The Official June 21, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I know a lot of us were posting on June MCAT'ers unite, but I want to get to know the progress of all of us 6/21'ers in particular. Let's do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 6/21/2014
FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (8/13/10)
Comments: I have no idea what happened with the physical sciences, I was averaging a 10-11 on practice tests. I am very happy with my VR score though! I am just worried how medical schools will look at the change in PS score over my exams. I have already submitted all of my applications!
7/2/13: 10/11/9
6/16/11: 7/8/8

Reactions: 1 user
FL AAMC Average: around 40 (honestly, I only studied for 3 weeks on top of a full-time job, and most of my practice tests were done piecemeal, so this isn't totally accurate)
Post-test expected score: 33-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38
(13/13/12)
Comments: Disappointed I didn't hit 39, but that bio section was brutal. I thought I bombed it.
just out of curiosity.... i know there is no way to really know... but do you think that 13 in verbal was exactly two wrong?

just out of curiosity.... i know there is no way to really know... but do you think that 13 in verbal was exactly two wrong?
I think it might have been. Judging by my past performance in the FL AAMCs, that sounds right, and there were three-ish questions I had to narrow down to guesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what to do either. I scored 9/9/9 for a 27 total. Is it worth applying to MD schools, or should I just stick to DO? My sGPA is 3.8 and overall is 3.7. I'm a bit ambivalent right now as to whether I should take the test again or to stick to my original plan. I've already submitted primaries through both AMCAS and AACOMAS.

Thought please?

Don't worry too much. A 27 isn't a bad score especially with your gpa

41 (12/15/14)
Gonna go die now.

ActiveSelfreliantGrackle.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Test Date: 6/21/14
FL AAMC Average: 30.6 (26-32)
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score: 32 (PS/V/BS) 11/9/12
Comments: I'm very happy with my score. My last AAMC FL matched exactly with the real score, and 32 is more than enough to get accepted to my top school, UAB. I always struggled on verbal making between 7-8, but my last AAMC FL I made my first 9. Very relieved I made a 9 on the real thing! I'm definitely not retaking this beast.
6 weeks before my MCAT, I started studying with TBR books, EC 1001 passages, and Chad's videos. In the first 4 weeks, I read all my review books cover to cover and watched almost every video (Chad is great!). The last 2 weeks, I took all the AAMC FLs under exact testing conditions. It was kinda a shortened version of sn2ed's study plan.

Got the same score and breakdown as you!

FL AAMC Average: 29.5
Post-test expected score: 26-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (10/10/10)
Comments: This reflected the later practice tests I took which were all a 29 or 30, except for one that I took while very distracted and did poorly on. I took aamc 11 the wednesday before the actual test and scored a 31, my highest score. I walked out thinking it wasn't too bad and it was pretty similar to the practice tests (maybe slightly harder). After talking with some friends who took it the same day and hearing how hard they thought it was and how poorly they thought they did I started to second guess my score, but it looks like it was all for nothing! My PS average was an 11, my verbal was a 10 and my BS average was a little over a 9. I wish I had done a little better on verbal and physical but overall I'm very happy with a 30. I am a long shot applicant since I just decided last summer that I wanted to try my chances at getting accepted into medical school so my EC are weak and my GPA is as well (3.4 cumulative and 3.56 science). But I think with this 30 I have a chance Florida State University's medical school (they favor their undergraduates and I am above their average MCAT) and I think my chances for DO schools are pretty reasonable as well. Congrats to everyone who did well and good luck to everyone who has to retake/is taking in the future. Keep your heads up, stay focused and Go Noles!

14/12/11 thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
twins!!!! Same exact breakdown here!

June 21 2014: 14/12/11 = 37
June 5 2014: 09/14/13 = 36
AAMC average: 34-36
Comments: After feeling like I completely bombed it June 5th I retook without knowing my score. Glad I did to make up for PS destruction!! PS was so much easier this time around.....went up 5 points. I find it crazy that my ratios changed so much but my score didn't. Just shows how wildly different the tests are each test date.
On to secondaries! Good luck everyone!!! Hope you're all celebrating!!!! :) :) :)

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 25-34 (Really had no idea.)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (10/11/10)
Comments: Disappointed by my VR score, since I was steadily at 12/13 on my FLs. Very happy that it's balanced, as that only happened on one or two practice tests. Might retake, but I did put my best foot forward and this score doesn't put me out of the running for my dream school, so...

