ score like everyone on SDN. But still gotta put everything into it to make sure you don't fall below the 27ish range.

My biggest regret is probably not putting in the time required for this exam. I was going to do the SN2ed plan this past summer but had to finish up pre-reqs first so that didn't work....barely got any studying done in Fall semester and Winter break has been kind of a scramble with the holidays and family. Just going to put everything into it these last couple weeks....I no longer am stressed by it...it is what it is!

AAMC 3 - 27 (7/12/8)
AAMC 4 - 29 (10/10/9)
AAMC 7 - 26 (8/10/8)
skipped #8 due to time

I took AAMC #9 this morning too!! I got a 29 as well!! (PS-10, VR-9, BS-10). We got 10 days left!!! Lots of time for fine tuning. :)

Reactions: 1 users
What do you guys do when you start feeling burnt out?

Seems like the closer we get the more I just want to spend the whole day on reddit.

Seems like the closer we get the more I just want to spend the whole day on reddit.

Yeah, burnout is a serious issue.

Take a morning to go out for a run. Take the evening to go out with friends. Get back to grinding the following day.

I was just thinking this yesterday. Took the rest of the day off yesterday and this morning. Did some this afternoon and felt much better. Just take a breather. It'll be over soon!

Just completed AAMC 8....with a 32!???? What the heck?

Breakdown was 10/12/10.

Highest score for PS and VR so far...I felt like crap for all 3 sections on this exam. Seriously, I felt better on AAMC 4,5,7 and got a 28,27,27 there.

Oh well, I'm thrilled. :D

The snow ruined that run idea for me, but I managed to catch a cold anyway. :D

Mavs I feel ya though. Took AAMC 5 today and got 13/9/11. Lowest verbal yet but those PS and BS scores were unexpected compared to tests 7 and 11. Maybe it's the scale or your weakness/strength. I've noticed that I have been getting around the same number of questions right and all my tests but the scaled scores will vary.

I just pulled a 12/9/10 on AAMC 9 ... makes me feel good to finally break 30 after flirting with 9/9/10 and 9/10/9s on AAMC's 7 and 8.
Does anyone have any advice on reviewing tests? I haven't really done it since I've been strapped for time between finishing SN2ed's and working full time.

I just pulled a 12/9/10 on AAMC 9 ... makes me feel good to finally break 30 after flirting with 9/9/10 and 9/10/9s on AAMC's 7 and 8.
Does anyone have any advice on reviewing tests? I haven't really done it since I've been strapped for time between finishing SN2ed's and working full time.
I think I learn more from reviewing FL than anything else. I see that some people on SDN spend an entire day on post gaming their FLs, I usually just take about 1-2 hours.

I have a journal where I write down every mistake on the FLs (for PS and BS) and write the correct solution. Hard to make those mistakes again.

Also, big part of this exam is just having the right feel for it, going back and reviewing things really helps you see where and how they ask certain styles of questions.

I think I learn more from reviewing FL than anything else. I see that some people on SDN spend an entire day on post gaming their FLs, I usually just take about 1-2 hours.

I have a journal where I write down every mistake on the FLs (for PS and BS) and write the correct solution. Hard to make those mistakes again.

Also, big part of this exam is just having the right feel for it, going back and reviewing things really helps you see where and how they ask certain styles of questions.

Thanks for the tip. Do you do any extra review problems in the areas you noticed you struggled on for PS/BS-like discretes? Or do you kinda just hammer concepts?

Also, for verbal how have you been reviewing that? Question type?

Hey guys!
So i took my Mcat in July but had to void my score because the PS section was way too calculation heavy and i couldn't finish it in time. I know during the summer the threads were overflowing with complains about how the real MCAT is very calculation heavy now. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything other wise or anything from the people who took the MCAT in Nov!

I've been doing Gold Standard tests and getting 11 and 12 on the PS section.
Thanks and good luck with all your studying!
T-9 days :)

Hey everyone, finally got around to posting on this thread. What's everyone doing during the last week of studying? Just doing AAMCs?

