*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Ugh, 502 (122/127/124/129) on the free TPR exam. Feeling awful. Is it worth trying to study more today or should I just switch to self care?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a point estimate?

Probably 6-10 points if you look at that spreadsheet. I’m not able to post it but if you go to the MCAT subreddit on reddit it’s on the right column as score spreadsheet.

Taking Kaplan/TPR should be a form of content review...don’t put any stock in those scores.

Probably 6-10 points if you look at that spreadsheet. I’m not able to post it but if you go to the MCAT subreddit on reddit it’s on the right column as score spreadsheet.

Taking Kaplan/TPR should be a form of content review...don’t put any stock in those scores.
Which exams should you take then?

Take the AAMC FL if you haven't done so. Kaplan and TPR are not really representative of the real thing

I'm planning on taking the free Next Step next, don't want to waste AAMC materials when I'm not ready for them. I'm not done with content review yet, I've been doing it based on what I miss on third party exams and the question banks and I think that's helping more than trying to tackle the books chapter by chapter.

Feel the same way as prairie... really down in the dumps if anyone is willing to talk this out in pm. just need some advice. Just took a FL and did very below expectations (NS FL 4). I am really doubting my test taking problem-solving abilities yet i have been practicing for some time now. Theres something inside that feels like there's gotta be a trick/good way to go through passages/problems, but for some reason I havent quite figured it out and its really frustrating so was hoping someone could give me tips on how they go through it.

Feel the same way as prairie... really down in the dumps if anyone is willing to talk this out in pm. just need some advice. Just took a FL and did very below expectations (NS FL 4). I am really doubting my test taking problem-solving abilities yet i have been practicing for some time now. Theres something inside that feels like there's gotta be a trick/good way to go through passages/problems, but for some reason I havent quite figured it out and its really frustrating so was hoping someone could give me tips on how they go through it.
Pm me

The best way to see if you are ready is to take an AAMC practice test. There are 3 of them out so there is no reason to wait longer if you are taking the test January. Practice tests by other companies can vary wildly and are not very indicative. With regards to passages, it helps the more you do. After taking ~7 Kaplan and AAMC tests, I find that I can often tell what the questions will be about, especially in the CARS section. I tend to highlight things I think is important in the passage and what I highlight are often eerily similar to what the questions cover.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Just took AAMC FL 1 and scored 510 (130/126/128/126). Happy overall but disappointed in CARS and P/S. Some terms that I hadn't heard of but also getting a few terms mixed up. Haven't been focusing on CARS very much because I thought I was pretty solid but I'm definitely going to do CARS every night from now until my 1/20 test date. My timing strategy of completing 20 questions per 30 min on science sections and 3 passages per 30 min really helped me stay focused and not worry about the clock as much. C/P timing was right on but I was moving through B/B faster probably because I felt more comfortable with the answers I was choosing. Hopefully I can get CARS and P/S up a couple points per section so that I'm looking at a 514 instead of 510.

Update: Just took AAMC FL 1 and scored 510 (130/126/128/126). Happy overall but disappointed in CARS and P/S. Some terms that I hadn't heard of but also getting a few terms mixed up. Haven't been focusing on CARS very much because I thought I was pretty solid but I'm definitely going to do CARS every night from now until my 1/20 test date. My timing strategy of completing 20 questions per 30 min on science sections and 3 passages per 30 min really helped me stay focused and not worry about the clock as much. C/P timing was right on but I was moving through B/B faster probably because I felt more comfortable with the answers I was choosing. Hopefully I can get CARS and P/S up a couple points per section so that I'm looking at a 514 instead of 510.

Awesome job! P/S is super easy to bring up, CARS might take a bit more work, but you still have a few weeks left!

For those of you taking a Kaplan course, which Kaplan practice tests do you think are the best? I still haven't used tests 6-11 and I only plan to take 2 more Kaplan FL until my test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you recommend for bringing up P/S?
I've been going through the 100pg KA doc and making Anki cards from them. But if you search on reddit, there are some pre-made decks that are also pretty good (I think premed95 or something?). Unfortunately, P/S is really just knowing terms, so pure memorization can be a useful way to bring it up.

