***The Official Univ, of Maryland Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Me. I'm a fairly average applicant, submitted 8/1. I have 3 interviews, but not a peep from UMD. I anxiously await.

I don't know what is wrong with my app.
I am not hearing from 17 schools after I got 2 interviews.
I am starting to wonder if there's a serious flaw in my application that the two schools that offered me interviews overlooked and other 17 schools didn't.
LOL. boy am I becoming a paranoid.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone interviewing tomorrow want to split a cab fee back to the airport after the interview? :)
I'm staying with my cousin until Wednesday , so I won't head to the airport till then. Sorry. ;)

However I know you can take the light rail or something like that. Like a metro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Maryland interview was amazing. I loved the school, and Baltimore is great. My interviewers were great as well. When I got here , there was a lot of people in the interview , so I felt weird, but then people kind of chilled. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After over 3 months of silence, I get the ultimate Halloween treat!

School: University of Maryland
Notification date:10/31
Method of notification: Phone
Residency: MD
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/11
Application complete date: Late July
GPA (science, overall) : 3.8, 3.8
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/20/24/no

Reactions: 1 users
After over 3 months of silence, I get the ultimate Halloween treat!

School: University of Maryland
Notification date:10/31
Method of notification: Phone
Residency: MD
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/11
Application complete date: Late July
GPA (science, overall) : 3.8, 3.8
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/20/24/no

When is the interview date? (If you don't mind sharing)

When is the interview date? (If you don't mind sharing)
I don't feel comfortable giving my exact date, but I will tell you that I was notified on Halloween for a pre December interview.

An instate guy was finally shown some love from their dream school!

I don't feel comfortable giving my exact date, but I will tell you that I was notified on Halloween for a pre December interview.

An instate guy was finally shown some love from their dream school!
Hey I'm just curious. Why don't people share their interview date ? I always see people sharing those , and I do it myself , and I've never had a problem with it. Again, I'm just curious on your reasoning behind not wanting to share that

Hey I'm just curious. Why don't people share their interview date ? I always see people sharing those , and I do it myself , and I've never had a problem with it. Again, I'm just curious on your reasoning behind not wanting to share that

Just a personal thing. Some people don't feel comfortable handing out their social security number. I just don't feel comfortable telling everyone my interview date. :p

Here's my update input from my interview last week:
I spoke with Dr. Porter, she says they try to admit 50-50 of IS vs OOS of the 130 admitted. Of the 20 interviewed last week, there was about 5 MD residents that I knew of. Relaxed interview with faculty (I got Dr. Porter, super nice) and one D3 student (super chill). All the D3 during the interview process were super chill, they're there to help not hurt.

Is anyone interviewing on the 11th? just made a reservation to a hotel near UMD. taking greyhound all the way to maryland. It is going to be fun!!!!

I heard one of the interviewers asks weird questions, I hope I don't get that interviewer!
See you there on 11th!
I remember I got some of those "off the paper" q's too (I'm D1). Just be friendly and conversational. Thats all anyone wants to see (this is true at other schools too)... Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember I got some of those "off the paper" q's too (I'm D1). Just be friendly and conversational. Thats all anyone wants to see (this is true at other schools too)... Good luck!
"Off the paper" q's like, "if you had to describe yourself as a piece of furniture, what would you be and why? Everyone loves those!

Hey guys this school is pretty awesome. Good luck on interviews! I have already seen some interviewees recently walking outside our labs and looking in. Reminded me of myself last year lol.

so are oos out of luck now?

so are oos out of luck now?
pre dec definitely but I would think we all still have a chance for post dec.
I never got a supp and I'm oos.. maybe they'll send out another round in dec or january??

What was the interview style for most of you? 1 on 1 or 2 on 1? I'm getting mixed feedback.

What was the interview style for most of you? 1 on 1 or 2 on 1? I'm getting mixed feedback.
Mine was 2 on 1 and by far my worse interview out of the 7 i have down. I hated the interview format cause it looked like a job interview and they wrote down every single word I said. I was impressed by the program and the technology but my interviewers and the students were not the cherry on top. I which they would've been a little more friendly and welcoming. Maybe it's a Maryland thing (strategy) who knows, but i was def waiting to feel more welcomed.

Last edited:
Mine was 2 on 1 and by far my worse interview out of the 7 i have down. I found the students ( which are in the adcom btw) a little bit over the top and interrogating us in each of the tables while waiting for the interview. I hated the interview format cause it looked like a job interview and they wrote down every single word I said. I was impressed by the program and the technology but my interviewers and the students were not the cherry on top. I which they would've been a little more friendly and welcoming. Maybe it's a Maryland thing (strategy) who knows, but i was def waiting to feel more welcomed.
Yikes, that makes me really nervous. Why were they asking you questions and stuff before the interview itself? That makes no sense. How long was your interview? Were your interview questions the standards? Any that stood out to you?

