The Official UCLA waitlist thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Afternoon bump. I'm thirsty.

Members don't see this ad.

So here I am this morning, checking the admissions web page for the 10000th time and what do I see? Status updated: 7/6/2004.
I AM IN!!!!!!!!

Congrats! :clap:
Hopefully, a few more will follow.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh that's so awesome. congratulations! many people at this moment wish they were you. =)

JimDiGriz said:
So here I am this morning, checking the admissions web page for the 10000th time and what do I see? Status updated: 7/6/2004.
I AM IN!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

Just wondering, when was your interview? how have you been updating them after being put on the waitlist? thanks!

i got off the ucsf waitlist on monday and the ucla waitlist on tuesday....i have to make my choice within 10 days i believe...

do u guys know as waitlisters, are we immediately ineligable for school scholarships/grants...also, is it too late to get housing? i had everything all planned out at ucsd and now i don't know what to do....already had a roommate, great apartment, a regents scholarship...should i give it all up for ucsf or ucla?

envelope said:
i got off the ucsf waitlist on monday and the ucla waitlist on tuesday....i have to make my choice within 10 days i believe...
Don't worry, Harvard will probably call tomorrow at the rate you're going :thumbup:
:p Congrats BTW!

envelope said:

do u guys know as waitlisters, are we immediately ineligable for school scholarships/grants...also, is it too late to get housing? i had everything all planned out at ucsd and now i don't know what to do....already had a roommate, great apartment, a regents scholarship...should i give it all up for ucsf or ucla?

First off, congratulations. UCSF, UCLA or UCSD - what a great choice you get to make. :)

About the money.. if you have shown a lot of need on your financial aid forms (you and your family have a low income, etc.) you'll probably get some sort of a grant. I don't know how much money a Regents Scholarship is, but I suspect a need-based grant will be a lot less money than a scholarship like that. (For example, the max need-based grant at UCI is 6,000 dollars, and you need a pretty low-income just to get that. The rest is all loans, but I don't know how much UCSF and UCLA give out.)

I would doubt that people who get off waitlists are offered scholarships... but just to be sure, I would give a call to the Financial Aid offices of UCSF and UCLA to ask what your financial reward may be. If you tell them that it's an important factor in making a decision between the three schools, they'll probably give you a close estimate even if they don't have the exact numbers yet. :)

Congrats JimDiGriz and envelope! I'm so glad you both got in. I hope you both decide to come! :thumbup:

kwanny said:
Congrats!

Just wondering, when was your interview? how have you been updating them after being put on the waitlist? thanks!

Thanks kwanny and everybody else for the kind words. I interviewed in early March, got waitlisted in the batch of letters sent out on 4/22 and my status changed on 7/6. Since July 5th was a university holiday, they processed all the new waitlist movement on the 6th. They do it in batches and from what I understand, this is definitely not the last batch. The AdCom is coming up with the list of names for the next waitlist movement as I'm typing this.

I sent in a Letter of Intent (LOI) to enroll if accepted, plus two or three updates (I personally brought in correspondence to the admissions office every time) and four extra rec letters (one academic, one from my boss, two from community leaders). I've heard conflicting reports on the usefulnes of the extra rec letters. I've been encouraged to submit extra material by the admission office personnel, but I've also been told by an adcom member that at this point it'd doubtful that those letters will be looked at.
Also, I think, and I'm not certain about this one, that they keep a list of people who update their file and the committee looks at it. Has anybody else heard this? I know it's true for other schools (Northwestern), so I have a hunch they do it here at UCLA as well. I also wrote a letter to Dean Parker.

I am quite certain that more and more fellow SDNer's will be offered positions in the UCLA Class of 2008 as people reject the offers (I think somebody rejected UCLA while I was in the office signing all the enrollment papers). Good luck to all and feel free to PM me about specifics.

CONGRATULATIONS JimDiGriz! And thank you for the info! I was getting so down about my chances but thanks for giving out some more hope! I hope more of us will be able to join you in August! Here's some luck to everyone else still waiting! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Oh my gosh!! Lili Fobert JUST called me! I'm IN!!!!! I can't believe this!!! I am sooooo happy!!! Good luck to everyone else!! :luck: There's definitely still hope!! :love: :love:

shanddallar said:
Oh my gosh!! Lili Fobert JUST called me! I'm IN!!!!! I can't believe this!!! I am sooooo happy!!! Good luck to everyone else!! :luck: There's definitely still hope!! :love: :love:
congratulations!
now i just wish i can get a call too haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, waitlist movement! Congrats shanddallar! Now go party like a rock star! :D

omg! 6:28pm east coast time....director of admissions called me and accepted me! i'm going back to LA!! Wow....so many of us got in this week! I really hope that everyone else reading this forum will join us! congrats shanddallar and JimDiGriz. i'll see you at UCLA!

more luck for you all ... :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

take care and best wishes!

