*The Official MCAT June 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
June 2nd, 2018 here.

81 days until the test, here.

Let's rock, brothers and sisters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My thoughts on the June 2nd test.
- My C/P section felt like it was about 75% gen chem, with lots of calculations. There was almost no ochem and very little physics. Was a little pressed for time on this one but I normally is short on time in this section. Out of everything on test day, my score in this section is the only one that I am worried about.
- CARS, which is normally my strongest section, felt like there were a couple of particularly nasty passages with some really convoluted questions, but overall 7 of the passages were about spot on with the three AAMC FL's
- B/B: I felt like there was more ochem here than I normally see (good for me). The standard fare, high-yield topics were present in their normal percentages, along with the few "obscure" bio definitions. More calculations involved here than I think. A few obscure biochem knowledge questions as well but thankfully I found the topics curious enough the first time I learned about them to commit them to memory, even though I was never tested on them in the past.
- P/S: I never know with this section b/c I always felt like I did well on this section on practice tests but sometimes I didn't do well even though I felt fine. I had plenty of time and reviewed all questions that I was concerned about and changed a couple of answers. The questions in P/S seemed to be more extreme in their difficulty on the real thing. That is, the questions on the FL's seem to be all of similar difficulty but on the real thing a lot of the question were either really really easy (like there was no way you could pick the wrong answer) or super hard, where they asked you some finely nuanced detail about a theory that would never have been covered in a intro psych course, wasn't covered in the KA video's, and that you likely would only know if you have had upper division psych courses (which I have), and even then the distinctions were debatable.

In retrospect, my best advice is to know everything on the KA 300 page document inside and out and be able to give specific examples. P/S really is the easiest way to improve your score but I was more afraid of getting a bad score in C/P so I neglected P/S until the very end. I also crushed the P/S section bank questions but the FL's and real thing did not seem to be representative of the SB Q's. As a matter of fact, I would say the SB was much harder than the real thing for all 3 sections and I spent a lot of time trying to understand the really complex questions in the SB instead of focusing on how to do basic gen chem calculations fast and efficiently.
Thank you! This is sooo helpful. I am also working on timing right now.

How did you guys approach things that need to be memorized? I wonder if it makes sense to devote a specific amount of time every day to flashcards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! This is sooo helpful. I am also working on timing right now.

How did you guys approach things that need to be memorized? I wonder if it makes sense to devote a specific amount of time every day to flashcards?

I think the best thing is to go through the KA videos and just make notes on the stuff you are unfamiliar with, and then make some type of device to remember it so that you don't have to use rote memorization. For example, I link electron emission with the letters "EENP" and think "eeek, a nurse practitioner (NP) is taking your job you worked so hard for", lol. Now I have a scenario in my mind that I won't forget or jumble up the letters. EENP = Electron Emission, Neutron -> Proton, "EENP"

If you ask me about electron emission in 3 years, I will still know the answer to it. The thing is, there is too much material for rote memorization. You need to find a way to pin down the pertinent stuff so that you don't have to keep studying it. Another method is to get in and really visualize the material. Take a stick/ball model kit and build a citrate molecule. Then change it to isocitrate. Does it still have the same # of carbons? What changed? For me, I see that the OH got moved from "the middle of the line to to the end of the line". He basically got "con'd out of his spot" in line. What enzyme would do such a thing? Why, aconitase of course. The components of the citric acid cycle should become like the stars of your favorite TV show, each with their own personality and story. Would you easily forget what your favorite character did in a movie you loved, even years later after cramming for the mcat? Likely not.

Reactions: 1 user
So I’ve been reviewing the Kaplan books and I have done one fl of TPR. I didn’t get the AAMC full package to prepare because I couldn’t afford it. But I am buying three AAMC FL and taking one on Monday and then each week after that. I test on 6/29. I am almost finished going through the biochem book for Kaplan and working my way through the others. Is it going to kill me that I don’t have all the resources that you guys keep referring to?
One thing you could try is reading journal articles on PubMed and practice interpreting the graphs... that's basically what the MCAT is: content and experimental analysis

... What enzyme would do such a thing? Why, aconitase of course. The components of the citric acid cycle should become like the stars of your favorite TV show, each with their own personality and story...

hilarious...I love it.

