*The Official MCAT June 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
June 2nd, 2018 here.

81 days until the test, here.

Let's rock, brothers and sisters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I finished the Bio 1 Qpack and got a 78%, and then I did the whole Section Bank for B/B timed and found it to be SO smooth and easy (except the last 20 questions which I messed up on because of vague familiarity with metabolism specifics. I didn't do that review yet, so I'm feeling no saltiness for now) and I got an 86%.

Please tell me that the B/B section bank is what the real MCAT B/B will be like. It was almost ENTIRELY reasoning from figures and research and including a tiny bit of background knowledge and I found it to be EASIER than Bio1 QBank in regards to content. I don't know why so many people made the section banks to be so brutal but then again, I have not even STARTED reviewing for the C/P or P/S sections, so I will write back when I review for that and do THOSE section banks. Crossing my fingers the B/B real MCAT will be more section bank and less Qbank haha. The reasons I really don't like the Qpacks for B/B review is because it is 100% biology based. No biochemistry.
And thank you! I will certainly take your advice and start preparing for CARS (I was planning to do 3 timed passages a day from the Qpack and maybe gradually increase to 5 passages?). I want to finish my bio/biochem knowledge asap so that I can focus on C/P and take that section bank, which I heard is more brutal than B/B. Thank you so much for your advice!

Nice job!! Did you start practicing before you were done with content? I'm not sure how to handle my practice materials

Guuuyssss....I so want to start with AAMC question packs but I'm not completely through with content yet. Are the Qpacks only content based or do they include passages as well? I'm starting with the QBank passages in about 9 days.. Thanks y'all!!!
Passages. I started the qpacks prior to finishing content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice job!! Did you start practicing before you were done with content? I'm not sure how to handle my practice materials

Thanks! And surprisingly, 70% of the B/B section bank is your ability to analyze research design and use your brain. I am only halfway through Bio and Biochem content, so this gave me hope. I SHOULD BE STUDYING RIGHT NOW!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I need some advice so I want to push my MCAT date from June 16th to June 30th but I am not sure if it will be too late for me as an applicant for this cycle? I am taking off from work so the only thing I will have to worry about is studying and I have been studying 6-8 hours everyday since May but I think that an extra 2 weeks could really give me a good MCAT score. Also I am submitting my app the first day to one school, have my personal statement completed. My stats are 3.81 GPA, 1000 hours of volunteering, + my current job?

Soo... advice should I push it? I

Hi everyone! I need some advice so I want to push my MCAT date from June 16th to June 30th but I am not sure if it will be too late for me as an applicant for this cycle? I am taking off from work so the only thing I will have to worry about is studying and I have been studying 6-8 hours everyday since May but I think that an extra 2 weeks could really give me a good MCAT score. Also I am submitting my app the first day to one school, have my personal statement completed. My stats are 3.81 GPA, 1000 hours of volunteering, + my current job?

I’m 6/29 & I’ve heard submitting around then isn’t early, but it certainly isn’t late. As long as it’s in by Labor Day!

I say reschedule it to June 2nd and show the MCAT who's the boss.

Kidding. Dont do that. But if those extra two weeks make that huge of a difference in your score and you are CERTAIN of it, then it's no problem. I wish I had your gpa haha.

June 2nd here.

My upcoming new few days are going to go like this:
  • two FL's a day, skipping CARS each time
  • quick review of wrong answers which I will write cards on using ANKI
  • Do ANKI whenever I'm not actively studying
This will enable me to exhaust all of my FL's (I have 6 NS, 5 TBR, and 3 AAMC) by next Tues.

If I can pull this off I'll have Wed, Thurs, and Fri to do what I need to do depending on how I do on the FL's. This means, a more in-depth review of the FL's and section banks. What I mean by more in-depth is going over all the questions instead of just the ones I got wrong. I don't think much practice in CARS is going to do much for me at this point, I just need to go over the question types that I answered wrong and have a better feel for the types of answers that they are looking for.

So far my FL scores are:

• 129/127/128/126 so 510 on AAMC FL 2 on April 30th
  • 128/126/127/128 so 509 on NS FL 1 on May 8th
  • 128/125/128/125 so 506 on TBR CBT 1 just now (5/24); stayed up and just decided to do it. Way longer PS sections that were very reminiscent of CARS.
On both of these, I ran out of time for all sections except PS. PS, for some reason, I finish like 30m early. That's most likely because for the questions where I don't know the answer, there isn't much I can do because I literally don't know what the choices (terms) mean.

