The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally this thread is rising! Been here since late June. Started the 4 month Sn2ed plan in July but turned out that month was pretty busy for me lol. I only got about 13 days in, so in August I started a modified 3 months plan. Here we go! o_O

So, I did Day 3 of a modified schedule based on SN2Ed's today. Not too bad, I wouldn't say.

I took my first 3 VR passages today and got 11/17 correct. Is anyone else getting the same?
I was pretty proud of that because I got over 50% correct (yes, this is a big feat for me).
I will go over them tomorrow.

Also, did OChem, and studied pretty hard on it. The sections I did today only had 8 questions and of the 8 I only missed 2. So, 6/8 correct. I was also pretty proud of this. I have no idea how I made it out of OChem, and especially how I made it out with a B.

Biology 1 is tomorrow! Woo!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which source were you using for the VR passages? I kinda been doing some full VR practices tests from TBR ( because didn't have the TPR workbook, just in came in actually) and gotten around 7 average...it is definitely my weakest point.

Yay for bio; my favorite days lol.

So, I did Day 3 of a modified schedule based on SN2Ed's today. Not too bad, I wouldn't say.

I took my first 3 VR passages today and got 11/17 correct. Is anyone else getting the same?
I was pretty proud of that because I got over 50% correct (yes, this is a big feat for me).
I will go over them tomorrow.

Also, did OChem, and studied pretty hard on it. The sections I did today only had 8 questions and of the 8 I only missed 2. So, 6/8 correct. I was also pretty proud of this. I have no idea how I made it out of OChem, and especially how I made it out with a B.

Biology 1 is tomorrow! Woo!

just completed day 4 of sn2ed!! man this is going to be a tough journey but I have faith in all of us that we will emerge victorious. #letsgettitt

also @PhysicsFailure why the self defeating username? pretty sure after you're done with TBR and with our help you're gonna have to change it to PhysicsMaster or PhysicsQueen? haha

Which source were you using for the VR passages? I kinda been doing some full VR practices tests from TBR ( because didn't have the TPR workbook, just in came in actually) and gotten around 7 average...it is definitely my weakest point.

Yay for bio; my favorite days lol.

I am using EK 101 right now. I did 3 more passages today and went from 70.5% correct to 72.2% correct. And using those scores to come up with a scales score it was a 9 both days. I'm sure I will get better over time... Hopefully. Haha.

I started late today on bio because church, so I am still working on it. Ahhhh, I need to go to the early service next time.

just completed day 4 of sn2ed!! man this is going to be a tough journey but I have faith in all of us that we will emerge victorious. #letsgettitt

also @PhysicsFailure why the self defeating username? pretty sure after you're done with TBR and with our help you're gonna have to change it to PhysicsMaster or PhysicsQueen? haha

Aha, I can only hope! I'm still working on this day 4. I started too late because of church, yikes. I have to push through! We can do it!!

I am using EK 101 right now. I did 3 more passages today and went from 70.5% correct to 72.2% correct. And using those scores to come up with a scales score it was a 9 both days. I'm sure I will get better over time... Hopefully. Haha.

I started late today on bio because church, so I am still working on it. Ahhhh, I need to go to the early service next time.

Thats good already! Yeah hopefully, I really want to score in the 10-11 range on the real thing... or even better than that lol. Just need to practice, practice, practice.

Idk but for me I have been noticing I have better concentration during the day....which is weird because in undergrad I would always study at night. Today I started Ochem Ch2 late (just finishing up right now) Now I am kinda grateful my organic lab professor put so much emphasis on IR & HNMR but man did I hate it back then haha

Oh no! That scares me! If there is one thing I made sure not to learn... It was IR and NMR. This will be interesting... Haha. I have 5 pages left for bio, but that can wait until tomorrow for sure!

Lol not to worry; TBR gives an excruciating amount of detail (as usual) so I'm sure you will get the hang of it. So far I've gotten entire passages correct, or missed 1-2 questions which I'm pretty happy with :)

Definitely but just be sure to not fall behind! It can happen very easily...speaking from personal experience lol.

