***The Official University of Utah class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I'll echo ptiskyq- they were very conversational and casual and as close to fun as an interview can get. It was three thirty minute one on one interviews but the time went quick, for the most part. You arrive with a group of 3 and cycle through interviewers together and then the next group shows up and does the same. The tour is a great way to see the amazing facility, and the lunch with the students is a good chance to learn more about their side of things. The financial aide presentation was pretty standard, nothing surprising in there. Overall it was a great day. It'll be easy to be yourself and let them get to know your personality. 2/3 of the interviewers had my file in front of them, and referenced it casually. My questions were almost all about me and what I like rather than my achievements, just ended up that way. They do have a list of questions they can ask if they need to rely on it. It's super low stress!
Thanks man!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any idea what was up with that fin-aid presentation? The tuition they showed us was 20k+ more expensive than what their website says.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'll be going to the Monday Oct 24th interview from 11 - 3 (including the tour and all that jazz), but i'll be coming in on Sunday if anyone else wants to chill! I got a few recommendations (Thanks Travis Toth!) from another pre-dent from the UDM interview a couple days ago:) Definitely plan on hiking up Ensign Peak which will have an awesome view of the city and maybe other stuff too if there's time haha. Would definitely be more fun in a group so hmu if you would wanna join!

Best,
Phu

Hey!

I'll be going to the Monday Oct 24th interview from 11 - 3 (including the tour and all that jazz), but i'll be coming in on Sunday if anyone else wants to chill! I got a few recommendations (Thanks Travis Toth!) from another pre-dent from the UDM interview a couple days ago:) Definitely plan on hiking up Ensign Peak which will have an awesome view of the city and maybe other stuff too if there's time haha. Would definitely be more fun in a group so hmu if you would wanna join!

Best,
Phu

You are welcome! You are going to love your trip. I love living here and the city is beautiful. It is the cleanest city you will ever see. Also, I have visited this school before and it is gorgeous and the faculty are very welcoming and enthusiastic. Dr. Lowder is extremely friendly. I may be down to join the hike as it has been a while since I've hiked up there, but I do start school again on Monday and I want to make sure I'm on top of everything. Sunday is a big homework day for me.

You are welcome! You are going to love your trip. I love living here and the city is beautiful. It is the cleanest city you will ever see. Also, I have visited this school before and it is gorgeous and the faculty are very welcoming and enthusiastic. Dr. Lowder is extremely friendly. I may be down to join the hike as it has been a while since I've hiked up there, but I do start school again on Monday and I want to make sure I'm on top of everything. Sunday is a big homework day for me.

Nice to catch ya on here! I totally meant to see if you wanted to exchange contact info in case we happened to snag another interview or anything together down the road, and it is always nice to have buds going through the cycle with hehe. I'll PM you my number and you can text me whenever if you think your Sunday will be free enough to make it out! But definitely understand if you need to homework/study grind that day, that's typically how my Sunday nights went for a whileXD

And I am really excited to explore Salt Lake City! Seems like it'll be a blast!

Anyone have any idea what was up with that fin-aid presentation? The tuition they showed us was 20k+ more expensive than what their website says.
The numbers seem to add up to me. I didn't get a copy of the (confusing) chart that was shown, but the tuition was ~$14K (res) and ~$25K (non-res) per semester, with a reduced tuition for the shorter summer term. That is pretty close to the ~$36K (res) and ~$69K (non-res) on the website. If you were looking at the $72K/$104K figures that is the total annual COA. I think you are safe to go off the numbers on the website, factoring in a potential 5% increase for next year. I hope you get in. The facility and faculty were truly impressive, and the students seemed friendly and genuinely glad to be there.

Reactions: 1 user
the chart said
books/supplies - 6,661
loan fees - 312
misc - 2147
Room/Board- 4869
Travel - 630
Tuition/Fees - 13,501
1 semester - 28,449
2 semester 56,989
3 semester - 72168

Online it says 45,786 due total for 2016-2017

So like, here's where I'm confused. Online it says the entire year costs 45k. Okay, great. The stuff listed above adds up to 72,168. That would mean there are 27k worth of stuff not included in the online cost. Okay, that's a bit much. Even if you include the 5k room and board (which is really low), the 6k books and supplies, the loan fees, the misc, and the travel you're only looking at 13k ish. Where's the extra 14k coming from! Ahh I emailed Julie but she never responded. I'll probably call next week.

and I hope you get in too! It was super fun. Love the building, staff, etc.

the chart said
books/supplies - 6,661
loan fees - 312
misc - 2147
Room/Board- 4869
Travel - 630
Tuition/Fees - 13,501
1 semester - 28,449
2 semester 56,989
3 semester - 72168

Online it says 45,786 due total for 2016-2017

So like, here's where I'm confused. Online it says the entire year costs 45k. Okay, great. The stuff listed above adds up to 72,168. That would mean there are 27k worth of stuff not included in the online cost. Okay, that's a bit much. Even if you include the 5k room and board (which is really low), the 6k books and supplies, the loan fees, the misc, and the travel you're only looking at 13k ish. Where's the extra 14k coming from! Ahh I emailed Julie but she never responded. I'll probably call next week.

and I hope you get in too! It was super fun. Love the building, staff, etc.