504 on AAMC FL 3 - CARS always f***ing kills me, man. Also did anyone notice that they removed the passage numbers on the top of the passages for the new full length? Quite an inconvenience I'd say...

504 on AAMC FL 3 - CARS always f***ing kills me, man. Also did anyone notice that they removed the passage numbers on the top of the passages for the new full length? Quite an inconvenience I'd say...

I havent taken the AAMC one yet, but I can see how that may be frustrating! I've changed my CARS strategy recently to just going in order and not going back to an old passage at all, so I dont anticipate any difference. Thanks for the headsup though haha

127 across the three other sections and a 123 in cars

Yeah I can see why you're frustrated. The good news is that if you can get that up, you'll do great! The bad news is that CARS is notoriously hard to bring up. Are you doing AAMC passages every day?

I also recommend checking out two places if in need of different strategies: 1: youtube, and 2: Jack Westin - he has a free first time tutor session on certain days (check his website for deets)

Yeah I can see why you're frustrated. The good news is that if you can get that up, you'll do great! The bad news is that CARS is notoriously hard to bring up. Are you doing AAMC passages every day?

I've exhausted all of the AAMC CARS passages and EK passages. I honestly think I plateaued on that section...

At this point I would be satisfied if I can hit a 124 for that section lol. I have come to accept that CARS is my weakness, and that's okay I guess...

I've exhausted all of the AAMC CARS passages and EK passages. I honestly think I plateaued on that section...

At this point I would be satisfied if I can hit a 124 for that section lol. I have come to accept that CARS is my weakness, and that's okay I guess...

You still have time to improve. I'd look at other strategies linked on the SDN Directory for CARS and try those with the Jack Westin passages, and on top of that I could be way off here but I'd suggest reading for fun as much as you can manage it. When's the last time you were in a literature or history class?

Have you analyzed why you’re getting questions wrong? Could just be a strategy issue.

Just took AAMC FL 3, 510! (125/130/126/129) I'm feeling a lot better now. I'd suggest everyone take AAMC content ASAP so we can stop freaking out with our deflated scores lol

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys I just took AAMC sample:
P/C: 57/59--97%
CARS: 43/53---81%
B/B: 55/59---93%
P/S: 52/59---88%
Puts me at about 90% overall ~521 ish I think. Just to let you guys know on every NS exam (except for the first: 130) I did not score above 128 on the P/C section. This is my strongest section obviously and the highest I scored on NS overall was a 514 and averaged about 512 over 5 exams. NS is definitely deflated to an extent when you get past 510+.

I am worried about CARS, I am just looking to secure a 128 in that section, you think its possible? I think I am close but do you guys have any advice for these last 3 weeks? I have exhausted every CARS resource except for AAMC FL's 1,2,3.

Hope studying is going well everybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello fellow January test takers! 1/20 test taker already freaking out over here. Finished most q packs, AAMC OG and Sample and have started working on the SB's. Let's get it!

Reactions: 3 users
Update: thanks for the PM's guys, the encouragement is nice to have and I would love to do the same to anyone else who needs it!

Just did the AAMC sample, not quite sure how this but i think it totals out to a 505...not bad its my best so far
C/P 73%
CARS 68%
B/B 73%
P/S 63%
Kind of shocked about P/S ,i thought i did better overall, but idk i'll go over it later tonight

Fortunately lots of time left to study and improve! keeping positive trying

Reactions: 2 users
Update: thanks for the PM's guys, the encouragement is nice to have and I would love to do the same to anyone else who needs it!

Just did the AAMC sample, not quite sure how this but i think it totals out to a 505...not bad its my best so far
C/P 73%
CARS 68%
B/B 73%
P/S 63%
Kind of shocked about P/S ,i thought i did better overall, but idk i'll go over it later tonight

Fortunately lots of time left to study and improve! keeping positive trying
P/S is one of the easier sections to bring up; you just need to study your psych/soc terms and make sure you know how to apply them. CARS is somewhat of a crapshoot..although doing lots of practice passages help.

