The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

I still submitted my exam - there was a big disadvantage since the majority of my time lost was in CARS, where every second counts (at least for me). But bio wasn't bad and the questions didn't require a lot of time - either I knew it or I didn't and all the time in the world wouldn't make it appear in my brain, unfortunately :(
But even though I submitted, I still got an email saying that I could choose to void my exam. I spoke to AAMC to clarify and even if you submitted your exam to be scored, you may void them and you can still get a free retake if you feel like the computer errors compromised my score.
Although I was affected, it's not worth it for me to retake. It definitely stressed me out during CARS but despite the errors, I don't feel like I did horribly. Hopefully that doesn't blow up in my face in a few weeks...

Im in the same exact situation!! CARS takes the whole time for me... So realizing that im getting screwed in CARS was so nerve racking! Now i have this hard choice to make.. Retake or just wait and see and hope for the best...

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah they put people in a very difficult situation. Knowing that not everyone else had the lag, allowing yourself to be scored against people who weren't put under the same pressures could be a big disadvantage for you if you have any doubts. Just go by how you feel you did and think on it for a few days. If you feel like that 20 minutes could have improved your score, then I'd really consider the retake.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on my experience I would de-emphasize physics. As the AAMC outline suggests, physics now occupies a very little percentage of total questions. You still need to know your stuff for those few questions/passages you will get, but I wouldn't focus your energy on it.

CARS was hard. The reason there is discrepancy on this thread is because people had different versions of the exam. But make no mistake, the practice was a breeze compared to this. The passages were more complicated and longer. That being said, I think I still did OK on this. I don't know how you would prepare for this because I didn't really. I majored in history in college so I am fairly comfortable analyzing convoluted texts.

Physics was much more prevalent on this May exam than it was on the April exam for me personally (Again, different versions).

But I agree 100% that CARS was by far the toughest set I have seen from all my practice thus far. The official practice test is an absolute JOKE in nearly every section compared to the real thing, especially CARS.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Warning: I might be in the Top 10 of the world's most sentimental people. I just want to say that I've really appreciated the amount of support I've seen and received on this forum. SDN gets a lot of flak for being a bunch of neurotic jerks, but I really haven't seen that here. Thanks for the love. <3333333

Reactions: 15 users
In michigan, but i didn't have any troubles, I think someone else in michigan did though.

Warning: I might be in the Top 10 of the world's most sentimental people. I just want to say that I've really appreciated the amount of support I've seen and received on this forum. SDN gets a lot of flak for being a bunch of neurotic jerks, but I really haven't seen that here. Thanks for the love. <3333333

d'awwww good luck with everything

People that took their MCAT yesterday at a "satellite" testing center faced latency issues. Those that took it at an official Prometric site did not face any at all. My proctor told us the people taking it at the satellite sites had to send their test information over their "cloud". Now with so many satellite sites opened it took time for every examinee at a satellite site to process their information. It was as if they had to wait in line for each question (took me 14-24 seconds a question, I looked at the time difference after clicking next). Those complaining a retake is not fair for examinees that faced lag issues is outright selfish. Would you like 20 minutes removed from your exam and have it scored? Some of us did not even get to the page that allowed us to accept or void our exams! Mind you my testing center only had a 5 minute time frame to accept a June 20th retake. Some of us did not even start their exams by that time (my computer did not work for 2 hours and some were still being processed to be seated to begin their exams). Everything will be considered by aamc, stop being so self focused worrying about percentiles.

Reactions: 6 users
Ours wasn't a lag problem but the computers froze, unfroze with less time, then were shut off for 30 mins or so? When it was restarted, we had less time

Wow ouch. That sucks.

Well, I hope AAMC makes this right for everyone who had lag and everyone who didn't. They will have to do some crazy statistical analyses to normalize everything.