Congrats to everyone who was pleased by what they saw today, and a million best wishes to those who are still embroiled in the process!!

AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 27 =(
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 34 (12/10/12)
Comments: It was such a huge relief to see my score! Followed by happiness! Although I thought I did better on VR than usual-- and it turned out exactly the same as my average. Then again, I also thought I did worse (A LOT WORSE) on BS and PS than usual-- and turned out just around my average again. SO, I have to agree that your practice test scores are really the very best predictor.

I am signed up for the test on 8/7. I haven't decided if I will actually take it, though. Thoughts?

lol hell no to the retake!!

AAMC Average: 25-28
Post-test expected score: 17-20; Struggled in PS, verbal is my worst and I had scored a 3 on my first MCAT, and Bio was a beast.
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 25 (8/8/9)
Comments: Extremely happy I didn't score a 3 again on VR but this score blows my last MCAT out of the water. It's not good but its balanced enough for hopefully a low, low (did I say low?) tier MD (URM-Disadv), DO, or Caribbean.

I have been noticing this trend on other mcat specific date threads as well as this one…all these posters check in when scores get released with 37+ scores but it is like there first or second post on sdn!? Lmao is this for real? Or are people just totally throwing around BS?:confused:

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC Average: 25-28
Post-test expected score: 17-20; Struggled in PS, verbal is my worst and I had scored a 3 on my first MCAT, and Bio was a beast.
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 25 (8/8/9)
Comments:
Extremely happy I didn't score a 3 again on VR but this score blows my last MCAT out of the water. It's not good but its balanced enough for hopefully a low, low (did I say low?) tier MD (URM-Disadv), DO, or Caribbean.

Great job and way to stay positive. How's you GPA? I'm like you - feeling good about DO schools, possibly a low tier MD. I'm not applying Caribbean though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will a 7 in verbal (29: 12/ 7/ 10) kill my chances doing early decision in a state school? The cutoff for the school for ed is 27 composite...no specification on subscores.

I have a 3.7 gpa and the cutoff is 3.5. No real weakness on my application other than the 7 verbal. I did get an 8 in the previous MCAT last yr

Great job and way to stay positive. How's you GPA? I'm like you - feeling good about DO schools, possibly a low tier MD. I'm not applying Caribbean though.
Biochemistry: sGPA: 3.5, cGPA 3.45
Pretty good EC's, letters, clinical and research experience. Why not Caribbean?

Biochemistry: sGPA: 3.5, cGPA 3.45
Pretty good EC's, letters, clinical and research experience. Why not Caribbean?

Probably because he wants to actually practice medicine (i.e. get matched to a residency). Not just have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

I have been noticing this trend on other mcat specific date threads as well as this one…all these posters check in when scores get released with 37+ scores but it is like there first or second post on sdn!? Lmao is this for real? Or are people just totally throwing around BS?:confused:
i think people who did better have more incentive to post than people who did poorly and feel bad about their score

FL AAMC Average: 27-28
Post-test expected score: No clue. Felt that I struggled with what everyone had deemed an easy PS and shaken by both VR and BS
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 27 (7/11/9)
Comments: I am disappointed in a 27, but couldn't expect too much more based on my FL averages. I hope that coupled with a 3.9 GPA and a relatively otherwise good application will be enough for MD (especially my state school, KU). Can't decide if it is worth a retake, mostly to raise PS. Will be considering that over the next week and if I do sit again, it will be in early Sept so it will count for this cycle.

When I first read my score I was crushed. Felt that it didn't really leave me any room for MD schools. Couple hours later, I kept thinking and came around--I don't think its hopeless, just harder. Consulting the following link made me feel better as well. https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2013factstable25-4.pdf

I was a lurker. I created an account and posted so other lurkers could gather more intel like I did. Not sure why this is so shocking to you...

Hope this gives someone some hope. MY GOD IS A GREAT GOD.