Anyone take the Online Official Guide yet? I just took it to get back into the groove after taking most of last week off from studying (with the exception of Anki cards). I got 27/30 C/P, 29/30 CARS, 27/30 B/B, 24/30 P/S. Are there score converters somewhere online to see what kind of scaled score this translates to? Gonna review it today and take AAMC 1 tomorrow, or maybe Monday.

Anyone take the Online Official Guide yet? I just took it to get back into the groove after taking most of last week off from studying (with the exception of Anki cards). I got 27/30 C/P, 29/30 CARS, 27/30 B/B, 24/30 P/S. Are there score converters somewhere online to see what kind of scaled score this translates to? Gonna review it today and take AAMC 1 tomorrow, or maybe Monday.
Not worth the score conversion just use it as a learning tool. Scored test 1 will be a good prediction GL!

Anybody here using the KA P/S notes from reddit to supplement P/S content review? I'm thinking about using the 86 pg "lazy ocd" one but there's also a 292 pg one with HELLA depth but I don't think I have time for that. Anyone use these and have feedback?

Anybody here using the KA P/S notes from reddit to supplement P/S content review? I'm thinking about using the 86 pg "lazy ocd" one but there's also a 292 pg one with HELLA depth but I don't think I have time for that. Anyone use these and have feedback?
I use the former! has everything you need

Last edited:

It depends on your background - I'm a psych major so I just use the smaller one but if you don't have experience you might want to go for the deep one, especially if that's the only section you're trying to bring up.

501 AAMC FL 1: 126/123/128/124

CARS kinda blows but at least P/S is something to work with. Wanted a 508. Testing 1/19 and the last 2 weeks up until the test I'll be in spring semester... I have like 8 days of legitimate studying, hopefully still can during syllabus week too though.

I know it's not the usual, but even though I kinda anticipated having to retake this summer when I can study more, I'm still going to take on the 19th to get the experience.

Good luck everybody!

Why would you waste your money?
Its not entirely bad it gives more chances and in taking the exam he doesn't have to keep on paying for reschedule fees. Also who knows you may just need to take it once!

501 AAMC FL 1: 126/123/128/124

CARS kinda blows but at least P/S is something to work with. Wanted a 508. Testing 1/19 and the last 2 weeks up until the test I'll be in spring semester... I have like 8 days of legitimate studying, hopefully still can during syllabus week too though.

I know it's not the usual, but even though I kinda anticipated having to retake this summer when I can study more, I'm still going to take on the 19th to get the experience.

Good luck everybody!

Hey I wouldn't give up just yet! Keep studying with the mentality that you are going to take it on January 19th (since you don't plan on cancelling the test). If you think about pushing it off too much, then your studying will definitely slow down and, from personal experience, complacence will settle in. Long story short, I was gonna take the test in August so I studied throughout the summer, but got weak scores and slowly began to think I could push it off, so having that mindset really slowed down my progress the latter half of the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, hope everyone's studying is going well!

I just took AAMC FL 1 and got 511 (125/130/127/129). I got the same total score on the Sample 2 weeks ago. I'm conflicted because I'm happy with these scores considering I never scored above 504 on 3rd party tests, but at the same time C/P is what's keeping me from that 515+ range. I hated it in undergrad (straight Cs) and I hate studying for it now compared to the other sections. I have no choice but to fully devote myself to that section for the next 3 weeks (Jan 20). ANY advice on C/P is greatly appreciated!

For CARS I'm going to do some QP passages daily in the morning and for P/S I'll go over terms nightly. Most of my time I'll spend on C/P, doing the SB, QP, reviewing the FLs, and doing a TBR Phase 3 set each day for it. Again, any advice on how to boost that score would be awesome. As for B/B, I want to bring my scores up for it but I'm not sure how. I've already gone through the SB and QP and I don't have time to do more passages for it because C/P needs more work.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

Also I could use some advice. I'm wondering if I should push back my test day to the end of March. I'm just trying to get the highest score I possibly can and while a 511 would be solid for any DO school I think I'd need 515+ for a shot at MD (low GPA). I'd be really grateful for a DO acceptance but I want to maximize my MCAT score. Also I was a slacker throughout undergrad and I see the MCAT as a chance at redemption so I really wanted to give it my best shot.

