The official rotation thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My LTC preceptor did the same thing to me. Gave me like a 2 out of 5 for knowing regulatory stuff for LTC when she hatdly even taught me any of that. How was I supposed to know about it. They don't teach that stuff in class and she didn't even quiz me to assess my knowledge anyways. She was my worst preceptor.

did you dispute the grade with your school? has anyone ever done this and succeeded?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the farest you have to drive for your rotation?

I regularly have students drive 70+ miles to mine.

As a student, I had one about 2 hours away, but I would drive up on Monday morning and back on Friday evening.

Members don't see this ad :)
30 miles. I had to be in at 5am so I had to leave my house by 4am

I also had a 4 month old that was up every 2.5 hours to feed

Only 4 weeks though, everything is doable

I'm really happy with my upcoming rotation. I get to intern in the same company I work at (just not same store) and my round-trip is less than 30 miles.

Has anyone ever had to work on a weekend? My preceptor wants me to start to come in every Sat. Is this common? I don't particularly mind but I have an internship on Sat.

My school says that the site can make you come in any day/any time, nights, weekends, holidays, snow days. It's all up to the preceptor. The vast majority of preceptors only have you come in weekdays but I have had rotations that I was there later at night and I have known people who had to work some weekends when they were doing community rotations. They did not end up having to do their full number of hours though and they were not there all day on the weekend. I almost had to go in to my hospital rotation on 4th of July because the day was not marked off on my schedule but I asked my preceptor ahead of time whether or not I had the day off and she eventually told me I could stay home. The pharmacist who was working told me that she would've had me come in and she was upset I asked my preceptor about it ahead of time.

One rotation was 40 miles away in DC (I lived in Northern VA). Traffic is terrible and unpredictable. I rode the train to the metro. It took me 2 hours each way every day. Rotation was over at 2 pm, train didn't head back to VA until 4 PM so I wouldn't get home until around 6 PM. I wasn't given my schedule ahead of time and had already purchased a month pass for the train by the time I found out my schedule.

It was an awesome rotation with a pharmacist who gave us a lot of great advice about choosing your pharmacy career and savings/budget plans, etc.

What is your worst preceptor ever?

My school says that the site can make you come in any day/any time, nights, weekends, holidays, snow days. It's all up to the preceptor. The vast majority of preceptors only have you come in weekdays but I have had rotations that I was there later at night and I have known people who had to work some weekends when they were doing community rotations. They did not end up having to do their full number of hours though and they were not there all day on the weekend. I almost had to go in to my hospital rotation on 4th of July because the day was not marked off on my schedule but I asked my preceptor ahead of time whether or not I had the day off and she eventually told me I could stay home. The pharmacist who was working told me that she would've had me come in and she was upset I asked my preceptor about it ahead of time.

Wow when I was in school, the sites can't make you work on the weekend or holidays.

Wow when I was in school, the sites can't make you work on the weekend or holidays.

I have also heard stories of students working 7 days in a row. I guess that would prepare them for the "real world" LOL

Need help with hospital drugs! Anybody got a list of PO <----> IV conversion?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your worst preceptor ever?

Oooomf. Really really REALLY want to name her but I won't. This preceptor had a reputation (unknown to me until I met some grads later on who share the same story about her) of being completely worthless and boy was she worthless. We just wasted time talking about her life, she wasn't really enthusiastic about precepting, and she had the balls to call me stupid and that I would never be a clinical pharmacist. Well now I am one at a better hospital with a better salary and she got fired.

Lesson to all of my fellow pharmacists: if you don't want to help students then please forfeit your preceptor license.

Reactions: 1 user
Not all states do a "preceptor license", nor do all of our bosses ask us if we want students before they're assigned to us.

As a student, and even as a resident, I looked forward to precepting.

But students are exhausting. And a lot of work. The rest of your job doesn't stop just because you have someone making you extra work.

