The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to make sure that this is happening to everyone else. Every time I push the button to submit something on the OSU website (the white coat ceremony rsvp / matriculation survey / scholarship thing) nothing really happens and I never get confirmation. I keep assuming that it's happening for everyone, but I'd like peace of mind.

Members don't see this ad.

bamf7 said:
I just want to make sure that this is happening to everyone else. Every time I push the button to submit something on the OSU website (the white coat ceremony rsvp / matriculation survey / scholarship thing) nothing really happens and I never get confirmation. I keep assuming that it's happening for everyone, but I'd like peace of mind.
Yeah, that happened to me too. I clicked about three times before giving up, maybe I'll get three coats on the 9th :p

Members don't see this ad :)
bamf7 said:

I remember having that issue last year with the white coat thing as well. I think I submitted it 3 or 4 times. I'm not sure about the matriculation survey. For the scholarship thing, though, once I accepted it online, my page said "accepted" from then on. I think I would call admissions on that one . . . you're probably fine, but I would hate to find out that some glitch in the system cost me a scholarship.

Emergency! said:
I remember having that issue last year with the white coat thing as well. I think I submitted it 3 or 4 times. I'm not sure about the matriculation survey. For the scholarship thing, though, once I accepted it online, my page said "accepted" from then on. I think I would call admissions on that one . . . you're probably fine, but I would hate to find out that some glitch in the system cost me a scholarship.

I accepted that. We had to do another scholarship survey to see if we were eligible for anything else. Thanks for letting us know about the white coat thing though. That's the main reason I want to be a doctor. ;)

For those who aren't planning to take the OSU Lenovo X41 Tablet, are you still going to get another tablet? Or are you just sticking with a regular laptop? I can't make up my mind if I really want/need a tablet or not.

Does anybody know if we get our names on our white coat? I know that if so it won't be until after the ceremony -- but I also heard that only 3s and 4s have their name on their coat. Just curious ;)

buckeyedeltamd said:
Does anybody know if we get our names on our white coat? I know that if so it won't be until after the ceremony -- but I also heard that only 3s and 4s have their name on their coat. Just curious ;)

At the White Coat Ceremony, you will get a blank coat in whatever size you ordered. They will have extras there in case you ordered a size that was way too huge or way too small. The first week of classes, if you need to get a different coat, they will exchange them for you. If they don't have the size you need, they will order you a new one. I think you can also order a second coat at this time as well, but you don't really need a second one first year.

As for the names - as soon as the day after the white coat you can take your coat to the hospital and have your name embroidered on it and the College patch. They encourage you to do it soon because it can take WEEKS to get them back. (The coats are sent out somewhere else for the embroidery). Last year, we were required to have our white coat for the second anatomy exam (there is a short portion that we do with standardized patients).

Emergency! said:
At the White Coat Ceremony, you will get a blank coat in whatever size you ordered. They will have extras there in case you ordered a size that was way too huge or way too small. The first week of classes, if you need to get a different coat, they will exchange them for you. If they don't have the size you need, they will order you a new one. I think you can also order a second coat at this time as well, but you don't really need a second one first year.

As for the names - as soon as the day after the white coat you can take your coat to the hospital and have your name embroidered on it and the College patch. They encourage you to do it soon because it can take WEEKS to get them back. (The coats are sent out somewhere else for the embroidery). Last year, we were required to have our white coat for the second anatomy exam (there is a short portion that we do with standardized patients).
Do we need scrubs for anatomy lab or anything?

angietron3000 said:
Do we need scrubs for anatomy lab or anything?

A lot of people bought scrubs. Some people just wore old clothes. If you choose to buy scrubs, don't spend a lot of money . . . you will just throw them away after anatomy anyways. No matter how many times you wash them, you will never get rid of the stench. If you have an old pair of comfortable shoes, you might want to save them for anatomy lab instead of tossing them before moving. I think one of the "guides" out there recommends a lab coat for anatomy as well. Definitely don't buy one of those. They will have a huge stack of used ones available, and you can just wear an old long sleeved shirt, if you decide you want to keep your arms covered. I didn't wear a lab coat. Probably the only reason I might have wanted one was because our cadaver was right underneath an A/C vent and at times I was freezing!

