You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official May 17, 2014 MCAT Thread
Started by oobie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
8/11/10= 29 total. I was averaging 29-30, but I usually scored in the 9-10 region for PS. That 8 is seriously throwing me off. My gpa is 3.59sGPA/ 3.71cGPA, so not SUPER competitive. Should I retake??
But congrats to those who met/exceeded their expectations!
But congrats to those who met/exceeded their expectations!
AAMC average - 10-11 for verbal, 12-13 for PS, 12-13 for Bio
Actual score - 36
Verbal 11, Physical sciences 11, Biology 14
Close to as expected. I felt physical sciences went very poorly. On all the practice tests I had 15 minutes to spare and I had to guess on about 5 questions on the actual test. I scored a 32R three years ago with 10, 11, 11. Very happy with my score as I wanted to improve verbal and I did better than expected on Bio!
Actual score - 36
Verbal 11, Physical sciences 11, Biology 14
Close to as expected. I felt physical sciences went very poorly. On all the practice tests I had 15 minutes to spare and I had to guess on about 5 questions on the actual test. I scored a 32R three years ago with 10, 11, 11. Very happy with my score as I wanted to improve verbal and I did better than expected on Bio!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Test Date: 5/17/2014
AAMC Average: 28.x(30 on aamc 11)
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: 30
Comments: happy.
AAMC Average: 28.x(30 on aamc 11)
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: 30
Comments: happy.
Test Date: 5/17/2014
AAMC Average: 32-ish
Post-test expected score: no idea
Actual Score: 31. 10VR/ 10PS/11BS
Comments: Not an amazing score, but I'm happy with it. Loads better than the 26 I got on my first try. Verbal score was below my practice average but somehow I did better on the BS which I thought was my worst section.
AAMC Average: 32-ish
Post-test expected score: no idea
Actual Score: 31. 10VR/ 10PS/11BS
Comments: Not an amazing score, but I'm happy with it. Loads better than the 26 I got on my first try. Verbal score was below my practice average but somehow I did better on the BS which I thought was my worst section.
signed up for a retake....way worse then i would ever imagine.
signed up for a retake....way worse then i would ever imagine.
What u get??? gdluck studying!
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: ~32-33
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score: 32
Breakdown: 11 9 12
I have to say this is my second time around and I scored a solid 3 points higher. Hopefully I will never have to take this exam again!!!!!!!! And also srrrrrrsly F#$(#($CK Verbal.
AAMC Average: ~32-33
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score: 32
Breakdown: 11 9 12
I have to say this is my second time around and I scored a solid 3 points higher. Hopefully I will never have to take this exam again!!!!!!!! And also srrrrrrsly F#$(#($CK Verbal.
Good question.. I'm wondering the same thing. I just registered for the July 2nd test and figure I'll be able to work on secondaries right after I take the test.When is the latest to retake if we plan to apply this cycle
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: ~25-29
Post-test expected score: 15 (lol)-30
Actual Score: 29
Breakdown: 10 9 10
Comments: Was really hoping to hit that 30 mark, Verbal shot me in the leg again. PS was really my strong suit but some of those questions threw me off. BS was actually what I feared but I revamped my style and got it to a decent score. I'm done with this now, Thank goodness I can go ahead and sell all these books.
Retake from a 26 with breakdown 11 (wish I had this again) 8 7
AAMC Average: ~25-29
Post-test expected score: 15 (lol)-30
Actual Score: 29
Breakdown: 10 9 10
Comments: Was really hoping to hit that 30 mark, Verbal shot me in the leg again. PS was really my strong suit but some of those questions threw me off. BS was actually what I feared but I revamped my style and got it to a decent score. I'm done with this now, Thank goodness I can go ahead and sell all these books.
Retake from a 26 with breakdown 11 (wish I had this again) 8 7
Last edited:
Lurker on this thread. I didn't post because I wasn't sure how well I would do on this retake. My previous score (6/20/2013) was a 28.
Post test feeling: 35
Actual score: 33 (13 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS) a 5 point increase!!!
Will post a 30+ soon. So happy and relieved! I'm one step closer to becoming a doctor!!!!!!!!
Post test feeling: 35
Actual score: 33 (13 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS) a 5 point increase!!!
Will post a 30+ soon. So happy and relieved! I'm one step closer to becoming a doctor!!!!!!!!

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first actual post.
Test Date: 5/17/2014
AAMC Average: 23
Post-test expected score: 22-24
Actual Score: 28 (10v, 8p, 10b)
It was a lot better than I expected. I want to go DO, so I'm really happy with this score.
