The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everybody!!! Just dropping in to say that it's less than a month until we get to know our scores.

I am both excited and petrified at the same time.

I HOPE ALL OF YOU FEEL THE SAME AS I DO. THAT WAY I KNOW I'M NOT CRAZY.

Take care, everybody.

Guys how close was the actual exam on topics and difficulty?
The PS section on this exam at least was a huge shocker. The difficulty level was much harder, not due to test day nerves but just harder. The passages were very wordy and lengthy and even the discretes were long. Verbal felt fair. The passages were a little longer but the passages weren't bad and the questions were decent. I felt BS to be just like an AAMC although some seem to disagree with me on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Please PM the answer to my question :)
Do I need to download both Twitter and IFTTT? Also, can it work for Android users and what should I put for the THEN part?

Thanks
It works with Android too (IMO it works better with Android, but it seems like everyone has an iPhone). You'll need to download the IFTTTT app on your droid, and then follow my prior script (but choose the notify me on my droid option). Again, tons of ways to work this, I've just decided to explain the most simple configuration. Feel free to deviate from what I posted as much as you'd like

Members don't see this ad :)
It works with Android too (IMO it works better with Android, but it seems like everyone has an iPhone). You'll need to download the IFTTTT app on your droid, and then follow my prior script (but choose the notify me on my droid option). Again, tons of ways to work this, I've just decided to explain the most simple configuration. Feel free to deviate from what I posted as much as you'd like

I actually didn't have to download anything to my computer or phone - just signed up online on my laptop, and it's been working great: I get instant notifications sent to my phone (I had to give them my #), but like I said, I never had to downloaded anything.

Hey guys, been busy working back to back after the exam and haven't gotten a chance to post my post-exam comment.

PS: I was like where in the world did these passages come from. The first couple were not that bad, but later on they became brutal. Not what I expected.

VR: The passages were long and interesting to follow, but this is not my strength because of timing.

BS: It was as expected. Experimentally heavy with few orgo questions like one orgo passage. I did a lot of referring back to the passage like I was doing verbal section for the second time. Lol.

Hey everybody!!! Just dropping in to say that it's less than a month until we get to know our scores.

I am both excited and petrified at the same time.

I HOPE ALL OF YOU FEEL THE SAME AS I DO. THAT WAY I KNOW I'M NOT CRAZY.

Take care, everybody.
I think we're all a little anxious, but our test day nerves have finally died down. I had a dream that I got 10's in all of the subsections but then I still got a 10 overall. You could say I woke up a little concerned that the AAMC could do simple math.

So while most of you guys are saying the PS passages were brutal what exactly does that mean? Like not regular concepts tested, really weird set ups in the passages, hard/tricky questions, calculation heavy??

I think most people who have taken the mcat recently are saying the PS is way harder than aamc tests. but im wondering WHY???? (take mcat in 2 weeks) :)

So while most of you guys are saying the PS passages were brutal what exactly does that mean? Like not regular concepts tested, really weird set ups in the passages, hard/tricky questions, calculation heavy??

I think most people who have taken the mcat recently are saying the PS is way harder than aamc tests. but im wondering WHY???? (take mcat in 2 weeks) :)

All of the above.

I'm not kidding. Except for calculation heavy, which would have made it much easier for me. The concepts tested were odd, the passages were very different, and the questions were tricky.

Honestly, there's no way to prepare for it other than knowing it will be different and to just try and not let it throw you off.

The questions that follow a passage are more abstract. Most of the AAMC practice test PS passages are pretty straightforward as to what concept they are trying to test you on i.e. Stoichiometry with a precipitation reaction or wave properties (AAMC 3). This test combined 3-4 categories into one passage. And when I say categories I mean like the all uppercase bold parts of the AAMC content outline. So as you are reading a dense passage that jumps between these different categories quickly, you have to remember everything from that category and integrate it into the next category.

