The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you mean it didn't help you "pig" the right answers?

OMG lmao hell no. It along with practicing getting up at 5am felt like i was getting a full brain lobotomy.

Oh you all are killing me!! I had H1N1 before, not a fun time, I totally understand. Just seems crazy to retake to go up a score. What were your AAMC averages @mrh125?

my average was like 28. I blew some of AAMCs exams way too early though. I got a 29 on AAMCS 11, 30 on AAMCs 10, and 31 on AAMCs 9 though. Getting a 30 was definitely doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I'm the same. Freaking out because I know should be studying but it's hard to go full force when you just don't know your score. I'm exhausted and wish I felt more confident.
I also have a feeling I will get below a 30 even though I never scored below 30 on practice tests. I just did not perform the same way.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I'm the same. Freaking out because I know should be studying but it's hard to go full force when you just don't know your score. I'm exhausted and wish I felt more confident.
I also have a feeling I will get below a 30 even though I never scored below 30 on practice tests. I just did not perform the same way.

Same here!

I got a 31 on AAMC 3 (lowest) and 33-34 (I believe) on the later AAMCs.

man its only been 10days..........20 more days....S***.....time goes so slow..
Better than being put on hold after your interview at medical schools. I've been on hold since October. A month of waiting time is nothing lol.

On the bright side it goes faster your second time around. I'm shocked at how fast time is going by this second time around :p. there's one positive thing about taking it twice.

Last edited:
On the bright side t goes faster your second time around. I'm shocked at how fast time is going by this second time around :p. there's one positive thing about taking it twice.
I concur- this time I'm so relaxed about it. I'm applying no matter my scores this time around so what's the point of worrying? :woot:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So what are you folks planning to buy with your $30 gift cards?

When I took mine the first time last summer, I bought some Blu-ray movies to add to my collection.

I don't plan on studying until i know for sure that i'm retaking. I would lose my mind if i start studying now... And frankly, i don't think my studying time would be very efficient. Use this month as a time to relax and not worry about the MCAT. I'm almost happy that this month is here so that even if i do have to retake, i have some time off to chill. I'm sure we've all put things off (working out, writing personal statement, lab projects, volunteering, etc.) during our MCAT prep time. Take this month as time to get back involved in those activities.

Just my two cents...

When I took mine the first time last summer, I bought some Blu-ray movies to add to my collection.

Sounds like an awesome plan. I'm planning on not getting one because I couldn't sit through the trial section this time. I did the trial section in January and apparently filling things out and quitting in 15 mins wasn't enough of a "good effort" for them :p, damn.

Sounds like an awesome plan. I'm planning on not getting one because I couldn't sit through the trial section this time. I did the trial section in January and apparently filling things out and quitting in 15 mins wasn't enough of a "good effort" for them :p, damn.

Oh wow. Did they specifically tell you that it wasn't good enough, or did you just not get a card? I did the trial section under 5 minutes this time...

Oh wow. Did they specifically tell you that it wasn't good enough, or did you just not get a card? I did the trial section under 5 minutes this time...

I didn't get a card last time. IDK how they count genuine effort though. All I know is the passages were all sorts of horrible and made me glad i'm not taking the mcat in 2015.

I didn't get a card last time. IDK how they count genuine effort though. All I know is the passages were all sorts of horrible and made me glad i'm not taking the mcat in 2015.
Like x500. I took a good 20 minutes on mine just to see what hell future applicants will go through- can't figure out why I didn't get a Psych trial since I was a social science major, but I better get a card for all those acronyms I had to decipher! :D

I see. But if we screw around on the trial section, that's not going to count negatively against us on the real score, right?

I see. But if we screw around on the trial section, that's not going to count negatively against us on the real score, right?

don't worry about it. I told them their trial section was incomprehensible because of all the charts and graphs and that I sincerely hope they never use it for anything and didn't have any issues.

I dunno but I wish I could use it as a down payment on a late-May retake lol.

Had a dream last night about my MCAT.... single digits on all sections. Then i was retaking it with my roommate (who is a business major......) and he was raving about how easy the verbal section was while i wasn't even able to finish it...

howz everybody doing? man, having a tough time waiting....trying to focus on other non-mcat things that i've postponed while doing mcat....once in a while getting very anxious about what is going to happen in 18 days...sigh...

howz everybody doing? man, having a tough time waiting....trying to focus on other non-mcat things that i've postponed while doing mcat....once in a while getting very anxious about what is going to happen in 18 days...sigh...

I am trying to write my personal statement, but I cant start on it.... I've been playing LoL too much...

I have been trying to do other medical school app prep, but in my brain I keep automatically defaulting to "hey hey hey hey is it April 22 yet?" /scumbagbrainIjustwanttobeleftalone

I went to a shooting range today and I wrote "MCAT" on my targets.

Awesome.

suppressed_ar-15.jpg

I need serious help. My kaplan corse ended 3 weeks ago I've taken 4 FLs and a diagnostic since I started studying.

Kaplan diagnostic- PS 5, VR 5, BS 8
Kap 1- PS 6, VR 7, BS 8
Kal 2- PS 7, VR 7, BS 8
AAMC 3- PS 7, VR 6, VS 9
Kap 4- PS 9, VR 7, BS 6

My score is not improving!!!
I study everday
Did intensive content review
Made flashcards
And go over each practice exam question by question. IDK what else to do. Taking exam in mid June

I need serious help. My kaplan corse ended 3 weeks ago I've taken 4 FLs and a diagnostic since I started studying.

