***The Official University of Utah class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I called Julie (after I received an acceptance intended for somebody else) and she confirmed that if you did not receive an e-mail by now, you will be notified about being on the waitlist on Monday. Good luck to those of us on the waitlist and congrats to those accepted.
There's two types of waitlist yeah? An alternate which is good and a wait list.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlist is NOT bad! And congrats to those of you who got your acceptance. UofU is an awesome program and it is heading in a great direction. I'm excited to see all of you next year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's two types of waitlist yeah? An alternate which is good and a wait list.
I am not sure, she didn't mention an alternate list. Maybe someone else can give some insight to that?

She did say that the waitlist is not ranked, and that they will make additional offers as they receive denials.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure, she didn't mention an alternate list. Maybe someone else can give some insight to that?

I've heard that too, but I'm not sure what that is. You can always ask Julie or Dr. Lowder about that.

Accepted!! OOS also

Good luck to everyone out there and congrats if you woke up to the acceptance email like I did!

Here is what I found out...For those of us that didn't receive an acceptance today, expect an email on Monday which will say if you are on the alternate list (GOOD) or the waitlist (BAD).

Reactions: 1 user
Here is what I found out...For those of us that didn't receive an acceptance today, expect an email on Monday which will say if you are on the alternate list (GOOD) or the waitlist (BAD).
Yep. Can confirm. If you don't get an email Monday then look elsewhere is essentially what I was told.

Yep. Can confirm. If you don't get an email Monday then look elsewhere is essentially what I was told.

Does this annoy anyone else that they don't send all updates out at the same time? We wait two months to not get anything, and are then told to wait even longer to find out to what degree we've been rejected. I don't understand it.

Does this annoy anyone else that they don't send all updates out at the same time? We wait two months to not get anything, and are then told to wait even longer to find out to what degree we've been rejected. I don't understand it.
Yeah it sucks...but hey at least you didn't get an email from them with the subject "Offer of Admission" only to find out you didn't actually get in. I literally was jumping up and down until I opened it and saw that it was addressed to someone else.

Yeah it sucks...but hey at least you didn't get an email from them with the subject "Offer of Admission" only to find out you didn't actually get in. I literally was jumping up and down until I opened it and saw that it was addressed to someone else.
Dang dude. THAT would suck.

Wow. Sorry about that! Maybe they will take that into consideration and just accept you too!

So no one has been told they are on the alternate/waiting list yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI I'm most likely declining my acceptance here so I'm sure there will definitely be spots that open up!

Anybody seen emails this morning about alternate/wait lists? I'm checking my email incessantly.

Anybody seen emails this morning about alternate/wait lists? I'm checking my email incessantly.
I've been doing the same thing haha but no I haven't seen anything yet this morning!

Just went into the unranked waiting list. Dang.

Just got the waitlist email at 10:51am.

"We have also notified those applicants that have been placed on our ranked Alternate List. Your application has been placed on our unranked Waitlist."

Looks like I'm accepting my out-of-state offer.

Good luck to all!

Just went into the unranked waiting list. Dang.
Same here. What's everyone's stats? I have a 3.9 GPA, 3.91 science with a 23 on the DAT. I'm a white, male applicant from BYU, so maybe that effects it. haha

Reactions: 1 users
3.8 overall
3.7 science
DAT: 22
White male @ BYU

Placed on unranked waiting list.

Same here. What's everyone's stats? I have a 3.9 GPA, 3.91 science with a 23 on the DAT. I'm a white, male applicant from BYU, so maybe that effects it. haha

3.95, 22 DAT, president pre-dental club, publication in organic research, etc.

OOS, non-LDS, 26y/o non-traditional applicant. Unranked waitlist.

Best of luck to those accepted and on the alternate list - I am jealous, a top notch school for sure!t

Last edited:
22, 3.65 BYU white man.

It's funny, they tell you to look for ways to improve your app. For most of us, it seems like we'd have to change race/undergrad haha. What else can people do with a 3.8 and a 23?

One thing that adcoms are great at doing is creating a class that will mesh well together and with the program. You all have great stats, which is why you were interviewed, but there is clearly more at play than meets the eye. Not getting in at the U does not mean you are a bad applicant. I'm sure you all will be amazing dentists someday!

One thing that adcoms are great at doing is creating a class that will mesh well together and with the program. You all have great stats, which is why you were interviewed, but there is clearly more at play than meets the eye. Not getting in at the U does not mean you are a bad applicant. I'm sure you all will be amazing dentists someday!

When I was the only non-LDS, non-married person out of eight people there, I definitely questioned how well I would've fit in at the school. I'm not saying I was rejected due to that, but being an investment banker from NYC probably didn't fit their idea of who would fit in best given the context

Last edited:
When I was the only non-LDS, non-married person out of eight people there, I definitely questioned how well I would've fit in at the school. I'm not saying I was rejected due to that, but being an investment banker from NYC probably didn't fit their idea of who would fit in best haha

I wasn't talking about race or demographics. Our class has a good mix of students from diverse backgrounds. I am not one to know exactly what they look for, but I do know that our diverse personalities mesh really well.