Congrats, that is great news. Hopefully there will be even more waitlist movement. :)

I sincerely congratulate everyone who got accepted from the waitlist. I know you all have worked really hard and deserve it 100%. Whether or not I get to see you guys in August, I wish you all good luck at UCLA. :)

Congrats to those of you who got the call on Friday. :thumbup: I wish you guys the best at UCLA. :)

Just a quick question though, did your status page change on Friday, or is it not showing the change yet.

Well for me, my status page didn't change until about an hour after i got the call. I guess they are just calling people first to see if they are still interested before they send out a packet. Good luck everyone!

congrats everyone! this is amazing news. you guys must be psyched.

Ok, here's something that concerns me... if they're doing phone calls now, does that mean that if they can't get a hold of you by phone, they just... skip over you?

I ask because my home phone (which is what I put on my application) frequently rings busy because someone is on the internet. For example, anyone calling my house from about 2 to 5 pm on Friday afternoon would've just gotten a busy signal.

I really hope it's not a case of crossing you off their list and moving on to the next name if they can't reach you by phone. I've heard of schools that do that, but I hope UCLA isn't one of those.

I totally understand your concerns about missing the call. I worry about that too and hope that they would continue trying until they got a hold of you. :(

If you have a cell phone, give that number to the schools you're waitlisted at. Also, have your cell phone on 24/7 so you won't forget to turn it on.

Seems like there are lots of movement...I wish JLee good luck (and my other UCLA friends too)

To akalaka and shanddallar...did you guys both also interview in march and get put on the wiatlist on the 4/22 date? and did you guys also update ur files?

shanddallar said:

Kweenkong,

No, I interviewed in early December, was put on the waitlist mid Feb. Yes I did update my file a few times since I was put on the list. Most recently was last week I think. Hope that helped.

Shanddallar

Goodness gracious. I neglect to bump this thread for a few days and four SDNers get off the waitlist. Congrats everyone! I wonder if there will still be movement. Orientation is in three weeks. Good luck everyone!

kweenkong said:
To akalaka and shanddallar...did you guys both also interview in march and get put on the wiatlist on the 4/22 date? and did you guys also update ur files?

i interviewed in the end of January and got waitlisted two weeks after that. i updated on average once a month. i got my call a week after i had to personally talk to the director of admissions (this was sort of an emergency call which is how i was able to get in touch with her. the emergency was that another school was kind of asking me to bargain with them....that if i drop ucla, this other school might give me an acceptance. i had to immediately call UCLA after this to get a better understanding of this. waitlists truly are a game!). good luck kweenkong.

akalaka said:
the emergency was that another school was kind of asking me to bargain with them....that if i drop ucla, this other school might give me an acceptance. i had to immediately call UCLA after this to get a better understanding of this. waitlists truly are a game!). good luck kweenkong.

They wanted to bargain with you? I don't understand...they said "Withdraw from the UCLA waitlist and we might give you a spot?" How weird/wrong is that?

I'm in!!!! I can't believe there are still spots! I'm out of the country right now...and my sister gets a call...this is so neat! :D :D

Goodluck to those still waiting! It still isn't too late!

splat2000 said:
I'm in!!!! I can't believe there are still spots! I'm out of the country right now...and my sister gets a call...this is so neat! :D :D

Goodluck to those still waiting! It still isn't too late!

Congrats man. I hope my sister also gets a call like that soon . I'm out of the country too. ;)

This is my first time posting. I just want congratulate those who got in off the waitlists. :thumbup: :)

I know it is difficult not knowing;I am still waiting.
Good luck to all of us still waiting. :luck: :luck: :luck:

On my status page, I see 2 lines (1 additional row) labeled "final decision letter sent". The first one has the old date in which I was put on the waitlist, the 2nd row is empty. I'm guessing that UCLA is starting to send out rejection letters to people on the waitlist. Has this happened to anyone else??

It's gone now. Weird! The phrase "Final Decision Letter Sent" in the 2nd row disappeared, but the additional row remained. Obviously someone is working on my status page. I'll take that as a good news.

I checked my status page too and I see the additional blank row you're talking about. But maybe they're making some changes to the system which is changing the look of everyone's status page... At this point I have like zero hope, ok make that less than zero, of ever getting off this waitlist. :(

Congratulations Splat!! haha just make sure you get back to the country in time for classes!

Dabenxiong and Twizzlers, maybe you guys can call the admissions office and ask about the status page. it must be frustrating to sit there and guess...