Emergency! said:
A lot of people bought scrubs. Some people just wore old clothes. If you choose to buy scrubs, don't spend a lot of money . . . you will just throw them away after anatomy anyways. No matter how many times you wash them, you will never get rid of the stench. If you have an old pair of comfortable shoes, you might want to save them for anatomy lab instead of tossing them before moving. I think one of the "guides" out there recommends a lab coat for anatomy as well. Definitely don't buy one of those. They will have a huge stack of used ones available, and you can just wear an old long sleeved shirt, if you decide you want to keep your arms cold. I didn't wear a lab coat. Probably the only reason I might have wanted one was because our cadaver was right underneath an A/C vent and at times I was freezing!

Yes...the lab coat is a bit of a double edged sword. It helps keep you warm in the lab...which is pretty cold (and I dont usually get cold..). But, on the other hand, those sleves get disgusting and tend to hold the goo right next to your skin. There really should be enough tools and lab coats and dirty atlases to go around next year, as I'm not aware of anyone who didnt leave all that stuff last year.

One thing to get now if you want to save a little money would be gloves...the bookstore sells nitrile gloves for ~$35 a box (latex is cheaper...but lets more smell through in my opinion...) Which is an insane price. I got them from my dad...hes a dentist and pays something like $7 a box....even less for latex. Your group will need several boxes over the course of the quarter.

Emergency! said:
I didn't wear a lab coat. Probably the only reason I might have wanted one was because our cadaver was right underneath an A/C vent and at times I was freezing!

A lab coat would've also protected you when our cadaver's leg fell on top of you.

Hey, what are the out-of-staters in this thread doing to find a place to live? I'll be moving out from CA a week before orientation and I'm trying to look for places online. Problem is, there's no way I can get there earlier to check places out, I'm a little hesitant to sign a lease sight unseen or move in with roommates I've never met..

So far I've mostly been looking on craiglist, but do any of you have suggestions for other places to look? I know I'd really like to live in or near the short north but the prices vary so much I'm wondering if there are dodgy areas to stay away from? I've heard that east of high st is not so good.. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Angie -

Have you tried contacting a realtor or rental agency? I have heard of people using those with decent success. Another option might be to look for a short term rental (1 month or less) and then look for a place when you get here. It would suck moving twice, but that way at least you would get to personally pick out a place to live. If you use an agency to help you find a place, maybe you can make an agreement that you can break the lease with no penalty if the place isn't what you were looking for.

I do have a couple friends in the short north that might be able to check out places for you, although personally, I hesitate to look at places for someone I don't know because I would feel guilty if they picked a place based on my advice and then hated it.

I know admissions did a housing survey - I'm not sure how to access it, but you could always call them and ask them if they have any surveys for places in that area. They might also be able to direct you to an agent to help you find a place or advise you as to what other out-of-state students have done in the past.

I had a question about the PLUS loan. When I talked to the financial aid guy he said that Ohio State would be making a decision as to if they are going to accept this kind of federal loan this week. Is this a loan for parents... and if not where would we be going to apply for this loan. Otherwise ( Im an OOS student) I am not sure which of the private lenders I will use. Is it worth to wait for their decision much longer?

mulligan!! said:
I had a question about the PLUS loan. When I talked to the financial aid guy he said that Ohio State would be making a decision as to if they are going to accept this kind of federal loan this week. Is this a loan for parents... and if not where would we be going to apply for this loan. Otherwise ( Im an OOS student) I am not sure which of the private lenders I will use. Is it worth to wait for their decision much longer?

Yes, the PLUS loan is for parents. Other than that, I don't know much about it. I don't know when you talked to Sam last, but it might be worth it to call him again. I'm sure he would be happy to give you the name of private lenders that students have worked with and how those companies have been and/or tell you more about the PLUS loan. I have found Sam to be incredibly helpful, and now that they have finally hired another person and have the office back up to full strength, I look for them to get things done a little quicker.

On another topic entirely, is rap/hip hop prevalent there?

Haha, I'm not sure how big rap is in Ohio in general, but hopefully someone has insight on that one.

So they updated the course websites for us, and this is what it says for Anatomy books. To current OSUers, do you think all of these are necessary? For the ones you recommend, should we try to find them online for cheap now, or wait until we get to school next month? Thanks!