Just curious, how many hours do you allot for sleeping?
i am in bed anywhere between 10 and 1030 and i get up at 550 to shower, shave, prep my meals, and head out the door by 725 to make it to work around 750. i could probably get up about 15 minutes later, but i have my morning routine and that includes jumping on the computer for a bit. i'm not really the person who can just wake up and immediately start working or whatever. i suppose that will have to change considering my career goals haha.

Lol not to worry; TBR gives an excruciating amount of detail (as usual) so I'm sure you will get the hang of it. So far I've gotten entire passages correct, or missed 1-2 questions which I'm pretty happy with :)

Definitely but just be sure to not fall behind! It can happen very easily...speaking from personal experience lol.

This is embarrassing, but I am not using TBR, only EK. Do you think that is okay??

i am in bed anywhere between 10 and 1030 and i get up at 550 to shower, shave, prep my meals, and head out the door by 725 to make it to work around 750. i could probably get up about 15 minutes later, but i have my morning routine and that includes jumping on the computer for a bit. i'm not really the person who can just wake up and immediately start working or whatever. i suppose that will have to change considering my career goals haha.

Oh man, I am so not a morning person. Never have been, but I better get with the program now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, I am so not a morning person. Never have been, but I better get with the program now!
incorporate it slowly and it will stick. go to bed 10 minutes earlier and/or get up 10 minutes early and then bump it up by 10 minutes every week. it will be hardly noticeable.

This is embarrassing, but I am not using TBR, only EK. Do you think that is okay??

Well I guess depends on your background and confident you are with the subjects. EK is more straight to the point but TBR gives you more detail, which overall is why many people prefer it. But it all depends on what works best for you! Is EK the only thing you are using?

Well I guess depends on your background and confident you are with the subjects. EK is more straight to the point but TBR gives you more detail, which overall is why many people prefer it. But it all depends on what works best for you! Is EK the only thing you are using?

Yeah! EK full set, EK 1001's all, and EK 101, TPRH VW, and I think that's it. This might be a pitfall on my behalf though.

Yeah! EK full set, EK 1001's all, and EK 101, TPRH VW, and I think that's it. This might be a pitfall on my behalf though.

did you take a diagnostic test from a third party like TPR or TBR? it's good to do those first and assess your weak areas. EK is good but not the best resource for physical sciences. If you have a weakness in phyiscs, I'd suggest the berkeley review. for Bio, EK only goes over what you need to know which is not bad but you never know what can show up on test day. I'm currently using TPR bio and it goes into so much detail but I like it that way because it helps boost my confidence that I'll know every topic that can show up come test day.

did you take a diagnostic test from a third party like TPR or TBR? it's good to do those first and assess your weak areas. EK is good but not the best resource for physical sciences. If you have a weakness in phyiscs, I'd suggest the berkeley review. for Bio, EK only goes over what you need to know which is not bad but you never know what can show up on test day. I'm currently using TPR bio and it goes into so much detail but I like it that way because it helps boost my confidence that I'll know every topic that can show up come test day.

I took like a diagnostic (AAMC) or something before any studying to see where I was and scored 22 (6/8/8). The tutor I am with through Next Step suggested these to me after seeing my results. I did get a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Physics" because as my s/n suggests, it's going to be a long journey. >_< haha. I may end up getting another series, but I'm just testing the waters for now. I just can't imagine spending anymore money.

I dont even think we can apply this cycle. I thought last day to take MCAT for this cycle is in September? Anyways yeah I'm applying next cycle....which also means two years off for me.

Reactions: 1 users
My plan had always been graduate 4 years, take the MCAT, then Peace Corps. So far I can check two off (well one is a work in progress ) that list but I just don't think I am applying to Peace Corps anymore...I am worried some schools may not accept the old MCAT. I know it is good for 3 years (which is why it worked great with my plan) but I have heard that some schools may just accept the old MCAT for next cycle and thats it. Any thoughts?