My CARS and PS are good, and it's the science sections that need work which makes me feel that I just need more time to practice and learn. I still have nearly half the TBR passages left, all the EK 30 minute exams, and 5 Altius exams left which are great practice for the sciences. If I take the test on Jan 20 as scheduled, I only have time to focus on AAMC material basically. I feel like I'm leaving a lot of gains on the table for C/P and B/B, and taking it in March instead of January makes no difference in terms of applying.

However, I've been studying part time since July so I'm pretty burned out at this point. And I have been pushing the MCAT back since last year (was taking it April 17', then September 17', now January 18'). No one is really pressuring me per se but my entire social support is kinda waiting on me to be done and free. Pushing it back yet again would be a real downer. But I know that I shouldn't care about that. Another reason however is that the semester is starting next week and I'll be taking 15 credits of upper level science (postbacc to improve GPA so straight As are an absolute must). Also, I really need to get back to work as I took the last two months off and my job is waiting on me.

Tricky situation. I desperately want to be done and move on but I want to get the highest score I'm capable of just as desperately. Appreciate any advice thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I could use some advice. I'm wondering if I should push back my test day to the end of March. I'm just trying to get the highest score I possibly can and while a 511 would be solid for any DO school I think I'd need 515+ for a shot at MD (low GPA). I'd be really grateful for a DO acceptance but I want to maximize my MCAT score. Also I was a slacker throughout undergrad and I see the MCAT as a chance at redemption so I really wanted to give it my best shot.

My CARS and PS are good, and it's the science sections that need work which makes me feel that I just need more time to practice and learn. I still have nearly half the TBR passages left, all the EK 30 minute exams, and 5 Altius exams left which are great practice for the sciences. If I take the test on Jan 20 as scheduled, I only have time to focus on AAMC material basically. I feel like I'm leaving a lot of gains on the table for C/P and B/B, and taking it in March instead of January makes no difference in terms of applying.

However, I've been studying part time since July so I'm pretty burned out at this point. And I have been pushing the MCAT back since last year (was taking it April 17', then September 17', now January 18'). No one is really pressuring me per se but my entire social support is kinda waiting on me to be done and free. Pushing it back yet again would be a real downer. But I know that I shouldn't care about that. Another reason however is that the semester is starting next week and I'll be taking 15 credits of upper level science (postbacc to improve GPA so straight As are an absolute must). Also, I really need to get back to work as I took the last two months off and my job is waiting on me.

Tricky situation. I desperately want to be done and move on but I want to get the highest score I'm capable of just as desperately. Appreciate any advice thank you!
Do you think it will make a difference taking it in March if so maybe push back, and how do you think you will manage with 15 hour semster.

Where are you making mistakes on your AAMC exams? If you are missing questions because you have gaps in your knowledge because you haven't done enough content review, then you can probably benefit from pushing back your exam. However, if you are missing questions because of your test-taking strategies, then more study time probably won't make much of a difference. Also, consider the benefit of being able to take the MCAT after ~1 month of winter break, rather than in the middle of a college semester where you're busy with classes.

Do you think it will make a difference taking it in March if so maybe push back, and how do you think you will manage with 15 hour semster.

I'm not exactly sure...based on what materials I won't be able to get to (TBR passages, EK 30 minute exams), I would think that going through all of them should lead to a better score. I'm definitely wary of trying to do all this while taking 15 credits though..

You still have time to study, so don't think about pushing it back yet until the very last day to cancel the test (make a schedule and stick to it, with XX day as a FL and the final determining factor!). Personally, I think pushing it over and over again is unnecessary especially the amount of times you've done it, I feel bad that you keep doing that! Besides, your current scores are not bad. Additionally, if you make your schedule, you should utilize the entirety of each and every day, more likely you can find new strategies and keep improving your score. Hope this helps