**** The Official Pittsburgh Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

I got offered an interview for Nov 19th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! I'm going on 11/19 as well! Did anyone else not receive the "information regarding accommodations, public transportation, parking, and directions in the attached message" in the email invite? I asked Pitt to send me the information again but they haven't yet >.< Should I just call the office again on Monday? Or should I just go ahead to book a nearby hotel? Also, how early does Pitt send out interview itineraries?

Anyone know how many they interview for the 80 spots?

Congrats everyone! I'm going on 11/19 as well! Did anyone else not receive the "information regarding accommodations, public transportation, parking, and directions in the attached message" in the email invite? I asked Pitt to send me the information again but they haven't yet >.< Should I just call the office again on Monday? Or should I just go ahead to book a nearby hotel? Also, how early does Pitt send out interview itineraries?

here you go:

Following is a list of conveniently located hotels, all within a mile or less of the School of Dental Medicine. It is NOT recommended that you make reservations at hotels outside the immediate area, as morning traffic is often very heavy, especially when coming from Pittsburgh International Airport. Applicants are responsible for making their own reservations.

The hotels are:

*The Hampton Inn, 412-681-1000, ask for the Shuttle service available 7a.m. - 10 p.m. daily on an hourly basis. Please mention the School of Dental Medicine Interview when scheduling.

*The Holiday Inn-University Center, 412-682-6200, ask for the University of Pittsburgh rate. You must mention that you are interviewing at the Dental School when making reservations to receive the University rate. Within walking distance, shuttle service is available upon
request 7:30 a.m. &#8211; 9:30 p.m.

*The Shadyside Inn, 800-767-8483, quoted rate for studio, one bedroom suite, or two bedroom suite (based on availability) is under $110. You must use the Dental School code, 4010RM-1, when making reservations to receive this rate. Shuttle service must be scheduled when reservation is placed.

*The Hilton Garden Inn, 412-683-2040, is located at the corner of Forbes Avenue and McKee Place, three (DOWNHILL) blocks from the Dental School. Shuttles are available and recommended to/from this, and all, hotel due to the nature of the topography.

*Courtyard/Shadyside, 412-683-3113or 412-992-5082, is located in Shadyside, about a mile away from campus. Mention the Interview at Pitt to receive the Pitt rate (quoted at $133). Shuttle service is available to the dental school and other points.

All hotel rates are subject to a 14% hotel
tax.

Amtrak provides daily service from Pittsburgh to Cleveland, Chicago, Harrisburg, New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., via the Capitol Limited and the Three Rivers. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (800-872-7245) fare and schedule information.

Greyhound Lines, Inc. operates frequent service to Pittsburgh's main bus terminal, located Downtown at 11th Street and Liberty Avenue. The Pittsburgh Campus can be reached by local PAT (Port Authority) buses or by taxi service. Call 1-800-231-2222 for fare and schedule information.

Port Authority of Allegheny County operates the mass transit system serving metropolitan Pittsburgh, including the Pitt Campus. Fares vary within a five-zone system extending in all directions from Downtown Pittsburgh to the outer suburbs. Basic fare is under $2.50. Exact change is required. Transfers can be purchased for a nominal amount, and can be used for one connection in any direction within three hours of the time of purchase; riders pay as they enter on inbound trips toward Downtown Pittsburgh, and pay as they
exit on outbound trips before 7:00 p.m. After 7:00 p.m., riders must pay as they enter on all trips. Bus service to the Oakland area is frequent; local buses numbered 71 (1, B, C, or D), 67 (A or F), or 61 (A, B, or C) come into Oakland and may be boarded along Fifth Avenue in Downtown Pittsburgh. For bus routes and times call 412-442-2000.

Public transportation to all hotels from the airport is available via 28X shuttle (see kiosk near baggage claim for time tables). Basic fare is under $3.00.

The University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine is located in the Oakland Area of Pittsburgh. From the Cathedral of Learning going with traffic (one way, heading west into downtown) proceed down Fifth Avenue. If driving, go into the right hand lane.

Turning right at either of two streets will take you directly to the Dental School; at the corner of Fifth Avenue and DeSoto Street (landmark is the School of Public Health on the right (currently undergoing renovation and addition.) turn right onto DeSoto, continue straight at the light, bearing left in front of the Petersen Event Center. The road becomes Terrace as you make the turn. Continue past the "Pete", at the stop sign, you will see Salk Hall directly ahead of you on the right. Enter at the first entrance on Sutherland Drive into Salk Hall. Follow signs to the Continuing Education Center.

The second option is to turn right off Fifth Avenue onto Darragh Street. (landmark is Hieber's Pharmacy on the left corner) Continuing Uphill on Darragh Street, Salk Hall will be on your right at the first light. Follow directions above to the Continuing Education Center.

The day begins at 9:00. Please arrive after 8:30. This is already a long day!

I think like 250 to 300
I read a post from '08 that said they interview 150 pre-december for 40 spots and they interview another 150 post-dec for the other 40 spots. Just wanted to see if that was still correct

I got offered an interview for Nov 19th!

got an offer as well. they offered me two dates 11/19 and 1/14. I emailed back like 20 min after the invitation was sent but I still haven't received a conf email..:confused::confused:

@HPark10: I called to confirm my 11/19 interview. Let me know if you do the same and how it goes! Good luck! :)

@aces4dds: what did she say when you called to confirm?

Also, nov date better than the jan date?

