***The Official USC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure!

OOS: 3.75 overall GPA, 3.8 Science GPA, 21 AA DAT, 22 PAT, 20 QR, 22 RC, 21 TS
Completed application in October and interviewed in November.

And to everyone else. . . don't give up ladies and gentlemen! There are still a multitude of acceptances to be given. You got this! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interviewed in November and still haven't heard back yet? I'm beginning to lose hope...

One of the USC D1 student I talked to said that most of her classmates got in late April and some 2 weeks before orientation. Don't give up hope guys. There's still a chance! I believe in you!

Reactions: 5 users
For the interview, what was the written portion like?

The writing portion is actually easy. They just want to get to know you and see your writing skills. You get about 15 mins to write a paragraph or two. It's going to be a easy question like, "If you were to go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?" or "what is your biggest accomplishment?"
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The writing portion is actually easy. They just want to get to know you and see your writing skills. You get about 15 mins to write a paragraph or two. It's going to be a easy question like, "If you were to go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?" or "what is your biggest accomplishment?"
Good luck!
My question was soooo random! It wasn't anything generic I hope it's not heavily weighed

They have one last interview on the 29th. From today's interview: the class is about 60-70% full, they send out acceptances in batch: 50 in Dec, roughly 36 each in Mar, May, and July (or Feb, Apr, and Jun,... or something similar :D), for 144 total. One student ambassador got accepted last year 1 week before orientation day.

My impression: they probably rank all the people interviewed in the same batch, start sending acceptances until they fill the number of seats assigned to that batch, put the rest of the candidates on the final waitlist, then move on to the next batch and repeat the cycle. When they are done with offering acceptances to the last batch, they will go back to the waitlist to fill the remaining seats, which is probably in Apr or May. Again, just my guess.

Also, if you think USC is expensive, then the school is not for you. If you can look past the tuition cost, there are plenty of opportunity and benefits that make your money worth it. They do make sure you get what you pay for at USC. But of course it all depends on what you value more. I say choose the school that makes you a happy dentist in the future because happy dentists make their patients happy, and we can all start making a happy world of dentistry ;)

Reactions: 4 users
They have one last interview on the 29th. From today's interview: the class is about 60-70% full, they send out acceptances in batch: 50 in Dec, roughly 36 each in Mar, May, and July (or Feb, Apr, and Jun,... or something similar :D), for 144 total. One student ambassador got accepted last year 1 week before orientation day.

My impression: they probably rank all the people interviewed in the same batch, start sending acceptances until they fill the number of seats assigned to that batch, put the rest of the candidates on the final waitlist, then move on to the next batch and repeat the cycle. When they are done with offering acceptances to the last batch, they will go back to the waitlist to fill the remaining seats, which is probably in Apr or May. Again, just my guess.

Also, if you think USC is expensive, then the school is not for you. If you can look past the tuition cost, there are plenty of opportunity and benefits that make your money worth it. They do make sure you get what you pay for at USC. But of course it all depends on what you value more. I say choose the school that makes you a happy dentist in the future because happy dentists make their patients happy, and we can all start making a happy world of dentistry ;)
I think they interview in april too... i think

Did anyone who interviewed on March 7 & 8 hear anything back yet?

I tried to schedule my interview after the 29th but was told that would be the last one. Still, since they did not say anything exclusive during the interview, I imagine they could host more interview in April if they still need to find more qualifying candidates.

after hearing everything yesterday i wonder if they'll send any acceptances tomorrow! i saw a few weeks ago a few people got acceptance emails a few days after their interview. or if we won't hear till may

I tried to schedule my interview after the 29th but was told that would be the last one. Still, since they did not say anything exclusive during the interview, I imagine they could host more interview in April if they still need to find more qualifying candidates.
oh wow!

after hearing everything yesterday i wonder if they'll send any acceptances tomorrow! i saw a few weeks ago a few people got acceptance emails a few days after their interview. or if we won't hear till may
or maybe after they interview the 29th? but hopefully tomorrow

Congrats to everyone who received an interview invitation recently! Would you guys be able to ask how full their class is when you go and then update us on here please??
I thought you got accepted here?

Reapplicant and interviewed back in November also. Still waiting..
If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview last time and how have your stats changed from the first time you applied to USC compared to now?