One thing you could try is reading journal articles on PubMed and practice interpreting the graphs... that's basically what the MCAT is: content and experimental analysis

great idea...except I can't seem to come up with questions about the work that are as convoluted as AAMC. you're right though, familiarity with the various ways data is presented and analyzed is very helpful!!!

Who here is June 29th and freaking out? It's coming up so soon! and why do I still feel uneasy instead of confident?? :bang:

Who here is June 29th and freaking out? It's coming up so soon! and why do I still feel uneasy instead of confident?? :bang:

I am June 29th!!! I’m dreading it as each day gets closer and at the same time, I want it to be over so bad.

I am June 29th!!! I’m dreading it as each day gets closer and at the same time, I want it to be over so bad.

I'm magically trying to will each day to be longer than 24 hours lol how many practice tests did you take so far? and how are you doing on them? I'm most worried about my test scores

I think the best thing is to go through the KA videos and just make notes on the stuff you are unfamiliar with, and then make some type of device to remember it so that you don't have to use rote memorization. For example, I link electron emission with the letters "EENP" and think "eeek, a nurse practitioner (NP) is taking your job you worked so hard for", lol. Now I have a scenario in my mind that I won't forget or jumble up the letters. EENP = Electron Emission, Neutron -> Proton, "EENP"

If you ask me about electron emission in 3 years, I will still know the answer to it. The thing is, there is too much material for rote memorization. You need to find a way to pin down the pertinent stuff so that you don't have to keep studying it. Another method is to get in and really visualize the material. Take a stick/ball model kit and build a citrate molecule. Then change it to isocitrate. Does it still have the same # of carbons? What changed? For me, I see that the OH got moved from "the middle of the line to to the end of the line". He basically got "con'd out of his spot" in line. What enzyme would do such a thing? Why, aconitase of course. The components of the citric acid cycle should become like the stars of your favorite TV show, each with their own personality and story. Would you easily forget what your favorite character did in a movie you loved, even years later after cramming for the mcat? Likely not.
Absolutely love this!! Thank you!!

Hey fellow June 2018 MCAT test takers,

So I need some advice.

These are the full lengths I have done in this order:

NS FL 1 = 505
NS FL 2 = 504
NS FL 3 = 503
NS FL 4 = 504
AAMC FL 2 = 502 (timing issues, but found most questions to be doable)
AAMC Sample = 64%/72%/73%/78% (71% averaged between the four sections)

At this point, I realized that I needed to brush up on quick C/P calculations. I used UWorld MCAT passages to get as much exposure and practice as I could, and then took these two FLs:

AAMC FL 3 = 509 (127-126-128-128)
NS FL 5 = 505

I personally find the NS tests to be harder, but I'm not sure what the consensus is.

Plan on taking AAMC FL 1 on the weekend before my tests, and have finished the Section Banks (twice), all the question packs, and the official guide questions.

What should I do in this last stretch? My aim is to get a 509-510 on the MCAT. Am I in a bad spot?

I'm magically trying to will each day to be longer than 24 hours lol how many practice tests did you take so far? and how are you doing on them? I'm most worried about my test scores

I daydream about time on the exam going 0.5x but, no one notices because it is only specific to you and it still ends up being 7.5 hours (felt like 15).

Sent from my iPhone

Hey fellow June 2018 MCAT test takers,

So I need some advice.

These are the full lengths I have done in this order:

NS FL 1 = 505
NS FL 2 = 504
NS FL 3 = 503
NS FL 4 = 504
AAMC FL 2 = 502 (timing issues, but found most questions to be doable)
AAMC Sample = 64%/72%/73%/78% (71% averaged between the four sections)

At this point, I realized that I needed to brush up on quick C/P calculations. I used UWorld MCAT passages to get as much exposure and practice as I could, and then took these two FLs:

AAMC FL 3 = 509 (127-126-128-128)
NS FL 5 = 505

I personally find the NS tests to be harder, but I'm not sure what the consensus is.