I need to get my timing right. I also choked on these two exams. Math is my strong suit, but I spent way too much time on a calculation. I'm going to have to figure out how to manage my time effectively and make extensive use of flagging questions that are taking too long to answer. I like to highlight and strike things out so learning the keyboard short-cuts for these are very useful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
June 2nd here.

My upcoming new few days are going to go like this:
  • two FL's a day, skipping CARS each time
  • quick review of wrong answers which I will write cards on using ANKI
  • Do ANKI whenever I'm not actively studying
This will enable me to exhaust all of my FL's (I have 6 NS, 5 TBR, and 3 AAMC) by next Tues.

If I can pull this off I'll have Wed, Thurs, and Fri to do what I need to do depending on how I do on the FL's. This means, a more in-depth review of the FL's and section banks. What I mean by more in-depth is going over all the questions instead of just the ones I got wrong. I don't think much practice in CARS is going to do much for me at this point, I just need to go over the question types that I answered wrong and have a better feel for the types of answers that they are looking for.

So far my FL scores are:

• 129/127/128/126 so 510 on AAMC FL 2 on April 30th
  • 128/126/127/128 so 509 on NS FL 1 on May 8th
  • 128/125/128/125 so 506 on TBR CBT 1 just now (5/24); stayed up and just decided to do it. Way longer PS sections that were very reminiscent of CARS.
On both of these, I ran out of time for all sections except PS. PS, for some reason, I finish like 30m early. That's most likely because for the questions where I don't know the answer, there isn't much I can do because I literally don't know what the choices (terms) mean.

I need to get my timing right. I also choked on these two exams. Math is my strong suit, but I spent way too much time on a calculation. I'm going to have to figure out how to manage my time effectively and make extensive use of flagging questions that are taking too long to answer. I like to highlight and strike things out so learning the keyboard short-cuts for these are very useful.

Godspeed, friend. 2 FLs a day is definitely insane. That said, mind helping me out on the shortcuts to strikethrough?:) I always have to highlight the entire answer and click the button. So frustrating.

Also, you are exactly where you wanna be! Scoring a 510 in AAMC FL2 usually translates to a 515+ on the real thing if done right. Dont sweat it and if a C/P section is taking more than a min, guess on the answer that your gut likes and move on. Chances are no one else how tf to do that problem in time.

Any advice on how you studied for P/S? Im june16 and havent even started :D

Godspeed, friend. 2 FLs a day is definitely insane. That said, mind helping me out on the shortcuts to strikethrough?:) I always have to highlight the entire answer and click the button. So frustrating.

Also, you are exactly where you wanna be! Scoring a 510 in AAMC FL2 usually translates to a 515+ on the real thing if done right. Dont sweat it and if a C/P section is taking more than a min, guess on the answer that your gut likes and move on. Chances are no one else how tf to do that problem in time.

Any advice on how you studied for P/S? Im june16 and havent even started :D

Yeah, I tried that for a day and couldn't do it. I'm just going to try to take one FL a day.

I really am in no position to offer advice. I haven't taken enough FL's, and I got a 506 on the one I took yesterday.

Also, the shortcuts are different for each CBT company.

I haven't studied PS lol. I just learn from reviewing each time I do a section. Like any vocab word in the choices I just look up.

Hi guys! June 1st tester here. Really losing motivation in this last week...soooo burned out from this past month :( Just ready to get this over with! Good luck to everyone :)

Hi guys! June 1st tester here. Really losing motivation in this last week...soooo burned out from this past month :( Just ready to get this over with! Good luck to everyone :)

Same here :( June 2 tho so I get one extra day of misery ;) have you been scoring how you want on your FLs?

Same here :( June 2 tho so I get one extra day of misery ;) have you been scoring how you want on your FLs?

How many FLs are you all taking before the real deal? And how much time did you take just for practice and review after content?

Edit: Of course I wish you all best of luck :)

How many FLs are you all taking before the real deal? And how much time did you take just for practice and review after content?

I have done two aamc FL.. the sample test and FL1. And a few of Kaplan’s, Princeton review and the free Next Step FL 1. Planning to do aamc FL 2 next week some time.

Good luck all!

Overall I’ve taken 1 kaplan, 1 TPR, 1NS, and AAMC 1&2. Currently on my 30 min break for AAMC 3 hahaha dont think its going well. And my content has always been iffy so I never really stopped that. I’ve been spending time covering weak concepts and then doing practice passages everyday. So like a mix.

Gonna spend al day tomorrow going thru FL 3. And will probs take the AAMC unscored as my final FL.

