The Official May 22, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramatrauma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Test Date: 5/22/14
FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 29-31 ( I really had no idea what to expect)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 33 10/11/12
Comments: I am so happy to be finished with this beast. After I finished content review, I took aamc 7-11 in the last couple weeks before the test, averaging 33, which ended up being my real score! I will DEFINITELY not be retaking!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the link! I've never seen this site before, but it seems concise and helpful. Ok, I'll try to do more online Kaplan material for PS. I've done a good amount and have taken several practice tests, but I guess I need to do more. Thanks!

I found that site during my final week crunch. I think it absolutely helped me because it is so distilled

And Congratulations to all of you! The scores have been awesome so far!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: Had no idea what to expect, thought PS was killer but imagined the curve would be easier.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (9/10/10)
Comments: Kind of beside myself right now, extremely disappointed. Last 3 AAMC's were 34 or above so a 29 is very surprising. 4.0 GPA, thoughts on my MD chances guys?

Post-test expected score: Had no idea what to expect, thought PS was killer but imagined the curve would be easier.
Comments: Kind of beside myself right now, extremely disappointed. Last 3 AAMC's were 34 or above so a 29 is very surprising. 4.0 GPA, thoughts on my MD chances guys?

don't be discouraged, unfortunately this happens everytime to some people and it's just the nature of the MCAT ... don't give a damn about it man, your AAMC avg was higher, I would personally submit apps but retake as soon as possible, but discuss this with others.... but make sure you don't let this bring you down cause I have seen so many people scoring lower than their avges like this and unfortunately as I said it's due to the nature of this test

29 is still a good score, especially with a 4.0 GPA. If you have some solid ECs and volunteering/shadowing experience, I'd say your chances of getting into an MD program are excellent, and better than mine (3.2 GPA, 32 MCAT).

My AAMC average was 31 before taking my first MCAT, and I scored a 28, so I was extremely sad. I think it was due to high test anxiety. I got a 33 a year later.
Think hard about what went wrong the days before and the day of the test. Were you really anxious like me? Did you get a good night's rest the few days before the test? You know you can score a lot better next time. If you're confident and have the time to study again, go ahead and apply this cycle. With a 29, your chances are low for MD but if you have excellent ECs and personal statement, you should get interview invites. I think you'll have a good chance of getting near your current AAMC averages as well. Good luck!

FL AAMC Average: 30-33
Post-test expected score: At least 28 (8/10/10). Never got below a 10 in physics, but I ran out of time. Thought verbal was a joke...guess not.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 26 (8/8/10)
Comments: Signed up for next week... at least I continued studying this month. My goal is to control my nerves.

FL AAMC Average: 30-33
Post-test expected score: At least
28 (8/10/10). Never got below a 10 in physics, but I ran out of time. Thought verbal was a joke...guess not.
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 26 (8/8/10)
Comments: Signed up for next week... at least I continued studying this month. My goal is to control my nerves.

Same thing I said a few minutes ago to someone else, please don't let this discourage you, unfortunately every test date some people get way below what they truly deserve and unfortunately you are one of them this time, it is just because of the nature of the MCAT not you! It's sad but there is nothing we can do! I'm happy that you signed up for a retake next week, I'm sure you will do great man, just forget your current score and just go in and killllll it ! Good luck

AHHHHHH so exciting!
FL AAMC Average:
31-32
Post-test expected score: 26-29
Actual Score: (10/10/12)
Comments:
I thought I absolutely butchered BS just because I nearly blindly guessed on the two orgo passages due to handling my timing very clumsily. I honestly don't remember anything about PS except feeling horribly after finishing it. Also, I though I totally aced VR, but just got a 10. During my practice exams through both AAMC and Kaplan, my lowest VR score was 10 and my highest was 15. The actual MCAT was the first time I broke 10 on PS. BS was exactly my practice average.
I guess the only thing I can say is that the AAMC practice averages are right on with the actual no matter how horribly you feel after the real deal.

Good luck to all those who haven't checked their scores. And to those who are still waiting or those who are still studying!

Ahh but my AAMC average was so different. I next got below a 10 in physics and I have no clue how I got an 8 in verbal. I literally finished with 10 minutes left in VR. Are rescores possible?

