The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think EK books are to the point, condensed and only on a need to know basis for the test compared to Kaplan books. TPR I heard is 125% more materials than needed.

Yeah, Kaplan seems to go really in depth too. Probably much more than needed. Thanks for the feedback.

Kaplan isn't too in depth. If I rated the major prep I would say TBR > TPR > Kaplan > EK most in depth to most condensed.

I've looked at them all, I agree with broski .... avoid EK unless you really know everything, its just too condensed... TBR can sometimes be just too much info.... I believe the best resource out there is TPR (and use Kaplan for alternative, Kaplan Bio is good)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have EK and TBR. I havent used TBR yet. But I have to say I love the EK books. I like the "to the point" approach on the EK. Telling you what you need to know and what you dont need to know. Explanation are also great. However, I only got the TBR books to use them as practice. I will likely skim over them too but I like the EK books overall. TBR has great practice especially combined with EK 1001 and the 101. So I've been read EK first, then I will read more in detail with TBR. This is all just IMO of course.

I have EK and TBR. I havent used TBR yet. But I have to say I love the EK books. I like the "to the point" approach on the EK. Telling you what you need to know and what you dont need to know. Explanation are also great. However, I only got the TBR books to use them as practice. I will likely skim over them too but I like the EK books overall. TBR has great practice especially combined with EK 1001 and the 101. So I've been read EK first, then I will read more in detail with TBR. This is all just IMO of course.

I think EK is a little too short and to the point in my opinion. I really like the TBR books because they help me to think about the topics more deeply. If you use EK make sure to refer make to the AAMC topic/content list to make sure you're good. There were a few topics that even TBR skipped that was on the content list.

Can someone help me with this question. It says area so I thought the answer was D but it is actually A, so I'm confused. Help please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 108
The answer is A. I think you just over thought it. The word "area" is only referring to the area in graph "A".

Edit: The question is asking what that area in graph "A" between the dot line, is equivalent to in graph "b" doesn't specifically have to be an area in graph "b".

I think EK books are to the point, condensed and only on a need to know basis for the test compared to Kaplan books. TPR I heard is 125% more materials than needed.

I have all of the series. Kaplan is organized really nice, with tabs/bold, key points and mcat important equations easily recognized. I do think Kaplan is a little too basic, when I try TPR or TBR passages I feel like Im missing something. And very few practice questions in the book itself.

EK is CONDENSED, lots of information, but that also goes for the organization. Its paragraph after paragraph of important information just pouring out. For me that does not work well. I need spatial organization for me to actually take in all that info or it just is too frightening. EK also assumes you have a background and will leave on key points (possibly simple ideas) but things I forgot making some of its material hard for me.

For me, TPR is my favorite. It may have more info, but its things that help build my understanding of important concepts, if you already know it well, then you can skip forward. And I actually get through TPR chapters quicker than TBR chapters, which I found very hard to stay focused reading and overly wordy. You can see excerpts on Amazon of TPR on the 'Look Inside' to see if you like it or not. (Gen Chem: http://www.amazon.com/General-Chemistry-Review-Graduate-Preparation/dp/0375427945)

I'll be taking the March 22nd exam as well. I have no work next semester so I'm planning on an intensive, all-day study (or at least until completion).
Good luck everyone

Might be joining you guys instead of the Jan 25th.
Even though I tried to give myself enough time, I underestimated the amount of work to put in Physics since I haven't taken Physics 2, plus being 4 years out of Biology and Gchem and 2 years out of Ochem. I'd say most of my weaknesses are in PS, while BS has been pretty good. I'll take around 2-3 FL's to judge whether I'm ready or not and make my decision there.

Hi everyone! Im signed up for this day as well. I am a retaker (overall 31: 12/7/12) but this time I am working full time, but hoping to get my verbal score up so I will get an acceptance (not just interviews) this time around when I apply :)

Hi everyone! Im signed up for this day as well. I am a retaker (overall 31: 12/7/12) but this time I am working full time, but hoping to get my verbal score up so I will get an acceptance (not just interviews) this time around when I apply :)

you still did pretty well wow! I wish you luck on improving verbal. just wondering, what'd you do to get your sciences so high the first time? I'd love a couple 12's in the sciences haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started the Sn2ed schedule (with a few adjustments of my own).
I'm currently on TBR Gen Chem Chapter 2. About 5 hours into it and I still have 15 pages to go....