There are WAY too many variables in the MCAT this cycle. I pity the medical school adcoms who have to make sense of it all.
pity us, the applicants lol

Reactions: 3 users
People that took their MCAT yesterday at a "satellite" testing center faced latency issues. Those that took it at an official Prometric site did not face any at all. My proctor told us the people taking it at the satellite sites had to send their test information over their "cloud". Now with so many satellite sites opened it took time for every examinee at a satellite site to process their information. It was as if they had to wait in line for each question (took me 14-24 seconds a question, I looked at the time difference after clicking next). Those complaining a retake is not fair for examinees that faced lag issues is outright selfish. Would you like 20 minutes removed from your exam and have it scored? Some of us did not even get to the page that allowed us to accept or void our exams! Mind you my testing center only had a 5 minute time frame to accept a June 20th retake. Some of us did not even start their exams by that time (my computer did not work for 2 hours and some were still being processed to be seated to begin their exams). Everything will be considered by aamc, stop being so self focused worrying about percentiles.

I wasn't saying it's "unfair" for those facing issues to be allowed to retake, and moreover I was not entirely clear what the lag issue was when I asked. Knowing now how significant it was, I definitely think you should be allowed to void and retake. However, that does not change the fact that I am curious about how AAMC will normalize this from a from a statistical standpoint. For better or for worse, this issue will affect the percentile distribution in some non-systematic way because people experienced different levels of lag and some people who void may have had the same lag as others who do not.

Obviously we are all worried about our individual percentiles -- obtaining a good percentile is the only reason we took this test. It's the only thing that matters. The fact is, taking the MCAT is a very self-serving process. It is a competition, as much as we can try to help one another. I hope AAMC normalizes things for everyone who sat for the exam yesterday, both those who experienced problems and those who did not. Good luck to everyone.

First post in this thread

I took the exam yesterday and my whole testing rooms' computers froze for about 20 mins for everyone at the same time... We lost around 3 minutes because the timer was counting down while the computers were frozen before they were restarted by Prometric staff... Did not receive an email from AAMC but that might be because they were closed already around 3pm PST?

I took my test in Southern California

I took the test in Utah and everyone had lag. At least one guy left our center (and I'm assuming people across the country were dropping like flies) and after lunch the system worked like a dream. CARS was the only section that had lag and of course that is the section that takes me longest. I don't think I am going to retest though. I don't think I could get up for 16 more days of non stop studying and another 7-8 hours of test taking.

Anyone else still in MCAT mode? I read this "the MCAT is a very self-serving process" and thought "self-serving bias is where you make yourself look or feel better than you really are." Everything I see reminds me of a passage or question that has been asked or could be asked!!

I took the test in Utah and everyone had lag. At least one guy left our center (and I'm assuming people across the country were dropping like flies) and after lunch the system worked like a dream. CARS was the only section that had lag and of course that is the section that takes me longest. I don't think I am going to retest though. I don't think I could get up for 16 more days of non stop studying and another 7-8 hours of test taking.

Anyone else still in MCAT mode? I read this "the MCAT is a very self-serving process" and thought "self-serving bias is where you make yourself look or feel better than you really are." Everything I see reminds me of a passage or question that has been asked or could be asked!!
Your name...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kindof worried that so many people are canceling their scores and retaking. Will AAMC calculate percentiles from June 2nd and May 22nd combined, or separately?

Either way, it's going to mess with the percentiles. Realistically the people voiding their scores and re-taking on the June 2nd date are people who did not feel good about how they performed. Thus the sample left over will be overall higher-scoring. This depends on 1) Whether people who submitted yesterday despite the issues have the option to go back and cancel (seems unfair to me if that's the case -- you could then cancel based on how you did, skewing the sample) 2) How many testing centers actually had these issues. I can't tell if it's a substantial portion or just a few centers.

When your talking about the group that didn't void will be those that felt better about how they performed and then the submitting sample will be higher performing, thats neglecting the obvious fact that some who experienced lag, would have posted competitive scores, but were in the lag group. Taking the exam 10 days later, is no bigger advantage that May 22nd takers had on April 18th takers, other than we basically took a bonafide practice test, of which there is currently one, but good luck normalizing that.

