You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official June 21, 2014 MCAT thread
Started by Saxappeal1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey, I'll join (although I wasn't part of the June MCAT'ers unite crew). 
I'm a non-trad, finished with coursework, currently working full time (well, more like 3/4 time these days...), so I've been studying for the MCAT for quite awhile due to my schedule. Did a modified SN2 for content review from early February through mid-April, and then have switched to the Spinach Dip 2-month schedule for 4/21-6/21 to get as much practice in as possible. Just took AAMC 3 yesterday and got a 34 (12/12/10). I'm cautiously optimistic at this point--I know that AAMC 3 is notoriously the easiest FL practice test, so I'm still trying to keep my head down and work, work, work!
Happy to have a group to check in with to keep me motivated and focused in the final stretch!

I'm a non-trad, finished with coursework, currently working full time (well, more like 3/4 time these days...), so I've been studying for the MCAT for quite awhile due to my schedule. Did a modified SN2 for content review from early February through mid-April, and then have switched to the Spinach Dip 2-month schedule for 4/21-6/21 to get as much practice in as possible. Just took AAMC 3 yesterday and got a 34 (12/12/10). I'm cautiously optimistic at this point--I know that AAMC 3 is notoriously the easiest FL practice test, so I'm still trying to keep my head down and work, work, work!
Happy to have a group to check in with to keep me motivated and focused in the final stretch!
LOL beats the crap out of my 30 on AAMC 3 (11/10/9)
Ah, no way--30 is a great score for AAMC 3! Sounds like you are well on your way. How are you planning to tackle the next <2 months before the real deal?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1 day content review, 2 days tests, repeat for the next 7 weeks
Same here. I did a cursory content review and now I will just be taking practice tests for the next 7 weeks : /
June 21st here too.
Just took my 3rd FL today. Scores are fluctuating 🙁
Just took my 3rd FL today. Scores are fluctuating 🙁
Wait, UoCfin when did you take?
No! didn't take it last year. I had signed up for about the same date (or was is it June 20th=my birthdate), but i had a heavy course load and therefore didn't do the practice i needed, so i decided to cancel and wait till this year. I have to say i've have once again had a busy year, but this time around not as bad...so i will take another shot at it.
Hey, I've decided not to take the MCAT and I have all my books to sell. I literally have everything you need for SN2ed. All TBR, TPR, EK, 35 different FL's from all the companies, and so much more. Email me at: [email protected]. If you guys wanna buy it. Good luck to all of you!
BACK TO THIS AGAIN!!!
i haven't confirmed...but am looking towards JUNE 21ST.
Content review: CHAD'S VIDEOS
Practice: TPR SWB
FL: Will start around June 1st.
LETS DO THIS!
How are you liking Chad's videos? I was actually lucky enough to go to ASU, where he works, and that guy seriously has a gift for simplifying chemistry topics. I used some of his MCAT-specific videos during my content review, and they also seemed pretty good--definitely did a better job of holding my attention than my TBR books when I was tired or unmotivated to study.
How are you liking Chad's videos? I was actually lucky enough to go to ASU, where he works, and that guy seriously has a gift for simplifying chemistry topics. I used some of his MCAT-specific videos during my content review, and they also seemed pretty good--definitely did a better job of holding my attention than my TBR books when I was tired or unmotivated to study.
POINT BLANK= LOVE THE GUY...LOVE THE VIDEOS...like i have said before...I sat in a 3hr class/lecture (O-Chem)...couldn't understand what in the world was going on; 5 min or less with chad on the same topic...I understand the whole entire topic and then some. Amazing results is all i can say.
@broski123 *+1
Anyone take any tests recently? I took AAMC 5 and got a 28, 10-9-9
Just signed up for 6/21, retaking after getting my scores today. (4/5)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recenty took AAMC 3 and got a 29 11-8-10... hopin to improve verbal and maybe jump my sciences a point or two for a score of 33-35ish... idk if i should be worried because it was my first test and i was so out of it did not think i got a 29 while taking it... at the same time i heard aamc 3 was the easiest and the new tests are way harder... ooh well just gonna do spinach method and BR passages at nightAnyone take any tests recently? I took AAMC 5 and got a 28, 10-9-9
AAMC 3 wasnt so bad. Just took AAMC 9 and got 29 11/10/8. AAMC9 was pretty hard.
soccerdude how did you do on the real thing if you dont mind me asking?
Just took AAMC 4 and got a 33!! 12-11-10...i now know the secret to MCAT verbal for me... COFFEE lol
Hi, can someone explain what we need to know about the 3 portal systems in the circulatory system ( hypophyseal system, hepatic portal system, renal system)-
I know that a portal system is when a capillary bed pools into another capillary bed via veins ( and thus, NOT going through the heart first) . whats the overall functional significance of such a system and is there anything further we need to know about each one?