Ahh but my AAMC average was so different. I next got below a 10 in physics and I have no clue how I got an 8 in verbal. I literally finished with 10 minutes left in VR. Are rescores possible?

possible but haven't heard about any happy ending stories

totally relieved, I was worried I would have to retake. was averaging ~32-34 on AAMC but I had to guess on an entire passage that I accidentally skipped (noticed with ~30 seconds left)... :( also got murdered on OCHEM... but my score was OK somehow. I'll take it!

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the curve on it must have been BRUTAL... like I was pretty sure on almost all of them... but I didn't score that amazing on verbal somehow

my advice: don't stress, apply broadly (and DO if that suits your fancy). You will get in somewhere!

FL AAMC Average:
Post-test expected score: 25
Actual Score: 27 (9/9/9)
Comments: I am extremely excited!! I voided my first score so this is an obvious improvement. I've come a long way with this test. Nearly gave up after my first attempt. I'm applying DO, not sure if I'll retake. I thought the verbal passages were easier to understand but had harder questions. Physical sciences had more calculations than I was expecting. Biological sciences was rough. Really tough orgo passage and those experimental bio passages always get me.

FL AAMC Average:
~31
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: 34 (PS 10/ V 12 / BS 12)
Comments: Can't complain. Leaving the test, felt better about PS and worse (way worse) about BS. Verbal pretty much as expected.

FL AAMC Average:
~35
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: 35 (PS 13/ V 9/ BS 13)
Comments: Honestly I am happy about my score, but my verbal score is scaring me!!! Readings other posts that unbalance scores are frowned upon, I am thinking about retaking to improve the verbal score. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

FL AAMC Average:
~35
Comments: Honestly I am happy about my score, but my verbal score is scaring me!!! Readings other posts that unbalance scores are frowned upon, I am thinking about retaking to improve the verbal score. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Through reading other posts, the 9 in VR won't hurt you, especially since you got 13's in PS and BS. 9 VR is actually quite common. Source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/florida-medical-schools.1057042/#post-14942854

FL AAMC Average:
~35

I think that retaking a 35 would look worse than getting a 9.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: I only took 3 of them (27 on #3 last August then 30 on #4, and 31 on #11. I took those last two the week before the test.) That averages to 29.
Post-test expected score: No idea. Realistically I figured anywhere from 27-33. Was hoping for the higher end.
Actual Score: 29 (PS 9/ V 9/ BS 11)
Comments: I can't complain about this, but I really thought I would do better. Didn't feel great after the test, though. I studied all last summer doing the SN2ed and planned to take it last September, but I took my first practice test a month before and got a 27, so I cancelled to get a partial refund. I meant to study all year, but it was much busier than expected. I got about a week and a half of real studying, but with the two decent practice scores going into it, I felt I could get a 30+. My coursework this year was a good review (P Chem, Micro, Biochem, Cell & Molec, Gross Anatomy among others). I plan on retaking August 2nd and am applying MD this cycle as a resident of Maryland. Is August 2nd too late for a retake this cycle? I'd prefer not to take a gap year.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 30
Actual Score: 32 ( 10 PS /11 V /11 BS)
Comments: Extremely excited about this score. I took the Kaplan class and used only their materials and couldn't have done it without that. I set out at the end of January with the goal for a 32 and it feels so good to get exactly that. My first full length on March 1st I made a 23, so I am more than happy with where I ended up at.

Congrats to all of you that got the scores that you wanted and for those of you that didnt, never give up!!

Reactions: 2 users
I think the curve on it must have been BRUTAL... like I was pretty sure on almost all of them... but I didn't score that amazing on verbal somehow

my advice: don't stress, apply broadly (and DO if that suits your fancy). You will get in somewhere!

I studied all month in case this happened. Didn't study wonderfully well, but theres literally nothing left I can do to prepare. Is it stupid to retake next week? It seems like it was just a bad day for me since I usually do much better.

I got the same exact score. I was bummed out about the verbal too, but just know that retaking a 35 would look worse than getting a 9.

I scored 38+ on all of the FL tests and then got (34) 14/9/11 on this one, so I'm in a similar boat... I thought I did the best on the VR section too, haha. But, I've been scouring everything I can find since the scores came out and I haven't found anything that shows that a VR9 is particularly devastating.........or, at least I hope it isn't.