Yikes, that makes me really nervous. Why were they asking you questions and stuff before the interview itself? That makes no sense. How long was your interview? Were your interview questions the standards? Any that stood out to you?
I have to say that everything in life can be sensed differently by 2 ppl...and I'm comparing my experience with my other interviews which were more "relaxed." Typical job interview & ethical questions but my interviewer kept asking me "why" to every answer i gave. The students are not there to be your "friend" they have to report everything u say so be careful. I would still attend this school though, they have an amazing program!

Last edited:
The interview was 2 on 1, 1 student and 1 faculty. I'm not entirely sure what the previous poster had for an experience but I personally didn't feel that there was any interrogating by the student hosts beforehand. The hosts were nice and helpful answering questions. The student who interviewed you was different and mostly just read off standard questions. The interview was pretty laid back and there weren't really any curveball questions. It was open file but there were still some standardized questions and they took a lot of notes. Everybody was really friendly and the school was really nice. Honestly don't be nervous it's not an intensee interview at all!

The interview was 2 on 1, 1 student and 1 faculty. I'm not entirely sure what the previous poster had for an experience but I personally didn't feel that there was any interrogating by the student hosts beforehand. The hosts were nice and helpful answering questions. The student who interviewed you was different and mostly just read off standard questions. The interview was pretty laid back and there weren't really any curveball questions. It was open file but there were still some standardized questions and they took a lot of notes. Everybody was really friendly and the school was really nice. Honestly don't be nervous it's not an intensee interview at all!
I'm glad you had a nice experience.

Last edited:
I will be heading to maryland tomorrow, I hope interview is laid back as some ppl in the previous thread said....

Did the students "hosts" tell u they were part of the admission committee?
Nope, I mean they may participate on other interview days or some thing but they didn't feel like they were reporting back at. They mostly wanted to know if we had any questions.

I feel like everyone's experience is different. The students having lunch with us in the waiting area didn't really interrogate us, they were just participating in the normal conversation and chimed in to answer questions. They were pretty nice. My interviewers were nice too (2 on 1. One was a student). They reminded me throughout that they were listening despite them awkwardly having to write my responses down as I spoke. It just seemed like basic protocol to me. I understand it feeling like a job interview but it honestly wasn't bad at all. Nothing out of the ordinary. I think it was the interview that went the best for me. Probably because it was the the most recent one, and I had gotten over the fumbles in the first few lol.

Is there anything that is unique to Maryland's curriculum that other schools do not have or what exactly about their technology makes them amazing? I'm having a hard time finding this information on google as my interview approaches to answer the 'why maryland' question.

Anyone know how letters of recommendation affect timing of getting an interview after submitting your secondary? My LOR are being mailed tomorrow and I submitted my secondary Monday.

Anyone know how letters of recommendation affect timing of getting an interview after submitting your secondary? My LOR are being mailed tomorrow and I submitted my secondary Monday.
I was told by admissions that the LORs do not delay the application process on their side. All of my LORs were not sent out yet when I received my interview invite, so I think you should be okay with the slight delay. Hope this helps.

For anyone who received a secondary since September 1st and then received an interview request, how long did it take after submitting your secondary to get the interview? Just getting paranoid :/

For anyone who received a secondary since September 1st and then received an interview request, how long did it take after submitting your secondary to get the interview? Just getting paranoid :/

I submitted my supplemental app on Oct 6, and received the interview invite on Oct 13.
I'm an oos applicant.

Just like the other people said: The interview was 2 on 1, 1 fourth year student and 1 faculty. The faculty and the student were both great. The two student hosts were very nice and helpful. Questions such as "why Maryland?" would be answered during the presentation by the dean of admission. All the rest of the presentations were really great, helpful, and chilling. They asked standard questions. The interview was pretty laid back. It was open file and they took a lot of notes. Everybody was really friendly and the school was really nice.

Any other in state that have received the supplemental, still waiting for an interview invite, like me?

Any other in state that have received the supplemental, still waiting for an interview invite, like me?

Yep. Submitted way back in July, haven't heard a thing since.

Yes, two of my friends haven't received an invite yet. I know it's a torture to be waiting... Good luck!

Just got an interview invite today! Keep the faith! :)

Any status updates? From last year's thread, it seems like Maryland remains "Invited for Interview."
Yea same here, still says "invited for interview." Had the interview couple weeks ago.

Has anyones status changed from invited for interview?

Would anyone who already had an interview be willing to PM me and give me literally any and all insight, specific or general on the interview? This is my actual dream school, so it would be SUPER appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Would anyone who already had an interview be willing to PM me and give me literally any and all insight, specific or general on the interview? This is my actual dream school, so it would be SUPER appreciated. Thanks in advance!
PMd!

Such an amazing school, but the tour guides told me on interview day that maryland isn't exactly speedy when it comes to handing out acceptances. Not everyone who interviewed prior to December 1 will get a response like some other schools.

Such an amazing school, but the tour guides told me on interview day that maryland isn't exactly speedy when it comes to handing out acceptances. Not everyone who interviewed prior to December 1 will get a response like some other schools.
Does it mean that people can still hope to get in even if they do not hear back tomorrow?!

Does it mean that people can still hope to get in even if they do not hear back tomorrow?!
Absolutely! Both of my tour guides interviewed pre-December and both got an acceptance in mid January. They were oos.