Took the MCAT 4/24/14
AAMC FL av: 25
Score: 20 (8/6/6) (P/V/B)
I was depressed and lost out on a great opportunity but my parents and sisters were wonderful and encouraged me. Got my score may 28th, scheduled my june 21st exam on may 29th and started studying. I prayed and studied. Used kaplan on demand studied mon-sun and took the greyhound with my mom (10hr drive) and took the june 21st test. I walked out the june 21st exam depressed and thought I failed.

Took MCAT: 6/21/14
FL average: 29 (was definitely inflated since i repeated some practice stuff and i still remembered some of the passages)
ACTUAL SCORE: 33!!! (11/12/10) (P/V/B)

I am grateful for the gift of GOD. a loving and supportive family can't be bought.

holy. a 13 point jump in under two months? that is insane. congrats!!

AAMC Average: 33 with a few of my lower early tests. Never higher than 35 though.
Post-test expected score: Walking out I thought an even 33 (11,11,11) but as we got closer to score release that number began to drop to where I was certain I scored and 30.
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 36 (11/12/13)
Comments: Apologies for being another first time poster here just throwing out numbers but I have been lurking for awhile now and thought I might as well add in any data/help that I can. Wanted to say first off I am ecstatic with this score. Totally unexpected and feels amazing. Pretty surprised with the breakdown. Typically PS was my strongest section with 12 and 13's and bio was usually my low around 10 or 11. That being said I spent the most time studying bio trying to compensate for this. Think I certainly got a pretty big break on the BS section as I am a chemistry major and really enjoy/ do a lot of orgo, so I found those passages hard,but not unreasonable. Study method I will post in the 30+ tactics thread as well but was pretty much spinach method. Again can't even describe how happy I am with this score. Congrats to everyone that did well and to those who struggled know you can come back and conquer this test.

I find it crazy that my ratios changed so much but my score didn't. Just shows how wildly different the tests are each test date.
This really seems to have been a common occurrence--composition of the score changes while the total remains the same. I think maybe we should consider the possibility that this is one of the ways that AMCAS keep the total score comparable across different dates/years.

41 (12/15/14)
Gonna go die now.
Your petition to die is now granted, but before you do, sign here indicating that you leave me to inherit your VR score, it would complete my super villain dream of having 14/15/15/....:banana:

Last edited:
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31
(8/13/10)
Comments: I have no idea what happened with the physical sciences, I was averaging a 10-11 on practice tests. I am very happy with my VR score though! I am just worried how medical schools will look at the change in PS score over my exams. I have already submitted all of my applications!
7/2/13: 10/11/9
6/16/11: 7/8/8

Congrats on the huge improvement from your initial score! I think that will definitely be highly regarded in your application, and hopefully overshadow the variability in your physical sciences section. I say this because I am in uncannily similar situation in regards to my overall breakdown scores, and have to try and stay positive (10/6/11 --> 9/6/12 --> 13/10/8). I can only hope that med schools see our commitment to getting the highest possible score!

Best of luck!

AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 26-30
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 26 (10/6/10)
Comments: I can't believe I bombed VR like that... its definitely such a shame. I guess the advice here would be to retake it right? I am a URM but I don't want to be pulling that card out. I need to get in this cycle I can't afford to spend another year out of school!
I feel you on the verbal, was averaging a 9 or 10 but got a 7. All I have to say is verbal sucks and your science scores look really good.

Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30
(11/09/10)
Comments: I'm so happy, I screamed. I'm so relieved! I studied for a long time and worked very hard, and even though some luck may have been involved, I'm so glad to be done! And what a great balance! I can now apply to my dream school. I actually semi-cried when I saw it. YAY!!!! :highfive: Congratulations to everyone who got their score! And, for those that didn't, use me as an example. I got a 23 (9/7/7) the first time around. I worked hard and hung in there and I am so happy to see the results! Don't give up!!!
Great jobs Saxs, very few people improve on their mcat retakes, let alone 7 points. You deserve that 30 and I hope that hard work allows you to become a med student.

The main reason I'm not applying Carib is that, as posted above, the chances of getting residency are much lower. My 27 (9/9/9) is really not a bad score in my opinion. Heck, it's both balanced which is nice, and its competitive for DO programs and even maybe a couple MD ones as well. I do find myself thinking that even if I had a 45 MCAT and 4.0 GPA, I would still apply to both DO and MD. That's saying something I think - why would I do that if I didn't already have an interest in the DO approach?