Required Textbooks

* Essential Clinical Anatomy, Second Edition (2002) by K. L. Moore and A. M. R. Agur, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. This is the core text for gross anatomy. Page numbers in assigned readings correspond to the Second Edition.
Langman's Medical Embryology, Ninth Edition (2004) by T.W. Sadler, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. This is the core text for embryology. Page numbers in assigned readings correspond to the Ninth Edition. This edition includes a CD with animations of embryology.
* Grant's Dissector, Thirteenth Edition, (2005) by Patrick W. Tank, Lippincott Williams & Wilkens. Page numbers in the course schedule and in assignments are referenced to the Thirteen edition.
* Lachman's Case Studies in Anatomy, Fourth Edition (1997) revised by D. R. Cahill, Oxford University Press. A collection of fifty anatomical case studies that encourages critical thinking and problem solving. Cases will be assigned from this text to integrate your dissections and clinical anatomy.
* An atlas of gross anatomy. Each dissection table must have at least one atlas to work with in the lab. You may wish to buy another atlas for your individual study and future reference.
o Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, Eleventh Edition (2005) by A. M. R. Agur and A. F. Dalley, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. This is a "teaching atlas" and is recommended highly by anatomy instructors. The figures are drawings of actual dissections in the Anatomical Museum at the University of Toronto. Figure legends draw attention to critical anatomical relationships. The Eleventh Edition includes a CD with nearly 800 still images from the atlas, selected video clips, and 100 USMLE-style review questions.
o Atlas of Human Anatomy by F.H. Netter, Third Edition (2003) Icon Learning Systems. This is a favorite of medical students because Netter's style and interpretation is so attractive. However, there are no figure legends and some use of non-standard terms.
o Color Atlas of Anatomy, Fifth Edition (2002) by J.W. Rohen, C. Yokochi and E. Lutjen-Drecoll, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Exquisite photographs, not drawings, of dissections. Occasional figure legends.
o A Regional Atlas of Human Anatomy, Fourth Edition (1997) by C.D. Clemente, Williams & Wilkins. Beautiful drawings and extensive figure legends.
o Sabotta Atlas of Human Anatomy, Two volume set, Twelfth Edition, (1996) by R. Putz, R. Pabst and A.N. Taylor, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
* An atlas of sectional anatomy. Assignments will be made from the "electronic" atlas, NetAnatomy. This resource was developed by the faculty of George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences and is excellent. It correlates images of the Visible Human Project with medical images and includes a quiz function. It is interactive, accessible on the web, and made available at no charge.
* The following "text" atlases of sectional anatomy are recommended.
o Human Sectional Anatomy: Pocket Atlas of Body Sections, CT, and MRI Images Second Edition (2001) by H. Ellis, B.M. Logan and A.K. Dixon, Arnold Publishers. This atlas is by a British group who have correlated sections of the body with computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This is an excellent atlas.
o Cross-Sectional Human Anatomy (2000) by D. Dean and T. E. Herbener, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. The strength of this atlas is that it uses images from the Visible Human Project and correlates those images with CT and MRI.
* A medical dictionary. Any full-sized, not concise medical dictionary (e.g., Stedman's Medical Dictionary, Dorland's Medical Dictionary) will serve you in this course and throughout your career.

FutureDrKt said:
To current OSUers, do you think all of these are necessary?

For the ones you recommend, should we try to find them online for cheap now, or wait until we get to school next month? Thanks!

Hell No!!!

and

The cheaper the better. You can find them online cheaper than the bookstore for sure, but perhaps not cheaper than the used book sale during orientation. The downside of that however, is that there will not be enough at the sale to go around. The first group or two to get to the sale will pretty much clean it out.

Ok...here are my thoughts...your first block (anatomy and histology for you guys) you should get the necessary books and then truely evaluate how much they help you. I have only bought a book or two since anatomy and am of the opinion that many of my classmates waste a ton of their prescious time reading about stuff they wont remember and dosent matter.

Ok...so that being said....if I could do it over...here is what I would buy from that list

Anatomy Atlas
(one...either Grants or Netter's...dosent matter...you'll people split about which is better...i prefer Grants ever so slightly...dont get cross section one...the ones used for class are online....I have heard Rohen is good, but its expensive so I would only get it if I knew that I was too squeemish to go to anatomy lab (you wont be..))

Essential Clinical Anatomy
(known forever onward to you as "ECA")
This is the "test" to see if reading a text does it for you. I found this book to be poorly written, the pictures arent nearly as good as either atlas.

Lachmans
I enjoyed this one. It just has short clinical case studies that involve anatomy. Some of these are on the test. You can get it if you want, but since you only need it for 1 hr or less (mostly less) for each tests, you would be fine just to read it at the library (on reserve). Once anatomy is over I dont think it is a book that would be of future use as its just not efficient for boards, review, etc...

Langman's Embryo
The text is ok...but is major overkill...the pictures are truely aweful. I'm not sure they acutally illustrate anything. I'd get it anyway for that textbook testing thing I was talking about.