I'm currently on TBR Gen Chem Chapter 2. About 5 hours into it and I still have 15 pages to go....

lol oh god that's my biggest fear. I really hope TBR doesn't end up being far too detailed

Done with 1/2 questions for TPRH physics.
These questions are soooooooo easy compared to TBR ones.
But still, they are awesome reviews.

I will try to finish 1/2 for chemistry next week.

Verbal is still my biggest problem. No idea how to tackle this section.

As a person who read TBR books very thoroughly + made his own notes, let me tell you that TBR has so many unnecessary details. Yes. They are pretty helpful for some concepts, but still, you do not even need to know many equations from that book. If you have to know them, they will be found in the passages.

My suggestion is, know all the "Basic" equations that you learned from your physics classes.
UNDERSTAND the concepts of the weird equations you see in the book.

Also, if you are trying to use TBR for bio, dont waste your time.

As a person who read TBR books very thoroughly + made his own notes, let me tell you that TBR has so many unnecessary details. Yes. They are pretty helpful for some concepts, but still, you do not even need to know many equations from that book. If you have to know them, they will be found in the passages.

My suggestion is, know all the "Basic" equations that you learned from your physics classes.
UNDERSTAND the concepts of the weird equations you see in the book.

Also, if you are trying to use TBR for bio, dont waste your time.

Hey brood have you taken any AAMCs yet?

By saying TBR is a bit too-detailed, would you use TPR instead or do you think TBR is still the best resource?

Hey brood have you taken any AAMCs yet?

By saying TBR is a bit too-detailed, would you use TPR instead or do you think TBR is still the best resource?

TBR is pretty good for PS section. But, there are a lot of unnecessary stuff.
TPR is more than good enough for content review, but still do the TBR passages.

What do you folks think about the Sn2ed re-read days? Those are so time-consuming that I would like to change them up.
I've started taking notes so I can just review those and some questions instead of rereading the entire chapters

What do you folks think about the Sn2ed re-read days? Those are so time-consuming that I would like to change them up.
I've started taking notes so I can just review those and some questions instead of rereading the entire chapters

Take CONCISE NOTES when you read for the first time so that you dont have to re-read everything.
I made my own notes on a small notebook.
You do not need to re-read everything. That's stupid.
Just take GOOD notes and go over those.

Im so far behind of where I want to be. But I still can finish my content review by the end of Feb and have almost 4 weeks to just take FLs. I feel like my studying is becoming more and more serious!

Im so far behind of where I want to be. But I still can finish my content review by the end of Feb and have almost 4 weeks to just take FLs. I feel like my studying is becoming more and more serious!

agreed. I sorta anticipated the procrastination in the beginning. but I'm getting on it now!

I just finished reviewing all material. From here on out I will be doing practice questions and exams. I'm feeling very good about everything so far. Hard work is paying off!

I just finished reviewing all material. From here on out I will be doing practice questions and exams. I'm feeling very good about everything so far. Hard work is paying off!
Hey are you following a routine for practicing and what material are you using ?

Hey party goers,
Just wanted to chime in now that I'm pretty confident I'll be taking the March 22 test (or April 6th).
I was scheduled for the Jan 25th test, but I got pretty behind on SN2d's schedule (it's a doozy + December was more play than study). I started studying in mid october and am about 2 weeks from finishing my content review following almost to a T sn2d's schedule (however I replaced EK 1001 with TPRH and I don't listen to his timing advice - I allow for about 8 minutes per passage when taking TBR).

I just took AAMC PT 3 today kind of out of the blue. The studying is getting very monotonous and even though I'm almost done I decided this morning that I needed some mix-up/motivation.
9/10/11
My thoughts:
The passages for the sciences were hands down easier than the passages in the TBR. At the very least shorter, shorter, shorter imo
The questions were, probably as a whole, easier than TBR (which should help those who think they can't score as high as they do on TBR i.e. after having just read all the content), and with regards to biology, they were far and away easier than TBR
I haven't done VR in 2 months because my scores kept fluctuating and there didn't seem to be any clear cut study method (except now to do heavy post-game analysis for PT 3). This VR score of 10 is about on par with my avg.
Ended with about 7 minutes of spare time for review per section.

Hope this helps those who may be stressing a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey party goers,
Just wanted to chime in now that I'm pretty confident I'll be taking the March 22 test (or April 6th).
I was scheduled for the Jan 25th test, but I got pretty behind on SN2d's schedule (it's a doozy + December was more play than study). I started studying in mid october and am about 2 weeks from finishing my content review following almost to a T sn2d's schedule (however I replaced EK 1001 with TPRH and I don't listen to his timing advice - I allow for about 8 minutes per passage when taking TBR).

