****The Official UNC Class of 2018 Thread****

Did you guys see this? He is saying 2/3 we will find out.

Hmm... that's odd that UNC would have "late January" on their admissions timeline, though. They usually stick to that pretty well. Oh well--it's only the difference of a few days! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Gotcha! Didn't know about this admissions timeline
Hmm... that's odd that UNC would have "late January" on their admissions timeline, though. They usually stick to that pretty well. Oh well--it's only the difference of a few days! :)

Found out something interesting... According to previous years they send out invites on the third Wednesday after the last interview date... This year it will be the 29th... It falls right on their timeline given also.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Found out something interesting... According to previous years they send out invites on the third Wednesday after the last interview date... This year it will be the 29th... It falls right on their timeline given also.
sweet! Thanks for this! Two questions: 1) Do they call or send emails? 2) I believe someone earlier in the thread said that they called for the first round of acceptances, but not all on the exact same day. For example, if that were also the case this week, then some of us that will be accepted will get called on Wednesday, some on Thursday, some Friday. So do you guys like everyone accepted this round will all be called this Wednesday? Or not necessarily on the same exact day?

Good luck all!

Hmmm I am sure they will be calling people for invites. I am not sure if they will send out all of the invites on Wednesday or not. I would assume some will be accepted on Thursday but really don't think they will be sending invites on Friday. Hope this helps :)

Apparently you can go to the UNC school website and check and see if you have a pin number with the system. You have to put in your last name, SSN, and date of birth. If you have a pin number with the school its a good chance you've been accepted. If you went there for undergrad you already have one so it won't help you. So I don't know what it means...take it as what you want. I didn't have one, but I know someone who did who interviewed in Jan. So they may have already made their decisions...maybe not...who knows.

Hey, guys. I think that on December 2nd, almost every single person got their call on that day. Maybe a few people got calls the next day, but I think those were flukes that probably weren't supposed to happen. Since they won't have as many calls to make after January acceptances, I really hope you will all get them on the same day and that none of you will be kept waiting!

That's a cool theory about the UNC "pin" number. Are you talking about the PID? :) Here's the lookup link if anyone is curious: https://itsapps.unc.edu/PIDCreate/jsp/wmp.jsp

No idea if the theory actually pans out, though.

Last edited:
Hey, guys. I think that on December 2nd, almost every single person got their call on that day. Maybe a few people got calls the next day, but I think those were flukes that probably weren't supposed to happen. Since they won't have as many calls to make after January acceptances, I really hope you will all get them on the same day and that none of you will be kept waiting!

That's an interesting theory about the UNC "pin" number. Do you mean PID? I'm sure you're going to have a few people scrambling to the site, so it'd be nice to know exactly what you're talking about. :) If it is the PID you're talking about, here's the lookup link if anyone is curious: https://itsapps.unc.edu/PIDCreate/jsp/wmp.jsp

No idea if that theory actually pans out, though.

yes glimmer..that's what I meant.

Reactions: 1 user
yes glimmer..that's what I meant.

Toothfairy, I just read what I wrote and hope it didn't come across as snarky. LOL! I didn't mean for it to! UNC just has all kinds of "identifiers," so I wasn't sure which one it was... onyens and PIDs and e-mails and passwords, oh my!

I'd love to know if anyone has a PID already made. :D

Just checked and I don't have a PID :(. Clearly I'm hoping that theory is invalid . Who else has one?

http://www.pid.unc.edu/Students

"Note: The issuance of a PID does not indicate that you have or will be admitted to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Admissions decisions are communicated only in writing and only by the respective admissions office."

Reactions: 3 users
Hmm I didn't have one either... I really don't believe this theory is valid. There might have been another reason why your friend had a PID. Plus wouldn't you make the PID after the student "accepts" their offer. Idk just my two cents, take it for what it is lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I didn't have one either... I really don't believe this theory is valid. There might have been another reason why your friend had a PID. Plus wouldn't you make the PID after the student "accepts" their offer. Idk just my two cents, take it for what it is lol.

If you don't have a PID, I wouldn't read much into it. It was a cool theory, though!