Medical Dictionary
-Critical, but I wouldnt buy one. I use www.thefreedictionary.com or the CD that came with my Steadmans.

If you want the Steadman's, may I suggest waiting until orientation and joining the AMA, which will give you one as a gift for joining (dont get the dissection kit...).

The AMSA (american medical student association) will give you a free netters for joining and signing up for a credit card that you can just cancel. However, I like to warn people about this because many people join without realizing what politics their money is being used to perpetrate...er I mean perpetuate.

You also absolutely need a Grants Dissector. Your group needs a designated greesy one for lab and you need one at home. This is your list of terms to know and the diagrams are great because of their simplicity.

Thank you so much logos! OK, I have one more question on books- what do you guys think about board review books- which ones (if any) should we buy now to accompany our studying?

I'll give my contribution/addition to Logos' list.

Atlas Netter's has better pictures, Grant's has better explanations. Rohen's is good if you have difficulty translating the pictures in the other two to what they actually look like on real people. I got Netter's for home and then supplemented with Netanatomy and a couple of other gross anatomy sites for actual human photos. If I thought a particular section in Netter's was weak or someone said that Grant's had a nice explanation of something, I would go check out the reserve copy at the library for a couple of hours. Grant's comes with a nice CD that you can use to quiz yourself (has most of the pics on it, that you can then remove the labels from). I checked the library out from the library and loaded it on my computer (you don't need the CD to run it).

ECA I would probably buy this one. Some people had the full size text by the same author's and preferred to use it. Although it is poorly written in spots, I used it quite a bit.

Lachman's Can be an interesting read. But, as Logos said, you really only need about an hour to read the assigned cases and you can check it out on closed reserve from the library instead of buying it. I also know a lot of people who didn't buy it and did just fine. If you know your anatomy well, you should be able to answer the test questions based on the cases even without reading them.

Langman's Definitely overkill. However, Dr. Clark does base a number of his objectives out of the text and doesn't necessarily cover said objectives in lecture. After the first test, I quit actually reading the assigned chapters and just looked up the objectives in the text and studied the objectives and lecture notes. As for buying it . . . maybe. Again, you could get away with checking it out from the library on closed reserve or maybe sharing a copy with a classmate.

Dictionary Get the free one for joining AMA. It's a better value than the dissection kit.

Cross-sectional Don't buy one. Net anatomy should be sufficient for everything you need.

Grant's Dissector Absolutely essential. You need to have one for personal use.

If you can find some good deals on half.com or something on some of these guys, go ahead and buy them. There will be a book sale during orientation, but the good stuff goes fast, and if you're in the last group like I was, the good stuff will all be gone. There won't be many atlases at the sale, because people tend to keep those. There will probably be a fair amount of the other books, though. I know I would be willing to part with Langman's and Lachman's (already sold my dissector on half.com). There should be a good supply of greasy, grimey dissectors and atlases for your anatomy group to buy for the lab.

BTW - bring your checkbook to orientation. You'll need it to buy books at the book sale, join AMA, AMSA, etc, and buy your parking permit.

FutureDrKt said:
Thank you so much logos! OK, I have one more question on books- what do you guys think about board review books- which ones (if any) should we buy now to accompany our studying?

People either love or hate First Aid. If you make it a point to use it as you are going through med 1 and 2 and perhaps take additional notes in it, it could be well worthwhile. BRS Physiology and BRS Pathology are also good (especially if you do ISP). Some of the High Yield Books are great, others not so great. Again, there will be a fair number of these books available at the orientation book sale and other book sales held throughout the year.

Is this list updated? I was searching online and found that there is a 3rd edition published in 2006 for the ECA. Are we supposed to stick with the old one?

Hi everyone I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Finsen and I will be joining OSU as a med1 student in August. Hope to meet all of you soon.

Finsen said:
Is this list updated? I was searching online and found that there is a 3rd edition published in 2006 for the ECA. Are we supposed to stick with the old one?
I'm wondering this myself- there is also a 10th edition of Langman's out now too. Maybe the profs want to give us a chance to get used books or just don't want to update their syllabi. One month until August 9th everyone!

FutureDrKt said:
I'm wondering this myself- there is also a 10th edition of Langman's out now too. Maybe the profs want to give us a chance to get used books or just don't want to update their syllabi. One month until August 9th everyone!