FL AAMC Average: 36 (33-38)
Post-test expected score: 30-34
Actual Score: 36 (12 PS /11 V /13 BS)
Comments: Cried driving home from the testing center and bought a set of new practice books the next day. Pleasantly surprised with my score. Ran out of time and pseudo-blindly guessed on one passage in verbal, so I could've done a bit better there. Thought I did worse in bio though, since I mostly guessed on that awful orgo passage. I am very happy and so grateful to be done with this test!!

Also, for what it's worth, I've been told that retaking a 35+ is a sign of "mental instability" from a couple of advisors/counselors. Take it with a grain of salt though, because opinions probably vary!

wow!! congrats!!! so much !!! lol

I'm guessing every wrong answer in verbal knocked you down a point. I thought I aced Verbal--like maybe one or two wrong MAX--and ended up with a 10. Such is life!

It could also be that certain questions were weighed more heavily, so getting the wrong one incorrect might've dropped you by two points?

I'm guessing every wrong answer in verbal knocked you down a point. I thought I aced Verbal--like maybe one or two wrong MAX--and ended up with a 10. Such is life!

It could also be that certain questions were weighed more heavily, so getting the wrong one incorrect might've dropped you by two points?

I have to agree! Got 11 verbal, tying for my lowest ever in what is always my strongest category (13/14s on full-lengths). Bummed but don't feel like it merits a re-take and gambling on PS. (Scored 33 overall, with 11s across the board - I should go to Vegas and gamble on something else ... Slots!)

Congrats everyone on your scores!!

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average:
Post-test expected score: 37+
Actual Score: 36 (12PS /11 V /13 BS)
Comments: Honestly I was a bit disappointed with my score but that slowly faded with a few glasses of wine. I never got lower than a 14 for PS on any of my practice exams and was expecting a bit higher score on the real deal. All in all, I think the reason I goofed is because I began running out of time at the end of both PS and BS, which was an unusual feeling and it probably lead me to make dumb mistakes. I am happy with my score now though. Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average:
never took any
Actual Score: 34 (12PS/11 V/ 11BS)
Comments:
I'm glad I was able to pump out a 34 this time around. I really needed to improve my score after scoring a 28 last summer.

I ended up with a 32 (11/9/12). While a 32 is by no means bad, I, like some other folks here, am a bit worried about my VR score. Does anyone else see a major issue with my score? Would anyone recommend taking the test again? I have a 3.92 GPA and around 3.8-3.9 in science.

I ended up with a 32 (11/9/12). While a 32 is by no means bad, I, like some other folks here, am a bit worried about my VR score. Does anyone else see a major issue with my score? Would anyone recommend taking the test again? I have a 3.92 GPA and around 3.8-3.9 in science.

I personally think your score is great, with your GPA you will most definitely be fine, no need to go through this hell again

FL AAMC Average: Around a 34 (Will explain Below)

Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score: 29 (10/7/12)
Comments: Well I avoided going on looking at my score last night cause I was a work and figured if things didn't go well I would be tossing and turning all night. Ended up checking it after the gym this morning and am pretty disappointed. Long story short, I took the MCAT two years ago and was just not totally sold on becoming a physician, didn't have my head on straight and thought I was gonna live a fairy tale and play some semi-professional hockey after college. I ended up studying for part of the summer, but never really knew how to study and ended up with a 20 (7/6/7/). Was a pretty damn humbling experience. Then I ended up getting injured before training camp from a career ending concussion and it took me a while to get back to normal life (Roughly 3 months) and really find what my purpose of life was going to be. The concussion was the best thing that ever happened to me and really lead me to this career choice. Did some shadowing/ soul searching and realized I wanted to become a physician. Ended up studying all last summer but cancelled my test date due to tremendous anxiety and insomnia. Ended up taking a Cardio/Pulmonary physio course in the fall and got certified as a cna (which I am currently doing as work) and saw a sports phycologist, who helped me deal with my anxiety and taught me how to study with a set schedule. With my new and effective study habits (Modified SN2Ed plan) I planned on taking the 3/22/14 test date, but during the test my computer froze during verbal which really rattled me. Somehow finished but with no confidence. Then the proctor forgot to wand me after my break and ended up taking me out of the BS section while I had already started with the timer going to re-wand me and then send me back in. I ended up voiding that exam and signed up for this one. Going into that march test date my AAMC average was a 31 and the lowest I ever scored on verbal was a 9. So gearing up for this test date I did the BR exams and re did the later AAMC's which seemed to be the most indicative. Was scoring in the mid 30's this time around and felt pretty confident that I could score pretty well this time around since my March test date I was averaging 31 (30-32) from the last 5 aamc's. So yeah, right now I am pretty bummed. Took me ten minutes to get over it and realize that my only thing keeping me from a solid score is verbal. I used all the sources that everyone talks about, EK, TPRHL verbal and the AAMC's FL's. I still have the AAMC Self Assesment for verbal left as my only valuable uninflated resource. Otherwise I was just gonna start reading everything I can get my hands on. I am not applying till next year and am going to do a Master's in Physiology starting in the fall to help with my mediocre undergrad gpa (3.2) and to get some valuable research experience, and LOR's that would actually mean something. Anyways, I just wanted to vent on here cause none of my friends are going down my path, or are in any type of professional school and I would really value any of your insight.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