And yes, good luck to everyone!

I have done two aamc FL.. the sample test and FL1. And a few of Kaplan’s, Princeton review and the free Next Step FL 1. Planning to do aamc FL 2 next week some time.

Good luck all!

Overall I’ve taken 1 kaplan, 1 TPR, 1NS, and AAMC 1&2. Currently on my 30 min break for AAMC 3 hahaha dont think its going well. And my content has always been iffy so I never really stopped that. I’ve been spending time covering weak concepts and then doing practice passages everyday. So like a mix.

Gonna spend al day tomorrow going thru FL 3. And will probs take the AAMC unscored as my final FL.

And yes, good luck to everyone!

Nice!! I also plan on taking at least 5 practice tests but I don't think that will be enough..

I'm taking my first FL on Tuesday or Wednesday and wanted to decide then whether I will be pushing my date to July 20 or not. Or do you think there is much room for improvement within 4 weeks?

Also....do you guys mind sharing how you've been scoring on your practice exams?

Last edited:
I'm taking FL 3 tomorrow! Will report back after :) Got a 510 on AAMC FL 2 with a super low psych/soc score, but I'm hoping for 515+. Spent the past week cramming all of the psych/soc into my brain lol...we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'm taking FL 3 tomorrow! Will report back after :) Got a 510 on AAMC FL 2 with a super low psych/soc score, but I'm hoping for 515+. Spent the past week cramming all of the psych/soc into my brain lol...we'll see what happens tomorrow.

That's an amazing practice score though!!!! That's where I want to be when I take mine.
Currently struggling with timing on CARS...doing QPacks and EVERY TIME (!!!) my timer goes off when I'm two questions from finishing the passage....tips... anyone?

That's an amazing practice score though!!!! That's where I want to be when I take mine.
Currently struggling with timing on CARS...doing QPacks and EVERY TIME (!!!) my timer goes off when I'm two questions from finishing the passage....tips... anyone?
Don't worry about the timing on individual passages, base it off of groups of 3 to 4 passages

Reactions: 2 users

See if you can get access to the EK CARS book online. There is a PDF of the 9th edition for free. This helped me a lot. I would imagine that you are spending too much on reading the passage to understand it. Read it for the main idea and highlight key words like "but", "furthermore", etc. for reference and clues.

Nice!! I also plan on taking at least 5 practice tests but I don't think that will be enough..

I'm taking my first FL on Tuesday or Wednesday and wanted to decide then whether I will be pushing my date to July 20 or not. Or do you think there is much room for improvement within 4 weeks?

Also....do you guys mind sharing how you've been scoring on your practice exams?

Just finished AAMC FL 3, and I gotttttttt a 506 (127/126/127/126).

Tbh, I am ecstatic. My target score is 506-508, and last week on FL 2 I scored a demoralizing 501. My CARS went from a 123 two weeks ago to a 124 last week to a 126 today. I have yet to go thru QPack 2, which I'm hoping will give me more practice before Saturday.

FL 1 = 503
NS 1 = 505
Kaplan & Princeton (back in April) = 498s

Overall, there is ALWAYS a way to improve, and 4 weeks is enough if you know what you need to work on and how. I recommend taking your first FL this week and then hitting your weak areas based on that. Take another one the week after. When is your scheduled exam date? June 30 I'm guessing?

That's fantastic! I've spent the past couple days cramming psych/soc and sadly I only improved by 1 point on FL 3. Sigh. It was a lot of "stuck between 2 answers" and a lot of passages rather than graph interpretation. Not looking forward to seeing the simple mistakes I probably made.

But don't let me discourage you haha best of luck tmrw! Let us know how it goes.

Don't worry about the timing on individual passages, base it off of groups of 3 to 4 passages

See if you can get access to the EK CARS book online. There is a PDF of the 9th edition for free. This helped me a lot. I would imagine that you are spending too much on reading the passage to understand it. Read it for the main idea and highlight key words like "but", "furthermore", etc. for reference and clues.

Thank you all! I actually have that EK edition..I'm just not using it right now because I'm taking a Kaplan course. Outlining the passage is super helpful but I'm not very good at being quick at it at aalll. I will try to incorporate your tricks :)

Just finished AAMC FL 3, and I gotttttttt a 506 (127/126/127/126).

Tbh, I am ecstatic. My target score is 506-508, and last week on FL 2 I scored a demoralizing 501. My CARS went from a 123 two weeks ago to a 124 last week to a 126 today. I have yet to go thru QPack 2, which I'm hoping will give me more practice before Saturday.