A lot of us were taken back by this and thus required more time reading the passage to understand the questions than we were used to and thus became a little startled seeing the clock progress faster than normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The questions that follow a passage are more abstract. Most of the AAMC practice test PS passages are pretty straightforward as to what concept they are trying to test you on ei. Stoichiometry with a precipitation reaction or wave properties (AAMC 3). This test combined 3-4 categories into one passage. And when I say categories I mean like the all uppercase bold parts of the AAMC content outline. So as you are reading a dense passage that jumps between these different categories quickly, you have to remember everything from that category and integrate it into the next category.

A lot of us were taken back by this and thus required more time reading the passage to understand the questions than we were used to and thus became a little startled seeing the clock progress faster than normal.

Oh okay, but I do know what you mean I took some of the earlier AAMC and they would test one or two concepts per passage. So hopefully I wont be to baffled when I see multiple concepts. I guess it would just make you have to think much more openly on how to narrow your answer based on your knowledge of multiple concepts.

Dang, I was going to make a joke but then realized that it hinted at one of the questions, not even on purpose. Kind of like " Oh, that's quite humerus." But then you realize that one passage talked about the body so you don't even dare say it.

I actually didn't have to download anything to my computer or phone - just signed up online on my laptop, and it's been working great: I get instant notifications sent to my phone (I had to give them my #), but like I said, I never had to downloaded anything.

Can you explain how and what did you put in the blue highlights because it didn't work :(

It's not working and it says it can find the channel!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay, but I do know what you mean I took some of the earlier AAMC and they would test one or two concepts per passage. So hopefully I wont be to baffled when I see multiple concepts. I guess it would just make you have to think much more openly on how to narrow your answer based on your knowledge of multiple concepts.
Yes and no. It is more like if you can't recall the pertinent information about one concept, or are weak in that area, you will not be able to connect it from point A to point B and subsequently won't be able to connect B to C, or C to D. Also if you can't figure out how they have intertwined B with C in doesn't matter how well you know C.

I would recommend looking at the content outline and think if you were a test writer how could you test three concepts together because that is what the test writers are trying to do. They realized that the previous tests did not showcase everything causing some test takers to score either better or worse than normal depending on whether it tested their strengths or weaknesses. Thus they are trying to see if they can change that by integrating everything (only my speculation though).

Okay everybody, I think I've made a decision regarding studying for a retake. I'm going to start on November 3rd and continue from there. Once November 25th rolls around, then I'll obviously make my final decision, but for now I think it's better to try to improve as much as I can. Not to mention, waiting until the 3rd gives me almost two full weeks of rest!

I'm thinking my studying will involve the following:

• One month content review
    • Going to mostly focus on weak areas. Oh, and perhaps I'll actually learn all of Organic :)
    • When I say content review, I mean using wikipremed and doing all of the discrete questions and passages in TPRH Science Workbook as well as doing verbal more religiously.
  • One month of practice full-lengths.
    • Since I've already used all of AAMC's, I will most likely buy TBR's as I've heard good things. I hope to make it more of a point to really diagnose my weak spots regarding test taking ability.
Is there anyone in here who was a retaker and has advice?

Also, I'd like some opinions. Does having an AAMC average of 31 indicate that I am pretty good with content knowledge? Or does it indicate I could be stronger? I feel pretty complete with regards to it, but I guess I don't know for sure.

My test date is January 8th, so I have about two months to prepare!

P.S. You know what would be great? If I just scored a 30+ on the October 21st MCAT and didn't have to worry about all of this retake nonsense. *Sigh*

Also, I realize this is a bit late, but just curious. What are we supposed to do with that piece of paper that the test site printed and gave to us? We aren't supposed to enter anything online from it, right? I seem to recall my test supervisor saying I'd need the registration ID.

Also, I realize this is a bit late, but just curious. What are we supposed to do with that piece of paper that the test site printed and gave to us? We aren't supposed to enter anything online from it, right? I seem to recall my test supervisor saying I'd need the registration ID.
You just keep it. It's not important.

Okay everybody, I think I've made a decision regarding studying for a retake. I'm going to start on November 3rd and continue from there. Once November 25th rolls around, then I'll obviously make my final decision, but for now I think it's better to try to improve as much as I can. Not to mention, waiting until the 3rd gives me almost two full weeks of rest!