I posted earlier why I "submitted" my exam. I didn't void it because it didn't know if I would have been able to get another test seat early enough in the application cycle. If I voided and they said "yeah we had difficulties, you can sign up again. It would be so late in the cycle that it would be throwing away all that application $$$. The AAMC is going to calculate the scores (percentiles) from June 2nd with the May 22nd (and April 18th for that matter) test. Thats why April doesn't have their scores back, only a range of percentiles. I usually finish the biology section with 15 minutes left, knowing I can re-read any marked problems and take my time on difficult passages. That was robbed of my test, then I was faced with a 5 minute timer asking if I want to void or send my exam that had a good 23 minutes of time taken off it, to all the med schools. If I voided, I may not get to apply this cycle, (this was before they sent the email about June 2nd), it was a horrible situation AAMC and Prometric put us in and we should absolutely be allowed to void the exam after walking out of that exam (note all of this occurs prior to scoring percentiles come out, you either get to void and retest, or take your score and stick with it, you don't get to view the score then decide to void). I personally sat there and refused to select either void or submit, which means is defaults to submitting, on purpose, just so at the very least I could apply on time, but no one could say "but you chose to submit it so why do you want to void?".

This is probably the most important test in our lives to date as it will determine the rest of our future. Sucks that this happened but hang in there everyone! Right now, it's over and it's Memorial Day weekend :)

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows whether the June scores will be calculated with our May scores? Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

With everything! A lot of the social science stuff, like with theories and terms about social interaction...it's really weird but cool at the same time.

Kudos to all who fought through the madness yesterday--it was a long 7 hours. And also those choosing to retake--best of luck to you all!

I'll save my views about the test for later when I have access to a computer.

With everything! A lot of the social science stuff, like with theories and terms about social interaction...it's really weird but cool at the same time.

Kudos to all who fought through the madness yesterday--it was a long 7 hours. And also those choosing to retake--best of luck to you all!

I'll save my views about the test for later when I have access to a computer.

I feel like I need a break from thinking about it. I have dissected every question, looked up everything that I could remember. I still feel okay about everything except biology. I just can't see how I am going to bring myself to take it again if I must. Now to start the application.

I feel like I need a break from thinking about it. I have dissected every question, looked up everything that I could remember. I still feel okay about everything except biology. I just can't see how I am going to bring myself to take it again if I must. Now to start the application.
Should we memorize the intermediates in the metabolic pathway?

Should we memorize the intermediates in the metabolic pathway?

We cannot answer this. Telling you whether something is or is not on the exam is against AAMC policy and nobody wants to get banned.

Please don't get this thread shut down.

Know what is on the AAMC outline -- everything on there is fair game.

Reactions: 2 users
You do realize there are several versions of the test, right? The April test takers had multiple versions, as did we yesterday. Most likely the retakers will get another version than the one that they started, and they will roll out more variations over the year. I would say study everything. I didn't need everything that I studied but you may. I stressed about certain systems that didn't even show up, but I have already seen examples on the April and May threads that let me know that I could have had a question as well.
Yes it is frustrating to think you need it all, but follow the outline, check out all kinds of material if you can. I saved a few things for a retake and will probably buy TBR if I bombed Bio.

Yeah, I'm with @carpediem22 and a few other May test-takers: please, please respect that we are here to share our overall experiences and how we felt about our prep methods and materials in comparison to the MCAT. We are not here to give you the inside scoop re: what's on the exam. The new MCAT is no different from the old in that every examination differs from the next, and so you might need to know the specifics of one pathway on one exam and not the other. This is a standardized exam for one of the most competitive career fields out there, not a college final. You need to know your stuff, plain and simple.