I wasn't talking about race or demographics. Our class has a good mix of students from diverse backgrounds. I am not one to know exactly what they look for, but I do know that our diverse personalities mesh really well.

Not trying to be rude, but adcoms are not mysterious god-like characters who know that 45 peoples personalities will exactly mesh just by brief interviewing. I am confident there are many reasons for every decision including backlash from accepting a non-racially diverse group, non-gender diverse group and accepting too many applicants from one school. but idk they DO get 200+ apps from BYU alone

Got the email earlier this morning saying that I was on the alternate list. It's nice that they give you your ranking on the list too. I called the school and asked how many people were added from the alternate list and it's very reassuring! I am a firm believer that schools look at more than just your raw stats. I am also a white male with a 20 DAT, 3.7 GPA. I think life experience and personality can play a huge role in successfully interviewing at a dental school.

I got an email saying I'm an alternate this morning. I'm OOS in terms of residency but I live and go to school in Utah. I don't go to BYU, 22 AA, 3.8 science, good recs. I felt really good about my interview. I'm not LDS but I look like a typical Mormon male lol

I felt like being a BYU applicant could hurt you because they probably don't want to just accept BYU students even though it's a great school. The BYU kids at my interview said almost everyone they knew at their school got an interview, so you probably had to be among the best at BYU to get accepted.

I got the waitlist email this morning also. I'm a female, OOS, non-traditional student. Statistically speaking UofU was definitely the most competitive school I applied to, so I was happy to get an interview.

As a side note, my father-in-law is a dentist and met Dr. Hume recently. He spoke quite a bit about how competitive the applicants are - comparable to most of the Ivy League schools and other highly competitive programs. If you look at the info published in the ADEA book from two years ago you can see that the average stats for the entering class were impressive (21.0 DAT and 3.79 GPA) and it appears to be getting even more competitive as the school becomes more established. It's a top notch school. Congrats to those with acceptances and those on the Alternate list, as that seems promising.

Reactions: 2 users
Not trying to be rude, but adcoms are not mysterious god-like characters who know that 45 peoples personalities will exactly mesh just by brief interviewing. I am confident there are many reasons for every decision including backlash from accepting a non-racially diverse group, non-gender diverse group and accepting too many applicants from one school. but idk they DO get 200+ apps from BYU alone

I agree with you. All I was trying to say is that all of you probably have great applications and the adcoms take more into account than most people realize. A common error on SDN is that people will be super surprised that someone who got a lower gpa got into a great school over someone with a much higher gpa. In reality, the schools see a lot of qualities in their applicants and can spot someone that will work for their program.

So don't judge the posts. I'm just trying to stay positive here for you guys.

For those wondering, last year they used up 17 of the alternates, though it wasn't clear whether there is a separate alternate list for OOS/IS.

Last edited:
I also received an alternate email this morning. I emailed Julie and she explained that there will be two separate alternate lists (one for in-state and one for OOS). Will anyone who has been accepted in-state be declining their offer?

Hey Class of 2021! Congrats on those who have accepted at this point! And hang in there, for those who are waiting. Good things will come. I've created a Facebook group for those who have been accepted so that you all can get to know each other. Just search for "University of Utah School of Dentistry Class of 2021" and I'll accept you into the group. Congrats!

Does anyone know how many people are on the ranked waiting list??

Can someone give a comparison of Roseman vs. UUSOD? From my research, the programs are almost polar opposite. Roseman does the hybrid curriculum, Utah is traditional. Roseman is expensive, Utah is inexpensive (IS). Roseman is P/F, Utah is traditional. Roseman has an average class size, Utah has a smaller class. I'm wondering if anyone has insights to how the students are at both schools? Happy/Stressed?, More inclined to specialize or not?, Relationship with faculty?, etc.

I can only tell you my perspective, which is biased. I have a few friends at Roseman that say they are happy there and they passed their boards. At Utah, I feel like most students are happy, but school is just stressful. I'm not sure whether more students specialize from Utah because we are in the fourth year now. I can say that everyone who has received a response for a specialty program right now has received an acceptance here at the U. Faculty here are very kind and student-focused. The UOUSOD is on its way to becoming a top program just like many of its other health-related programs. The students here are very fun and we all have a good time together. You should check out our mannequin challenge on Facebook to get a better idea of how cool we are. Hopefully that helps.