• Going to mostly focus on weak areas. Oh, and perhaps I'll actually learn all of Organic :)
    • When I say content review, I mean using wikipremed and doing all of the discrete questions and passages in TPRH Science Workbook as well as doing verbal more religiously.
    • Since I've already used all of AAMC's, I will most likely buy TBR's as I've heard good things. I hope to make it more of a point to really diagnose my weak spots regarding test taking ability.

Also, I'd like some opinions. Does having an AAMC average of 31 indicate that I am pretty good with content knowledge? Or does it indicate I could be stronger? I feel pretty complete with regards to it, but I guess I don't know for sure.

P.S. You know what would be great? If I just scored a 30+ on the October 21st MCAT and didn't have to worry about all of this retake nonsense. *Sigh*
I am in the same boat as you. Only my new test is December 6th. I am hoping thats enough time. My average was a 30. I have been sudying since two days after the mcat .. so I have about a month and a half. :yuck: I want to get enough time in to improve if I need to ... but I also dont want to drag it on too long because I start work soon and burn out is kicking in

I am in the same boat as you. Only my new test is December 6th. I am hoping thats enough time. My average was a 30. I have been sudying since two days after the mcat .. so I have about a month and a half. :yuck: I want to get enough time in to improve if I need to ... but I also dont want to drag it on too long because I start work soon and burn out is kicking in

Whenever I feel a burn out coming on I take a step back and think about why I'm studying so much. I tend to lose sight of the actual reason, because it feels like I'm just trying to take another test that I'll be graded on. When I remind myself of what the score will do for my life, it makes it a bit easier to keep going.

Good luck with studying! Hopefully you got around your average this last time and won't have to retake!

Can you explain how and what did you put in the blue highlights because it didn't work :(

I just logged on to the site, registered per their instructions, selected the "if" input to be a response to Twitter activity and added the user @AAMC_MCAT as the "if user tweets" source, and added the "then" reaction to be an SMS sent to my phone number, which I had to input.

I can't find a seat, and will be watching for one, but I don't think I'm going to start studying unless I know I have to - I'm just going to wait for a seat and wait for a score before I start planning/plotting out any further MCAT shenanigans. Good luck studying! Hopefully it will come in handy, or not, which ever you're hoping for :p

I just logged on to the site, registered per their instructions, selected the "if" input to be a response to Twitter activity and added the user @AAMC_MCAT as the "if user tweets" source, and added the "then" reaction to be an SMS sent to my phone number, which I had to input.

Ok this is what I am doing.

I am going to the recipes in order to create a new recipe and this is what I typed in the box as your quoted above.

If is already highlighted, so without quotes or anything this is exactly what I wrote

@AAMC_MCAT tweets (* when I typed those words in they told me that this channel is not available). I am not sure if I am suppose to select the twitter channel, and activate the twitter channel or something. Sorry, I never used this type of programming before :(

You know, I had a dream last night that I scored a ten on the PS section of the MCAT .... then I woke up +pity+:cryi:

Reactions: 8 users
Ok this is what I am doing.

I am going to the recipes in order to create a new recipe and this is what I typed in the box as your quoted above.

If is already highlighted, so without quotes or anything this is exactly what I wrote

@AAMC_MCAT tweets (* when I typed those words in they told me that this channel is not available). I am not sure if I am suppose to select the twitter channel, and activate the twitter channel or something. Sorry, I never used this type of programming before :(

PMed you

Whenever I feel a burn out coming on I take a step back and think about why I'm studying so much. I tend to lose sight of the actual reason, because it feels like I'm just trying to take another test that I'll be graded on. When I remind myself of what the score will do for my life, it makes it a bit easier to keep going.

Good luck with studying! Hopefully you got around your average this last time and won't have to retake!
yeah. I am just trying to look at as training for college sports hahah. But as for your question regarding content knowledge I deff think that with a 31 average you should review content. Unless your breakdown is like 13/5/13 lol. I am pretty close to you with a 30avg and I am going through content review now and I deff have weaknesses. I think content can still be a weakness until you get to like 12's in the sciences in my opinion.