And similarly, please respect that we are real people with lives who don't want to be constantly answering questions about the MCAT, and the same questions, over and over again. I've answered so many PMs and messages both here and on Reddit, and after awhile it gets annoying. I've made it clear that I'm happy to help, and I really am--just, you know, realize that you're not the only person who's asked me this exact same question, or a variation of it. READ the forums. Read the Compilation of Commentary on the New Exam that I'm currently updating with May responses. Do your research, because at this point there really is a lot of information out there.

Reactions: 5 users
You do realize there are several versions of the test, right? The April test takers had multiple versions, as did we yesterday. Most likely the retakers will get another version than the one that they started, and they will roll out more variations over the year. I would say study everything. I didn't need everything that I studied but you may. I stressed about certain systems that didn't even show up, but I have already seen examples on the April and May threads that let me know that I could have had a question as well.
Yes it is frustrating to think you need it all, but follow the outline, check out all kinds of material if you can. I saved a few things for a retake and will probably buy TBR if I bombed Bio.

I would say it's more like 100% certainty that the people retaking from May will not get the version that they took yesterday. It would be unfair if even a single question were the same (especially since some finished the exam), and I don't thing AAMC is that stupid.

I took the exam at a prometric site on the west coast and everyone there had lag issues. Most had to be sent home. I actually finished and think I will just score because I'm not sure how much more studying I can get in over 1.5 weeks while working full time. I agree with everyone though this was a huge inconvenience on their part, unless they are going to reimburse everyone for days they took off work and travel costs, I'm not really interested. I studied for the past 5 months putting sweat and tears into this thing and I'm not about to go through it again. I was able to finish every section on time but didn't have time to review like I usually do. BTW, June 2 is another weekeday which doesn't do us full time workers any favor especially if you cant afford to miss more time off work.

I will say this though, I thought the test content was pretty fair and if you put in the time and go over as much practice problems and passages as you can then everyone should at least be able to do decent.

I will tell you whats on the test. Science and stuff. Oh and you may have to read a little.

Reactions: 9 users
Changing gears a little. I really wanted to just sit around drink beer and watch sports center all day but I'm starting to hear my AMCAS calling me a little. Anyone else feel the same way?

Changing gears a little. I really wanted to just sit around drink beer and watch sports center all day but I'm starting to hear my AMCAS calling me a little. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, but I command you to sit around drinking beer and watching sports center all day.

I'm going downtown to celebrate my dude and I's anniversary.

We all deserve a break!

Yeah, I'm with @carpediem22 and a few other May test-takers: please, please respect that we are here to share our overall experiences and how we felt about our prep methods and materials in comparison to the MCAT. We are not here to give you the inside scoop re: what's on the exam. The new MCAT is no different from the old in that every examination differs from the next, and so you might need to know the specifics of one pathway on one exam and not the other. This is a standardized exam for one of the most competitive career fields out there, not a college final. You need to know your stuff, plain and simple.

And similarly, please respect that we are real people with lives who don't want to be constantly answering questions about the MCAT, and the same questions, over and over again. I've answered so many PMs and messages both here and on Reddit, and after awhile it gets annoying. I've made it clear that I'm happy to help, and I really am--just, you know, realize that you're not the only person who's asked me this exact same question, or a variation of it. READ the forums. Read the Compilation of Commentary on the New Exam that I'm currently updating with May responses. Do your research, because at this point there really is a lot of information out there.

This times 6.02x10^23

Yes, but I command you to sit around drinking beer and watching sports center all day.

I'm going downtown to celebrate my dude and I's anniversary.

We all deserve a break!
Lol! Are you my old Air Force supervisor, or my mother is disguise?

Is a satellite center just a center that is not under the Prometric name?

so did anyone with the lag feel like the timer went by slower than it should have? the lag happened for me during the first section and I feel like the section lasted longer than it should have..

Did anyone have an issue with the highlighting feature? Mine didn't work as normal. In order to highlight, I needed to physically highlight, then click a little button that showed up to 'confirm it'. While it wasn't a HUGE deal, it really threw me off, I wonder if it was just my computer that was on the wrong settings... (this little extra step to confirm every highlight wasn't on any of the AAMC e-mcat material).

