The Official November 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.D.orbust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am signed up for this date. 8:00 a.m. Yikes!!! I am aiming hard to make 40+ my reality so hence me making this thread so early. A former lab- mate and current medical student had a ton of MCAT prep stuff she gave to me. So I have the Examcrackers set, Hyperlearning set, regular Princeton Review, audio osmosis, and practice MCAT tests from a variety of sources I also do the MCAT questions a day through email and on my phone (to help with super quick recall). I am officially studying legitimately now. Currently starting with Examcrackers. I'd love to hear from you all doing the same. Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm speechless. Like how? Haha.
Just curious, how long does each USMILE take to test? Because if it's around the new MCAT length, then I suppose that makes sense.

But I agree with the person who said you can guaranteed there will be more premeds taking gap years.

Yeah! My kaplan teacher said with the lunch breaks and the regular breaks, it's going to be 7 hours! I would have to avoid it at all costs...

lucky for us that we were born just in the right time frame to avoid the writing section and this new monstrosity. High five!

cat-high-five.gif

now we can laugh at everyone who will be taking the new one

nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

jk love you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious, how long does each USMILE take to test? Because if it's around the new MCAT length, then I suppose that makes sense.

But I agree with the person who said you can guaranteed there will be more premeds taking gap years.

USMLE step 1 is eight hours..but.....we can worry about that once we're in medical school ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I figure I should finally drop by and say hello! I'm also taking the test on the 7th, and just praying that my studying is going in the right direction, haha.

I wish you all the bestest of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm finding that loads and loads of practice questions are much more useful for practice. Any time I start on a content binge, I feel like I'm on a wild goose-chase for knowledge. For the next two months I'm channelling efforts toward full length tests and practice Qs.

Anyone else in this same frame of mind?

'Twas a quite day for the SDNer's of the Nov 7th test.
What was it like? :D

I'm finding that loads and loads of practice questions are much more useful for practice. Any time I start on a content binge, I feel like I'm on a wild goose-chase for knowledge. For the next two months I'm channelling efforts toward full length tests and practice Qs.

I cannot wait until I focus solely on practice. I really need to get my content review finished first, so I'm at least vaguely familiar with all the concepts.

Went to see the dr yesterday about medical issue, got some help, and swinging right back into gear today!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still doing content review, but do you guys ever feel discouraged with your TBR scores? I can't tell of I'm doing things right/retaining information correctly or not. Using SN2ed, my 2/3's are often worse than the 1/3's, and my scores are usually 50-70% (with the exception of organic, where I can hit the eighties).

How's it with you guys?

Last edited:

I will be once my content review is over... But I'm still heavy in content.

What was it like? :D

I cannot wait until I focus solely on practice. I really need to get my content review finished first, so I'm at least vaguely familiar with all the concepts.

Went to see the dr yesterday about medical issue, got some help, and swinging right back into gear today!

Let's do it! :D

I'm still doing content review, but do you guys ever feel discouraged with layout TBR scores? I can't tell of I'm doing things right/retaining information correctly or not. Using SN2ed, my 2/3's are often worse than the 1/3's, and my scores are usually 50-70% (with the exception of organic, where I can hit the eighties).

How's it with you guys?

I have fallen behind on my 3rd's, but I struggle significantly in physics and can barely get 40%.

But, I am only using EK for now, so I can't say anything about the TBR. But I do feel like when that sort of thing happens, it is usually just brain overload/ burnout.

Maybe that is just me. But I just figured any comment is better than no comment. X) haha.

I have a strong urge to tear the BR orgo book up to shreds and then incinerate those very shreds....grr and from the looking at the Aug 27 mcat thread it looks like it was orgo heavy :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still doing content review, but do you guys ever feel discouraged with your TBR scores? I can't tell of I'm doing things right/retaining information correctly or not. Using SN2ed, my 2/3's are often worse than the 1/3's, and my scores are usually 50-70% (with the exception of organic, where I can hit the eighties).

How's it with you guys?