FL 1 = 503
NS 1 = 505
Kaplan & Princeton (back in April) = 498s

Overall, there is ALWAYS a way to improve, and 4 weeks is enough if you know what you need to work on and how. I recommend taking your first FL this week and then hitting your weak areas based on that. Take another one the week after. When is your scheduled exam date? June 30 I'm guessing?

Thank you :) Yes, I'm testing on June 30 and I will take one soon.. just so nervous about it haha This whole MCAT craziness is exciting in a very twisted way hahah

Thank you :) Yes, I'm testing on June 30 and I will take one soon.. just so nervous about it haha This whole MCAT craziness is exciting in a very twisted way hahah
Oh my gosh I know. Like this sounds weird but I'm lowkey trying to enjoy this whole preparation process because it is essentially the most important exam of our careers.. it's going to make us doctors (or not:laugh:). And then I go back into my mindset that imma fail and the panic attacks come back LOL.

Also, definitely take your first FL this week! Even if you score lower than you'd like, it's okay. Use it to build stamina and learn from it. You got it!

Literally RT -- trying to tell myself that learning all of this information is fun and cool and interesting, and that I'll have to do it again in med school, but then I reflect on how this score (and GPA) are how med schools are going to first-glance me and I freak out again haha

Oh my gosh I know. Like this sounds weird but I'm lowkey trying to enjoy this whole preparation process because it is essentially the most important exam of our careers.. it's going to make us doctors (or not:laugh:). And then I go back into my mindset that imma fail and the panic attacks come back LOL.

Also, definitely take your first FL this week! Even if you score lower than you'd like, it's okay. Use it to build stamina and learn from it. You got it!

haha I knowwww!! I'm right there with you. Thank you for the encouragement...I really need it!! We got this, peeps!

Don't forget to keep us in the loop of how things are going, I'll also post with my updates as soon as I have some lol

I have been scoring really low on Altius FL PS section, like 124-125. I've been really diligent about going over the results and making notes on questions and concepts that are totally foreign. Today I did the PS Section Bank and got 68%, and although I'm sure I can do better, considering the reputation of the SBs I feel like it's happening.

Now I think I will do the PS SB again "open book" (no solutions, just free access to wiki/Khan documents) and take copious notes on the unfamiliar. I test June 16 and I think PS is a high yield section especially for only ~2 weeks.

Are you all just plain memorizing metabolism charts? Seems like the most efficient way to learn this...I mean writing out all concepts seems like a lot of work.

Are you all just plain memorizing metabolism charts? Seems like the most efficient way to learn this...I mean writing out all concepts seems like a lot of work.

I made my own flash cards about a month ago for the metabolic reactions.. i review it every week and I got most of it down..and now just waiting for the best when the exam comes lol

Reactions: 2 users
I made my own flash cards about a month ago for the metabolic reactions.. i review it every week and I got most of it down..and now just waiting for the best when the exam comes lol

That really is a good idea. I have been memorizing the charts that are in the Kaplan BC book today. When I started reading, it just did not seem productive without having the charts down. Now, after memorizing quite a chunk, reading the sections makes so much more sense.

Good luck on your exam!!

I learn best from flashcards, so I made those over the past week and have been reviewing them everyday. Also writing them out on a white board has been useful lol. How detailed are you learning everything? I'm just going with the intermediates and the enzymes to make each, and when NADH, ATP, etc etc are produced? No need to learn the structures of things I hope?

That really is a good idea. I have been memorizing the charts that are in the Kaplan BC book today. When I started reading, it just did not seem productive without having the charts down. Now, after memorizing quite a chunk, reading the sections makes so much more sense.

Good luck on your exam!!
Omg I've also learned reading does jack for me!! It's far too passive. Too bad I started actively watching Khan videos only a week ago. I should've been doing that throughout my months of studying smh.

Also, does anyone here know if CARS Qpack 2 is too easy? I absolutely bombed QPack 1, but now I'm halfway thru 2 and at an 86%. My CARS score on the FLs also went from a 123 to 124 to 126 in the last 3 weeks. Idk if I should be relieved at the improvement (?) or worried that AAMC FL 3 and Qpack 2 are too easy and I'll resort back to my bombing of this section on Saturday...

Also, does anyone here know if CARS Qpack 2 is too easy? I absolutely bombed QPack 1, but now I'm halfway thru 2 and at an 86%. My CARS score on the FLs also went from a 123 to 124 to 126 in the last 3 weeks. Idk if I should be relieved at the improvement (?) or worried that AAMC FL 3 and Qpack 2 are too easy and I'll resort back to my bombing of this section on Saturday...