Please respond: Did anyone else encounter this weird highlighting-issue, or was it just my computer?? It slowed me down a bit, having to confirm every highlight with a click of an extra button, but I tried to adapt. ^_^

Did anyone have an issue with the highlighting feature? Mine didn't work as normal. In order to highlight, I needed to physically highlight, then click a little button that showed up to 'confirm it'. While it wasn't a HUGE deal, it really threw me off, I wonder if it was just my computer that was on the wrong settings... (this little extra step to confirm every highlight wasn't on any of the AAMC e-mcat material).

Please respond: Did anyone else encounter this weird highlighting-issue, or was it just my computer?? It slowed me down a bit, having to confirm every highlight with a click of an extra button, but I tried to adapt. ^_^

Do not feed the trolls

If you read any of the AAMC material, it was very clear that this was how highlighting works on the new MCAT.

This. I hate to be rude but at this point you can't tell who is actually asking for help and who is just trying to be annoying, or both at the same time.

I took the sample test (AAMC FL Practice Test) on 4/30 and did the official guide on 5/19. The highlight feature was 'normal'. I just opened up a new 'sample test' FL on e-MCAT and I can see the highlight description now. I guess they may have changed it. My apologies for not realizing the mistake, but honest mistake. When has this been in effect?

Edit: I just started a new sample test, and it lets me highlight without the 'confirmation' button. I'm using firefox browser, not sure if that makes a difference.

I took the sample test (AAMC FL Practice Test) on 4/30 and did the official guide on 5/19. The highlight feature was 'normal'. I just opened up a new 'sample test' FL on e-MCAT and I can see the highlight description now. I guess they may have changed it. My apologies for not realizing the mistake, but honest mistake. When has this been in effect?

Edit: I just started a new sample test, and it lets me highlight without the 'confirmation' button. I'm using firefox browser, not sure if that makes a difference.

States in the tutorial of the practice test that on the real test you will NOT be able to simply drag, you must click on the icon as well.

OK. That clears it up completely. Thank you very much for this^.

I was not expecting this either, and for CARS it did throw me off cause sometimes when I tried to highlight I missed the click and had to re-highlight it and kept losing time :(..

idk why they changed it :confused:

I noticed the highlighting thing, mainly because I didn't read how highlighting works on the new exam.

It tripped me up for about 0.05 seconds the first time.... That's it. End of story. This is not an issue lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
For those that took the exam in May (or even April) and were simultaneously taking college courses, was it doable?

I think I'd rather take the exam in April 2016, so it doesn't coincide with finals. I'd also like to start studying in December, or do you guys think that would be too early?

(I'll worry about exam materials and actual study plans as that time comes nearer).

For those that took the exam in May (or even April) and were simultaneously taking college courses, was it doable?

I think I'd rather take the exam in April 2016, so it doesn't coincide with finals. I'd also like to start studying in December, or do you guys think that would be too early?

(I'll worry about exam materials and actual study plans as that time comes nearer).
It was doable in the sense that I didn't have any free time until the day before the exam. Four months is a long time.

I also didn't feel as though I had enough time to completely study for it, but I just went with it because I know I was at the point where I was fine and had the potential to do very well. Soooo it depends on what you take and how you manage your time (research, volunteering, clubs etc..)

If you plan to study for 4 months. I recommend taking your first practice test at the beginning of the second month. Take as many as you can without burning yourself out. That would be my best recommendation.

Reactions: 2 users

I was taking physics II, psych, upper-division chem, and a spanish course. It is completely doable. Honestly, you really just need to be in a committed and stable mindset during the whole studying process. Whether you have a busy schedule or not is a factor, but being time-conscious and responsible is huge for this test. Set your goals higher than where you feel comfortable. Let your studying time be something that actually challenges you. It should NOT be a passive experience at all. I always knew I was doing the best I could with studying when I felt uncomfortable with the material (aka actually learning something I needed to know for the test). You got it! :)