Yeah I average more in the 70-85% correct range..but on ch 8 yesterday for physics (electrostatics and electromagnetics) and got RAPED by the passages…like 55%. lol I feel this chapter is an outlier and the passages are just whacked. Cause I know both right hand rules and understand electric field/force and magnetic forces and potential. Hell I re-read the chapter in TBR twice and even referred to my college physics text just to have everything perfect and still got mowed on that section. Let me know if you have done them yet, curious if you feel this way too..

Yeah I average more in the 70-85% correct range..but on ch 8 yesterday for physics (electrostatics and electromagnetics) and got RAPED by the passages…like 55%. lol I feel this chapter is an outlier and the passages are just whacked. Cause I know both right hand rules and understand electric field/force and magnetic forces and potential. Hell I re-read the chapter in TBR twice and even referred to my college physics text just to have everything perfect and still got mowed on that section. Let me know if you have done them yet, curious if you feel this way too..

I have heard a lot of horrible things about that chapter, haha. I'm still only on Ch.4-5 for all the subjects, so I have a few more weeks to go until I'm there, but I doubt I'll be doing any better! But yeah, if it makes you feel any better, you're deeefinitely not the only one who's gotten wrecked by those passages from what I've heard.

How's it with you guys?
Sometimes I can get like half the questions wrong especially with PS but sometimes I get them all right (most often in orgo) and I feel so accomplished lol. I've noticed that for PS, especially for physics, I end up using POE more than remembering a specific formula or the specific test taking tips. How have you been doing on the physics portion?

How's it with you guys?

My TBR SCORES SUCKED. Because I started off with TBR.. And then realized...it was way too much and I was missing the fundamentals. Anyway.. I did finish content review but it was rushed and I didn't give myself enough time to be completely absorbed......so I started back up with Kaplan.. And its help. After I am done with Kaplan.. I will return to TBR. But the scores are discouraging. I am doing their verbal right now...(TBR).

You might need more days in between ....the practice and reading. To absorb.....the information better and do other practice questions..non TBR RELATED!. HOPE THIS HELPS. :)

Also... Been doing TBR passages untimed...doing great! Woo. Gonna finish this book untimed and then start timed! Also... My humanities comprehension blows...does anyone have any good material/website/journal to read more humanities lectures? Please let me know!!! :)

Sometimes I can get like half the questions wrong especially with PS but sometimes I get them all right (most often in orgo) and I feel so accomplished lol. I've noticed that for PS, especially for physics, I end up using POE more than remembering a specific formula or the specific test taking tips. How have you been doing on the physics portion?

I'm kinda' the same with Phyics. I mean, don't get me wrong, I use formula's plenty too, but I tend to solve a lot of problems just through POE and intuition. It usually gets me by, but my Physics scores could still use a good bump. My Physics average at the moment is 62.4%, with my lowest score being a 50%, and my highest being a 75%. Definitely got a long way to go.

My TBR SCORES SUCKED. Because I started off with TBR.. And then realized...it was way too much and I was missing the fundamentals. Anyway.. I did finish content review but it was rushed and I didn't give myself enough time to be completely absorbed......so I started back up with Kaplan.. And its help. After I am done with Kaplan.. I will return to TBR. But the scores are discouraging. I am doing their verbal right now...(TBR).

You might need more days in between ....the practice and reading. To absorb.....the information better and do other practice questions..non TBR RELATED!. HOPE THIS HELPS. :)

TBR Verbal? How is it? I've heard a lot of people say that it's not too great, so it's interesting that you're using TBR! This is my second time studying for the MCAT, so I feel like the fundamentals should be in my head somewhere. Just gotta' dig them back up, haha. I hope Kaplan has been going well for you, though! And thanks for the advice! I'd definitely space things out a bit more if I had more time!

What is the consensus for the Berkeley Review Biology passages?

I've liked them so far. I can't remember the AAMC passages all that well, and while I'd say TBR is a little more detail oriented a lot of the time, I think it's still pretty decent practice. I believe TPRHL Science Workbook is regarded as the best Bio passage source. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm kinda' the same with Phyics. I mean, don't get me wrong, I use formula's plenty too, but I tend to solve a lot of problems just through POE and intuition. It usually gets me by, but my Physics scores could still use a good bump. My Physics average at the moment is 62.4%, with my lowest score being a 50%, and my highest being a 75%. Definitely got a long way to go.

