***The Official USC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an interview invite! :D They have a bunch of November dates left, by the way. They even gave me an October choice.

What dates did they offer? I'm trying to figure out how many people USC will consider for pre-December spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys! :)

I submitted day 4 of the cycle. 23 AA, 22 TS, 19 PAT. 3.7 GPA

They gave me October 26, and a few days very early November. I'm assuming they have lots more days in November still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! :)

I submitted day 4 of the cycle. 23 AA, 22 TS, 19 PAT. 3.7 GPA

They gave me October 26, and a few days very early November. I'm assuming they have lots more days in November still.

Yes, but what days? USC only fills out an X amount of seats on Dec 1st.

Interview #3

School: USC
Notification date: 10/14/2016
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/2016
GPA (science, overall): sGPA 3.65, cGPA 3.71
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/24/21/26/none

Yes, but what days? USC only fills out an X amount of seats on Dec 1st.
Please select one of the following dates:

Wednesday, October 26

Tuesday, November 1

Wednesday, November 2

Thursday, November 3

Tuesday, November 8

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone that has already interviewed, do they only do a group interview? Or is there a 1 on 1 interview as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone that has already interviewed, do they only do a group interview? Or is there a 1 on 1 interview as well?

From everything I have heard over the last few years, it is mainly group interviews.

I have an interview on October 26 I got notified last month,for those of you that went what does the "hands on problem
Based learning interview" consist off
Thanks a lot!

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview on October 26 I got notified last month,for those of you that went what does the "hands on problem
Based learning interview" consist off
Thanks a lot!
Basically PBL uses case studies as a way of teaching didactics. Each PBL case lasts several weeks from what I've been told and each member of the group (8-10 people) needs to research certain topics that are relevant to the case in order to figure out what is wrong with the patient in the case study. As far as the interview goes, it is essentially a simplified, mock version of this. You guys get a sheet of paper explaining a patient's symptoms and background information that you guys need to sift through and brainstorm what might be causing the symptoms.

Anyone know if the interview is closed or open file? I think it's interesting that they really don't have the typical interview process with the pbl group interview. This one has me the most nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I have my interview Nov. 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats. When did you hear? Would you mind sharing your stats, and the dates on your application?

For those that have interviewed already, is there anything I could do to prepare for the PBL interview? How complex are the "cases" that they give you?

Reactions: 1 users
Received an invitation to interview yesterday 11/1 and interviewing 11/9, keep waiting y'all!

For those who interviewed, what time were you done with the day and what time could you leave USC? (Trying to figure out flights...)

For those that have interviewed already, is there anything I could do to prepare for the PBL interview? How complex are the "cases" that they give you?
I just had my interview today! They pass around this basket of questions that was the same as the ones listed on SDN for the interview feedback. You have to do two for the group. As for PBL, I don't think it was all that difficult. Just pay attention when they talk about the process in the first part of the day. I forget the specific names, but there are 3 steps to the process and just know how to do each one. I think there is a paper about it in the dropbox but it's super complicated. I found it really easy during the interview, but it may be difficult to let your voice be heard if there are dominating people in the room, so speak up! But don't be too dominant. I really don't see how you could prepare beforehand, but I didn't personally find it stressful or intimidating at all. Maybe I just had a good interview group that worked well together.

Also, I forgot to mention this but my case was very basic. They weren't trying to trick us or anything. I'd say it was pretty obvious what the problem was with the patient. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I just had my interview today! They pass around this basket of questions that was the same as the ones listed on SDN for the interview feedback. You have to do two for the group.

I havn't been able to find the sample interview questions listed on SDN. Any chance you could link that forum post? Thank you for the great info!

Where did/ are you guys staying for the interview?

I am looking for a decent priced hotel that is not too shady...

Thanks in advance!

Got an interview to USC yesterday via email around 8 pm

Hi everyone!

I am a D1 at USC. Congratulations to those who have received an interview! USC is an amazing dental school and I am so glad to be here. For those of you who haven't received an interview, DO NOT feel discouraged. It is still really early in the cycle.

I remember being in your shoes a year ago and had a lot of people on SDN help me out during the application process so I want to pay it forward. If you all have any questions feel free to shoot me a message!

The interview at USC is really relaxed, two questions that are usually unrelated to dentistry so they can see how you respond on your feet without giving a rehearsed answer. The mock PBL case is also fun, just contribute to the discussion and don't try to dominate over the discussion.