Oooomf. Really really REALLY want to name her but I won't. This preceptor had a reputation (unknown to me until I met some grads later on who share the same story about her) of being completely worthless and boy was she worthless. We just wasted time talking about her life, she wasn't really enthusiastic about precepting, and she had the balls to call me stupid and that I would never be a clinical pharmacist. Well now I am one at a better hospital with a better salary and she got fired.

Lesson to all of my fellow pharmacists: if you don't want to help students then please forfeit your preceptor license.

was she required to precept? it doesn't sound like she wanted to do it! just curious, why did your school keep on sending students to her site if she has such a bad rep?

what is the longest day you have ever worked? On Friday, I worked for 14 hours straight! Anybody come close to this?

what is the longest day you have ever worked? On Friday, I worked for 14 hours straight! Anybody come close to this?
19 hours once for my cardiology rotation. We had to do a call night with the on call cardiology resident after our regular day which is about 10-11 hours on its own. Long day, but I learned a lot.

19 hours once for my cardiology rotation. We had to do a call night with the on call cardiology resident after our regular day which is about 10-11 hours on its own. Long day, but I learned a lot.

were you at the hospital for 19 hours straight?

Has anyone done a rotation in Alaska? How do you like it?

I guess I got lucky...all of my rotations are in the same geographic area (within 15 miles) of the city I've been assigned. How do you guys deal with techs that suffer from delusions of grandeur in an outpatient setting? Just curious.

I guess I got lucky...all of my rotations are in the same geographic area (within 15 miles) of the city I've been assigned. How do you guys deal with techs that suffer from delusions of grandeur in an outpatient setting? Just curious.

there's no way around it.....a lot of kissing up! Pharmacists rely on techs so they are not going to choose you over a tech.

I've learned from experience that it's easier to build an ego up rather than tear one down....and when you do manage to tear it down, it comes down hard. Will you be able to handle the shockwave once it hits the ground?

You know...I'm only confrontational when I have to be. I try to remember my manners at all time but I swear on all that is Holy these girls are tearing my nerves up. They try to act like their six months of retail duty is superior to the ten years I spent as a CPhT before pharmacy school. I had one of these chicks try to schedule me for her shift on a weekend...and my preceptor wasn't even working!! I asked the preceptor and she laughed, told me it was bogus, and I went on with my day. The girl decided to confront me loudly because apparently her kid had some birthday party or something. She then told the staff I was a "snooty know-it-all." Now honestly I don't care about the name calling but I really wanted to smack the taste out of her mouth when she tried to tell me that I'd made several filling errors on a day that I wasn't even there. How do you as a pharmacist deal with this garbage? I'm genuinely curious.

I've learned from experience that it's easier to build an ego up rather than tear one down....and when you do manage to tear it down, it comes down hard. Will you be able to handle the shockwave once it hits the ground?

I agree. You are not going to win especially since you are just temporary.

I am on rotation and one of the techs has been pretty rude. When I asked for help, she would scream, "I don't have the time!". What do you suggest I do?

Does you school give you a week off between rotations as a spring break?

Does you school give you a week off between rotations as a spring break?
of the five school that I have experience with (going to, preceptor for, or been on rotations with) - none have done this,

of the five school that I have experience with (going to, preceptor for, or been on rotations with) - none have done this,

That is interest. My school has a week off between two blocks…I guess that is our "spring break".

Today is match day and that is all everyone is talking about. We should declare today an off day!

I am thinking about getting something for my preceptor as a thank you gift.

What have you gotten your preceptor? I need recommendations!

I am thinking about getting something for my preceptor as a thank you gift.

What have you gotten your preceptor? I need recommendations!

I don't buy my preceptors gifts with monetary value; I think it could give an impression of impropriety since they will be grading you. I give all my preceptors thank you cards, and for the ones I really like, I bake something for them like cupcakes or cookies.