That's a great question. I think I would hold off on buying those two books. Last year, I bought Grant's Dissector based on the list online, which stated the 12th edition, only to arrive at orientation and find out that we needed the 13th edition. There were significant differences between the two editions, so I ended up having to buy the new one. Whether or not it makes a difference will depend on how many changes they made between editions.

I'll see if I can find anything out this week for you guys regarding the new editions. I don't think its an intentional thing - I think that the profs simply don't think about getting the webpage updated.

Anyone know where I can find a class schedule? I'm going to start conditioning for getting up early again. I want to see how early I need to get up.

bamf7 said:
Anyone know where I can find a class schedule? I'm going to start conditioning for getting up early again. I want to see how early I need to get up.

I don't think they give you access to the schedule until orientation, but classes will start at either 8 or 8:30, M-F. Hard to tell for sure - they change it back and forth from year to year. There may be an occasional day where they don't start until 9 - 9:30, but not often.

Most days classes will be until 11:30 - 12, with afternoon sessions once or twice a week (usually done by 2). At least, during anatomy

bamf7 said:
I'm pretty sure it's 8:30-11:30 every day, plus some afternoons. Fun, huh?

Thanks. I'm setting my alarm for a 7:00 run. One month to go!

How do the scrubs for anatomy lab work? Do we buy them during orientation or attempt to find them on our own? Is just one pair enough? Thanks!

Has anyone been working on the HIPAA online tests? How much time does that take?

Finsen said:
Has anyone been working on the HIPAA online tests? How much time does that take?
About 30 minutes total- they're not difficult, just boring.

Do any of you current or incoming students know anything about Goverours Square for housing?

allow me to reintroduce myself, my name is hov...Face it y'all, y'all *iggaz playin basic ball, I'm on the block like I'm eight feet tall, Homey, I'm in the drop with the AC on, That's why the, streets embrace me dawg, I'm so cool!

so say that i won the lottery for a ticket to the osu vs. texas game in austin on sept. 9. how flexible are professors about students missing class/lab time for something like this? would i need to make sure i left friday night and got back before monday morning? i'm arranging flight reservations soon...

i'm an incoming Med 1, btw.

FutureDrKt said:
How do the scrubs for anatomy lab work? Do we buy them during orientation or attempt to find them on our own? Is just one pair enough? Thanks!

They don't sell any scrubs at the medical school. The bookstores carry them. I found the ones at College Town to be reasonably priced. Most people only bought one set. I took mine home and washed them after each test (every three weeks) so that they didn't get TOO nasty, but other people didn't wash theirs at all, I don't think. :eek:

doublebuckeye said:
so say that i won the lottery for a ticket to the osu vs. texas game in austin on sept. 9. how flexible are professors about students missing class/lab time for something like this? would i need to make sure i left friday night and got back before monday morning? i'm arranging flight reservations soon...

i'm an incoming Med 1, btw.

Nobody will ever know if you're not in lecture. As for lab, they encourage you to be at lab, but they certainly don't make a big deal of it if you aren't there a couple of days. Whatever dissecting is done those days, you will just need to make sure that you take the time to go into the lab on your own and make sure you can identify those structures. If you have small group PCM or PD on Monday, you should be able to switch to the wednesday group that week - just ask ahead of time.

The biggest factor for you will depend on whether or not there is an exam on Friday. They are NOT going to be flexible on that. (Kind of hard to be, with the anatomy practical). Last year, the practical and PD practicals were in the AM, and the written exam usually started at 1 or 2. Usually, the exams are every three weeks, (which would put the first exam on 9/1) but since they have decided to add histology to anatomy this year and extend anatomy from 12 weeks to 13 1/2 weeks, I'm not sure how that will work out. If you call the admissions office, someone ought to be able to look at the tentative schedule and tell you whether or not an exam is scheduled for the 8th or tell you who to contact.

Congrats on winning the lottery! I didn't put in for it, because the way I understood the rules was that I would only be eligible for one ticket (even though I'm married) and had no desire to be stuck with the dilemma of what to do with one ticket.

Hi guys,

I've got a question for anyone familiar with the area. I am looking at living out in Hilliard near Roberts road/spindler. I tested the commute this morning, and it was 22 min to the dirt lot that is being paved. Is this about avg? Does it really take longer during the semester?

Also, for anyone living in the Hilliard area -- how bad are the roads/highways in the winter?? (specifically Roberts, I-270 S, 70, 670, and 315??)