I read a post from '08 that said they interview 150 pre-december for 40 spots and they interview another 150 post-dec for the other 40 spots. Just wanted to see if that was still correct

Last edited:

I am not sure if they are still doing this.

There were (are) 4 Pre-Dec interview sessions and 2 in January. Each session has about 40-50 people (I think, can't remember exactly).

Members don't see this ad :)
@aces4dds: what did she say when you called to confirm?

Also, nov date better than the jan date?

she said she would put me down for 11/19! :) i never received a confirmation email or anything... but i bought my plane ticket and booked a hotel already. hahaha

Does anyone know how good the patient pool is or how the clinic requirements compare to Temple?

I just had my interview on the 19th and just realized that my AADSAS status has been updated to "Please check back on December 1 for more information regarding your decision status with this school" as of 11/13 ...

Did this happen to anyone?

I just had my interview on the 19th and just realized that my AADSAS status has been updated to "Please check back on December 1 for more information regarding your decision status with this school" as of 11/13 ...

Did this happen to anyone?

After my interview it changed back to "received/under review"

Does anyone know how good the patient pool is or how the clinic requirements compare to Temple?
The requirements aren't too different probably, but the patient pool at Pitt is so hot now. They've opened up evening clinic hours. At Temple, you probably won't really have to worry about having enough patients to fill your schedule.

Did anyone else's status change back to Under Review?

Yep, mine did too.

Can anyone help me understand something.....Mine said under review around 11/12-11/13 or so. Then I looked again on the 16th and it said:

University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT) PA 11/14/2012 Invited for Interview

I have received no email. I called 2 different numbers and left messages, one said they would call me back, and I sent an email. I have received no response. Any idea what's going on??

Can anyone help me understand something.....Mine said under review around 11/12-11/13 or so. Then I looked again on the 16th and it said:

University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT) PA 11/14/2012 Invited for Interview

I have received no email. I called 2 different numbers and left messages, one said they would call me back, and I sent an email. I have received no response. Any idea what's going on??

Well, can't call now, its Thanksgiving break.

Well, can't call now, its Thanksgiving break.

Yea I called Monday, the woman who answered said she'd have the appropriate person call me back. Then I called 2 numbers Tuesday and left messages, sent an email Tuesday night. No responses. Not really sure what to do other than call again Monday.

Yea I called Monday, the woman who answered said she'd have the appropriate person call me back. Then I called 2 numbers Tuesday and left messages, sent an email Tuesday night. No responses. Not really sure what to do other than call again Monday.

Did you hear back yet?

mine status on AADSAS says to check back december 3rd regarding my decision status??? what does it mean and does everyone get that

"offer made" via aadsas mobile app

Offer made as well!! Can't wait for the official call on Monday!!!

Did anyone else get a phone call from a Pitt student asking if we had any questions about the school?

Offer Made : University of Pittsburgh! So excited :love:

I thought everything went out tomorrow. You guys saying the offer was made...you mean you were accepted already?

If you had checked the mobile AADSAS app on Saturday morning before 1:30-ish, you would have seen the decisions before they all got blanked. The AADSAS mobile app accidentally released decisions on Dec 1st but then fixed the mistake

anyone get an email or phone call? All I see is offer made on aadsas.

officially accepted! Just got my call from Rosemary so excited!

Congratulations everyone! :)

My status was changed to 'Received/Under Reviews' on Nov.13th after my interview on Nov. 5th...and no change in my status yet...what can that mean? :confused: (I am a Canadian applicant) :(

Congratulations everyone! :)

My status was changed to 'Received/Under Reviews' on Nov.13th after my interview on Nov. 5th...and no change in my status yet...what can that mean? :confused: (I am a Canadian applicant) :(

I am in the same boat, I interviewed in early October, and my status changed to that as well. No word at all today..

On behalf of the the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Class of 2016, I would like to welcome and congratulate all of you that got accepted today! I truly hope to see you at PITT next fall. Our class has created a Facebook group for the class of 2017 where we can answer any questions you may have and get you excited to join us at The University of Pittsburgh. Check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/458367864186761/

or search for University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine 2017 (this is a closed group)

If you're still waiting for a response from PITT, don't fret. I understand how frustrating and stressful the Dental School application process is, but please be patient. Best of luck to all of you!

On behalf of the the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Class of 2016, I would like to welcome and congratulate all of you that got accepted today! I truly hope to see you at PITT next fall. Our class has created a Facebook group for the class of 2017 where we can answer any questions you may have and get you excited to join us at The University of Pittsburgh. Check it out here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/458367864186761/

or search for University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine 2017 (this is a closed group)

If you're still waiting for a response from PITT, don't fret. I understand how frustrating and stressful the Dental School application process is, but please be patient. Best of luck to all of you!

WOW thanks for the invite :thumbdown: :laugh:

By the way, congratulations to everyone accepted! Feel free to send me a message if you have any further questions about our school! :)

Just got in as well! Took awhile for my portal to change for some reason.

Me too- do they only notify by the portal or should I be expecting an email?

I don't remember getting an email. I do remember the portal updating, getting a phone call from Rose, and receiving a packet in the mail.

Yes, I think this is right. According to their website it is at least. I'm just waiting on my packet in the mail and wondering if its going to come to me or my permanent address haha

Yes, I think this is right. According to their website it is at least. I'm just waiting on my packet in the mail and wondering if its going to come to me or my permanent address haha

Mine went to my permanent address, so my parents got to open it instead of me!

portal changed to "offer made" on 12/3 but haven't received a phone call or email from pitt yet!