FL AAMC Average: Around a 37-38
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score: 34 (14PS / 8VR / 12BS)

Hi guys. So I know that isn't the official MCAT retake thread but I posted there as well and no responses to my situation yet. Again I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong spot but I need some advice.

GPA: 3.94 overall and a bit lower for BCPM (maybe like 3.9) I haven't checked BCPM GPA since I think it's pretty close to the overall GPA.

Anyway as many people said, the VR really shocked me. I walked out honestly worried about the BS (thought I bombed it tbh) and not worried at all about the PS or VR. I know the overall score isn't bad (and isn't great either) but the 8VR is the scary part... The "lopsidedness" of the score is what I'm worried about, especially since I never did worse than a 10VR on any of my practice tests. Should I even consider retaking?

Thanks in advance.

FL AAMC Average: Around a 37-38
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score: 34 (14PS / 8VR / 12BS)

Hi guys. So I know that isn't the official MCAT retake thread but I posted there as well and no responses to my situation yet. Again I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong spot but I need some advice.

GPA: 3.94 overall and a bit lower for BCPM (maybe like 3.9) I haven't checked BCPM GPA since I think it's pretty close to the overall GPA.

Anyway as many people said, the VR really shocked me. I walked out honestly worried about the BS (thought I bombed it tbh) and not worried at all about the PS or VR. I know the overall score isn't bad (and isn't great either) but the 8VR is the scary part... The "lopsidedness" of the score is what I'm worried about, especially since I never did worse than a 10VR on any of my practice tests. Should I even consider retaking?

Thanks in advance.

Do you think you can score a 34 again with a 10 in VR? Retaking a 34 is very risky, I would say sign up for another one and void if you don't think you can get 34-35 with a 10 in VR.... otherwise a 34 with a high GPA should suffice though I agree with your point regarding VR...

FL AAMC Average: 33-34
Actual Score:27(10/7/10)

So this test score really took a blow to my confidence since this is my 2nd time taking the exam and I trusted myself to work extremely hard. I still find it a bit unbelievable and surreal that I scored so low. I am now reading that the verbal curve was tough but I even trusted my bs and ps scores to keep my score up. This is my 2nd time taking the exam with the first being on 9/13/13 where I scored a 29(9/10/10). Having handled verbal to a 10 earlier and studying my butt off I sent in a request for rescore just for some peace of mind that there could have been a mistake. However I scoured the internet looking for people who have done this in the new test era and have seen no evidence of a rescore that actually identified an error so I don't put too much hope in that.

I was aiming for DO schools but now am unsure. Perhaps this is a sign to look into a different career path? I'm starting a post bacc program in berkeley this fall so I have time if I still want to retake once more before applying next year. What would you guys do in my situation? I understand it reflects really poorly that my score went down from my previous effort and I honestly have no idea how that could have happened when I was averaging much higher than I even did last year before my exam.

FL AAMC Average: 33-34
Actual Score:27(10/7/10)

So this test score really took a blow to my confidence since this is my 2nd time taking the exam and I trusted myself to work extremely hard. I still find it a bit unbelievable and surreal that I scored so low. I am now reading that the verbal curve was tough but I even trusted my bs and ps scores to keep my score up. This is my 2nd time taking the exam with the first being on 9/13/13 where I scored a 29(9/10/10). Having handled verbal to a 10 earlier and studying my butt off I sent in a request for rescore just for some peace of mind that there could have been a mistake. However I scoured the internet looking for people who have done this in the new test era and have seen no evidence of a rescore that actually identified an error so I don't put too much hope in that.

