-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread
Started by southpawcannon
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Can you ever feel ready for this test?
Going over taken AAMC's and flashcards this weekend. AAMC 8 on Monday, maybe 9 on Tuesday. Wednesday gonna head down to Ann Arbor with the lady and chill. Check out the med school, get some motivation and confidence. I have a 2-hour drive to my testing center, so my girl is gonna quiz me on flashcards.
Please guys, any food tips? I need energy stuff that won't make me sleepy. I have a high metabolism, so that might have something to do with it. Thinking of eating a tuna sandwich that morning.
Going over taken AAMC's and flashcards this weekend. AAMC 8 on Monday, maybe 9 on Tuesday. Wednesday gonna head down to Ann Arbor with the lady and chill. Check out the med school, get some motivation and confidence. I have a 2-hour drive to my testing center, so my girl is gonna quiz me on flashcards.
Please guys, any food tips? I need energy stuff that won't make me sleepy. I have a high metabolism, so that might have something to do with it. Thinking of eating a tuna sandwich that morning.
Please guys, any food tips? I need energy stuff that won't make me sleepy. I have a high metabolism, so that might have something to do with it. Thinking of eating a tuna sandwich that morning.
Have you ever tried carb loading? I plan on eating a big pasta dinner Wednesday night and a solid breakfast Thursday morning. Haven't figured out lunch yet. But I'm gonna take a couple power bars (cliff bars or marathon bars) and an apple with me to eat during the breaks.
Just some advice on the 2 hour drive make sure you leave plenty of spare time just in case something happens and you get lost or bad traffic or something. You don't need any extra stress that day.
Have you ever tried carb loading? I plan on eating a big pasta dinner Wednesday night and a solid breakfast Thursday morning. Haven't figured out lunch yet. But I'm gonna take a couple power bars (cliff bars or marathon bars) and an apple with me to eat during the breaks.
Just some advice on the 2 hour drive make sure you leave plenty of spare time just in case something happens and you get lost or bad traffic or something. You don't need any extra stress that day.
Idk. I always get sleepy a little while after I eat, especially breakfast. I usually do better when I go without food lol. For breaks, I think I'm just gonna drink water. 5 hour energy lol?
Yeah for real. Last time I left with plenty of time and ended up getting lost and arrived about 20 mins before it started.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Idk. I always get sleepy a little while after I eat, especially breakfast. I usually do better when I go without food lol. For breaks, I think I'm just gonna drink water. 5 hour energy lol?
Yeah for real. Last time I left with plenty of time and ended up getting lost and arrived about 20 mins before it started.
5 hour energies make me really jittery. I don't want to be shaking in my chair haha.
You should try a couple different foods these last few days and figure out which one makes you feel the best for the 4 1/2-5 hours or so. Everyone is different just gotta figure out what works best for you.
Yeah I'm lucky my test site is about 3/4 of a mile from my apt so I'm just going to walk and breath some fresh air to get rid of the last minute butterflies.
Lucky. In Michigan, these things fill up faster than military restrooms on chili night.
Finished up with all of the AAMCs yesterday and here's a summary of what I've gotten
3- (7/10/10) on 2/13
4- (12/12/12) on 4/5
5- (13/12/12) on 4/9
7- (11/12/11) on 4/12
8 - (11/12/11) on 4/15
9- (14/12/13) on 4/19
10- (12/10/13) on 5/3
11- (13/11/12) on 4/26
Averages out to a 35.8 (not including 3 because I did that when I was only halfway done with content review)
Verbal has been going down apparently and I just feel worse when taking the verbal section. Might just be a mental thing but definitely going to focus more on reading actively during verbal and getting the main point. Hope everyone's getting the last few touches in, 4 more days! I plan on getting some coffee before the test but only drinking it in 3rds (1/3 before, first break, second break) so that I'm not too jittery while taking the test. Going to eat big on Tuesday and Wednesday and then probably bring some granola and a banana or something similar for the breaks during test day.