Hi guys, quick question for those in the know--

I don't really care for football (yet). I've been living in Ann Arbor in Michigan's shadow for the last 4 years and I'm really only interested in going to the game on Nov. 18th to watch OSU kick the living crap out of U of M. :smuggrin: How would I go about getting tix for just that one game?

I'm so sorry to hear you're from Ann Arbor! (jk, nice place but I have to be against it on principle.) I went to OSU for undergrad, and from experience spare tickets can be hard to come by and will be nearly IMPOSSIBLE for the Michigan game. You're pretty unlikely to get a ticket at anywhere near a reasonable price unless you know someone who doesn't want to go to the game (but it happens). I would recommend actually buying the student ticket if you can afford it and using it to just go to the big game. (you may find out that you're glad to have it once the football craziness starts on campus).
You could then sell the remaining tickets to students who want to bring a friend. It's the most likely way of getting to the Michigan game, and even if you couldn't rid yourself of the other tickets, the price of a full season ticket is going to be way less than it would cost you to buy a ticket from someone or on Ebay. (they can go for thousands)
(hope that helps and wasn't too confusing!!!)

Also, to anyone interested in books . . . I was on campus today, so I stopped by the bookstore to see if any of our books were available. As of today, they haven't received the lists from the college so they don't have anything yet.

:cool:

Emergency! said:
They don't sell any scrubs at the medical school. The bookstores carry them. I found the ones at College Town to be reasonably priced. Most people only bought one set. I took mine home and washed them after each test (every three weeks) so that they didn't get TOO nasty, but other people didn't wash theirs at all, I don't think. :eek:

I was in the dont wash crowd. I had two pair of old crappy scrubs so I threw the first pair away halfway through and switched to the second.

Dr.Erin2B said:
Hi guys, quick question for those in the know--

I don't really care for football (yet). I've been living in Ann Arbor in Michigan's shadow for the last 4 years and I'm really only interested in going to the game on Nov. 18th to watch OSU kick the living crap out of U of M. :smuggrin: How would I go about getting tix for just that one game?

I would say your best bet would be to by the student season and then sell the games you dont want. Shouldnt be hard, as there will be quite a few people in your class without tickets.

flyingjbird said:
Hi guys,

I've got a question for anyone familiar with the area. I am looking at living out in Hilliard near Roberts road/spindler. I tested the commute this morning, and it was 22 min to the dirt lot that is being paved. Is this about avg? Does it really take longer during the semester?

Also, for anyone living in the Hilliard area -- how bad are the roads/highways in the winter?? (specifically Roberts, I-270 S, 70, 670, and 315??)

I'm not entirely sure about the first question, but if you drove it at about 7:30am then that should be pretty representative. I dont see why it would take any longer during the school year.

Regarding the roads in the winter...they shouldnt be bad....Large roads like 315 270 etc are pretty much always clear due to high traffic.

Ok so I'm looking at private loans, and I feel LOST on what to look at, who's going to screw me etc! I only have a connection at the library (I moved already and don't have internet access at home yet) so it sucks to drive and do the research here...what company has anyone used, hated, what would people recommend? I've called the financial aid office, but I can't get a response about particular companies. I'm not even sure if anyone would like to talk about this either, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Katy

Katya00 said:
Ok so I'm looking at private loans, and I feel LOST on what to look at, who's going to screw me etc! I only have a connection at the library (I moved already and don't have internet access at home yet) so it sucks to drive and do the research here...what company has anyone used, hated, what would people recommend? I've called the financial aid office, but I can't get a response about particular companies. I'm not even sure if anyone would like to talk about this either, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Katy
I was thinking about dropping by the FA office Monday, but if they're not helpful on the private loan stuff I'm not sure that would be worth it. My husband used "my rich uncle" for his grad school loans and they were easy to use, but i'm not sure how the interest rates compare. I need to buckle down I guess to do research. I'll post if I find anything worthwhile....
Melissa

Katya00 said:

Katy
I KNOW! I've called several times and he doesn't have any info on the companies, didn't help much when i asked him about various rates, fees, etc. Everyone in the Fin Aid forum seems to swear by T.H.E. but I checked it out and I don't think OSU students can get private loans from them.. I'm thinking of just going with CitiAssist since they offered prime rate and no origination fees, guess we'll have to wait and see how that works out!

olydoc2b said:
I'll post if I find anything worthwhile....
Melissa

Please do! I'm such a baby-- I see all the big numbers and crazy symbols and small print and... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:.

I freak out over how much I'm borrowing (seeing as I barely have a solid 20 dollars to my name) and tell myself I'll figure this out later.