I just took AAMC PT 3 today kind of out of the blue. The studying is getting very monotonous and even though I'm almost done I decided this morning that I needed some mix-up/motivation.
9/10/11
My thoughts:
The passages for the sciences were hands down easier than the passages in the TBR. At the very least shorter, shorter, shorter imo
The questions were, probably as a whole, easier than TBR (which should help those who think they can't score as high as they do on TBR i.e. after having just read all the content), and with regards to biology, they were far and away easier than TBR
I haven't done VR in 2 months because my scores kept fluctuating and there didn't seem to be any clear cut study method (except now to do heavy post-game analysis for PT 3). This VR score of 10 is about on par with my avg.
Ended with about 7 minutes of spare time for review per section.

Hope this helps those who may be stressing a bit.

THANKS!

Hey are you following a routine for practicing and what material are you using ?

I have a pretty solid routine. I am a Masters student and am currently doing research and TAing a structural biochem course. My routine is this:

1. Get to school everyday at 7:30 m-f
2. Tu/Th I show up to the class I am lecturing at 8am and stay until it ends at 9:20. On M/W/F I start studying at 8am and usually review the latest practice exam I took going over everything. on Tu/Th I do this after lecture at 9:30am. I will do this until about noon everyday.
3. I work in lab for 3-4 hours everyday depending on how much work I need to do.
4. Study again anywhere from 3-7pm or 4-7pm. I continue to review the latest practice exam until it is finished.
5. I spend 2-3 days thoroughly reviewing these exams. I read every question based on subject, not on order. For example, the physical sciences are broken down to physics and chemistry. I will start with physics and look at my percentage correct. I may have gotten 4/5 questions right on the topic of "light and geometrical optics." I will review the passage and the questions again to see where I went right/wrong. If needed I will go back to the books and re-review.
6. When I am finished reviewing the old exams I work on my EK 1001 questions for every subject. I will do every subject in the book but every 4 questions so I am hitting all the topics. For example I will go through general Chemistry questions 1, 5, 9, 14 etc. until I have finished the chapter on which I need the most work in. I determine what I need most work on by reviewing my statistical analysis provided by the AAMC practice exams on e-mcat.com. Each practice exam costs $30.
7. I study about 5-6 hours a day for 5-6 days a week

I use only the EK books and love them. I studied MCAT last year but never took the exam because my scores weren't getting any higher than 34-35. 3 weeks before the exam I was getting low 30's and got discouraged. I studied using Kaplan books the firs time through. They were ok but they definitely provided way more than needed. EK tells you what equations you absolutely need to know for the MCAT and having gone through practice exams I haven't needed an equation they said you wouldn't be required to learn. What also helped me is that I found a small study group here on SDN. I just asked the forums if there were any students in my area that wanted to get together to study and have company. 3 of us study together regularly and we just sit and study with the occasional questions based on topics were learning. It's much more motivating having peers studying for the same thing and it pushes us to stay and work longer. More than what I would have done if alone. I have 2 1/2 months to take the exam and feel pretty good.

I'm also taking the March 22 MCAT. I took a practice test without much studying in early Sept and got a 25 (PS 7, WR 9, BS 9). I'm looking to bump each one a bit, but focusing on physics and gen chem.

I use TBR and EK 1001 Q for reviews and TPRH verbal. Not feeling extremely confident, but hoping. looking to take about 8-10 practice tests along the course of my studying...

How is everyone else looking on their practice tests? Morale? haha. Best of luck to you all.

I'm starting on GS tests , mixed with TBR and AAMCs...(but primarly GS, TBR for now). I'm looking for someone who is also wanting to take p.tests - we can sync together and take the same tests same weeks so we can share notes, chat, failures, improvements.

Ping me if interested

I'm starting on GS tests , mixed with TBR and AAMCs...(but primarly GS, TBR for now). I'm looking for someone who is also wanting to take p.tests - we can sync together and take the same tests same weeks so we can share notes, chat, failures, improvements.

Ping me if interested

What's p.test? I am interested.

Im planning to take self-assessments on 2/2 - 2/3.
What's the "GOOD" avg for self-assessment?