Test Date: 5/17/2014
AAMC Average: 23
Post-test expected score: 22-24
Actual Score: 28 (10v, 8p, 10b)
It was a lot better than I expected. I want to go DO, so I'm really happy with this score.
Test Date: 5/17/2014
AAMC Average: 29-30
Post-test expected score: 29-30
Actual Score: 25 (7 PS/8 VR/10BS)
Not sure what happened. I don't know if I should retake or if I'm still competitive for DO schools with 3.76 cGPA/3.89 sGPA.
AAMC Average: 29-30
Post-test expected score: 29-30
Actual Score: 25 (7 PS/8 VR/10BS)
Not sure what happened. I don't know if I should retake or if I'm still competitive for DO schools with 3.76 cGPA/3.89 sGPA.
For those who didn't score what they wanted, just want to let you know that hope is not lost! I scored a few points below my average on my first test even though I thought I did well. Focus on what you don't know and make sure to treat yourself to breaks if you really can't take it anymore, lol.
I thought I was never going to make an sdn account, but I decided to make one just to post on this thread.
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 31.6
Post-test expected score: 31-33
Actual Score: 36
Comments: My highest AAMC practice score was a 33, so I definitely wasn't expecting this! I think it's because I have this problem where I can't concentrate 100% during a practice exam, because I know it's not real. One time I remember I got up 3 times in the middle of a section to go to the bathroom, eat, etc. But anyway I'm very happy with my score!
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 31.6
Post-test expected score: 31-33
Actual Score: 36
Comments: My highest AAMC practice score was a 33, so I definitely wasn't expecting this! I think it's because I have this problem where I can't concentrate 100% during a practice exam, because I know it's not real. One time I remember I got up 3 times in the middle of a section to go to the bathroom, eat, etc. But anyway I'm very happy with my score!
D
DrPibble
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 30 (6 practice AAMCs)
Post-test expected score: anywhere from 24-30; felt terrible about PS
Actual Score: 26
VR/PS/BS: 08/09/09
Comments: Sigh. Took first MCAT in May of 2012 with a breakdown of 09/07/10. Bumped up my PS, which is a surprise since I felt so terrible about that section, and did much worse than I anticipated on VS and BS; I actually felt pretty confident with those two sections and I'm bummed that they each dropped a point from my previous sitting. I'm glad that my retake score didn't drop below my first score at least, and that I didn't get any 7s again. But pretty bummed as I was consistently getting 29-32 on practice exams and know I can do better than a 26. Debating on whether or not to retake in late July. Meh. Have a 3.45 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA...definitely focusing on DO schools.
Congrats to those who are satisfied with their scores. And to everyone who's in a similar situation as me, keep at it!
AAMC Average: 30 (6 practice AAMCs)
Post-test expected score: anywhere from 24-30; felt terrible about PS
Actual Score: 26
VR/PS/BS: 08/09/09
Comments: Sigh. Took first MCAT in May of 2012 with a breakdown of 09/07/10. Bumped up my PS, which is a surprise since I felt so terrible about that section, and did much worse than I anticipated on VS and BS; I actually felt pretty confident with those two sections and I'm bummed that they each dropped a point from my previous sitting. I'm glad that my retake score didn't drop below my first score at least, and that I didn't get any 7s again. But pretty bummed as I was consistently getting 29-32 on practice exams and know I can do better than a 26. Debating on whether or not to retake in late July. Meh. Have a 3.45 cGPA and 3.35 sGPA...definitely focusing on DO schools.
Congrats to those who are satisfied with their scores. And to everyone who's in a similar situation as me, keep at it!
D
DrPibble
Your GPAs are high- I think you have a good shot at DOs if you apply early and have a well-rounded application!Test Date: 5/17/2014
AAMC Average: 29-30
Post-test expected score: 29-30
Actual Score: 25 (7 PS/8 VR/10BS)
Not sure what happened. I don't know if I should retake or if I'm still competitive for DO schools with 3.76 cGPA/3.89 sGPA.
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 33.5
Post-test expected score: 29-32
Actual Score: 35 (14 / 09 / 12)
Comments: Highest score on AAMC was a 35... SO happy that it turned out to be my actual score. A little disappointed on verbal (hovered between 9-10-11 on the AAMC exams) but more than pleased with the sciences. I've been a long-time lurker of SDN, and I created an account just for this thread-- Glad to have gone on this journey with you all.
AAMC Average: 33.5
Post-test expected score: 29-32
Actual Score: 35 (14 / 09 / 12)
Comments: Highest score on AAMC was a 35... SO happy that it turned out to be my actual score. A little disappointed on verbal (hovered between 9-10-11 on the AAMC exams) but more than pleased with the sciences. I've been a long-time lurker of SDN, and I created an account just for this thread-- Glad to have gone on this journey with you all.