My plan had always been graduate 4 years, take the MCAT, then Peace Corps. So far I can check two off (well one is a work in progress ) that list but I just don't think I am applying to Peace Corps anymore...I am worried some schools may not accept the old MCAT. I know it is good for 3 years (which is why it worked great with my plan) but I have heard that some schools may just accept the old MCAT for next cycle and thats it. Any thoughts?

I would check your desired school's bulletin. That's what I did. They said they would honor the old MCAT for the next 3 years, for sure, at my school of choice.

Hey guys im already in the schedule one month ... Just saying it gets easier and keep at it ... Im currently doing all book 2 now for TBR

Y'all! I am so excited, I just had to tell someone! After having tried to learn physics in the spring, and ending every session in tears (literally, my boyfriend would have to hold me to calm me down). I FINALLY UNDERSTAND PROJECTILE MOTION! Huge accomplishment!!! :)))))

Keep going strong, y'all! If I can understand projectile motion, you can conquer the world! :happy::kiss::biglove:

Y'all! I am so excited, I just had to tell someone! After having tried to learn physics in the spring, and ending every session in tears (literally, my boyfriend would have to hold me to calm me down). I FINALLY UNDERSTAND PROJECTILE MOTION! Huge accomplishment!!! :)))))

Keep going strong, y'all! If I can understand projectile motion, you can conquer the world! :happy::kiss::biglove:
Dont worry this chapter gave me the hardest time but after you do the schedule for a bit everything gets alot harder but easier at the same time if that makes sense.. Your ability to dissect questions will increase and projectile motion will seem like child play... I actually hated PS coming into this but now its my favorite subject hands down !!

Hey guys im already in the schedule one month ... Just saying it gets easier and keep at it ... Im currently doing all book 2 now for TBR

wow I'm only on day 6. might have to modify it somehow because I'm definitely not postponing my date. Good thing is there are some topics that I'm pretty strong on....ugh wish I started earlier. :bang:

wow I'm only on day 6. might have to modify it somehow because I'm definitely not postponing my date. Good thing is there are some topics that I'm pretty strong on....ugh wish I started earlier. :bang:
Dont worry you have more than enough time .. Just try to just in the mood of the schedule after a while you will love it... I hated every minute of studying at first NOW I CANNOT GO A MINUTE WITHOUT MISSING MY TBR BOOKS!! I know i got Stockholm syndrome !

Reactions: 2 users
consistently scoring 65-70% on TBR passages so far..ugh kinda frustrated, hope to get better by next week. Also for anyone doing the EK Bio 30-min in class exams, do you finish with still 14 minutes to go? I did the first lecture exam and I know this was easy but it only took me 12-13 mins..

Ek are normally really easy .. I stop doing them. And your TBR passage percentage is just about the average it will increase. Most people didnt even see a increase, It okay to get things wrong because it is made to be harder than the real thing so when you do the MCAT you are already familiar with difficult questions ... These passages are more about learning than getting right answers. Thats what the 3/3 , SA and Fl are for!!

Ek are normally really easy .. I stop doing them. And your TBR passage percentage is just about the average it will increase. Most people didnt even see a increase, It okay to get things wrong because it is made to be harder than the real thing so when you do the MCAT you are already familiar with difficult questions ... These passages are more about learning than getting right answers. Thats what the 3/3 , SA and Fl are for!!

but I should do all of the EK 1001 problems anyway right? to enforce the content. Also do you use the TPRH science workbook? if so how useful do you think it is?

but I should do all of the EK 1001 problems anyway right? to enforce the content. Also do you use the TPRH science workbook? if so how useful do you think it is?
A lot of times when I did the EK 1001 problems I would feel discouraged (especially for physics) because it just solely based on your own knowledge. I do better by focusing on the passages (especially for PS) but I think I should continue doing them to enforce content like you said.