Um...I hate to break it to you guys, but I just called UCLA and the lady told me that there are still >100 people on the unranked waitlist. I was expecting ~50, counting all the people who have been accepted and declined the offer. I guess I was wrong. And they're currently updating the data base for the 2005 application cycle, so what I saw early was probably just some mistake that happened during the maintenance. :(

dabenxiong said:
Um...I hate to break it to you guys, but I just called UCLA and the lady told me that there are still >100 people on the unranked waitlist. I was expecting ~50, counting all the people who have been accepted and declined the offer. I guess I was wrong. And they're currently updating the data base for the 2005 application cycle, so what I saw early was probably just some mistake that happened during the maintenance. :(

I called the admissions office yesterday, and the lady told me that the wiatlist originially started with roughly 200 people, and now there are 100 left, with another 100 left on the HOLD list. They also said that they will continue calling people if spots arise up until August 4th, with school starting Aug 2nd.

So if it took them 2 months to go through a 100 people... how many more can they possibly go through in the next two weeks? I actually feel the worst for those with no acceptances and whose only waitlist is UCLA. You have to be pretty lucky to be one of the 100 chosen in the next two weeks.

Don't worry about me, I'm returning back on July 29th, which leaves me 3 days to move down to LA from SF!

I'm gonna be tired and have jetlag for awhile, but at least I can get up early for class!

CalBeE said:
If you have a cell phone, give that number to the schools you're waitlisted at. Also, have your cell phone on 24/7 so you won't forget to turn it on.

Seems like there are lots of movement...I wish JLee good luck (and my other UCLA friends too)
thanks calbee. im actually doubting my chances now since i didnt realize they started so early.

oh well. it would have been a little nice since i havent been feeling too good due to other personal matters...

time to look for davis housing.

Hello all:

I have been following this post for a while (but never actually posted any messages in it), but now would be a good time. Like many of you, I had been on the waitlist for a while -- I eventually got pulled off of it, and I have a feeling that following the advice of my friends on adcoms -- being very persistent (several letters of intent) and keeping in constant touch with the school and the admissions office -- helped me out. Write letters to Dr. Parker and continually update your file showing the committee your unwavering interest. Be really bold in your letters about why you think UCLA is your number 1 choice. I was told a while back (from a reliable source) that this year more people are withdrawing from the waitlist than in the previous years, which is obviously a good sign. There's still time left -- enough for many more to be pulled off the waitlist -- so don't lose hope. I hope to see many of you in class in Fall :) !! GOOD LUCK TO ALL. :thumbup:

desimunda, congrats!

i was just wondering... you said you "continually" updated your file... did each update letter contain new information? or did you basically just reemphasize your strong interest in the school?

cuz, i'm out of ideas to update them with anything at this point. i'll appreciate any sort of response on this one. = )

jlee9531 said:
thanks calbee. im actually doubting my chances now since i didnt realize they started so early.

oh well. it would have been a little nice since i havent been feeling too good due to other personal matters...

time to look for davis housing.
There are 2 more weeks of chances people!!! Call them/Send letters like crazy!!!! :D

Bad news.

I called them today, and I was told that the class is now full, and there hasn't been any movement in the waitlist for the past two weeks.

bleh...

kwanny said:
Bad news.

I called them today, and I was told that the class is now full, and there hasn't been any movement in the waitlist for the past two weeks.

bleh...

I just withdrew yesterday (after moving to LA, signing a lease and everything!). So there is another spot out there. The lady in the admissions office said there was still movement. Good luck.

cool. thanks for letting us know.

where u headed now, up north CA? ucsf?

Ok, my "final decision letter sent" date has changed to 7/23. Is UCLA sending out rejection letters yet to the waitlisters, cause I don't want to get excited and assume this is an acceptance just yet. It's unfortunately too late to call the admissions office, and since I'm currently out of town, I don't know if anyone has called my house either. I really hope it's an acceptance, but I guess I won't know for sure until Monday. :scared:

twizzlers said:
Ok, my "final decision letter sent" date has changed to 7/23. Is UCLA sending out rejection letters yet to the waitlisters, cause I don't want to get excited and assume this is an acceptance just yet. It's unfortunately too late to call the admissions office, and since I'm currently out of town, I don't know if anyone has called my house either. I really hope it's an acceptance, but I guess I won't know for sure until Monday. :scared:

Wow i think this could be good news! You should check your mailbox on saturday cus there may be an acceptance letter coming your way. (i'm not sure if they need to hear from you that you accept first before sending you the acceptance letter though). But i really doubt they are sending rejection letters right now. I'll cross my fingers for you!!

twizzlers said:
Stay confident. It'll be very unusual for them to send out rejections to waitlistees at this moment. Normally they will wait until at least after the first day of orientation to do that (August 2)