When we went through this we were told that all of the line items add up to generate the tuition of the first semester and then that x2 gives the cost of the 2nd semester. There is additional COL and summer tuition factored into the third semester. I believe that the online number does not incorporate any cost of living or traval/misc costs. So JUST tuition and fees is $45,786. That's the amount due to the university. The additional cost comes from housing, food, etc. I know you get that, just wanted to clarify :)

The difference between the tuition/fees and the total cost is, as you pointed out, 27k. That's about the cost of living for 1 year in Salt Lake PLUS books/supplies. The ADEA estimates a 22k cost of living, some random website I used estimated 13k, and I've been doing some legwork to figure out my loans and my numbers suggest about a 16k cost of living for an "I'm a student but I don't want to live like I'm homeless" lifestyle. I had forgot about books/supplies (I thought that would be included in fees) so just tack on 6k.

I believe they have either miscalculated or misrepresented their totals since there is that 14k that is unaccounted for- likely they didn't list everything out. Their room and board is way low, even for the cheapest university housing options. I can only assume the rest of the money is going towards things like groceries, personal expenses, medical expenses, etc. I would email the financial aide office and the dental school representative, she can probably give you more information too.

When we went through this we were told that all of the line items add up to generate the tuition of the first semester and then that x2 gives the cost of the 2nd semester. There is additional COL and summer tuition factored into the third semester. I believe that the online number does not incorporate any cost of living or traval/misc costs. So JUST tuition and fees is $45,786. That's the amount due to the university. The additional cost comes from housing, food, etc. I know you get that, just wanted to clarify :)

The difference between the tuition/fees and the total cost is, as you pointed out, 27k. That's about the cost of living for 1 year in Salt Lake PLUS books/supplies. The ADEA estimates a 22k cost of living, some random website I used estimated 13k, and I've been doing some legwork to figure out my loans and my numbers suggest about a 16k cost of living for an "I'm a student but I don't want to live like I'm homeless" lifestyle. I had forgot about books/supplies (I thought that would be included in fees) so just tack on 6k.

I believe they have either miscalculated or misrepresented their totals since there is that 14k that is unaccounted for- likely they didn't list everything out. Their room and board is way low, even for the cheapest university housing options. I can only assume the rest of the money is going towards things like groceries, personal expenses, medical expenses, etc. I would email the financial aide office and the dental school representative, she can probably give you more information too.
=D. Thanks for helping me out. I'm good with everything as long as the total cost owed to the school is the 45k (+5% every year). Because that's still way less than most other schools, and obviously you have to live at other schools too so the extra numbers would likely be pretty similar.

=D. Thanks for helping me out. I'm good with everything as long as the total cost owed to the school is the 45k (+5% every year). Because that's still way less than most other schools, and obviously you have to live at other schools too so the extra numbers would likely be pretty similar.

You're welcome! Its still way cheaper than most of my other options, but dang its expensive haha. Salt Lake has a decently low cost of living for its size which is nice. Still, looking at all that money and calculating the loan repayment is tough to stomach.

Really great school! I absolutely loved the vibe I was getting off the students and faculty. Everyone was super friendly and it seemed to really have that family sort of vibe, I know you can probably say that about a lot of schools/places but I think it was above and beyond here. May have to do with the smaller class sizes but I think it is more of the culture they have built for themselves!

Interview wise, things were focused on finding out who I am as a person and what I liked to do. No toughie questions or getting grilled haha. Really glad I got the opportunity to interview with the U of U!

Reactions: 4 users
I had my interview today and I loved the school! The facilities were beautiful and they really emphasized the strong sense of community that the school has considering that there are only 50 seats each year. I also was impressed with the fact that students have lots of clinical experiences. You will have the opportunity to do implants during your fourth year and many students will have performed over 20 root canals before graduating.

The interview was really relaxed and I didn't get any tough questions except you may want to come prepared to explain why you would choose them over your state school if you are not in state. I was asked this multiple times by each interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I posted awhile ago letting you know I was available to answer any questions. Then I got a new phone and didn't have the SDN app until now. Sorry about the disconnect. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I'll make sure to answer this time! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I posted awhile ago letting you know I was available to answer any questions. Then I got a new phone and didn't have the SDN app until now. Sorry about the disconnect. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I'll make sure to answer this time! :)

Thanks for being willing to answer some questions. Does the school do any training on the CAD/CAM technologies? Have they discussed doing this in the future? If not, how do you plan to learn that system since it is so popular in dental practices today?