TBR Verbal? How is it? I've heard a lot of people say that it's not too great, so it's interesting that you're using TBR! This is my second time studying for the MCAT, so I feel like the fundamentals should be in my head somewhere. Just gotta' dig them back up, haha. I hope Kaplan has been going well for you, though! And thanks for the advice! I'd definitely space things out a bit more if I had more time!

I've liked them so far. I can't remember the AAMC passages all that well, and while I'd say TBR is a little more detail oriented a lot of the time, I think it's still pretty decent practice. I believe TPRHL Science Workbook is regarded as the best Bio passage source. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

TBR verbal is good for me. Like I said.. I am using it as practice and then plan on jumping to EK! I wanted to finish a book untimed before moving on...you know? Good luck!

My humanities comprehension blows...does anyone have any good material/website/journal to read more humanities related articles???

I have a strong urge to tear the BR orgo book up to shreds and then incinerate those very shreds....grr and from the looking at the Aug 27 mcat thread it looks like it was orgo heavy :mad:

I feel like that with every book. I just got them a few days ago too.

My humanities comprehension blows...does anyone have any good material/website/journal to read more humanities related articles???
If I remember correctly, the New Yorker is good for humanities, BUT I have a feeling that you shouldn't stop there.

I'm starting my Verbal practice today. Just started with TPR's Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook passage 1. But just like when I began the first passage of EK's 101 Verbal Passages, I find myself endlessly yawning as I read (and then for some, re-read) the passages. Anyone else finding themselves feeling this way when they began verbal practice? Does it get better with time and practice?

(I never yawned this much when I read journal articles every day. I suspect I should psych myself into thinking these passages are ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING. lol wheee)

I'm starting my Verbal practice today. Just started with TPR's Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook passage 1. But just like when I began the first passage of EK's 101 Verbal Passages, I find myself endlessly yawning as I read (and then for some, re-read) the passages. Anyone else finding themselves feeling this way when they began verbal practice? Does it get better with time and practice?

(I never yawned this much when I read journal articles every day. I suspect I should psych myself into thinking these passages are ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING. lol wheee)

I use the EK VR strategy and during those 5 seconds before each passage. I prime myself and just tell myself that this is the most interesting passage ever. Lol.

I use the EK VR strategy and during those 5 seconds before each passage. I prime myself and just tell myself that this is the most interesting passage ever. Lol.
I tried that with the second passage I tackled today through Kaplan's QBank and my score shot up 60%! :D
I find that doing whatever my gut wants to do...whether it be a break or reading an article helps me best with studies.
I'm gradually training myself to stay focused and productive for longer durations. It feels...oddly...really good (because it's rewarding)! lol

@PhysicsFailure : How's studying going for you?

Hey guys! What is your average verbal passage accuracy recently?
I feel like because verbal has the harshest curve, we should all be shooting for 100% accuracy...
But, let's lay this out on the table, if you don't mind: What has been your percentage goal for verbal practice passages thus far?

I am currently shooting for at least a 10 on the verbal section as a whole... I'm thinking at least 80% right on practice passages are okay??
(I am aware that the percentage score conversion to scaled score varies from passage to passage depending on difficulty, and that I should focus more on figuring out what my weaknesses and strengths are; however, it would be nice to have a set goal to know when I can pat myself on the back and when I need to grind down a little more.)

I feel like because verbal has the harshest curve, we should all be shooting for 100% accuracy...
But, let's lay this out on the table, if you don't mind: What has been your percentage goal for verbal practice passages thus far?