3- (7/10/10) on 2/13
4- (12/12/12) on 4/5
5- (13/12/12) on 4/9
7- (11/12/11) on 4/12
8 - (11/12/11) on 4/15
9- (14/12/13) on 4/19
10- (12/10/13) on 5/3
11- (13/11/12) on 4/26
Averages out to a 35.8 (not including 3 because I did that when I was only halfway done with content review)
Verbal has been going down apparently and I just feel worse when taking the verbal section. Might just be a mental thing but definitely going to focus more on reading actively during verbal and getting the main point. Hope everyone's getting the last few touches in, 4 more days! I plan on getting some coffee before the test but only drinking it in 3rds (1/3 before, first break, second break) so that I'm not too jittery while taking the test. Going to eat big on Tuesday and Wednesday and then probably bring some granola and a banana or something similar for the breaks during test day.
I just finished AAMC 11. Got my lowest score on the AAMCs, but it was definitely a step-up from the rest in my opinion. Maybe it was just the subject matter, though.
My scores have been:
4- 36 (12,11,13)
5- 36 (11,11,14)
8- 38 (14,11,13)
9- 39 (12,13,14)
10- 38 (12,11,15)
11- 35 (12,10,13)
Overall super happy with my scores. Way better than I anticipated going into this thing. Planning on going over 11 tomorrow and then taking it easy till Thursday. Good luck everyone!
My scores have been:
4- 36 (12,11,13)
5- 36 (11,11,14)
8- 38 (14,11,13)
9- 39 (12,13,14)
10- 38 (12,11,15)
11- 35 (12,10,13)
Overall super happy with my scores. Way better than I anticipated going into this thing. Planning on going over 11 tomorrow and then taking it easy till Thursday. Good luck everyone!
I just finished AAMC 11. Got my lowest score on the AAMCs, but it was definitely a step-up from the rest in my opinion. Maybe it was just the subject matter, though.
My scores have been:
4- 36 (12,11,13)
5- 36 (11,11,14)
8- 38 (14,11,13)
9- 39 (12,13,14)
10- 38 (12,11,15)
11- 35 (12,10,13)
Overall super happy with my scores. Way better than I anticipated going into this thing. Planning on going over 11 tomorrow and then taking it easy till Thursday. Good luck everyone!
Wow! Great scores.
What is everyone else doing before Thursday. I've thought about some light studying for weak points but nothing excessive. Done wanna be burnt out or anything
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think I'm gonna skim over review sheets for 2-3 hours today and then tomorrow review AAMCs. Maybe look at some other stuff 1-2 hours Wednesday, but that's all.Wow! Great scores.
What is everyone else doing before Thursday. I've thought about some light studying for weak points but nothing excessive. Done wanna be burnt out or anything
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm planning on reviewing AAMC 9 and 11 tomorrow most just the PS and BS. I feel like verbal is pretty much set in stone by now. I'll probably end up doing 2 passages or so from some topics that I have some trouble in (acids/bases, optics etc) and then do 2 verbal passages and lightly read notes. Wednesday I'm probably only going to look over my book of notes about my mistakes/ read over some of the topics that I have trouble in and then that'll be it! I can't wait for this to be over with!
Kind of nervous because I woke up with a sore throat yesterday and I had a slight temperature today. Took some advil feeling much better hopefully I feel better tomorrow. Regardless going to take that test on the 8th and kill it.
Kind of nervous because I woke up with a sore throat yesterday and I had a slight temperature today. Took some advil feeling much better hopefully I feel better tomorrow. Regardless going to take that test on the 8th and kill it.
Tomorrow May 6 I am going to go hold a review for all the Physics and Chemistry section from the TBR. May 7 I am going to finish up Biology and some Organic. Feel free to message me on Skype and we can have a study session. It will be a general review that shouldn't take up more than 2-3 hours. Message me if you are interested. BTW, probably going to start it at about 12 Est.
You don't need to study for it. All of these posts suggesting studying are people paid off by Princeton Review, Kaplan, EK, and Berkley Review. Your undergrad classes were more than enough preparation 😉so hai i haz mcat test on thursdays and i wanna no wut i shuld study for it. any advise?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
final stretch guys!!!
What's everyone doing on the last day?!
What's everyone doing on the last day?!
final stretch guys!!!
What's everyone doing on the last day?!
Absolutely nothing. 🙂
final stretch guys!!!
What's everyone doing on the last day?!
