The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, it helped very much! I just have one more question - did you use up all your AAMC FL's while preparing for the the MCAT the first time you took it? I've used up on all of mine and though I might retake some of AAMC's FLs, I'm not going to really depend on the score I get because it'll be inflated. So I was hoping the Berkeley Review would be a good indicator of my Physical and Biological sciences scores. As for verbal, I have EK 101 & TPRH Hyperlearning verbal and still have quite a few passages left for both of them so I'm definitely planning on using them :)

Same dilema here. I used all of my full lengths so I'm just planning on using them for stamina building.

It would be awesome if someone could suggest some good full lengths to purchase.

Same dilema here. I used all of my full lengths so I'm just planning on using them for stamina building.

It would be awesome if someone could suggest some good full lengths to purchase.
I really think Kaplan exams are an EXCELLENT source for MCAT practice.

I did Kaplan 1-6 as well as AAMCs but I also did a lot of Kaplan Section Tests for VR, PS, and BS sections. One thing I want to add is the reason sometimes people score way less than their average on PS is because I honestly believe that they become too complacent with AAMCs. What I mean by this is that they fail to realize that the AAMC exams we have were administered a decade ago. Therefore, many people don't practice with the challenging exams and I think Kaplan perfectly simulates the hard, challenging, exotic, conceptual passages you are likely to see on real exam (i.e. pendulum accelerometer experiment)-

Kaplan came closest to replicating the difficulty of the PS section for me.

I really think Kaplan exams are an EXCELLENT source for MCAT practice.

I did Kaplan 1-6 as well as AAMCs but I also did a lot of Kaplan Section Tests for VR, PS, and BS sections. One thing I want to add is the reason sometimes people score way less than their average on PS is because I honestly believe that they become too complacent with AAMCs. What I mean by this is that they fail to realize that the AAMC exams we have were administered a decade ago. Therefore, many people don't practice with the challenging exams and I think Kaplan perfectly simulates the hard, challenging, exotic, conceptual passages you are likely to see on real exam (i.e. pendulum accelerometer experiment)-

Kaplan came closest to replicating the difficulty of the PS section for me.

WholeHEARTEDLY agree with this, bless this post, no idea why Kaplan gets so much flak. Section tests are absolutely bomb as well because they're INCREDIBLY difficult and make the real thing look like cake. I was not shaken at all on test day and I attribute that ENTIRELY to kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)

I practiced on the 10 gold standard, 7 berkeley review, and 11 kaplan tests. I would say Kaplan came the closest to the real thing, followed by berkeley and gold standard. Highly recommend kaplan. But not sure if those are available without purchasing a program/class with them.

WholeHEARTEDLY agree with this, bless this post, no idea why Kaplan gets so much flak. Section tests are absolutely bomb as well because they're INCREDIBLY difficult and make the real thing look like cake. I was not shaken at all on test day and I attribute that ENTIRELY to kaplan.

What was your breakdown of aamc scores? I saw you did much better than expected on the actual, congrats!!

I practiced on the 10 gold standard, 7 berkeley review, and 11 kaplan tests. I would say Kaplan came the closest to the real thing, followed by berkeley and gold standard. Highly recommend kaplan. But not sure if those are available without purchasing a program/class with them.

Yeah was wondering the same thing. I would like to take some Kaplan tests but I think most of them only come with the class? I believe I can purchase a Kaplan test book though, but it only has 4 tests in it. Is this the only way I can take Kaplan's tests?

retaker

do you guys think improving mcat score by 3-4 points is realistic within 4 weeks? I'm schedule for Jan.13th, but Idk if I should risk it if im not going to improve by a lot. I work 30 hours per week, and I am willing to put in many hours to study, but Idk.
I would appreciate any input.

thank you

retaker

do you guys think improving mcat score by 3-4 points is realistic within 4 weeks? I'm schedule for Jan.13th, but Idk if I should risk it if im not going to improve by a lot. I work 30 hours per week, and I am willing to put in many hours to study, but Idk.
I would appreciate any input.

thank you

I think it depends on what you scored? If really low, then I would retake b/c your odds of improving are greater than if you scored really high. For example, I jumped 8 points in 2 weeks on practice tests just by using a different test taking strategy, however, I was scoring really low so a jump was more likely

I think it depends on what you scored? If really low, then I would retake b/c your odds of improving are greater than if you scored really high. For example, I jumped 8 points in 2 weeks on practice tests just by using a different test taking strategy, however, I was scoring really low so a jump was more likely

Just wondering, how did you change your strategy? I am currently in the process of studying to retake and am trying to implement changes in my study schedule and test taking habits.