Plan on taking AAMC FL 1 on the weekend before my tests, and have finished the Section Banks (twice), all the question packs, and the official guide questions.

What should I do in this last stretch? My aim is to get a 509-510 on the MCAT. Am I in a bad spot?

My target happens to be 509.

Sent from my iPhone

Members don't see this ad :)

My tests have been rough so far. I haven’t made it through all of my review material yet and I just bought the physics Question pack to strengthen that because that’s where I’m losing most of my points. I took 1 TPR and got a 490 and again on the AAMC FL1. I have test anxiety so being calm kills my judgement. How are you doing?

How many chapters do you all manage to work on per day? Usually I don't do more than 2, maybe 3 per day plus practice. I feel like I am not being very efficient with time management lol

How many chapters do you all manage to work on per day? Usually I don't do more than 2, maybe 3 per day plus practice. I feel like I am not being very efficient with time management lol

Usually I was doing 2-3 but last week I blew through the biochem book and my B/B section went up. But my Cars went down. So this week I’m focusing on physics calculations because I’m really weak with them. Idk, one day at a time I guess

Usually I was doing 2-3 but last week I blew through the biochem book and my B/B section went up. But my Cars went down. So this week I’m focusing on physics calculations because I’m really weak with them. Idk, one day at a time I guess

Me too. I'm super weak on Physics as well. I want to focus more on it, but I just feel like GenChem and Biochem are a much bigger part of the exam. If I'm not solid on those, Physics won't save me either :( No idea how to manage my time properly with this. Maybe I'll throw in a Physics chapter/day or something? When are you testing?

My tests have been rough so far. I haven’t made it through all of my review material yet and I just bought the physics Question pack to strengthen that because that’s where I’m losing most of my points. I took 1 TPR and got a 490 and again on the AAMC FL1. I have test anxiety so being calm kills my judgement. How are you doing?

I have test anxiety too, and that's what kills me on time. I'm trying to get that under control these last few weeks, and I plan to do about 6-8 more exams. I'm not really sure how I'm doing tbh, this is a retake for me so I already did all the AAMC material twice and they are not accurate indicators for me. I am saving AAMC FL 3 until next week, so then I'll really know. Right now thought, I'm at around 507 on the Altius FLs :unsure: I don't do their CARS though (I substitute JW or UW tests instead), so I've been estimating the CARS score as around a 125-126.

I have test anxiety too, and that's what kills me on time. I'm trying to get that under control these last few weeks, and I plan to do about 6-8 more exams. I'm not really sure how I'm doing tbh, this is a retake for me so I already did all the AAMC material twice and they are not accurate indicators for me. I am saving AAMC FL 3 until next week, so then I'll really know. Right now thought, I'm at around 507 on the Altius FLs :unsure: I don't do their CARS though (I substitute JW or UW tests instead), so I've been estimating the CARS score as around a 125-126.

I think that sounds good, considering that you still have time to practice. 507 is where I want to be when I sit for my exam.

I think that sounds good, considering that you still have time to practice. 507 is where I want to be when I sit for my exam.

I am aiming for a 513 though, so idk how Altius correlates to the real thing. Is it inflated, deflated...I have no idea. When's your exam?

I am aiming for a 513 though, so idk how Altius correlates to the real thing. Is it inflated, deflated...I have no idea. When's your exam?

I'm not sure...but I read around here that a lot of test prep companies' scores are deflated. So hopefully that's the case for Altius as well :)
I'm sitting for my test on June 30, took my first FL last week (Kaplan FL#2) and scored a 500..not sure what that correlates to, that's why I'm taking an AAMC exam this week. So so nervous about it because I really do not want to push my exam date

BIG mistake wasting your AAMC FLs when you having taken a ton of FLs and gotten your scores improving.

BIG mistake wasting your AAMC FLs when you having taken a ton of FLs and gotten your scores improving.