I should also add, my undergrad degree was philosophy; quite a jump from that to medicine, but I think that might actually look good. Especially for D.O.

Having said that, what M.D. programs would you advise I apply to?

Thanks again, and congratulations to everyone on their results - have no regrets :)

Note: I guarantee people with higher scores are more likely to post on this thread than those who were disappointed at their performance. Don't be discouraged.

I have a curious question. What were your scores on AAMC 11 and what was your score on the real test? I want to see just how predictive give or take it is.

The first time I took the test (Aug 2013) and scored a 28, I only took two of the aamc practice tests and my scores we 27 and 29. I didn't take the aamc 11 before my first test, but the two I did take seemed to predict my score despite the low sample size. Also the ps on my first test was crazy hard and I thought I got a 6 on it. It turns out that I got a 9.
This second time around the average of my aamc's was 34-35 with aamc 11 being my exact breakdown.
In this 6/21 test. the bio harder than I was prepared for and I was worrying that at got less that 9, but I ended up with an 11.

Perhaps this is my long winded way of encouraging people waiting for their scores that feel terrible about a certain subsection of a test.

Information like this was helpful when I was waiting for my MCAT score to gauge how I might have done, so here's my practice test scores for any future test takers in my situation:
AAMC 3 (PS/VR/BS) 7/10/8 (25)
AAMC 4- 9/9/10 (28)
AAMC 5- 10/10/7 (27)
AAMC 7- 7/11/8 (26)
AAMC 9- 11/10/8 (29)
AAMC 11- 8/11/9 (28)
Actual Score- 10/11/10 (31)
The best advice I can give is to review intensely what you got incorrect on your practice FL and anything you were iffy on, even if you got it correct. Also the AAMC Self-Assesment was a great tool for me to pin point my weaknesses and try and fix them. This was my third try and the first two were a 24 and 25 so I really needed to do well and I thank God I did. Also I was for sure I did poorly and scored low again after the test, so don't trust post-test feelings! Be calm and perform to the best of your ability, and remember that usually the answer is in the passage.

Reactions: 6 users
Information like this was helpful when I was waiting for my MCAT score to gauge how I might have done, so here's my practice test scores for any future test takers in my situation:
AAMC 4- 9/9/10 (28)
AAMC 5- 10/10/7 (27)
AAMC 7- 7/11/8 (26)
AAMC 9- 11/10/8 (29)
AAMC 11- 8/11/9 (28)
The best advice I can give is to review intensely what you got incorrect on your practice FL and anything you were iffy on, even if you got it correct. Also the AAMC Self-Assesment was a great tool for me to pin point my weaknesses and try and fix them. This was my third try and the first two were a 24 and 25 so I really needed to do well and I thank God I did. Also I was for sure I did poorly and scored low again after the test, so don't trust post-test feelings! Be calm and perform to the best of your ability, and remember that usually the answer is in the passage.

you're the best!!!

AAMC Average: 35.5 with a few of my lower early tests. Never higher than 38 though.
Post-test expected score: I felt okay on Physical (11-13), ehh on Verbal (9-11) and good on Bio (13-15)
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 32 (12/09/11)
Comments: I'm really disappointed in my score :unsure: personally, I expected to be in the mid thirties at least! I'm not sure what happened on test day, I was fine on timing for each section. The really awkward part of my situation is I'm part of a 7 year BS/MD program and I needed a 30 to qualify. Technically I'm in, but I don't feel like I gave it my best shot :shrug: so I'm thinking about a retake...

AAMC Average: 35.5 with a few of my lower early tests. Never higher than 38 though.
Post-test expected score: I felt okay on Physical (11-13), ehh on Verbal (9-11) and good on Bio (13-15)
Comments: I'm really disappointed in my score :unsure: personally, I expected to be in the mid thirties at least! I'm not sure what happened on test day, I was fine on timing for each section. The really awkward part of my situation is I'm part of a 7 year BS/MD program and I needed a 30 to qualify. Technically I'm in, but I don't feel like I gave it my best shot :shrug: so I'm thinking about a retake...
What was your bio avg? Seems strange to b so far off your expectation for that section

you said it yourself, you're in. you did exactly what you needed to do, in fact, even better than you needed to do. please put the hubris aside and be ecstatic you never need to take this test again. you're going to be a doctor! save your energy for step 1 lol

congratulations! you're in! there are lots of things to be done in this world! move on! --telling myself that everyday too :))