Just wondering, how did you change your strategy? I am currently in the process of studying to retake and am trying to implement changes in my study schedule and test taking habits.

I basically refuse to allow myself to change an answer that's my gut instinct. Along with not taking this test so seriously. As ridiculous as it sounds...I had an 8pt jump by literally just doing those two things. The trick will be how do I jump another 8? Problems, problems, problems. I only learn through application. And I'm using the practice tests to better understand concepts. I'm reviewing every question in detail

Reactions: 2 users
Its really motivating to go on the 30+ thread and see how people increase and score above their aamc averages

Members don't see this ad :)

How low did you score in your first attempt? I would never retake anything with a 30+

on there now. thank you!

Also, remember about the standard internet bias that SDN is going to be full of top scorers and not as many really low scorers. ...so don't read into anything too much, best advice is to read, practice, read, practice, and formulate the best plan of action that you know will fit your needs best. There is no cookie cutter approach to beating this exam, just gotta find what works for you and analyze objectively to ensure you are seeing progress...and then hope that test day is the peak of your progress and you score your goal score

Reactions: 1 users
Also, remember about the standard internet bias that SDN is going to be full of top scorers and not as many really low scorers. ...so don't read into anything too much, best advice is to read, practice, read, practice, and formulate the best plan of action that you know will fit your needs best. There is no cookie cutter approach to beating this exam, just gotta find what works for you and analyze objectively to ensure you are seeing progress...and then hope that test day is the peak of your progress and you score your goal score
thank you so much, I appreciate it! :)

How low did you score in your first attempt? I would never retake anything with a 30+

I scored a 30 (10/10/10). I'm retaking because it was about 2 points below my average, I feel like I am capable of scoring much higher if I have a little more time to do practice problems, and also because I am applying to higher tier schools. I studied mainly during the school year with classes...which was a mistake. My last final is tomorrow and after that I have 6 full weeks to study til test day, so if I see that my FL averages are increasing by 3-4 points at least, I will definitely continue to study and then retake the test.

I scored a 30 (10/10/10). I'm retaking because it was about 2 points below my average, I feel like I am capable of scoring much higher if I have a little more time to do practice problems, and also because I am applying to higher tier schools. I studied mainly during the school year with classes...which was a mistake. My last final is tomorrow and after that I have 6 full weeks to study til test day, so if I see that my FL averages are increasing by 3-4 points at least, I will definitely continue to study and then retake the test.

I wish I had a balanced 30 like that. Right now I have a balanced score on practice test...(3pts less in each section though) lol. To me, you have a score that has an adcom say "ok, he passed the mcat part, now let's take a look at the ECs".

^^Agreed, keep at it. Don't read into SDN scores too much. Here, I'll even take a dive. I was taking 19s and 20s before I started becoming a 27 kind of guy. Perfect? No. But it did get me into both MD and DO schools. Remember, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Reactions: 1 users
^^Agreed, keep at it. Don't read into SDN scores too much. Here, I'll even take a dive. I was taking 19s and 20s before I started becoming a 27 kind of guy. Perfect? No. But it did get me into both MD and DO schools. Remember, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
What methods did you use to help increase from 19 - 27? MD acceptance with a 27?

What methods did you use to help increase from 19 - 27? MD acceptance with a 27?

Preparation:

*Anything on a practice test that repeatedly showed up as 50% and lower; I focused on. In my case, those areas seemed to have 3-7 questions quite frequently from PT to PT. It seemed silly to just throw away questions by ignoring weak areas with lots of questions. That might be point +/- 1 and 1/2 for a section score right there.

*In those areas, I took REALLY detailed old school hand written notes. Not transcribing, but in my words, in a way that I could teach it to someone.

*Also for those areas, I usually went to Chad (worth it) to "explain it like I'm five..."

Execution:

*On PTs, as soon as a question started making me feel uneasy, I stopped myself, asked what topic it was coming from. Wrote the question number and the topic down. If it was one that I knew I struggled with I gave it the finger, took an educated guess, and moved on. If it was one that I knew how to do but needed extra time to check my work (stoichiometry...) I circled it and then later came back to check my work. Keep. Moving. Forward.