Just wanted to drop in and say "Hello!"

What is everyone's life like right now outside of waiting/preparing for the MCAT?

I'm in the middle of my semester. Taking Organic, Medical A&P, and some liberal arts requirements. Other than that, I am reading the book The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two). If any of you are interested in a great fantasy work, this is definitely one of them! So happy the NBA season has begun, and enjoying the Nebraska 'Huskers' season (football) so far. Very sad for the Royals losing the World Series, though.

I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying whatever it is you're pursuing.

Take care, everyone.

Reactions: 3 users

What is everyone's life like right now outside of waiting/preparing for the MCAT?

I'm in the middle of my semester. Taking Organic, Medical A&P, and some liberal arts requirements. Other than that, I am reading the book The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two). If any of you are interested in a great fantasy work, this is definitely one of them! So happy the NBA season has begun, and enjoying the Nebraska 'Huskers' season (football) so far. Very sad for the Royals losing the World Series, though.

Take care, everyone.

I'm also in the middle of my semester, taking Biochemistry, Psychobio, General Physiology, Orgo 2 Lab, and a medical ethics class. I had a test the friday before MCAT and the day before MCAT, so needless to say that I've been very relaxed since we finished. Unfortunate about the Royals, I'm somewhat tired of the Giants, but what can you do. FSU on the other hand gives me heart palpitations every week because they can't beat anyone in the first half, but still a perfect 8-0 amidst all of the disciplinary issues. Just enjoying some free time and not stressing as much about this wretched test, which is nice.

Hopefully everyone here is doing good and relaxing during this strange time of unavoidable anxiety.

Take care, everyone.
Lol Same to you! I am Still studying 6 hours a day in the case of a retake. However I am making time to hit the gym everyday now ... i will be competing in my first bodybuilding competition this spring in the bikini division. So pumped. :X3: Also anxious for an upcoming hospital interview I have in the near future for a patient care nurse assistant position.

Take care, everyone.

Mostly just waiting on that MCAT score, but still unable to find a seat in case I need one, so I'm not studying either, hahaaa. Also I'm looking for a research job to help my application resume, and currently have applications pending with labs at Hopkins, Children's National, Lombardi Cancer Center, etc. all Baltimore/DC area stuff. Got my first call-back from Hopkins about 15 minutes ago, so I'm suuuuper hoping that turns into a job!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone!!! :)
Dropped by to see how everyone has been doing!!

<3

:highfive:

Hello, I'm currently looking for seats in case I need to retake it but no luck. I'm actively looking for research jobs or internships and hopefully I'm able to land something.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am praying that I guessed correctly on the MCAT..at this point! One month of studying wasn't enough. :shrug:

@dr3sss That's awesome! I am in the same exact boat as you! Scores are coming out in a couple of weeks...YIKES! I need to find a seat for January! What state are you looking at?

I am praying that I guessed correctly on the MCAT..at this point! One month of studying wasn't enough. :shrug:

@dr3sss That's awesome! I am in the same exact boat as you! Scores are coming out in a couple of weeks...YIKES! I need to find a seat for January! What state are you looking at?

I'm actually looking at any state at this point. You??? I'm from Connecticut

Posted using SDN Mobile

Take care, everyone.

Last week I made the decision of not applying this cycle due to my fear of admissions committees tracing their middle finger on my application in red sharpie then sending it back to me.
I've been hard at work in lab during my days and stuffing myself with cake while reading Game of Thrones (George RR Martin) at night. Does anyone feel like the worst of the wait is over? I find this to be true because I've finally stopped having MCAT nightmares. Like a couple of you, I have not started up studying again...have not found a seat. I'm under the impression that I won't.

Slowly mentally preparing for the possibility of taking the new exam.....
tumblr_inline_mg48o2aUG51rxrrxw.gif

I tried studying today again for the first time since test day. YIKES. It's so hard to find motivation when you really don't know if it matters. I got on to wikipremed and I just stared at everything and thought, "I know all of this, and I really don't feel like studying."