Why is it a waste? I thought the idea was to take as many as possible and to learn from them as well as improving stamina. I have 5 starts on AAMC FL1. I was planning to take it 5 times until moving on to the second and third FL. I’m also working on the physics question pack right now and I’ll finish that before I take another one.

I originally wasn’t taking any until I finished content review but after getting advice on here, I was told to start taking them now and get as many in as possible. Any advice you can give is appreciated. Thank you!

You can retake AAMC FLs for practice (I took all 3 twice.) Once you take the FL a retake is not accurate as far as score goes.

Best bet is to take third party practice exams and review them while working through the qpacks and then the section banks.
As you get closer to test date you should start to take the AAMC FLs this gives you an accurate score of what your getting into.
Assess your weak errors here during the last 2 or so weeks and continue the review and FLs of all AAMC material.

You can retake AAMC FLs for practice (I took all 3 twice.) Once you take the FL a retake is not accurate as far as score goes.

Best bet is to take third party practice exams and review them while working through the qpacks and then the section banks.
As you get closer to test date you should start to take the AAMC FLs this gives you an accurate score of what your getting into.
Assess your weak errors here during the last 2 or so weeks and continue the review and FLs of all AAMC material.

Okay, I was going to use FL1 as my practice one and keep redoing it while reviewing. And then use FL2 and 3 as real practice to compare with the 490 that I got basically in the beginning of studying. I don’t have extra money to buy other FLs unfortunately but I believe I have two more in my TPR bundle that came with my books so I will be sure to utilize those first.

Guys...I'm really scared. :( Officially 10 days left until I sit. I am so behind. Gonna take first FL this Saturday.

Testing in ten days as well. Shooting for a 515+ if this CARS doesn't destroy me.

NS 1 (as a diagnostic): 509 (129/125/128/127)
NS 2: 510 (129/126/128/127)
NS 3 (BRUTAL- and I have a strong background in the sciences) 507 (128/124/128/127)
AAMC FL 1: 507 (128/123/128/126) I HATE CARS (made terrible mistakes on the sciences)
AAMC FL 2: 509 (130/122/130/127) I REALLY HATE CARS

Taking FL 3 this week after I do some focused CARS prep. I have learned to cut down on bad mistakes I'm making such as reading questions/ answers too quickly and picking true answers that don't fit.

How the heck do I get my CARS up that many points in 10 days?! I did the q pack and got a 79%. Working on 2, but I feel it's too easy compared to some of the FL passages. HALP!!!!

Testing in ten days as well. Shooting for a 515+ if this CARS doesn't destroy me.

NS 1 (as a diagnostic): 509 (129/125/128/127)
NS 2: 510 (129/126/128/127)
NS 3 (BRUTAL- and I have a strong background in the sciences) 507 (128/124/128/127)
AAMC FL 1: 507 (128/123/128/126) I HATE CARS (made terrible mistakes on the sciences)
AAMC FL 2: 509 (130/122/130/127) I REALLY HATE CARS

Taking FL 3 this week after I do some focused CARS prep. I have learned to cut down on bad mistakes I'm making such as reading questions/ answers too quickly and picking true answers that don't fit.

How the heck do I get my CARS up that many points in 10 days?! I did the q pack and got a 79%. Working on 2, but I feel it's too easy compared to some of the FL passages. HALP!!!!

May i ask what your preparation was for each section? Did you focus much on content review?

Because I did not want to take one without reviewing content first. Was that stupid of me? I have been doing practice passages in the meantime.

You just need the MCAT score for your SMP right? I think you'll be fine, since you're not aiming to apply to medical schools this cycle.

Guys...I'm really scared. :( Officially 10 days left until I sit. I am so behind. Gonna take first FL this Saturday.

I hope you will do well on Saturday! :) If not, you can still take it at a later date. I don't recommend taking it when you're not ready yet.

You just need the MCAT score for your SMP right? I think you'll be fine, since you're not aiming to apply to medical schools this cycle.