I know that a portal system is when a capillary bed pools into another capillary bed via veins ( and thus, NOT going through the heart first) . whats the overall functional significance of such a system and is there anything further we need to know about each one?
Basically portal systems allow direct communication between organs. Usually blood vessels go through one capillary bed but in portals they go through two so substances in blood can be exchanged by two organs
ex. small intestine portal to liver allows nutrients to go straight to the liver for processing
ex. small intestine portal to liver allows nutrients to go straight to the liver for processing
D
deleted92121
Rescheduled to June 21 so I will start here.
Using Chad's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem. Also using with Physics but I just finished Physics so it is fresh in my mind.
Biology is MCAT-Review. Remember, biology is like VR now. Know your stuff but be able to decipher a passage.
Practice problems are all TPR SWB 2013 edition
Practice tests start June 1st.
Good luck!
Using Chad's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem. Also using with Physics but I just finished Physics so it is fresh in my mind.
Biology is MCAT-Review. Remember, biology is like VR now. Know your stuff but be able to decipher a passage.
Practice problems are all TPR SWB 2013 edition
Practice tests start June 1st.
Good luck!
nice! what do you think of GS verbal?Just Took Gs 3- 11/10/10 31. Psyched!
I'm saving GS 3 for the end cuz i heard later GSs are insanely hard and GS 3 could be confidence booster in the end.
GS as a whole is really hard uvrsol lol. GS verbal is hard too XD
How are your guys AAMC scores looking so far.. people say the later the number the harder the AAMC but ive been improving
AAMC 3-29 11-8-10
AAMC 4 33 12-11-10
AAMC 5 34 12-9-13
You guys should check out spinach method.
AAMC 3-29 11-8-10
AAMC 4 33 12-11-10
AAMC 5 34 12-9-13
You guys should check out spinach method.
Hello all- most likely pushing from June 5th to this date. Are you guys/gals planning on submitting the AMCAS early or waiting until we get scores in July?
Hello all- most likely pushing from June 5th to this date. Are you guys/gals planning on submitting the AMCAS early or waiting until we get scores in July?
I'm going to submit AMCAS early … It doesn't hurt to get verified while waiting for our scores. If you aren't confident with your performance on the exam and would consider reapplying in the next cycle, then hold off on submitting AMCAS, or just add one school until you get the score back.
...waiting until I get the score, I'm not risking it....
I'm going to submit AMCAS early … It doesn't hurt to get verified while waiting for our scores. If you aren't confident with your performance on the exam and would consider reapplying in the next cycle, then hold off on submitting AMCAS, or just add one school until you get the score back.
Yeah that's what I was planning on doing with the one school, submitting by June 10th.
...waiting until I get the score, I'm not risking it....
You can just add one school until you get the score back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Joining the club.
score last july: 9/9/8
want mid-30s this year
reviewing content with Chad for the next two weeks, combined with EK 1001.
Took a bunch of upper level bio classes since last year so hopefully that pays off
score last july: 9/9/8
want mid-30s this year
reviewing content with Chad for the next two weeks, combined with EK 1001.
Took a bunch of upper level bio classes since last year so hopefully that pays off
Wait a sec... Totally thought I had already posted here. Hi all! Hope your studying is going well.
I've been fluctuating around 30 for the last four tests. Shooting for a 34-36. Do you guys think that's doable in the next 4 (!) weeks?
Also, does anyone know how long these scores will last? I know most schools do 2-3 years, but I know of one that's apparently only accepting them for this cycle, then switching to the 2015 test starting next cycle.
I've been fluctuating around 30 for the last four tests. Shooting for a 34-36. Do you guys think that's doable in the next 4 (!) weeks?
Also, does anyone know how long these scores will last? I know most schools do 2-3 years, but I know of one that's apparently only accepting them for this cycle, then switching to the 2015 test starting next cycle.
Scores should last for 3 years. Med candidate how have your scores been?
med candidate how were you doing on your practice scores before you took the July exam?
Im scoring between 32-35 but my greatest fear is the real deal will by much harder and drop my score by like 5 points :0 loll
Im scoring between 32-35 but my greatest fear is the real deal will by much harder and drop my score by like 5 points :0 loll
I'll start taking practice tests on June 1st as well 😉Rescheduled to June 21 so I will start here.
Using Chad's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem. Also using with Physics but I just finished Physics so it is fresh in my mind.
Biology is MCAT-Review. Remember, biology is like VR now. Know your stuff but be able to decipher a passage.
Practice problems are all TPR SWB 2013 edition
Practice tests start June 1st.
Good luck!
GS as a whole is really hard uvrsol lol. GS verbal is hard too XD
have you done anymore GS FLs? how is it going? man later GS FLs are very hard..
So where do you guys all stand on the whole " earlier AAMCs are easier" I think that isnt necessarily true, my scores have been shooting up since AAMC 3 which is supposedly the easiest one and havent done much but taking tests and reviewing old concepts.