The motivation was so easy to come by when I knew it definitely mattered. But somewhere, deep inside, my mind keeps telling me to do something that will definitely contribute something meaningful to my life. Like watching Netflix and reading fantasy novels. Yes, those definitely matter more at the moment.

GAH! Is anyone trying to study having the same problem? I don't want to continue like this, but my mind just won't get into it. And how much would I regret studying my butt off for the next 21 days only to get a 30+? Okay, realistically, I'd be too happy to have regrets, but you all get my point.

I tried studying today again for the first time since test day. YIKES. It's so hard to find motivation when you really don't know if it matters. I got on to wikipremed and I just stared at everything and thought, "I know all of this, and I really don't feel like studying."

The motivation was so easy to come by when I knew it definitely mattered. But somewhere, deep inside, my mind keeps telling me to do something that will definitely contribute something meaningful to my life. Like watching Netflix and reading fantasy novels. Yes, those definitely matter more at the moment.

GAH! Is anyone trying to study having the same problem? I don't want to continue like this, but my mind just won't get into it. And how much would I regret studying my butt off for the next 21 days only to get a 30+? Okay, realistically, I'd be too happy to have regrets, but you all get my point.
I understand completely. I feel like what if (and hopefully) these 6 hour study days are a total waste! Luckily I only took two days off since the real MCAT to study again so I never really got out of MCAT mode. But I decided to cut my studying to 4 hours per day and make it more manageable until I know what my real score is.

Take care, everyone.

I am just continuing to work full time but instead of studying after work, I have been packing up my entire apartment for an upcoming move. I am moving the week of Thanksgiving so after the move and after we unpack the new place, I plan on buckling down and studying after work every single day. I need to be ready in case I have to retake but I don't even think I can start studying until December. Life is also very stressful because I work all day but am constantly taking breaks to go on AAMC hunting for a January seat with no luck. Then when I get home, I look at the enormous pile of material that I should be studying, but I have to pack instead. Unfortunately, there is no time for me to read or watch my Spartans (Go Green!). I am also trying to apply to graduate school so that I can take some graduate courses to make myself even more appealing to med schools. Annnnd I am trying to apply for a new job. I am currently a lab tech at a clinic but I want to break into some research so that I can say that I have experience with research. Life after the MCAT is almost more stressful than it was before the MCAT! (Never thought I would say that!!!)

Good luck to everyone studying! :)

The MCAT feels like it was so long ago that to think we still have to wait 3 more weeks feels like an eternity. I haven't studied anything MCAT specific, but instead am just focusing on my schoolwork which is well...
Metabolism.jpg

I had a dream last night. I was at my college studying, and someone delivered my cumulative score to me. I got a 32! Ecstatic, I went about telling all of my friends and family how well I did. Then I remembered I should check my breakdown.

32 (6/17/9).

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm going crazy. November 25th, where for art thou November 25th.

I had a dream last night. I was at my college studying, and someone delivered my cumulative score to me. I got a 32! Ecstatic, I went about telling all of my friends and family how well I did. Then I remembered I should check my breakdown.

32 (6/17/9).

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm going crazy. November 25th, where for art thou November 25th.
Dang! 17 a verbal should guarantee you an acceptance to any school!

32 (6/17/9).

This is hilarious!!!!

A night before @HCHopeful 's dream, I had a nightmare that I scored a 18 (8P,2V,8B)..it was the craziest thing. I woke up with my heart racing. :bookworm:

@JMMTB Are you taking Biochem? That looks glorious, I miss being in school.
Keep up the good work all you folks who are taking classes at the moment!! T minus 15 days!

@JMMTB Are you taking Biochem? That looks glorious, I miss being in school.
Keep up the good work all you folks who are taking classes at the moment!! T minus 15 days!
Yeah! I really enjoy biochem and I'm pretty surprised at how much of my MCAT studying really overlaps with the class. Really glad I used TBR bio because it touched on a lot of what we have covered.