Good memory! Yes, I need to have scores submitted to them asap and was late in my decision to attend this fall. I wish I had more time, the style of MCAT questions are actually quite enjoyable and fun. Got an 86% on B/B section bank. If I had one more month, I am certain a 520+ would be possible. Im nervous about what my first FL will say. Maybe I will move it to this Friday. I wanna take all 4 AAMC FL, and do all AAMC material by next Sat.

Good memory! Yes, I need to have scores submitted to them asap and was late in my decision to attend this fall. I wish I had more time, the style of MCAT questions are actually quite enjoyable and fun. Got an 86% on B/B section bank. If I had one more month, I am certain a 520+ would be possible. Im nervous about what my first FL will say. Maybe I will move it to this Friday. I wanna take all 4 AAMC FL, and do all AAMC material by next Sat.

if you believe in your heart of hearts that 520 is possible within a month, reschedule. the desire to "get it over with" is real, but thecomposer of the future will be in much better shape if thecomposer of now pays a little more money and spends a little more time getting a single, excellent MCAT score.

May i ask what your preparation was for each section? Did you focus much on content review?

Most of my content review has been through ample practice questions. I started with TBR for passages but they just didn't feel the same compared to aamc. I did learn some decent reasoning skills though. There were a few topics I couldn't remember so I used KA videos on hyper speed and google to refresh. If I get something wrong I'll immediately go relearn it. This is for CP and BB.

P/S is still a work in progress. I have Kaplan flash cards and I know just about all the terms/theories there. The ones I miss on the tests are on new stuff that I've never seen before but I don't use proper test taking skills to eliminate answers I know are wrong. Also I tend to pick answers that are true but don't really answer the question. I make similar mistakes on CARS just x31 lol. I know I can break 130 on the PS. I narrow it down to 50/50 but pick the wrong one.

I scored in the mid 70s on the 3 section banks. The BB was extra brutal having had known specific enzymes in pathways and intermediate structures. I think I could crack 520 if somehow I could miraculously bring up my cars score 8 points in ten days.

If this score is a result of a timed practice? Then that would be an amazing score for the section bank and I wonder how well you could do if you had more time!

Most of my content review has been through ample practice questions. I started with TBR for passages but they just didn't feel the same compared to aamc. I did learn some decent reasoning skills though. There were a few topics I couldn't remember so I used KA videos on hyper speed and google to refresh. If I get something wrong I'll immediately go relearn it. This is for CP and BB.

P/S is still a work in progress. I have Kaplan flash cards and I know just about all the terms/theories there. The ones I miss on the tests are on new stuff that I've never seen before but I don't use proper test taking skills to eliminate answers I know are wrong. Also I tend to pick answers that are true but don't really answer the question. I make similar mistakes on CARS just x31 lol. I know I can break 130 on the PS. I narrow it down to 50/50 but pick the wrong one.

I scored in the mid 70s on the 3 section banks. The BB was extra brutal having had known specific enzymes in pathways and intermediate structures. I think I could crack 520 if somehow I could miraculously bring up my cars score 8 points in ten days.

Are you eliminating extreme answer choices? Those are wrong answer choices most of the time!! Maybe that helps with a few points :) I also mark sections where the author changes/states his opinion and write down the major argument after reading the passage. That helps tremendously! Especially when you get a strengthen/weaken question

if you believe in your heart of hearts that 520 is possible within a month, reschedule. the desire to "get it over with" is real, but thecomposer of the future will be in much better shape if thecomposer of now pays a little more money and spends a little more time getting a single, excellent MCAT score.
If i score below an average of 510 on my FLs, what you describe is my (tentatively unfortunate) plan. It's just that I have spent so much money on these apps and so much effort cramming everything in to meet deadlines, w/ my MCAT being the only thing I'm missing, that I have to unfortunately kill myself to get at least a 505+ instead of the 520+ that my gut tells me I'm capable of w/ more time.

Since I have a 3.1 gpa (due to mother fighting terminal cancer), an SMP is my only route...Unless you think a 520+ will save me and I can apply MD directly. I just dont want to lose an extra year.