I am currently shooting for at least a 10 on the verbal section as a whole... I'm thinking at least 80% right on practice passages are okay??
(I am aware that the percentage score conversion to scaled score varies from passage to passage depending on difficulty, and that I should focus more on figuring out what my weaknesses and strengths are; however, it would be nice to have a set goal to know when I can pat myself on the back and when I need to grind down a little more.)
I am also shooting for a 10+ as a whole! I haven't really set percentage goals, just try to do my best. I am using three different sources from verbal: TBR, TPR VW, and EK101. My scores range on average from 6-9 ( Have counted passages percent wise but also have done full verbal tests). TBR is where I range 6-7, EK usually 7-8, and TPR 7-9. I am really hoping with enough practice I can get up to 10+ :nailbiting:

I tried that with the second passage I tackled today through Kaplan's QBank and my score shot up 60%! :D
I find that doing whatever my gut wants to do...whether it be a break or reading an article helps me best with studies.
I'm gradually training myself to stay focused and productive for longer durations. It feels...oddly...really good (because it's rewarding)! lol

@PhysicsFailure : How's studying going for you?

Blah! @j9260

I like had to take a mental break day for myself. :/ I feel so ashamed. :(

But I have not taken any break since the beginning, and I should have completely saw this one coming.

I just can't help to feel like I am letting myself and my goal down. :'(

I think I should have taken into account a little more that I will have to have some time to adjust to classes. But I feel like I am making excuses! And med school AdCom's are just going to look at me and laugh. Excuses are not acceptable. I'm just going to have work harder to get back on track and everything.

Sorry for my sap story. I have been on the struggle bus these past 2 days. And I am still trying to regulate my new medication, so it is definitely trial and error. :/

Thanks for asking, @j9620! You tha bestest! :) :-*

Update me on your life!!!! :D!!!!

On another note, does anyone know if a cover letter and personal statement are the same thing??

Sounds about right! I am going for a 10 as well, and have been hitting it consistently (scoring about 70-75%) right. I know I will be pretty nervous for this section come test day, so I know I need to start scoring 2-3 points higher in practice.

80% is a pretty good guestimate, im shooting for a 10 as well but im stuck at a 8 over the last three practice tests ive taken.

This is just a quick tip....when I do untimed verbal. I always....writr down why I thought each question was wrong or right. This way...when I was going over it.. It helped me better see where I was going wrong....helped my score a lot! ;)

Guys, so I am taking the test on November and I can't shake the nerves. I'm so scared I won't be prepared! Me and my tutor decided that I should aim to cover all the content by the end of Sept. and Oct. is strategy. I'm still incredibly nervous!

This is just a quick tip....when I do untimed verbal. I always....writr down why I thought each question was wrong or right. This way...when I was going over it.. It helped me better see where I was going wrong....helped my score a lot! ;)
Do you do full explainations or do you short hand it with like Out of context, opposite, etc.

Good luck everyone, please only take the MCAT if you are ready. You find out if you are ready by taking several full-length AAMC tests towards the end and taking the average.

Guys, so I am taking the test on November and I can't shake the nerves. I'm so scared I won't be prepared! Me and my tutor decided that I should aim to cover all the content by the end of Sept. and Oct. is strategy. I'm still incredibly nervous!

don't stress, its definitely possible to cover content weaknesses in a few weeks. You can even go into mid october to finish content and use the last few weeks to do practice problems and full lengths.

Idk I'm having a rough time with TBR. To elucidate my situation, I finished reading the kaplan books a week and half a go so Im trying to go through tbr slightly fast , but these passages are ruining me.

I time myself, and time isnt the biggest problem. I get most passages done in 7 to 7.5 mins but my accuracy is like a 60 percent or so + or - 8 percent for weak/stronger areas. I am 1 week into TBR as well.

Any help here guys?

Idk I'm having a rough time with TBR. To elucidate my situation, I finished reading the kaplan books a week and half a go so Im trying to go through tbr slightly fast , but these passages are ruining me.

I time myself, and time isnt the biggest problem. I get most passages done in 7 to 7.5 mins but my accuracy is like a 60 percent or so + or - 8 percent for weak/stronger areas. I am 1 week into TBR as well.

Any help here guys?
You should prob try and read the chapters in TBR before attempting the questions .. Really hard to jump from kaplen to TBR because there passages are slightly harder ..