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 32-33 (i don't quite remember)
Post-test expected score: 30 (honestly, i didn't know what to expect)
Actual Score: 32 (P 11/ V 07 / B 14)
Comments: This was a retake. My first MCAT was a 29. I really did not know what to expect after I took the May exam. All I hoped for was for my overall score to not drop, so I am very thankful it went up. I definitely do wish I did better in Verbal, for which I did not practice at all during my break between the first and second MCAT. I realize now that it was a big mistake.
To be honest, after my first MCAT, I had a silent mental breakdown. I let noone know of it, but I had difficulty concentrating for the second round. Although I had a good solid four months between my MCATs, I only began to really focus in April, the last month before the exam. Retrospectively, I wish I had more faith in myself so that I could have started studying earlier.
Lastly, I WOULD HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND SOLVING: TPR HYPERLEARNING SCIENCE WORKBOOK the last month before the exam. I found the questions to be very similar to the actual MCAT. Also, it was a great way to review the topics for MCAT and refocus on the topics you may be hazy with.
AAMC Average: 32-33 (i don't quite remember)
Post-test expected score: 30 (honestly, i didn't know what to expect)
Actual Score: 32 (P 11/ V 07 / B 14)
Comments: This was a retake. My first MCAT was a 29. I really did not know what to expect after I took the May exam. All I hoped for was for my overall score to not drop, so I am very thankful it went up. I definitely do wish I did better in Verbal, for which I did not practice at all during my break between the first and second MCAT. I realize now that it was a big mistake.
To be honest, after my first MCAT, I had a silent mental breakdown. I let noone know of it, but I had difficulty concentrating for the second round. Although I had a good solid four months between my MCATs, I only began to really focus in April, the last month before the exam. Retrospectively, I wish I had more faith in myself so that I could have started studying earlier.
Lastly, I WOULD HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND SOLVING: TPR HYPERLEARNING SCIENCE WORKBOOK the last month before the exam. I found the questions to be very similar to the actual MCAT. Also, it was a great way to review the topics for MCAT and refocus on the topics you may be hazy with.
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 27
Post-test expected score: 22
Actual Score: 28 (12, 5, 11)
Comments: This was my retake. Scored a 27 (10, 6, 11) the first time around. I pretty much applied to all DO schools...not sure if I have a shot at all with such a low verbal score. Should I retake? I have tried doing the 1001 exam crackers questions and aamc self assessment verbal questions but all efforts to no avail! Ugh...why is verbal so friggin' difficult...I just am not able to figure out where I am going wrong with it! Anyone have any back up ideas if medical school doesn't work out?
AAMC Average: 27
Post-test expected score: 22
Actual Score: 28 (12, 5, 11)
Comments: This was my retake. Scored a 27 (10, 6, 11) the first time around. I pretty much applied to all DO schools...not sure if I have a shot at all with such a low verbal score. Should I retake? I have tried doing the 1001 exam crackers questions and aamc self assessment verbal questions but all efforts to no avail! Ugh...why is verbal so friggin' difficult...I just am not able to figure out where I am going wrong with it! Anyone have any back up ideas if medical school doesn't work out?
Test date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 29~30
Post test expected score: 28 or 29. Felt really bad about PS but it's normally my strongest section.
Actual score: 27. 8/9/10.
Comments: Felt horrible about PS. Decent about VR. Decent about BS. I focused a lot on the aamc practice exams during prep. Was really disappointed that my test was so calculation heavy and it worked against me considering that was normally my strongest section. Debating on a retake?
cGPA: 3.4 - 3.5 depending on how I do in my summer classes right now since I will be sending updated transcripts.
AAMC Average practice: 29 ~ 30.
LOR: Strong
EC/Volunteering: Very strong, clinical and nonclinical.
Worked throughout undergrad 15-25hrs a week.
Should I retake? I'm in Florida looking to apply both MD and DO with a preference towards lower tier MD schools. I've submitted both AACOMAS and AMCAS. Applied to all instate schools and some out of state with lower MCAT ranges. I'm not really sure if I should retake as I don't know how much a ~29 would do for me when I could do other things outside of studying for the MCAT. I'm scheduled right now for a July 12th retake. Don't know if I should go through with it. Any opinions would be great.
AAMC Average: 29~30
Post test expected score: 28 or 29. Felt really bad about PS but it's normally my strongest section.
Actual score: 27. 8/9/10.