I was aiming for DO schools but now am unsure. Perhaps this is a sign to look into a different career path? I'm starting a post bacc program in berkeley this fall so I have time if I still want to retake once more before applying next year. What would you guys do in my situation? I understand it reflects really poorly that my score went down from my previous effort and I honestly have no idea how that could have happened when I was averaging much higher than I even did last year before my exam.

No way, stay with the path Luke! It really sucks that happened to you (considering your averages) , but I think if you are aiming for DO you still have a really solid shot. Don't be deterred!

FL AAMC Average: 42
Post-test expected score: 39-43
Actual Score:
41 (PS 14/ VR 14/ BS 13)
Comments:
Immediately after the exam, I knew I had missed 2 bio FSQs. Aside from those two, my post-exam impressions were about the same as for my practice AAMCs. I'm very happy to have a score starting with a 4. Got 88% on the biochem trial section.

Exam preparation: used TPR for PS and BS, nothing really for VR since I had scored highly on a TPR diagnostic thingy (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I had a very strong understanding of PS and BS concepts prior to reviewing for the MCAT, and I think that's responsible for my performance.

Reactions: 3 users
I posted this in another thread, but I'm wondering whether any of you guys have also noticed this (for those who have already submitted their primary). My application (both the pdf version and online) still shows "Addl 2014 MCAT Intent Date: 05/22/2014"

Obviously anyone can easily see that this refers to the MCAT whose scores are available, but I'm worried whether some computer program (or someone just looking if the application lists upcoming dates) will mark my secondary as incomplete just because it still says I have an MCAT Intent Date?

That's interesting, I checked the pdf of my amcas on the 24th and it was already updated with my scores. Since the date is in may I would think adcom would recognize that scores are out, but maybe call to make sure it gets updated!

FL AAMC Average: 30
Actual Score: 32 ( 10 PS /11 V /11 BS)
Comments: Extremely excited about this score. I took the Kaplan class and used only their materials and couldn't have done it without that. I set out at the end of January with the goal for a 32 and it feels so good to get exactly that. My first full length on March 1st I made a 23, so I am more than happy with where I ended up at.

Congrats to all of you that got the scores that you wanted and for those of you that didnt, never give up!!

I used Kaplan also and completely agree! I took this exam and got a 30 (10/10/10) Congrats on your score, PS I am also a Razorback fan! WPS

That's interesting, I checked the pdf of my amcas on the 24th and it was already updated with my scores. Since the date is in may I would think adcom would recognize that scores are out, but maybe call to make sure it gets updated!

Yes, my scores are there, but right beneath them it says I have an Additional Intent Date (listing the date as 5/22/2014)

Yes, my scores are there, but right beneath them it says I have an Additional Intent Date (listing the date as 5/22/2014)

Oh you're right, I still have that too! I would like to think that our apps will be reviewed even though we have that additional intent date...but who knows if a computer program would catch that. Ugh, I thought I was done worrying about this test!

Oh you're right, I still have that too! I would like to think that our apps will be reviewed even though we have that additional intent date...but who knows if a computer program would catch that. Ugh, I thought I was done worrying about this test!

Haha I know, my thoughts exactly. I will call AAMC either today or tomorrow and post if I get any info about this.

Okay, I called them, and it ends up being an easy fix (I feel silly for not figuring it out sooner). You can go into the "standardized tests" tab of your application, click the "MCAT Test Date" link on the right side, and when it asks if you have an upcoming date simply say "no" (Assuming you aren't going to retake the MCAT). Hope that helps!

Okay, I called them, and it ends up being an easy fix (I feel silly for not figuring it out sooner). You can go into the "standardized tests" tab of your application, click the "MCAT Test Date" link on the right side, and when it asks if you have an upcoming date simply say "no" (Assuming you aren't going to retake the MCAT). Hope that helps!

Haha, what a simple solution! Thanks!

100% of my friends with 29s got into schools. It doesn't matter where you go - just apply all over place.