However, I know for a fact that they mail you a PID with your acceptance packet. So, yeah, you get one--even if you don't accept. I suppose it just sort of "dies" in the system if you end up going elsewhere for DS.

If you don't have a PID, I wouldn't read much into it. It was a cool theory, though!

However, I know for a fact that they mail you a PID with your acceptance packet. So, yeah, you get one--even if you don't accept. I suppose it just sort of "dies" in the system if you end up going elsewhere for DS.[/quo

I interviewed in January and I DO have a pin when log into it. I am not jumping for joy to say the least. This probably means nothing at all. I would read into it. Good luck everyone.

I interviewed in January and I DO have a pin when log into it. I am not jumping for joy to say the least. This probably means nothing at all. I would nt read into it. Good luck everyone.

I just checked and I have a PID number; however, there's no need to get my hopes up yet. I was sent a continuing review email in December and was told that I would find out at the end of January like everyone else. Good luck everyone! :nailbiting:

So I checked 2 or 3 times about an hour ago, and I did NOT have a PID.... But I just checked and now i DO have a PID. Not sure what this means, if it means anything, but guess we'll all find out in the next few days to come!

if I had to guess I really think that's a good sign.... I mean they are literally entering people in the system as we speak. Why would they enter you if they weren't accepting you? Only those that get accepted get a PID it seems

mine shows a PID, but then again I did some research stuff at UNC a few years ago (like 6), so it could be from that. who knows

Not to spoil everyone's fun, but my guess is the school PROBABLY has to track applicants from year to year whether you got in or not, and they probably do that with a PID. It's strange to me that they would start creating PIDs now, as someone indicated above, but that's my pessimist's guess.

That said, I filled out that form above, and it gave me back my PID from a long time ago when I actually attended UNC, which was fun to see. I'll have the lowest PID here most likely. =)

Yeah... like others have said, if you have had any sort of dealings with UNC in the past, you'll already have a PID. :)

Officially rejected today. OOS and no interview.

Officially rejected today. OOS and no interview.

Sorry to hear that! I know the feeling, this is my 5th yr applying.

This weather may have those of us who are still waiting for a decision waiting even longer...good luck folks! Any day now!!

I just checked and I have a PID number; however, there's no need to get my hopes up yet. I was sent a continuing review email in December and was told that I would find out at the end of January like everyone else. Good luck everyone! :nailbiting:

I didn't get a continuing review email in December.

Regarding the weather, UNC's front page says that classes are canceled, but offices are still open. My guess is that means their admissions selection committee meeting from that PDF is still going on....right now. I hope they're saying good things about me. =)

Also, I interviewed in October, and did not get a continued interest email in December, as someone mentioned above.

Last edited:
I didn't either I was thinking about another school. I'm sorry. I did however contact them and they told me my application it was still active and that I would hear back at the end of January

["techyguy, post: 14844094, member: 522289"]Regarding the weather, UNC's front page says that classes are canceled, but offices are still open. My guess is that means their admissions selection committee meeting from that PDF is still going on....right now. I hope they're saying good things about me. =)

Also, I interviewed in October, and did not get a continued interest email in December, as someone mentioned above.[/quote]
I didnt

Hey Everyone,

I emailed Carolyn Oakes at the school to check and see if the Admissions Committee met today or if it was canceled. She stated the meeting was canceled for today and has yet to be rescheduled. She stated it will most likely be rescheduled for next week. Just FYI. More waiting but I guess we all are used to it by now. Good luck everyone and God Bless!

Reactions: 3 users
Good job! I didn't want to bother, since I already emailed her Monday asking if admissions were finished. She actually didn't respond to me, but luckily I found this thread. The wait is excruciating, and kills the ol' sleep and eat drives when I think the phone is going to ring the next morning.

Last edited:
Did you guys see this? He is saying 2/3 we will find out.
info from adcom members, but with the weather and such this may be tentative. They have said multiple times, first week in February. Why has someone heard some news already? I was told between 2/3 and 2/7 I would have an answer.

info from adcom members, but with the weather and such this may be tentative. They have said multiple times, first week in February. Why has someone heard some news already? I was told between 2/3 and 2/7 I would have an answer.