Maybe spending 30 minutes to an hour looking over stuff one last time. Otherwise napping and watching tv 🙂
i can only imagine what you guys are going through... ill be like -->
on my last date
Did I tell you guys about this fact that May MCATers are the smartest ? You're going to be fine
on my last dateDid I tell you guys about this fact that May MCATers are the smartest ? You're going to be fine

final stretch guys!!!
What's everyone doing on the last day?!
Workout, and chill. Maybe some meditation and enjoy the weather.
I'm from Michigan too, going to Ohio for my test... would it kill AAMC to add more seats?Lucky. In Michigan, these things fill up faster than military restrooms on chili night.
I'm from Michigan too, going to Ohio for my test... would it kill AAMC to add more seats?
I find that A LOT of people drop before each test so you can find a spot closer to the date .. maybe thats why they dont
Wouldn't you have to completely cancel your exam (and lose $400I find that A LOT of people drop before each test so you can find a spot closer to the date .. maybe thats why they dont
Wouldn't you have to completely cancel your exam (and lose $400) before you can sign up for a new one/ location?
No you reschedule and depending on when lose 65/135$ but you can also wait until a spot becomes available (which does in most cases) and not lose anything
The fee is less if you are just changing location not date
Did I tell you guys about this fact that May MCATers are the smartest ? You're going to be fine![]()
How do you know that for a fact? Do tell
Your test is tomorrow, and you only have 6 pages worth of posts? I think i can hear the crickets.
Good luck y'all.
Good luck y'all.
Your test is tomorrow, and you only have 6 pages worth of posts? I think i can hear the crickets.
Good luck y'all.
![]()
Right?! This place better become a party after this exam. I'm gonna need some anonymous SDN support to make it through the month wait
How do you know that for a fact? Do tell
Cuz you guys are all awesome and all capable of scoring very very high and there is nothing that can stop you tomorrow ! We are counting on you guys
less than 24 hours left....just casually ****ting in my pants. It's all good! 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
less than 24 hours left....just casually ****ting in my pants. It's all good!![]()
I can only imagine....
try to distract yourself... a movie? or even a game like those online games / phone apps ... anything..
Feelin pretty good right now! What I've done since highschool right before any of my big track meets/matches was always listen to one song on repeat right before to help me calm down and I've done the same thing all through college as well. Now just listening to that song instantly gets me ready to crush something but also calms me down.
Probably gonna get there around 12:15. You're called in in the order you sign in. The first time I took the test, I went in around 12:30 and wasn't even called back to take the test till 1:40 or soRandom question but how long before the exam do you guys plan to get to the test center
Probably gonna get there around 12:15. You're called in in the order you sign in. The first time I took the test, I went in around 12:30 and wasn't even called back to take the test till 1:40 or so
Wow! Thanks for the heads up 😉
Sure thing. Although I took it in a different area last time (Raleigh), so there were tons of students from NC State, UNC, and Duke. Might be different where you are in terms of super eager individuals hahaWow! Thanks for the heads up 😉
Sure thing. Although I took it in a different area last time (Raleigh), so there were tons of students from NC State, UNC, and Duke. Might be different where you are in terms of super eager individuals haha
I'm in so cal and am taking it by a major university...,I'm sure there will be many many eager students 🙂
Why are you up this early then? HahaI'm in so cal and am taking it by a major university...,I'm sure there will be many many eager students 🙂
Why are you up this early then? Haha
Don't you know. How can one possibly sleep before an exam like this lol
Benadryl is how I did it 🙂Don't you know. How can one possibly sleep before an exam like this lol
Benadryl is how I did it 🙂
I just always wake up at 6am because I'm used to for work. But I should have taken some Benadryl, damn.
Well best of luck to you! We're gonna rock this or die trying!I just always wake up at 6am because I'm used to for work. But I should have taken some Benadryl, damn.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't you know. How can one possibly sleep before an exam like this lol
Lol, you couldn't have gotten less sleep than me....lots of tossing and turning over here. Lots.
Lol, you couldn't have gotten less sleep than me....lots of tossing and turning over here. Lots.
Well, I dreamt I was done with the mcat, only to wake up...
Good luck my brothers. See you on the other side.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E