Comments: Felt horrible about PS. Decent about VR. Decent about BS. I focused a lot on the aamc practice exams during prep. Was really disappointed that my test was so calculation heavy and it worked against me considering that was normally my strongest section. Debating on a retake?
cGPA: 3.4 - 3.5 depending on how I do in my summer classes right now since I will be sending updated transcripts.
AAMC Average practice: 29 ~ 30.
LOR: Strong
EC/Volunteering: Very strong, clinical and nonclinical.
Worked throughout undergrad 15-25hrs a week.
Should I retake? I'm in Florida looking to apply both MD and DO with a preference towards lower tier MD schools. I've submitted both AACOMAS and AMCAS. Applied to all instate schools and some out of state with lower MCAT ranges. I'm not really sure if I should retake as I don't know how much a ~29 would do for me when I could do other things outside of studying for the MCAT. I'm scheduled right now for a July 12th retake. Don't know if I should go through with it. Any opinions would be great.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 34-36
Actual Score: 39 ( 12 / 12 / 15)
Comments: I felt this was harder than the practice tests, but it was my second highest score of the 6/7 practice tests I took. I know that I missed one biological sciences questions so I guess it was just a tough section this time around.
AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 34-36
Actual Score: 39 ( 12 / 12 / 15)
Comments: I felt this was harder than the practice tests, but it was my second highest score of the 6/7 practice tests I took. I know that I missed one biological sciences questions so I guess it was just a tough section this time around.
Have you been studying since May 17th? Sciences are relatively easier to improve than verbal. I would say if you have been studying since the last test date, it might worth a try. Worst case is just to void your score.Test date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 29~30
Post test expected score: 28 or 29. Felt really bad about PS but it's normally my strongest section.
Actual score: 27. 8/9/10.
Comments: Felt horrible about PS. Decent about VR. Decent about BS. I focused a lot on the aamc practice exams during prep. Was really disappointed that my test was so calculation heavy and it worked against me considering that was normally my strongest section. Debating on a retake?
cGPA: 3.4 - 3.5 depending on how I do in my summer classes right now since I will be sending updated transcripts.
AAMC Average practice: 29 ~ 30.
LOR: Strong
EC/Volunteering: Very strong, clinical and nonclinical.
Worked throughout undergrad 15-25hrs a week.
Should I retake? I'm in Florida looking to apply both MD and DO with a preference towards lower tier MD schools. I've submitted both AACOMAS and AMCAS. Applied to all instate schools and some out of state with lower MCAT ranges. I'm not really sure if I should retake as I don't know how much a ~29 would do for me when I could do other things outside of studying for the MCAT. I'm scheduled right now for a July 12th retake. Don't know if I should go through with it. Any opinions would be great.
Congrats! 39 is a very good score. How did you study for the test, if you don't mind sharing?Test Date: 5/17/14
AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 34-36
Actual Score: 39 ( 12 / 12 / 15)
Comments: I felt this was harder than the practice tests, but it was my second highest score of the 6/7 practice tests I took. I know that I missed one biological sciences questions so I guess it was just a tough section this time around.
Congrats! 39 is a very good score. How did you study for the test, if you don't mind sharing?
I used Princeton Review's biology book and the Elite 45 book. Didn't really do all that much actual studying though. Took every AMCAS practice MCAT, and that was the biggest benefit. I just last year took physics I & II and I reviewed organic chemistry while my brother took it this year. For verbal reasoning I just made sure to disconnect my own biases and it became a lot easier. It was so comprehensive and I spent so many random 15 minute intervals looking things up, it's hard to really provide a thorough outline.
Signed up for retake on September 18. Maybe a 1 pm test time will help me out. For anyone that has retaken or will retake what is your strategy for the second time around? Just focus on weak areas and more practice tests?
I retook once and improved by 5 points (28 to 33). This was after one year. Which practice tests have you been using? Do you have an idea why you might not have scored as high as you wanted on the actual test?
You can take a look at my 30+ MCAT post. Hopefully it helps!
I retook once and improved by 5 points (28 to 33). This was after one year. Which practice tests have you been using? Do you have an idea why you might not have scored as high as you wanted on the actual test?
You can take a look at my 30+ MCAT post. Hopefully it helps!
Nice! I probably didn't do enough practice tests, so that may have hurt me. I took AAMC 3 CBT, GS-1 CBT, a EK practice test that came with my content review set, and I took AAMC 7-9 but those were downloaded from a certain site so they were the full, full lengths and I had to fill in my answers on a bubble sheet, so I don't know how much those helped. I'm definitely going to be buying all the AAMC CBTs this time around. I also probably didn't spend enough time on physics as I should have, as that was my lowest section. I'll definitely take a look at your 30+ post too. Thanks!
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E