*At the end of a PT, I checked my weak areas with the topics I jotted down to see: if that's where I got stuck, and if I learned anything.

Most importantly. Keep moving. There are points to be had. Even if it's an easy topic that you SHOULD know but it's giving you a hard time, keep moving.

Yes, MD. I carry some fairly heavy ECs, solid underdog background, and interview fairly well (I think...).

Last edited:
Preparation:

*Anything on a practice test that repeatedly showed up as 50% and lower; I focused on. In my case, those areas seemed to have 3-7 questions quite frequently from PT to PT. It seemed silly to just throw away questions by ignoring weak areas with lots of questions. That might be point +/- 1 and 1/2 for a section score right there.

*In those areas, I took REALLY detailed old school hand written notes. Not transcribing, but in my words, in a way that I could teach it to someone.

*Also for those areas, I usually went to Chad (worth it) to "explain it like I'm five..."

Execution:

*On PTs, as soon as a question started making me feel uneasy, I stopped myself, asked what topic it was coming from. Wrote the question number and the topic down. If it was one that I knew I struggled with I gave it the finger, took an educated guess, and moved on. If it was one that I knew how to do but needed extra time to check my work (stoichiometry...) I circled it and then later came back to check my work. Keep. Moving. Forward.

*At the end of a PT, I checked my weak areas with the topics I jotted down to see: if that's where I got stuck, and if I learned anything.

Most importantly. Keep moving. There are points to be had. Even if it's an easy topic that you SHOULD know but it's giving you a hard time, keep moving.

Yes, MD. I carry some fairly heavy ECs, solid underdog background, and interview fairly well (I think...).

How long did it all take to increase your score? Can you post your breakdowns from each aamc practice test?

How long did it all take to increase your score? Can you post your breakdowns from each aamc practice test?

I can answer this in three ways:

*3 months (the time between my last MCAT attempt and this one).

*300 hours (read somewhere on reddit that after 300 hours, students tend to get the hang of it; I'm very inclined to agree).

*A week (I truly believe that I learned what I needed to learn in the last week. I'll send you some intimate excel screenshots of my breakdowns, it's too hot for TV).

Hi everyone! This is my first post on SDN. I was afraid to look at my score for a good hour or so after I got the twitter notification from AAMC. Anyone else experience that kind of fear of acceptance?

Test Date: 11/7/14
Time: 8:00 am
FL AAMC Average: 30-35
Post-test expected score: 32? (all I could think about was how difficult PS was...)
Actual Score (PS/VR/BS): 38 (10/13/15 <= what? Is this a joke?!)

So was hoping I could get some people's input on this: I am kinda-sorta non-trad applicant (I got my BS in 2012 and just got my MS in Biology). I'm very much aware that my undergrad GPA (cum 3.55/BCPM 3.45) is not considered very competitive for MD programs. Is it delusional of me to depend on my MCAT score to keep me afloat at least until Adcomms bother to put in the effort to look at my ECs/Personal Statement/LORs?

Hi everyone! This is my first post on SDN. I was afraid to look at my score for a good hour or so after I got the twitter notification from AAMC. Anyone else experience that kind of fear of acceptance?

Post-test expected score: 32? (all I could think about was how difficult PS was...)

So was hoping I could get some people's input on this: I am kinda-sorta non-trad applicant (I got my BS in 2012 and just got my MS in Biology). I'm very much aware that my undergrad GPA (cum 3.55/BCPM 3.45) is not considered very competitive for MD programs. Is it delusional of me to depend on my MCAT score to keep me afloat at least until Adcomms bother to put in the effort to look at my ECs/Personal Statement/LORs?
Your GPA isn't bad, you are an extremely competitive applicant if you apply broadly.

Great job on your MCAT! I felt the PS was way different than any FL I took (AAMC or TPR). You should think about DO schools as well. With your stats, you've got a great shot at all DO and many MD programs. If you don't already have one, make sure to get an MSAR account. You'll be able to see what MD schools your stats are most competitive at. Depending on what state you're from, you're likely very competitive for your IS school. Other than California schools, I can't think of many state schools with 10-90% MCAT ranges anywhere close to 38. Good luck!

MSAR link:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

To ElanaSilogram:

Your total GPA of 3.55 and science GPA of 3.45 is not that bad, depending on what undergrad institution you went to. Med schools know that some colleges grade harder than others.