Hey guys, I am joining you all on March 22nd, hopefully we all succeed! I was just wondering how man of you are using different resources to study for the different sections. I originally was going to take the exam Jan 25th with only Kaplan and FL's, but I did not feel ready enough so I pushed it back. Currently, I am done reviewing and just plan to take a bunch of practice passages and questions along with Kaplan practice exams/FL's. This is what I'm doing now:

Physical Sciences: TBR, goal is to do all the questions for Gen Chem (~1000) and Physics (520). I plan to do some everyday.
Biological Sciences: I am pretty well off with this thankfully, but I will still do EK Bio passages from time to time, maybe once a week
Verbal: TPRH, about ~5 passages a day until I finish the practice, then take the 4 practice verbal exams spread out over about a 3 week span

I will also take Kaplan and FL's tests throughout the next 6-7 weeks. I plan to be done with all the above by March and only have FL 9, 10, and 11 going into the month hopefully.

I am a traditional student, I have a regular course load throughout the semester (13 credits) as well as research. I know I can still reasonably get at least 3-4 hours a weekday and a lot more time on weekends.

Are any of you doing something similar? Any suggestions or tips on what to change/approach differently?

Let's keep this thread going and give each other support to get through this thing!

Last edited:
I am currently scheduled for Saturday January 25th but have done poorly on my last couple AAMC full-lengths, particularly AAMC #10. I would like to reschedule for March 22nd, but AAMC won't let me see what dates are still open in my state since it is past the deadline. I can still cancel though by the 21st without a refund.

If possible, could one of you check if there are any open seats for March 22nd in Washington State?

Thank you.

I am currently scheduled for Saturday January 25th but have done poorly on my last couple AAMC full-lengths, particularly AAMC #10. I would like to reschedule for March 22nd, but AAMC won't let me see what dates are still open in my state since it is past the deadline. I can still cancel though by the 21st without a refund.

If possible, could one of you check if there are any open seats for March 22nd in Washington State?

Thank you.

i think someone in your other thread already said that it is too late to reschedule.

just go in, take the exam, and VOID if you felt you screwed up. this way, you are giving yourself a valuable opportunity to see what the real deal is like. absolutely do not cancel and lose your $$$.

I took my first practice test today and scored a 24 (8,7,9). I'm freaking out now and thinking about rescheduling to May while there are still available seats. I originally planned to take the test in March in order to have time to retake the exam if necessary. What do you guys think I should do?

I took my first practice test today and scored a 24 (8,7,9). I'm freaking out now and thinking about rescheduling to May while there are still available seats. I originally planned to take the test in March in order to have time to retake the exam if necessary. What do you guys think I should do?

did you finish your content review prior to this practice test? is the practice test from AAMC?

did you finish your content review prior to this practice test? is the practice test from AAMC?

I'm about half way through with content review and it was a Princeton Review practice exam. I have access to the online exams and it was one of those. I felt like I was guessing my way through most of the test. :(

I'm about half way through with content review and it was a Princeton Review practice exam. I have access to the online exams and it was one of those. I felt like I was guessing my way through most of the test. :(
not to worry then!

first, you are only half way through content reivew, and second, the TPR exams are notoriously difficult.

when i took their course last year, i just stopped doing the online TPR full lengths after a while.

what score are you aiming for?

not to worry then!

first, you are only half way through content reivew, and second, the TPR exams are notoriously difficult.

when i took their course last year, i just stopped doing the online TPR full lengths after a while.

what score are you aiming for?

Thanks for the confidence boost. I really needed it.

I'm aiming for upper 20's/ lower 30's since I'm applying mainly to D.O. schools and the in state M.D. schools. I actually took the course last year too but decided to hold off my application until this cycle. I'm a senior now so I'll be taking a gap year.

I am pretty much done with PS. Got all the concepts down..
I will take SA on 2/5, and then I will move onto taking FLs.

What Fl's are you planning to take? i'm thinking of taking kaplan, TBR and ofcourse AAMC...

I dont really like Kaplan. It's just my personal preference.
I am planning to take TBR and AAMC FLs.

Last edited:
Hey peeps, I have abandoned the January testing thread to humbly join you all in order to help you achieve your goals. I have done this for altruistic reasons.

BS Questions I have for today (get it). Please educate/correct me.

Fatty acids: In terms of oxidation, the oxidation of which gives more energy- saturated or unsaturated fatty acids?

Which lipoproteins are preferred (better for human health)?

B-pleated sheets: Which is more stable- parallel or antiparallel? Discuss the hydrogen bond aspect of it because so far I see they from the same number of intra hydrogen bonds.

Why does glucose favor the ring form over the chain form? Aside from the usual explanation of stability, what is the reason that the ring form is more stable?

I will be posting all my daily questions here, and hope you all benefit from them. Thanx