Thanks for being willing to answer some questions. Does the school do any training on the CAD/CAM technologies? Have they discussed doing this in the future? If not, how do you plan to learn that system since it is so popular in dental practices today?

The school as of now has minimal exposure to CAD/CAM technologies, however, there are plans for it in the future. Trends in dentistry currently show that patients want the same great quality work, but in less time. I personally have mixed feelings about CAD/CAM technology. I think that dentistry is heading more in this direction and , although it's nice from a patient's perspective, the quality of the technology doesn't yet match that of a good lab. It isn't too hard to learn the technology and I would rather learn it in a CE course in the future and focus my education here on learning sound clinical fundamentals, which Utah offers in abundance.

It's getting close to December 1st! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
It's getting close to December 1st! Good luck to everyone!

Blapo do you know when and how they do notifications? If I remember right the med school calls all of their accepted applicants, just curious if the dental school does the same.

Blapo do you know when and how they do notifications? If I remember right the med school calls all of their accepted applicants, just curious if the dental school does the same.

Everyone I have talked to just got notified via email.

As far as when, it depends on if you are waitlisted or not. If you are accepted, they would notify you on December 1st (mostly). If you are waitlisted, you will get an email within a week or two letting you know. I was 6th on the waitlist and I got my acceptance email during the first week of January. Hope that helps!

Also know that what I say may be different than what happens this year. ;)

Also know that what I say may be different than what happens this year. ;)

Hi Blapo,

Did the school utilize the "Check Back on Dec 1st" feature in previous years? and what were the outcomes of it...like if you get that status change is that an acceptance/rejection?

Thanks!

Hi Blapo,

Did the school utilize the "Check Back on Dec 1st" feature in previous years? and what were the outcomes of it...like if you get that status change is that an acceptance/rejection?

Thanks!

They didn't use it for me, but I called after I got the waitlist notification and they told me what number I was

They didn't use it for me, but I called after I got the waitlist notification and they told me what number I was

Any idea how many peeps made it off the wait list?

Not sure. At least 6... :p

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone's status change from Invited for Interview to Check back on Dec 1st?

Ahh what does it mean! Mine hasn't changed.

I don't think there's any need to panic just sit tight and hope for the best, we've done everything we possibly can! Good luck to you all tomorrow and hopefully we'll all be happy campers by this time tomorrow!

Mine has not changed either even after interviewing. I guess we will find out tomorrow whether "invited for interview" or "Check back on Dec 1st" is better!!

Last year BYU4you was the only one who mentioned a status change the day before. He got in right away. So, it looks like its good

Last year BYU4you was the only one who mentioned a status change the day before. He got in right away. So, it looks like its good
That's encouraging I suppose. Maybe they're just entering their acceptances this week and the system takes 24 hr+ to update? Only time will tell haha.

That's encouraging I suppose. Maybe they're just entering their acceptances this week and the system takes 24 hr+ to update? Only time will tell haha.
Have any idea when your switched?

Mine switched! I had my application in June 15th and interviewed October 4th. In-state resident.

Yeah I think you're right :(. It looks like the people whose status didn't change were added to the waitlist.

You "switchers" are worrying me... :/

Yeah so if you go back through the old threads every person who had their status change was offered an acceptance. However, that's a grand total of..3 people. So there's still hope for us non switchers I suppose

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah so if you go back through the old threads every person who had their status change was offered an acceptance. However, that's a grand total of..3 people. So there's still hope for us non switchers I suppose
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are not posting in the forums. The fact that there are only 2 pages on this thread says a lot. I wonder how many people the school interviewed?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are not posting in the forums. The fact that there are only 2 pages on this thread says a lot. I wonder how many people the school interviewed?

I don't know an exact number, but last year it was upwards of 120 interviews and we have 46 people in our D1 class. I honestly don't think there is a uniform system with AADSAS with this school. I am willing to bet that some of you whose status didn't "switch" will get an acceptance tomorrow. Either way, you guys are all awesome and will get into a school. Just relax and enjoy the day tomorrow. It really is an exciting time for you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
I got my acceptance at 6:16 AM this morning by email!!!! I'm so excited about it oh my gosh. I can't believe it.

Accepted!! And yes my status on AADSAS changed a couple days ago to check back on Dec. 1st.. Good luck to everyone else!

I called Julie (after I received an acceptance intended for somebody else) and she confirmed that if you did not receive an e-mail by now, you will be notified about being on the waitlist on Monday. Good luck to those of us on the waitlist and congrats to those accepted.