Kaplan diagnostic- PS 5, VR 5, BS 8
Kap 1- PS 6, VR 7, BS 8
Kal 2- PS 7, VR 7, BS 8
AAMC 3- PS 7, VR 6, VS 9
Kap 4- PS 9, VR 7, BS 6

My score is not improving!!!
I study everday
Did intensive content review
Made flashcards
And go over each practice exam question by question. IDK what else to do. Taking exam in mid June

I had the same problem as you for some time, and actually just joined the forum so I can comment and try and help you out.
The thing that I did, and it worked for me and another friend of mine, is to take one or two full length tests in their entirety, but not to do them timed. Take it slow, and talking aloud, walk yourself through every step of the question.
For example, if its a physics question, read the question aloud, state the necessary equations, read the part of the passage aloud, and walk yourself through basically every step aloud. This takes a while to do, so be prepared to spend more time on the full lengths ( a normal question should take you a minute, but with this it'll take you longer).
The reason this works is because as your speaking aloud, you have a bit of an out-of-body interpretation of what you are doing, and it lets you more clearly look at the question. With some practice you can eventually talk though each question in your head, and it allows you to have a more analytical approach when answering the question.

If you don't wanna try this on an entire full length, try it (like actually try it, speaking aloud and everything) on a single passage, and you will see the differences. Since you have months to go, the timing (while important) should not bother you as much right now.

Hope this helps

I'm writing a personal statement right now, and this stuff is seriously frustrating. Feels like I'm doing a mandatory mcat writing section and it's hard to make yourself stand out when everyone has similar experiences =/.

Hopefully my mcat results will be good so I won't have to do another mcat on top of this.

don't even wanna write PS since I don't know whether my score is good enough to apply. maybe i should consider other career options for now

don't even wanna write PS since I don't know whether my score is good enough to apply. maybe i should consider other career options for now

Not trying to be harsh, but that means you are not passionate enough to be a doc.
Even if I get rejected during this upcoming cycle, I will try at least two more times.

Not trying to be harsh, but that means you are not passionate enough to be a doc.
Even if I get rejected during this upcoming cycle, I will try at least two more times.
you are actually right somehow. It's actually my 2nd mcat and it will be my last one. I was very passionate before mcat tortured me over and over again. I just want to make myself more comfortable when the time comes.

Brood I wish I could like your comment twice.
I'm the same way. I won't give up I will just keep going, and anywhere that takes me, I will be honored to train under them.

Reactions: 2 users

It's hard to come across as passionate enough on a personal statement after seeing that mostly every premed has written about the same circumstances you have. Most essays have an experience with a dying relative, saving a starving african child, and it's really hard to bring anything unique and fresh to the table. No matter how unique your experiences may seem to you or how much passion you have conveying that in a personal statement is really hard.

you are actually right somehow. It's actually my 2nd mcat and it will be my last one. I was very passionate before mcat tortured me over and over again. I just want to make myself more comfortable when the time comes.

You have to keep trying to find your motivation and passion again if this the field for you. I've gone through the mcat twice, spent three months the first time around being frustrated with all the material you have to know and how little small facts make a huge difference in your score, and got a 29 on the first exam. I still came back no matter how frustrating it is and what really helped me was giving it a break. I'm also on around my 12th draft for the personal statement and have probably scrapped around 15 more. This whole process is extremely difficult and competitive. That's the nature of the beast. I never expected a personal statement to be one the most difficult things I've ever done, but sure enough it is. I'm dealing with it even though it's not exactly fun there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Its just another job if you are not passionate about it, not saying you won't make it. Its just that you won't have as much fun doing it. I know plenty of people with a 36+ MCAT attending top 20 schools for the $$ and the status.

Its just another job if you are not passionate about it, not saying you won't make it. Its just that you won't have as much fun doing it. I know plenty of people with a 36+ MCAT attending top 20 schools for the $$ and the status.

Totally agree with this. "Passion" is an overused and, in my opinion, worthless term people use to justify something they want to do for various reasons. Some people will go through the premed/med school to gain just $ and status. However, only the naturally smart will make it through easily, and they will either regret it later or live unfulfilled lives. The ones who worked hard to get there will be doing it for personal reasons and $ and status. It's naive to think $/status plays an insignificant role.

Totally agree with this. "Passion" is an overused and, in my opinion, worthless term people use to justify something they want to do for various reasons. Some people will go through the premed/med school to gain just $ and status. However, only the naturally smart will make it through easily, and they will either regret it later or live unfulfilled lives. The ones who worked hard to get there will be doing it for personal reasons and $ and status. It's naive to think $/status plays an insignificant role.
The medical school admission process is less rosy than what most people believe. 29mcat + passion + touching story about fighting cancer will get you at most into a state school. 38mcat + fabricated\exagerated EC+ desire for a high paying job will probably land you in a prestigious private med school on the east coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
the positive thinking comes in after we get accepted to medical school.

DUDE, after that its the USMLE, than the Residencies, than the Fellowships, which is basically the next 10 years (give or take) and with that kind of mentality the positive thinking will never come. Thats basically why I'm happy now, I have a month off before I need to start studying again (if I need to take the MCAT again), and I'm gonna use it to do absolutely nothing (important), because if you enjoy wasting time, its not time wasted

I'm writing a personal statement right now, and this stuff is seriously frustrating. Feels like I'm doing a mandatory mcat writing section and it's hard to make yourself stand out when everyone has similar experiences =/.

Hopefully my mcat results will be good so I won't have to do another mcat on top of this.

I don't really consider myself a non-traditional applicant in the sense. During my second year of college I decided I would take time off before going to med school just to really have some exceptional life experiences. I think I've succeeded... :p

Now as for that F*****G MCAT!!!!! :)