I can only tell you my perspective, which is biased. I have a few friends at Roseman that say they are happy there and they passed their boards. At Utah, I feel like most students are happy, but school is just stressful. I'm not sure whether more students specialize from Utah because we are in the fourth year now. I can say that everyone who has received a response for a specialty program right now has received an acceptance here at the U. Faculty here are very kind and student-focused. The UOUSOD is on its way to becoming a top program just like many of its other health-related programs. The students here are very fun and we all have a good time together. You should check out our mannequin challenge on Facebook to get a better idea of how cool we are. Hopefully that helps.

Preciate all your responses and stuff! Even though I'm not going to get in, it's nice to see someone helping out.

Are the lectures recorded? Do you have to scramble to take notes in your classes or do they teach through provided powerpoints?

Are the lectures recorded? Do you have to scramble to take notes in your classes or do they teach through provided powerpoints?

Lectures are not recorded, but they allow students to record them and they are all based on pre-provided PowerPoint slides, making note taking rather simple.

For those wondering, last year they used up 17 of the alternates, though it wasn't clear whether their is a separate alternate list for OOS/IS.
Julie said they have accepted all their alternates for the past couple years... so either she lied or you are perhaps misinformed? Where did you hear this statistic?

Julie said they have accepted all their alternates for the past couple years... so either she lied or you are perhaps misinformed? Where did you hear this statistic?

I heard this over the phone from Julie. She also said they were accepting alternates way up until August, so there's hope if you don't get in right away. :)

Maybe there were 17 alternates total last year?

I heard this over the phone from Julie. She also said they were accepting alternates way up until August, so there's hope if you don't get in right away. :)

Maybe there were 17 alternates total last year?
I doubt they would choose such a random number like 17 to make up their alternate list haha. But that is good to know so thanks for the info. Are there, in fact, two separate alternate lists for IS/OOS? Each 25 students long?

I was accepted to both University of Utah and Maryland and decided to stick with U of U, so I submitted my 1st deposit yesterday morning! That being said, are there any d-3 or d-4 students here, or do you know of any, that chose UofU over a highly ranked school? I ask this because of the obvious white elephant in the room, Utah is currently poorly ranked but, based on my experience at the facility and after meeting several faculty members, I am confident that the school will climb up the rankings soon and provide me with an exceptional education. Feel free to comment on your personal opinions on the school as compared to others!

Can someone give a comparison of Roseman vs. UUSOD? From my research, the programs are almost polar opposite. Roseman does the hybrid curriculum, Utah is traditional. Roseman is expensive, Utah is inexpensive (IS). Roseman is P/F, Utah is traditional. Roseman has an average class size, Utah has a smaller class. I'm wondering if anyone has insights to how the students are at both schools? Happy/Stressed?, More inclined to specialize or not?, Relationship with faculty?, etc.

My husband is in his third year at Roseman so I can give you some insight to the program. He loves it there and we truly have an incredible family life. He has many breaks and long weekends so our quality of life is nothing like we imagined for someone in dental school. Many students have enough free time to attend many CE courses. When he started, he asked if they could extend the MBA program from the pharmacy school to the dental students. It didn't take but a few meetings and they granted his request to have the MBA available to dental students. He attends a few half days in the summer to chip away at his MBA which has been nice. As far as competency; they score high on boards and the curriculum block schedule seems to academically prepare the students with a lot less stress. I also think the dean mentioned that all but one of the 27 students who applied to specialty programs got accepted which was a concern for some applicants.

As a mother of 5, it is my preferred school of choice but it comes at a great cost as it is a very expensive school. My husband is a recipient of the NHSC scholarship which is a great option to help cover fees. It pays the tuition at any dental program and includes a monthly stipend with a contract to work for each year at an NHSC rated clinic. It would be something I would probably apply for myself if I miraculously got in, haha.

I wouldn't be lying if I said that my husband is less stressed then he was in undergrad so we are grateful he chose Roseman over other offers.

I can't speak as detailed for UUSOD however, I have friends enrolled who seem to like it as well. The cost is ideal which can help with any financial stress and the times I visit everyone seems to be very kind. I think if my circumstances were different then this school would be a top contender. I know clinically both schools have great things to offer and you can start seeing patients early. Like you mentioned, they are black and white in comparison with many pros to each program. However, for most applicants I believe the intimate classes, prestigious status, low cost, and other qualities make the U their top choice. Good luck in everything and you can't go wrong with either!

I was accepted to both University of Utah and Maryland and decided to stick with U of U, so I submitted my 1st deposit yesterday morning! That being said, are there any d-3 or d-4 students here, or do you know of any, that chose UofU over a highly ranked school? I ask this because of the obvious white elephant in the room, Utah is currently poorly ranked but, based on my experience at the facility and after meeting several faculty members, I am confident that the school will climb up the rankings soon and provide me with an exceptional education. Feel free to comment on your personal opinions on the school as compared to others!

The answer is an astounding Yes. There are quite a few Of the inaugural classes that have been accepted into top programs. It is hard to rank a school when a class hasn't graduated yet, but I am confident that Utah will be a top school in the future.