I don't buy my preceptors gifts with monetary value; I think it could give an impression of impropriety since they will be grading you. I give all my preceptors thank you cards, and for the ones I really like, I bake something for them like cupcakes or cookies.
^^^ this ^^^ we make a lot more money than you - so something of monetary value can make us feel a little out of place. But baked goods always go over well

Good point! I am also thinking about making some cupcakes and giving them a thank you card.

Anybody here got a job thru a rotation? what distinguished you from other students?

Good point! I am also thinking about making some cupcakes and giving them a thank you card.

Anybody here got a job thru a rotation? what distinguished you from other students?
At my hospital I know of 4 of our current pharmacists that did rotations at our institution - it is a 4 week interview

At my hospital I know of 4 of our current pharmacists that did rotations at our institution - it is a 4 week interview

what did they do that differentiate them from other students? Would you say is it more about personality, networking rather than effort?

Does anybody else have to do a senor project during your last year? What is it?

Thank you for the recommendation! I ended up baking them muffins and gave each one a thank you card.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think preceptors should be reimbursed for taking students?

Yes because it takes time and it would allow the preceptors to spend more time with their students.

does anyone know how much does your school pay for hospital rotation sites?

I would hope my previous preceptor wasn't reimbursed because she was just awful. Taught me absolute jack. My current preceptor, on the other hand, deserves every penny my tuition money is going towards him.

I would hope my previous preceptor wasn't reimbursed because she was just awful. Taught me absolute jack. My current preceptor, on the other hand, deserves every penny my tuition money is going towards him.

just curious, how was your preceptor awful? did you complain to the school?

just curious, how was your preceptor awful? did you complain to the school?

When my preceptor was on duty, I was only allowed to put the order away, pull stock bottles for the tech/preceptor to count, and verify the rx and patient info at pick up. That's literally it. I told my preceptor that I've been interning with a different chain for a year (at that time) and that I'm more than willing to help out with data, product, adjudication and other queues. I wasn't given the opportunity to do those. Oh and she had the nerve to grade me on things such as formularies, MTM, etc etc, when she didn't even so much as mutter the word in front of me.

Did I complain to the school? Not really. I passed that semester's IPPE and that's what I cared about most.

When my preceptor was on duty, I was only allowed to put the order away, pull stock bottles for the tech/preceptor to count, and verify the rx and patient info at pick up. That's literally it. I told my preceptor that I've been interning with a different chain for a year (at that time) and that I'm more than willing to help out with data, product, adjudication and other queues. I wasn't given the opportunity to do those. Oh and she had the nerve to grade me on things such as formularies, MTM, etc etc, when she didn't even so much as mutter the word in front of me.

Did I complain to the school? Not really. I passed that semester's IPPE and that's what I cared about most.

If you had complained to the school. What would the school have done? Take you out of the rotation?

If you had complained to the school. What would the school have done? Take you out of the rotation?
They could go do a site evaluation. Students were able to give anonymous feedback on the sites and I know a few sites that my school cut off because it wasn't beneficial to the students and multiple students had complained.

While I didn't necessarily complain, I just explained what I did when I was at the site. Obviously the eval was ridiculously short and while you'd think there was something done about it after the semester ended, there really wasn't. One of my classmates was sent there for this semester and he/she had the same exact issues I had. This classmate was taken out of that rotation and put into mine because this individual was at my current site during the fall semester.

While I didn't necessarily complain, I just explained what I did when I was at the site. Obviously the eval was ridiculously short and while you'd think there was something done about it after the semester ended, there really wasn't. One of my classmates was sent there for this semester and he/she had the same exact issues I had. This classmate was taken out of that rotation and put into mine because this individual was at my current site during the fall semester.

We should seriously create a website that rates preceptors! Rotations are so important. Only people who want to precept should allow to do so.

Do you think it would be appropriate to befriend your preceptor on FB while you are still on rotation? lol

Do you think it would be appropriate to befriend your preceptor on FB while you are still on rotation? lol

Once the rotation is completed.