Hope everyone is staying sane in these last two weeks!

Yeah! I really enjoy biochem and I'm pretty surprised at how much of my MCAT studying really overlaps with the class. Really glad I used TBR bio because it touched on a lot of what we have covered.

Hope everyone is staying sane in these last two weeks!
Yeah I loved all of my biochemistry classes! Kill it!!

Anyone else try to get a seat today? I got the text from AAMC that the final extra seats had just been released and was logging into the site within about 10 seconds, no exaggeration, and by the time I had finished logging in, probably 15 total seconds from the time the text went out, I got this screen: "our servers are currently overloaded with users, you are 438th in line to access the registration site..." which means in about 10 or less seconds enough people to completely overload their servers had already logged in, and hundreds more were in line ahead of me after those that had already managed to log into the site. Needless to say, by the time I was "allowed" in, there were no seats left, and when I checked back a little bit later to see if anything had changed, I was put in line behind *thousands* of people trying to access the registration site...

So here's hoping our scores are really good and I don't need to retake, because if I do, I'm EFFED. #2015MCATlooming

Anyone else try to get a seat today? I got the text from AAMC that the final extra seats had just been released and was logging into the site within about 10 seconds, no exaggeration, and by the time I had finished logging in, probably 15 total seconds from the time the text went out, I got this screen: "our servers are currently overloaded with users, you are 438th in line to access the registration site..." which means in about 10 or less seconds enough people to completely overload their servers had already logged in, and hundreds more were in line ahead of me after those that had already managed to log into the site. Needless to say, by the time I was "allowed" in, there were no seats left, and when I checked back a little bit later to see if anything had changed, I was put in line behind *thousands* of people trying to access the registration site...

So here's hoping our scores are really good and I don't need to retake, because if I do, I'm EFFED. #2015MCATlooming

Wow that sucks. You'd think that they'd want to make as much money as possible and add tons of seats, but apparently not...
Also, on the AAMC website's seat availability website they took a nice stab at everyone.
"Nearly all of these seats have been available for registration since February 2014 so that students could plan accordingly."
Do they not realize that students don't plan on retaking the MCAT. I think if the practice tests were truly representative of the real deal less students would be worried. Besides most students don't have every aspect of their lives planned out for a year in advance and instead adjust accordingly.
Any other thoughts on what the AAMC said?

Any other thoughts on what the AAMC said?

Eh, not really - I knew there would be a mad bum rush for seats as soon as they were available, but I honestly hadn't prepared for all the extra seats being gone within 10-15 seconds. I'm rather surprised they didn't just offer more seats purely to make more money, and it can only mean one or two things from a business perspective: it was either impossible given some constraint we're not accounting for (e.g. all the other types of tests that need to be administered at professional testing centers already having scheduled all the time the AAMC wanted) or not lucrative enough for their trouble.

C'est la vie! All I can say at this point is that I'm banking on a good score come November 25th even more than I was before today, which is hard to imagine. If I have to study for the 2015 MCAT because the AAMC didn't offer enough seats, I might just take up that career in synchronized aquatic yodeling that I've always dreamed of instead.

I've actually seen a statement from the AAMC that mentioned the main reason they would not open a large number of seats was due to not wanting to undermine the MCAT2015. If they keep opening up new seats, less and less people will take the new one, which would ultimately result in a very difficult scoring process for the first couple of test dates. While this is horrible for students who wish to take the current one, I can understand where the AAMC is coming from as a company.

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS! Gah. I am freaking.

Seriously, though. I haven't started studying for a retake just because I am too lazy :/ I can feel the itch coming back, though. I am leaving for Orlando tomorrow for a conference, and the only thing on my mind is how I could be studying for the MCAT instead. That's a pretty good sign that I need to get back in the groove.

In two weeks, we will know where we stand. I hope all of us will be satisfied and never have to worry about this again. Here's to surviving the worst of the wait thus far and getting through the remainder of the wait with our sanity. Cheers, everybody.