Thank you so much for the detail! It is super helpful and makes me want to just switch to practice, fully, asap.
I haven't taken physics or psych or soc in over 4 years, so I am basically reteaching myself everything. Your post gives me hope, but I will try to finish all that I can by this Friday and just shift full force to practice.

Poll: Is doing 1 AAMC FL a day, every day, back to back, before exam day crazy? It's only 7.5hrs..I spend 15hrs a day studying anyway. Thoughts?

If this score is a result of a timed practice? Then that would be an amazing score for the section bank and I wonder how well you could do if you had more time!

Yep! I did the section bank for B/B timed. And it isn't that hard actually. It is experimental heavy and I do research full time, and have read way too many research papers in depth.

If my B/B section on test day is ANYTHING like the section bank (experimental heavy), I will cry from happiness.

Yep! I did the section bank for B/B timed. And it isn't that hard actually. It is experimental heavy and I do research full time, and have read way too many research papers in depth.

If my B/B section on test day is ANYTHING like the section bank (experimental heavy), I will cry from happiness.
I have heard that it is :)

I have heard that it is :)

Mine was not. I had a couple of "research heavy" passages similar to the SB but most of the questions involved knowing basic definitions of tons of stuff. Imagine you were taking a bio II cumulative final (for both bio I and II) and your professor said that 50% or more of the questions will be on basic definitions, but you will need to extrapolate the question about what definition is being asked for by reading a passage. That is what my B/B section was like. I've learned over time that most of the "research" questions are simply if you can tell if something is statistically significant, has a negative or positive correlation, etc.

Mine was not. I had a couple of "research heavy" passages similar to the SB but most of the questions involved knowing basic definitions of tons of stuff. Imagine you were taking a bio II cumulative final (for both bio I and II) and your professor said that 50% or more of the questions will be on basic definitions, but you will need to extrapolate the question about what definition is being asked for by reading a passage. That is what my B/B section was like. I've learned over time that most of the "research" questions are simply if you can tell if something is statistically significant, has a negative or positive correlation, etc.

Thank you @esob!! I just thought it would help out @Thecomposer as some people on SDN were saying it was. For me personally, a bio cumulative would be easier to do than spending tons of minutes just figuring out graphs.

Thank you so much for the detail! It is super helpful and makes me want to just switch to practice, fully, asap.
I haven't taken physics or psych or soc in over 4 years, so I am basically reteaching myself everything. Your post gives me hope, but I will try to finish all that I can by this Friday and just shift full force to practice.

Poll: Is doing 1 AAMC FL a day, every day, back to back, before exam day crazy? It's only 7.5hrs..I spend 15hrs a day studying anyway. Thoughts?

Dr. Lewin's MIT physics lectures have helped me so much to review basic physics concepts. I recommend them on hyper speed.

Def switch to practice mode as fast as you can and learn the stuff in context especially through passages. I'm not sure about your idea to do the FLs like that. Don't burn out!

What is your strategy for getting thru the really tough experimental passages? Could you describe how you approach it step by step? Like do you read the passage slowly, skim through the figures first and go directly to questions, etc...

Did yours have a lot of metabolism questions on it?

June 16 test date here.

It's very frustrating that I've rescheduled my exam multiple times and I still don't feel prepared. I feel so burned out sometimes.

Does anyone find it difficult doing more than 60 practice questions a day? I started the question packs 2 weeks ago and I'm still working through them. Initially I told myself I would 100 questions a day but man that is way easier said than done.

June 16 test date here.

It's very frustrating that I've rescheduled my exam multiple times and I still don't feel prepared. I feel so burned out sometimes.

Does anyone find it difficult doing more than 60 practice questions a day? I started the question packs 2 weeks ago and I'm still working through them. Initially I told myself I would 100 questions a day but man that is way easier said than done.

I'm right there with you...I feel like I have poor focus and that's really not where I want to be so close to my exam date! How are you doing on the practice materials and FLs?