Talk to as many people as you can during the interview day so you can get a better feel for the program. I will be honest, PBL is not a style of learning that works for everybody. Some of my classmates wish we had traditional lecture. But I think lectures are more passive, PBL is really active. It also allows for a more flexible schedule, so we get a bunch of time to work on our clinical skills.

If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck this cycle!

Fight on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if the interview process is different for someone that has previously participated in the USC interview?
Thanks!

Any reapplicant who interviewed last year received an interview invitation? or interviewed already?

Do you know anyone that got accepted or interviewed to USC dental school with a 14 QR? I have only one section below a 15. With one section below a 15, do I have a chance of being interviewed and or accepted in USC dental school?

Did anyone receive a "Thank You" note from The Office of Admissions after interviewing or is it just me?

Did anyone receive a "Thank You" note from The Office of Admissions after interviewing or is it just me?

Everyone who interviews gets a post interview email with additional info requested.

Do you know anyone that got accepted or interviewed to USC dental school with a 14 QR? I have only one section below a 15. With one section below a 15, do I have a chance of being interviewed and or accepted in USC dental school?

You aren't giving enough information for anyone to guess better than you can. It would depend on your gpa, all your other scores from the DAT, extracurriculars, shadowing/work hours etc. If you are really curious about your chances, no one would know better than USC. Call them and ask if your application is competitive enough for an interview and if not, what you can do to improve it. Good luck!

You aren't giving enough information for anyone to guess better than you can. It would depend on your gpa, all your other scores from the DAT, extracurriculars, shadowing/work hours etc. If you are really curious about your chances, no one would know better than USC. Call them and ask if your application is competitive enough for an interview and if not, what you can do to improve it. Good luck!

The minimum for USC dental school is a 15 on each section. My DATs are 18 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT, 17 RC, 22 GC, 22 OC, and 17 BIO. My undergrad gpa is a 2.83 overall and 3.17-3.24 overall in a masters. I have 1610 hrs of EC, 150 hrs of dental shadowing, good PS, and good LORs.

Everyone who interviews gets a post interview email with additional info requested.

I wasn't talking about that. What I was referring to was a handwritten note from them.

The minimum for USC dental school is a 15 on each section. My DATs are 18 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT, 17 RC, 22 GC, 22 OC, and 17 BIO. My undergrad gpa is a 2.83 overall and 3.17-3.24 overall in a masters. I have 1610 hrs of EC, 150 hrs of dental shadowing, good PS, and good LORs.
Short Answer: No.

Why: Both your GPA and DAT scores really put you at a disadvantage for getting an interview. Doing a Masters didn't seem to help you all too much either as you didn't prove to AdComs that you can perform and excel at the graduate-level.

I wasn't talking about that. What I was referring to was a handwritten note from them.

Short Answer: No.

Why: Both your GPA and DAT scores really put you at a disadvantage for getting an interview. Doing a Masters didn't seem to help you all too much either as you didn't prove to AdComs that you can perform and excel at the graduate-level.
Undergrad gpa?

You are the only person I've heard of who got a handwritten letter as a thank you for interviewing. Sounds like a good thing though!

Undergrad gpa?

Both your undergrad and grad school GPAs aren't super competitive. That's not to say you won't receive any interviews, but the likelihood isn't very high. Dental schools definitely consider multiple factors when selecting applicants for interviews. Best of luck!

Both your undergrad and grad school GPAs aren't super competitive. That's not to say you won't receive any interviews, but the likelihood isn't very high. Dental schools definitely consider multiple factors when selecting applicants for interviews. Best of luck!

My DATs are 18 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT, 17 RC, 22 GC, 22 OC, and 17 BIO. I have 1610 hrs of EC, 150 hrs of dental shadowing, good PS, and good LORs. I was told by one of the admissions counselor one day on the phone and he said that the 3.17 gpa in a masters is competitive, because the committee likes to see above a 3.0 in a masters.

My DATs are 18 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT, 17 RC, 22 GC, 22 OC, and 17 BIO. I have 1610 hrs of EC, 150 hrs of dental shadowing, good PS, and good LORs. I was told by one of the admissions counselor one day on the phone and he said that the 3.17 gpa in a masters is competitive, because the committee likes to see above a 3.0 in a masters.

Sorry to say that my counselor two years ago said that to me too that if I got a 3.0 in a masters it would be good enough, but I learned down the road it wasn't. To be honest a 3.5+ is competitive and a 3.8+ is even better. You may have a decent chance at interviews if you carefully research and apply to the schools that are known to look at apps holistically and take full consideration of every aspect of your application. Good luck!!

Did anyone else's AADSAS status change to "check back Dec 1st"?

Status
Not open for further replies.