AAMC Average: ~28
(24-31)
Post-test expected score: 11/9/11
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 33 (12/11/10)
Comments: i was doing a whole lot worse on aamcs (25-31), probably because i was studying as i took them and a lot of my studying happened after i took them. physics was what i expected to get, verbal was 2 higher than the constant 9 i was getting, bio was the lowest score i ever got. i think that i would have done better in bio without the crazy ochem passages. i was shooting for a 35, but ill settle for my 33.
i wish someone had told me early on that PRACTICE PROBLEMS BOOST YOUR SCORE MOST, not content review. do a lot of timed problems!!!! i did not do this enough.
i don't think i will retake. thank you, everyone on this forum, who helped me survive this awful wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

i'm in the same boat! i'm debating retaking in sept/oct but i'm thinking it might be too late? I was close to submitting my MD app but after I saw my score I've lost hope and decided not to apply. You guys think it's worth a shot??

Last edited:
AAMC 4- 9/9/10 (28)
AAMC 5- 10/10/7 (27)
AAMC 7- 7/11/8 (26)
AAMC 9- 11/10/8 (29)
AAMC 11- 8/11/9 (28)

I too largely hung around the 28/29 mark, never falling below 27 and hitting 30 just once. I've stated on here before my average was a 29.5, but looking over old scores, I see I did the math wrong. My average was actually a 28.5.

I hit a 30 on the actual 6/21 MCAT. I was convinced I performed worse than any practice by a fair margin -4. Goes to show that the scale on the real thing probably is a bit more forgiving than we all assume it to be..

Reactions: 2 users
What was your bio avg? Seems strange to b so far off your expectation for that section

My bio average was around a 14 and I hadn't gotten anything lower than a 13 since I finished content review!

you said it yourself, you're in. you did exactly what you needed to do, in fact, even better than you needed to do. please put the hubris aside and be ecstatic you never need to take this test again. you're going to be a doctor! save your energy for step 1 lol

congratulations! you're in! there are lots of things to be done in this world! move on! --telling myself that everyday too :))

Thanks guys, it's a little upsetting I couldn't perform to my potential but after thinking about it (and looking at my empty bank account) I'll stick with the program and not waste any more money applying elsewhere! I got my secondary app today so I'll write one and relax the rest of the summer :smug:

My bio average was around a 14 and I hadn't gotten anything lower than a 13 since I finished content review!
Thanks guys, it's a little upsetting I couldn't perform to my potential but after thinking about it (and looking at my empty bank account) I'll stick with the program and not waste any more money applying elsewhere! I got my secondary app today so I'll write one and relax the rest of the summer :smug:
Sorry man. I had the same experience with verbal. Even though I still got my AAMC average in terms of total score, but the bitter taste is there. I know how you feel. I hope you find it not too hard to try to make the best use of the current situation. There was one guy with a 2.99 GPA got in a state school last cycle. Granted he has amazing EC, MCAT not sure though. But still, he made a rational decision to apply.

Goes to show that the scale on the real thing probably is a bit more forgiving than we all assume it to be..
Yeah, there were students trying to convince me AAMC real tests are always harder the the
Deciding whether to retake the MCAT. AAMC and Kaplan averages were around 33. Five of the last six of my practice exams before the real thing were 34+. Verbal average was around 10-11 with nothing lower than a 9 since my diagnostic.

Took the MCAT on June 21 and got a 13 (ps) 7 (v) 10 (bio) for a total of 30.

I have a 3.75 c and sgpa from a top 10 school and have around 100 hours clinical volunteering and 1500 hours of research. Great LOR and pretty solid PS. Getting verified within the next day or two.

Im 90% sure I need to retake, just need some advice. Also, if I retake in September, is it too late to continue with my application for this cycle? Do I need to withdraw and apply next cycle? I only applied on AMCAS to one school in case I needed to withdraw to avoid reapplicant status.
Jun 21 exam seems to be hurting everyone in verbal with the exceptions of few. If you retake, chances are you'll get your AAMC FL average. Yes, sep is way too late and 30 is borderline.. Either retake ASAP or withdraw...