The Official UCLA waitlist thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mr Reddly said:
bouncy.gif
bouncy.gif
bouncy.gif
bouncy.gif

bouncy.gif
I'm sooo happpy !
bouncy.gif

bouncy.gif
bouncy.gif
bouncy.gif
bouncy.gif

...ok, so it doesn't take much. :D
My parents would have totally wished I were you -- Easily Satisfied :D

Members don't see this ad.

twizzlers said:
Ok, my "final decision letter sent" date has changed to 7/23. Is UCLA sending out rejection letters yet to the waitlisters, cause I don't want to get excited and assume this is an acceptance just yet. It's unfortunately too late to call the admissions office, and since I'm currently out of town, I don't know if anyone has called my house either. I really hope it's an acceptance, but I guess I won't know for sure until Monday. :scared:

Congrats, twizzlers. But it's hard not to envy you though. hehe. best of luck. ;)

congrats twizz.

man theres another davis-er i wont be able to meet again up there. ive lost my will to check the status page now haha blah!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got back home to check my phone messages, and there's one from Friday afternoon telling me to call back the UCLA med school admissions office. I'm taking that as a good sign, though I won't officially celebrate until talking to someone directly at the admissions office on Monday. :)

Thanks for the good wishes, and jlee and kwanny, I really hope you guys will hear something too. :) And Mr Reddly, if I have actually been accepted, I hope you get my UCI spot. :D

Hi everyone, congrats twizzlers!!

well i wanted to ask you guys, do you know if the DEAN will meet with anyone at all?

Do you think hes in the office every so often and how one could make an appointment with him?

thanks!!

congrats to everyone!

sorry just one more question

When is your orientation, and also when does actual school start for ucla med?

thanks a bunch!

So it turns out I really was accepted. :) :) :) I still can't believe they actually took me!
BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD, I myself don't know of anyone who met the dean (Dean Parker) personally, but I have heard of waitlisters who have e-mailed or called him. Maybe it'd be possible to set up an appointment that way. Orientation for UCLA is next Monday, Aug. 2nd, and classes start the following Monday, August 9th.

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD said:
sorry just one more question

When is your orientation, and also when does actual school start for ucla med?

thanks a bunch!
Technically though, they may accept 1-2 students during orientation if someone withdraw at the very very last minute. Orientation week contains lots of useful info, but I'm sure one can catch up the material if accepted during orientation week.

Hmm... i wonder how many people are still on the waitlist right now... 50?

hi guys, thanks for the response.....i hope somewhere in these next couple days someone drops out, i took in another letter for Ms. Fobert today, its my 5th one, I hope that it helps!

the great thing is that i commuted to ucla for four years as an undergrad, so housing isnt trouble for me right now, gosh i hope i get in!!!

much luv!

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD said:
hi guys, thanks for the response.....i hope somewhere in these next couple days someone drops out, i took in another letter for Ms. Fobert today, its my 5th one, I hope that it helps!

the great thing is that i commuted to ucla for four years as an undergrad, so housing isnt trouble for me right now, gosh i hope i get in!!!

much luv!
Yea...I'm sure about this but it's worth a try: Call admissions office and see if it's possible to talk to Lili Fobert (Director of Admissions) over the phone about your application and your interest in the school. Tel#: 310-825-6081

I talked to Fobert on the phone before about my student visa stuff and she seemed helpful.

thanks calbe....i appreciate your help.

I ve done all i can i guess, i went today and gave my 5th letter of intent....il call her tomorrow though, like u said, thanks!!!

noosh

my friend just got in off the waitlist to JOHNS HOPKINS today so he will be letting go of his spot at UCLA!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALLL

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeez... I'm not sure which is more painstaking... to wait for a spot to get open in the class... or to wait and only to find out someone else took that spot...

aight... i'm not even gonna check this website till monday... it's too painful... although everyone who do get pulled off the waitlist deserve to be congratulated... = p

Hey Kwanny... if it helps, I'm in your spot. Three people from uci this last week... And they are full now. I called, I wrote, I'll be heading back east. (took a nose dive for 2 days though)

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD said:

much luv!

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD: I was told by Dr. Parker's assistant that it's the policy not to schedule meetings with waitlisted students, but she also did all but state specifically that those who want it badly enough find a workaround and get to see/talk/email/etc him. I left a letter with her requesting that he/AdCom review my application since it was getting close to a start date at another school I was accepted at. Two and a half weeks later I got in. Just be very nice, polite and firm about it. I'm sure you've made it very clear to them by now that you really, really want this school and will take it the minute the offer comes through. At this point they want a sure shot since they don't have much time to call around. I also made that clear in my update letters and LOIs.
There's still time. Some MSII I met at the UCLA gym were talking about students who got in during orientation, so it seems every year somebody gets lucky during that week. Good luck!
I think living in La Jolla is probably even better then Westwood/West LA

thanks jimi for the great post, i appreciate all your help and advice, i just emailed ms fobert to ask if she had received the letter i left her. Hopefully, some grace from above will shine upon me, and if not, i guess its not meant to be!

and purple rainbow thanks for the great news, there is still hope!!!

i wish everyone the best of luck!

much luv

JimDiGriz said:
BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD: I was told by Dr. Parker's assistant that it's the policy not to schedule meetings with waitlisted students, but she also did all but state specifically that those who want it badly enough find a workaround and get to see/talk/email/etc him. I left a letter with her requesting that he/AdCom review my application since it was getting close to a start date at another school I was accepted at. Two and a half weeks later I got in. Just be very nice, polite and firm about it. I'm sure you've made it very clear to them by now that you really, really want this school and will take it the minute the offer comes through. At this point they want a sure shot since they don't have much time to call around. I also made that clear in my update letters and LOIs.
There's still time. Some MSII I met at the UCLA gym were talking about students who got in during orientation, so it seems every year somebody gets lucky during that week. Good luck!
I think living in La Jolla is probably even better then Westwood/West LA
I wonder if Dr. Parker or Lili Fobert has more control over getting people off the WL?? I'd suggest people to contact both to maximize the chance. But Dr. Parker seems less reachable b/c he's like busy all the time as an assistant (or associate?) dean.

Thank you, I finally got that so expected call!! Very exciting,

congratulations aguilafm! welcome to the class! wow....you must be absolutely thrilled! we'll see you soon!

aguilafm said:
Thank you, I finally got that so expected call!! Very exciting,
You mean "unexpected" call, right? COngrats! ;)

So... is that it?? :eek:

Didn't someone mention earlier that they can make offers until August 4?

i thought it was possible to get an offer right up to the first day of class.

how unlikely is that? has it even happened in the past?

my friend, he is an MS3 and i remember he said either someone in his class or the one before had someone get accepted on the first day of class.

i am on the waitlist

shanddallar said:
Didn't someone mention earlier that they can make offers until August 4?

That was me. The admissions office told me that when I called them 2 weeks ago. So there is still some hope...2 more days of hope! but better than nothing...*sigh*

kweenkong said:
That was me. The admissions office told me that when I called them 2 weeks ago. So there is still some hope...2 more days of hope! but better than nothing...*sigh*

:eek: ... :scared: ...