I don't think anyone has heard anything this go around

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I checked for a PID and I had one, but I was also an undergrad there for a year in 2006. So it might still be in the system. Interviewed in January.

I checked for a PID and I had one, but I was also an undergrad there for a year in 2006. So it might still be in the system. Interviewed in January.

They keep your PID in their system if you have taken classes there

Does anyone else still not have a PID made that interviewed? I interviewed 1/11

I wouldn't worry too much about the PID too much right now.... Let's just wait and see what happens :). Btw any updates?

Does anyone else still not have a PID made that interviewed? I interviewed 1/11

I wouldn't worry, they were supposed to have an admissions selection meeting 1/29 and it was cancelled due to weather, probably scheduled for next week

Nothing to report from me. Anyone else? ;)

Nothing here. I'm reading through the 2017 thread, and apparently people were called on the last Wednesday of the month (Jan. 30th, 2013), and received calls as late as 9pm. Apparently an adcom meeting took place that Wednesday from 10am to 2pm, then they started calling. I could read more, but I'm supposed to be doing homework right now.

We know the adcom meeting this past Wednesday was canceled, so who knows when it will actually take place. My guess is everybody will get another weekend to cognitively thrash between daydreams of acceptance and contemplation of plan B, then we'll hear back early next week. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
I have my fingers crossed that you will all hear back early next week! It would be killing me if I had to wait longer than expected. Regardless of what happens, though, all I know is that UNC had some awesome applicants this year... I can tell from this thread! :)

Also, if you guys need any help with stuff in Chapel Hill like apartment searches or anything, feel free to ask! I'm pretty familiar with the area, and I've already been searching around. A lot of places are already filling up their wait lists for rooms in the fall, so it's better to act sooner than later. (Seriously, I was floored at the number of people on some of the wait lists. I thought I was being really proactive! Ah!)

I'm going to be moving to Chapel Hill in a couple weeks for a job no matter what. I had hoped to hear back, so I can better gauge whether I need to go ahead and use Craigslist or not for a room. It remains to be seen whether I end up paying for a one-bedroom somewhere, possibly for up to a year.

I'm going to be moving to Chapel Hill in a couple weeks for a job no matter what. I had hoped to hear back, so I can better gauge whether I need to go ahead and use Craigslist or not for a room. It remains to be seen whether I end up paying for a one-bedroom somewhere, possibly for up to a year.

I've decided on a one bedroom for at least my first year. Once I make some good friends, though, I'd be more than happy to have roommates! I just know that D1 will be stressful enough as is, and having random roommates can be a bit of a gamble. I know of some horror stories, so I'm trying to avoid that. :)

Decent 1BR apartments in Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Durham are going to run you about 850-1400 (yikes!) a month, including utilities. It's like a mortgage payment!! Ah! Oh well. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :) I'd check the listings on heelshousing and also the roommate board, if you're interested: http://heelshousing.com/

Has anyone called to actually see when they rescheduled the meeting?
LOL, I'm just excited for you guys! :)

I sent Ms. Oakes an email at about 11:45, but she hasn't responded yet. It might be a bit much to send that information out in email, though.

I emailed Mrs Oakes at 8am this morning before work and still have yet to receive an email back. Trying to
Be patient. :)

I was able to get a hold of Mrs Oakes. She said that those who get accepted will be called by Wednesday :)

Well I hope I get a phone call, but I will not be waiting by the phone as I did last year. It is just too heartbreaking!

I was able to get a hold of Mrs Oakes. She said that those who get accepted will be called by Wednesday :)
So you called? I'm guessing that's the only way she can really respond, otherwise she'd just be like a parrot to us emailers. I had already emailed, so I didn't want to call, too.

I'm already taking notes on how to get this information next year. *sigh*

Why? You don't think you have a good chance of getting in?

Ya I called
So you called? I'm guessing that's the only way she can really respond, otherwise she'd just be like a parrot to us emailers. I had already emailed, so I didn't want to call, too.

I'm already taking notes on how to get this information next year. *sigh*