You did better on the AAMC FL 3 CARS? Did you mean it's easier than the other FLs?

You did better on the AAMC FL 3 CARS? Did you mean it's easier than the other FLs?
I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I found it to be more manageable than FL 1 for sure. FL 1 killed me idk why. From my perspective, I'd say 2 and 3 are about the same in terms of difficulty. But yes, I did better on 3.

I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I found it to be more manageable than FL 1 for sure. FL 1 killed me idk why. From my perspective, I'd say 2 and 3 are about the same in terms of difficulty. But yes, I did better on 3.

haha Have you ever considered that you might be improving?? That is really awesome! I totally get your skepticism though.. I started getting more questions right towards the end of CARS QPack 1 and thought that it must be easier lol

As far as metabolism goes, I'm trying to memorize the "main steps" and their enzymes (also irreversible steps). And I'm trying to think about the bigger picture...location of the mechanism, when does what take place, what inhibits it etc.. but def not learning all structures. It is going to take forever to learn JUST this already ugh

haha Have you ever considered that you might be improving?? That is really awesome! I totally get your skepticism though.. I started getting more questions right towards the end of CARS QPack 1 and thought that it must be easier lol

As far as metabolism goes, I'm trying to memorize the "main steps" and their enzymes (also irreversible steps). And I'm trying to think about the bigger picture...location of the mechanism, when does what take place, what inhibits it etc.. but def not learning all structures. It is going to take forever to learn JUST this already ugh

Hahahaha I love how whenever we start to get more things right we're all like hmm.. questions are easier it ain't me:rofl:

But ugh, yes I know. These last 3 days for me are straight memorization. Even though I feel like there's always more content to add but I don't think my brain can hold any more lol.

Hahahaha I love how whenever we start to get more things right we're all like hmm.. questions are easier it ain't me:rofl:

But ugh, yes I know. These last 3 days for me are straight memorization. Even though I feel like there's always more content to add but I don't think my brain can hold any more lol.

Understandable! It is so much material but YOU GOT THIS! Your scores are improving, that's amazing and I'm sure you will do great!

BTW: cross fingers for me, guys..taking my first FL today! I hope it won't crush my ego lol

DO NOT focus on content review with limited time between now and your exam. Focus on the test itself. By that I mean the kinds of critical-thinking questions it requires, the ability to digest DENSE aamc-style passages, the ability to make predictions or explain why something is happening (which requires more of a basic science understanding than anything you could memorize). There is a natural way to review content as-you-go while doing practice exams...just stop and review any science topics that appear on an exam IF you did not feel 100% confident with those topics.

If you go into battle with the MCAT you should have BOTH content mastery (hopefully more understanding than memorization) & EXTENSIVE practice with AAMC's unique style of critical-thinking/testing style. But, if you can have only one, you want the second skill. It is surprising how few of the AAMC questions actually require memorized content knowledge!

Finally, please DO NOT save all of the AAMC material to the end. That is one of the most foolish things students do on SDN. Most of the practice tests and study books out there DO NOT replicate the passage difficulty, experimental nature, or critical-thinking aspects of this exam. Thus, the exam you'll see on test day is quite different from what you've been practicing. The AAMC exams are your window into the "actual exam" and how it differs...so you want to expose yourself to that sooner, not later. There is certainly value in saving 1-2 full-length AAMC exams for diagnostic purposes close to your test date, but saving all of them is nonsense. If you were practicing for a baseball tournament and you knew that the actual bat you would use on game day was 31 ounces...but all your practice bats were 23 ounces...when would you want to see, experience, and practice with the 31-ounce bat? Probably very close to the important game, right? You'd want to practice with the inaccurate bat as long as possible, and "save" the actual 31-ounce bat until the last day or two...right? You get my point.

Take at least one full-length AAMC exam right away, and also do the AAMC Section Bank. That will leave three (3) AAMC full-lengths for closer to your exam day, which is plenty. But by taking AAMC questions ASAP you will become better educated as to what the real exam will be like...and better able to judge the inaccuracy of many commercial prep materials!

Reactions: 5 users
Understandable! It is so much material but YOU GOT THIS! Your scores are improving, that's amazing and I'm sure you will do great!

BTW: cross fingers for me, guys..taking my first FL today! I hope it won't crush my ego lol
Agh thank you so much!!! I hope so. And good luck to you! I’m sure youll kill it. Let us know how it goes!