To ElanaSilogram:

Your total GPA of 3.55 and science GPA of 3.45 is not that bad, depending on what undergrad institution you went to. Med schools know that some colleges grade harder than others.

I never knew this. So would you say UCLA grade harder or easier?

I never knew this. So would you say UCLA grade harder or easier?
That probably depends on the school. I feel like the whole "3.5 cutoff" is sort of the cutoff for a medical school of the same "tier" as the undergraduate school. For instance, I think a person with a 3.5 from a school like Northwestern or Vanderbilt would be just about the lowest stat applicant with any real shot at a med school ranked 20-50, but he/she might have a decent shot at lower ranked schools. Then a person with a 3.5 from a school you've never heard of might be the lowest stat applicant from an unranked med school. This is all assuming no special circumstances, no red flags, and an MCAT score above 30.

Obviously at the extremes this isn't true. Harvard/Hopkins will always expect a 3.9+ if you're not a particularly special candidate, and a person with a 3.0 from MIT would still be lucky to get into any MD school.

A 3.5 from UCLA should be fine for an MD acceptance. Whether or not you can get into "top" schools would just depend on your MCAT, ECs, and of course luck.

Well guys, long time no post but I'm taking the test tomorrow :) wish me luck because I'm SO ready to be over with this thing!

Tough news, man. Are you getting ready for the new exam?
That's what I got to do....

My plan is to still apply but apply to only small MD schools and DO schools. I need to retake and let them know I'm retaking and hopefully maybe they will consider me for an interview.

Any 'endospores' still alive in this thread? Howz life after killin the cat? I am working, taking courses, and have applied for a volunteering position at a hospital and still awaiting their orientation.....

Any 'endospores' still alive in this thread? Howz life after killin the cat? I am working, taking courses, and have applied for a volunteering position at a hospital and still awaiting their orientation.....

I'm still alive to some extent! Right now, I'm just working at a clinic as an MA, which is definitely an interesting job. That + some light ACT tutoring is about all I have going on. I should probably do some more volunteering, too, but I haven't really gotten around to that yet, haha. Probably not a good thing...

Thats funny, I'm working at a clinic in MA now too.... that, tutoring, and coaching sailing (not that there's any unfrozen water here.)

I'm still alive to some extent! Right now, I'm just working at a clinic as an MA, which is definitely an interesting job. That + some light ACT tutoring is about all I have going on. I should probably do some more volunteering, too, but I haven't really gotten around to that yet, haha. Probably not a good thing...

Just updating you all, my original MCAT family, if you care. I took the test November 7th, and got a 27 (VR 07 PS 10 BS 10). I took it again on Jan 23rd and got a 29 (VR08 PS10 BS 11). My list of 3 mcat scores are 29/27/29.

I tried my utmost best to do well on verbal (practiced a lot) and also to push up the scores on my other two sections. It was not a problem of understanding, just of reading it fast enough to understand. While my science scores are not stellar, they would not be a problem for me on the new test. I still would have a problem with the verbal section.

I would appreciate any words of advice.

Thats funny, I'm working at a clinic in MA now too.... that, tutoring, and coaching sailing (not that there's any unfrozen water here.)

Hah, look at that! I guess being an MA isn't too uncommon for us premeds. What kind of clinic are you working at? I'm at an OBGYN clinic right now!

Just updating you all, my original MCAT family, if you care. I took the test November 7th, and got a 27 (VR 07 PS 10 BS 10). I took it again on Jan 23rd and got a 29 (VR08 PS10 BS 11). My list of 3 mcat scores are 29/27/29.

I tried my utmost best to do well on verbal (practiced a lot) and also to push up the scores on my other two sections. It was not a problem of understanding, just of reading it fast enough to understand. While my science scores are not stellar, they would not be a problem for me on the new test. I still would have a problem with the verbal section.

I would appreciate any words of advice.

I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds really rough. I wouldn't be able to tell you much about the new MCAT--I've barely looked at it, to be honest--and I know I'm not going to suggest anything revolutionary, but have you also considered applying to DO schools?

I've been finishing up my last quarter, looking for gap year jobs, and working on research. I'm bit nervous about the application process with my score (10/9/9) and have decided to go through with AMCAS, AACOMAS, and TMDSAS. Perhaps at least one of the 50 schools I apply to might be interested lol