Anyways I am on day 13! I also felt EK Bio was way easy lol but I like the pictures :)

Wooo :) I started out really crappy with physics, but slowly improving as well! We can do this!!

TPRH science work book all day son!!! EK 1001 is meh .. Can skip it if you want to

It's not organized by topic though. do you have to randomly search like a hundred pages for lets say passages on thermodynamics? I don't know how to use this book

Pay me back by getting awesome grades! and sharing the love when you start getting into the schedule more!

I have found that when completing my VR, I am relying on previous knowledge to answer questions instead of taking the passage for exactly what it is. Do y'all have this problem? If so, how do you deal with this?

I am also frustrated because my scores were like 9, 9, 7, 4 (yikes!!). I am only doing 3 passages per day, then using a proportion to estimate an approximate scaled score. Maybe I am trying too hard? Sounds dumb, I know.

I have found that when completing my VR, I am relying on previous knowledge to answer questions instead of taking the passage for exactly what it is. Do y'all have this problem? If so, how do you deal with this?

I am also frustrated because my scores were like 9, 9, 7, 4 (yikes!!). I am only doing 3 passages per day, then using a proportion to estimate an approximate scaled score. Maybe I am trying too hard? Sounds dumb, I know.

Before doing a passage I usually tell myself that everything I need is in the passage itself!! try to trick yourself into being really interested in the subject of the passage and read each paragraph with the main idea in mind and how each paragraph contributes to the author's central theme. Approach it systematically but don't try to speed read, Ive made that mistake too many times and ended up with poor results.

Also taking the Nov 7th test! Just a quick question for you guys--I have all the TPR, TBR, and EK books. When doing content review, are you guys using all three sets of books simultaneously? As in reading them and answering the questions that follow each chapter?

Also taking the Nov 7th test! Just a quick question for you guys--I have all the TPR, TBR, and EK books. When doing content review, are you guys using all three sets of books simultaneously? As in reading them and answering the questions that follow each chapter?
Thats a bit too much in my opinion . I would stick to TBR for everything except Bio content . That means using TBR for everything PS and orgo and only Bio for practice passages.. I use EK for Bio review along with TPR bio. TPR work book has tons of good practice you should use as well .. So to summarize from my experience. TBR is the best especially if you are not strong in content , and it will be the only source you really need to do well . The time wasted reading all 3 type of books can be better spent on doing more practice problems ... But that being said studying for this exam is really a personal journey, so do what feels best for you... Good luck!

I'm following the SN2ed schedule
currently on day 7 but playing a little catch up because of the immense workload so far! As for the books, you have to test and see which one is best suited to your style of learning. TBR goes in depth which I like since I feel stupid if I don't know every single detail. I've read the TPR books and they're good but again not suitable for me because I'm a detail oriented person. While I don't own the EK subject books, the general consensus here is that they only scratch the surface of the concepts and are for people who don't have a solid background in the pre-reqs. The EK 1001 books I'd highly recommend because they drill the content into your head.

Yep I do TBR exclusively but when im done with all my books which will be in a few weeks .. I will be rotating between TPR and TBR to drill in the info into my head .. Chad videos are awesome as well ... Wiki premed has really great physics flash cards which I would put my name behind they are great (alot of people in the 30+ thread also like them)

Im thinking about getting a one-month subscription to Chads videos. Debating what month to get it...Im on day 17 and feel okay BS but a little less okay with PS -definitely my weakness right now. So should I get the subscription now? Or wait till month 2? or even wait till month 3 as a reinforcer/back up? Idk if any of you have used them thus far.

I love his videos .. I think the earlier you get them the better .. Because they are just teaching you the basics .. And doesnt really go as deep as you need later on in the schedule .. They are nice to reach before doing a chapter .. But after reading though a chapter and doing practice passages his videos doesnt really do much .. So to help you understand a new topic he is great thats why I did the one month subscription and watch him before content review everyday