There are too many things I want to do. I'm trying to complete all the TPRH SW passages while working on all the AAMC SA stuff (I didn't know these SA stuff existed until 2 days ago...). I also am taking AAMC #10 tmr and AAMC #11 two days after 10.

Prioritizing as followed: AAMC 10/11 > Going over all AAMC FL > TPRH SW > AAMC SA

There are too many things I want to do. I'm trying to complete all the TPRH SW passages while working on all the AAMC SA stuff (I didn't know these SA stuff existed until 2 days ago...). I also am taking AAMC #10 tmr and AAMC #11 two days after 10.

Prioritizing as followed: AAMC 10/11 > Going over all AAMC FL > TPRH SW > AAMC SA
Your plan looks solid, but I would switch the priority of TPRH and AAMC SA. I have never done TPRH, but I know the self assessment helped me tremendously as it gave me a huge amount of real AAMC practice problems to work and go over to see what I did wrong.

Last full week guys. I am going over weaknesses with flashcards and EK 1001 all week this week. I am taking GS 10 tomorrow and AAMC 9 on Friday. Friday night I will go over AAMC 9 and Saturday and Sunday I will work on any more glaring weaknesses. All MCAT prep will end for me before noon on Sunday when I will eat alot and drink IPAs and watch the Cowboys' shootout with Green Bay. Monday I will play Destiny and guitar all day, eat a lot of fish and carbs and try to crash out early. Heading into this week, I am very happy with my practice scores except for the outlier (AAMC 5):

AAMC 4: (10,10,12) 32
AAMC 5: (7,9,10) 26
AAMC 7: (11,9,11) 31
AAMC 8: (11,12,10) 33
AAMC 10: (11,9,10) 30
GS 10: ?
AAMC 9: ?

What is everybody else doing this week?

My plans this week?

I am waiting with baited breath for my December 6th scores, which should come out in 28 hours.

Depending on the scores, I will either be crying and studying or cancelling my January 13th seat and trying to move on with my life.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm thinking about buying the SA's to do them on days that I'm not doing AAMC FLs. Specifically the verbal one cause I finished TPRHL Verbal and EK101 already.

Last full week guys. I am going over weaknesses with flashcards and EK 1001 all week this week. I am taking GS 10 tomorrow and AAMC 9 on Friday. Friday night I will go over AAMC 9 and Saturday and Sunday I will work on any more glaring weaknesses. All MCAT prep will end for me before noon on Sunday when I will eat alot and drink IPAs and watch the Cowboys' shootout with Green Bay. Monday I will play Destiny and guitar all day, eat a lot of fish and carbs and try to crash out early. Heading into this week, I am very happy with my practice scores except for the outlier (AAMC 5):

AAMC 4: (10,10,12) 32
AAMC 5: (7,9,10) 26
AAMC 7: (11,9,11) 31
AAMC 8: (11,12,10) 33
AAMC 10: (11,9,10) 30
GS 10: ?
AAMC 9: ?

What is everybody else doing this week?

During the week, I'm gunna be lifting 6-8, working 9-5, studying 7-11, and sleeping 11-6 :) hitting mostly FL review, a FL and TPR SW and verbal diagnostics.
Saturday is gunna be my last FL (morning) which I will review early evening. Sunday is going to be a review day of the weaknesses/unsure concepts. And Monday I'm gunna hit OC and visit my friends before I get a niceeeeee rest and hopefully kill it Tuesday.

P.S. It's cute you think the Cowboys are gunna beat GB ;)

Anyone taken GS-1? I got a 9/9/9 for a total of 27.

I felt the verbal was absolutely ridiculous. Nothing like I have seen on AAMC or EK101. Lots of calculations on PS and BS had some awkward wording I felt. Got my lowest raw scores since AAMC 3 but still a 27, so not all too bad.

Anyway, not too upset with that score...just ticked at how much different/weirder the exam was than the AAMC ones.

History:
AAMC 3 -23
AAMC 4 - 28
AAMC 5 - 27
AAMC 7 - 27
AAMC 8 - 32