Joining the club guys I took a TPR class and did content review over the semester and Im doing pretty well on AAMCs
AAMC 3 30
AAMC 4 33
AAMC 5 34
AAMC7 35(should be a 37 because computer lagged and dropped my P.S score 2 points)
AAMC 3 30
AAMC 4 33
AAMC 5 34
AAMC7 35(should be a 37 because computer lagged and dropped my P.S score 2 points)
Hey guys 3rd time retaker here. I have all the AAMCs and TPRs, but I want new material to practice with, anyone know where I can find/buy other new practices mcats?
Im sure if you search online youll find some books around a few websites
Ayyy! Just popping my head in here... mostly to vent.
I'm following the 3-month schedule, and I'm a bit behind, which freaks me out because it might mean sacrificing a practice test, which could potentially be what hinders my potential score. I really don't want to postpone at this point, but I also don't want to risk having to retake if my score is unsatisfactory.
I'm doing well in my TBR science passages and my performance in passages from TPR are improving. My AAMC #3 score sucked majorrrr, but I'm going to blame it on psyching myself way too much, because nearly all of my mistakes were due to not paying attention because of my nerves. I rushed through too many easy problems and let the tricky questions consume too much of my time. I'll be taking another tomorrow and I'm hoping that my score will go up just out of familiarity with the format.
I'm following the 3-month schedule, and I'm a bit behind, which freaks me out because it might mean sacrificing a practice test, which could potentially be what hinders my potential score. I really don't want to postpone at this point, but I also don't want to risk having to retake if my score is unsatisfactory.
I'm doing well in my TBR science passages and my performance in passages from TPR are improving. My AAMC #3 score sucked majorrrr, but I'm going to blame it on psyching myself way too much, because nearly all of my mistakes were due to not paying attention because of my nerves. I rushed through too many easy problems and let the tricky questions consume too much of my time. I'll be taking another tomorrow and I'm hoping that my score will go up just out of familiarity with the format.
Hey guys,med candidate how were you doing on your practice scores before you took the July exam?
Im scoring between 32-35 but my greatest fear is the real deal will by much harder and drop my score by like 5 points :0 loll
last year I spent a majority of my time reviewing content and did not get nearly enough practice.
Between now and then, I have taken more upper level bio courses and practiced with 1001 EK for PS. Also I've developed a habit of reading obscure news articles for fun.
I barely reviewed orgo last year bc I ran out of time. Def covering all my blindspots this year
To be well-prepared, I think you need to have familiarity with upper level classes. But know the aamc list cold.
I'm a perfectionist and I tend to get very anxious every time i come across a concept I'm uncomfortable with. As such, It's hard for me to practice without reviewing all the material first. Half way thru chem and orgo tho, hopefully will finish review in the next week.
Took AAMC #3 over spring break for a 10/10/11
Last edited:
being a retaker, my motivation has been at an all time low even tho I should be much more equipped this year.
Happy to be a part of this motivation fest; here's to killing this ish once and for all
Happy to be a part of this motivation fest; here's to killing this ish once and for all
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SaxAppeal do you find most of your mistakes are due to content or silly mistakes? AAMC 7 had quite a few curveballs lol
I decided to skip AAMC 4 and 5 and went straight to # 7. My total score actually jumped 7 points since last time. Quite thrilled.
I made a very dumb mistake and ran out of time to finish the last few discretes in the PS because I assumed the last passage was the end of the section, so I had to randomly click for the last few questions before time ran out. Ugh, I was so mad at myself. Still got a satisfactory score on the section, so I can only imagine what I would've gotten had I spaced out my time better. Oh well.
I made a very dumb mistake and ran out of time to finish the last few discretes in the PS because I assumed the last passage was the end of the section, so I had to randomly click for the last few questions before time ran out. Ugh, I was so mad at myself. Still got a satisfactory score on the section, so I can only imagine what I would've gotten had I spaced out my time better. Oh well.
Hey guys I was wondering how you guys are going about improving verbal
Literally for the last month i scored straight 9s and the occasional 10 and 11. I really want an 11 I think that's reachable but I always manage to miss 11 questions. Whether the passage felt easy or hard. Like dam this thing really is standardized.
Literally for the last month i scored straight 9s and the occasional 10 and 11. I really want an 11 I think that's reachable but I always manage to miss 11 questions. Whether the passage felt easy or hard. Like dam this thing really is standardized.
I'm just doing more verbal passages and trying various strategies to see how they work for me and if I can incorporate them into my own method. I've been doing that whole "read the intro, skim the body, read the conclusion" method and it honestly has improved my score by a lot, but I still feel very frazzled when I have to go back and forth to seek out details from the text, which might be my downfall. I suppose it just means I need to practice more.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E