Oh man, I'm gonna be checking my email every second now haha
I feel the next (and possibly last) batch of acceptances is more likely to be Friday or next Monday after the last interview session on the 29. But then again I've been wrong before o_O:nailbiting:

I feel the next (and possibly last) batch of acceptances is more likely to be Friday or next Monday after the last interview session on the 29. But then again I've been wrong before o_O:nailbiting:
They showed their schedule to send out acceptance batches during the interview. The next one is Mar/Apr while the last one is June/July. In the between batches, they send individual acceptances to continue filling the batch when people drop their seats.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
They showed their schedule to send out acceptance batches during the interview. The next one is Mar/Apr while the last one is June/July. In the between batches, they send individual acceptances to continue filling the batch when people drop their seats.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile
Oh that's really good to know! Thanks. Fingers crossed

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview last time and how have your stats changed from the first time you applied to USC compared to now?
First time I've applied (2 cycles ago), I was a sub 3.0gpa, 19aa 19ts 19pat and interviewed in march. Since then, took some time off to gain some work exp as a dental tech for a year and a half, added volunteering hours, re took the DAT and did an informal post-bacc (took upper div science classes). This cycle i have a 3.2gpa DAT 20aa 20ts 22pat.. I kept in touch w/ admission officers during my gap years and spoke to them in person when I went to the CDA convention in may last year.

I think my stats are still not competitive enough tho.. I was really surprised when I got the interview invite in November lol but still low chance of getting in since sc rank base on gpa and dat mostly. I felt like I did a lot better at the interview than my first time that's for sure.. I got in a 1 year smp so if I don't hear from them then I'll be reapplying again in a year lol or maybe this following cycle but not sure yet still deciding..

Not losing hope yet since they are still accepting until august lol

If anyone is looking for a formal program to improve your application, I would recommend looking into the one-year master program at University of South Florida (USF) - Morsani College of Medicine.
Just google: "Morsani MSP3".
Feel free to PM me with have any question.

First time I've applied (2 cycles ago), I was a sub 3.0gpa, 19aa 19ts 19pat and interviewed in march. Since then, took some time off to gain some work exp as a dental tech for a year and a half, added volunteering hours, re took the DAT and did an informal post-bacc (took upper div science classes). This cycle i have a 3.2gpa DAT 20aa 20ts 22pat.. I kept in touch w/ admission officers during my gap years and spoke to them in person when I went to the CDA convention in may last year.

I think my stats are still not competitive enough tho.. I was really surprised when I got the interview invite in November lol but still low chance of getting in since sc rank base on gpa and dat mostly. I felt like I did a lot better at the interview than my first time that's for sure.. I got in a 1 year smp so if I don't hear from them then I'll be reapplying again in a year lol or maybe this following cycle but not sure yet still deciding..

Not losing hope yet since they are still accepting until august lol
Where did you hear how USC ranks its wait-list?

Is this to say then that the interview isn't taken too much into account during their selection process?

Since USC usually send the acceptance email on April 1st, do you guys think that they will send it on April 1st? but it is Saturday, so maybe next week Monday, April 3rd?

Where did you hear how USC ranks its wait-list?

They told us at the interview that they rank their candidates and then offer acceptances going down that list based on the ranking.

Is this to say then that the interview isn't taken too much into account during their selection process?

The interview does have its weight on the application decision, but it is not the only thing being considered after an interview.

A common misunderstanding I keep hearing is that: "once you get an interview, the school likes your stats and your admission relies mainly on your interview." This is only half true. The stats competition is still there. After the interview, the school compares the student's profile as a whole to other candidate's profiles with their ranking system. The competition is actually tougher because everyone now has qualifying stats. So if a student has a borderline stats, he or she will need an exceptional performance to compete with other candidates who have good stats and only need to not say anything wrong during their interviews. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year I interviewed and never heard back about a final decision. I interviewed again this year and it looks like it's going to be the same story this time around.

Very unimpressed by their admissions process and I definitely wouldn't choose to go here even if I got in, based on their lack of communication/respect for their applicants.

Last year I interviewed and never heard back about a final decision. I interviewed again this year and it looks like it's going to be the same story this time around.

Very unimpressed by their admissions process and I definitely wouldn't choose to go here even if I got in, based on their lack of communication/respect for their applicants.
when did you interview?

Keep your head up. You mind sharing your stats?

Sorry to hear that. I've been pretty impressed with how they've handled admissions to be honest and I definitely haven't felt disrespected. It can definitely be tough when interviewing as many applicants as they do. Best of luck to you! I hope you get a chance at your top pick.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.