The OFFICIAL UST- FMS CLASS OF 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow, you're already excited about those diagnostic instruments, hehe. actually, during first year you will not be needing those yet. it's only during second year that you'll be using these instruments. anyway at least you have it already prepared. hope it's a nice buy. you'll be encountering also during the year some people advertising those things in class.:D
Well it was a nice deal. For P4,800.00 I got a Reichter steth, aneroid & mercurial sphyg., diagnostic set, VCD (physical exam), and a lab gown para sa anatomy lab (ung green) :D Marami din sa batchmates ko na magmmed ung bumili dun. Tska ung nagbebenta kc doctor sya classmate dati sa med nung prof ko sa histopath. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I'm looking for one female dormer for my friend (she can't do this herself because she's spending the summer in europe).

The apartment is at "RED J" on Dos Castillas, its literally a 3 minute walk from the Ust Med bldg. The Red J building is very new, opened just last year. The unit has marble tiles, has 1 bedroom, 1 CR, there are closests in the bedroom. The place is pretty much furnished and approximately 50 sq. m in area. The bedroom will be air con. There are presently two dormers in the apartment (my friend who i mentioned earlier and another friend of mine, both girls were from UP Diliman BS BIO and are presently Batch 2010 section D USTFMS). They are looking for a third roommate.

Rent is exactly 5,167 pesos a month. EXclusive of association dues and other monthly bills. PM me if your interested! Thanks!:D

hi there squash22 you still looking for a dorm? please see my post for details

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it was a nice deal. For P4,800.00 I got a Reichter steth, aneroid & mercurial sphyg., diagnostic set, VCD (physical exam), and a lab gown para sa anatomy lab (ung green) :D Marami din sa batchmates ko na magmmed ung bumili dun. Tska ung nagbebenta kc doctor sya classmate dati sa med nung prof ko sa histopath. ;)

i got one of those too! i referred to him 5 friends and he changed my japan-made aneroid to an american-made aneroid... only diffrence i think is that the american-made is luminous...

i'm having mixed feeings about med though... excited and at the same time scared... :confused: do any of you feel the same way?

don't jump into too much excitement and start buying every little gadgets for doctors this early on. For clerkship the only important stuff that you need is a "workable" stethoscope, BP ap, thermometer and a tape measure (for OB and pedia) and lots of ballpoint pens.

A doctor relies on his skills in interviewing patients to diagnose 99% of cases.
a diagnostic set requires considerable investment and you'll soon find out that you would HARDLY use it:thumbdown: . Even if you are considering going into optha or ENT this early on, you would probably buy a new and even more powerful gadgets that cost twice or 3x more :eek:

if you are rich and have money to burn, go ahead and buy it. But if budget is quite a problem. Don't waste your money.
a good litman stet(cheap ones exist that work real well too! a cardio stet won't do you any good unless you have a cardiologist talent of picking up problematic heart sounds), less than php1000aneroid BP ap, and a cheap php10.00 thermometer is all you need 90% of the time.

^ totally agree! :thumbup:

you don't have to buy a littman steth to be "in". all you need to have/practice is the skills. regardless of your instruments, you'll be able to diagnose your patient and manage them accordingly.

thnx bubbles00 but i already have a dorm :)

about the stets and the bp aps: im gonna stick to my old ones i used in nursing hehehehe (sentimental value eh) :)

Hey guys. Got accepted too for incoming SY 07-08. Just having some problems with financial aid. :(

Hey guys. Got accepted too for incoming SY 07-08. Just having some problems with financial aid. :(

Saw your thread regarding financial aid. I may not be the best person to give you adivice but as we say, "nakakapanghinayang"
- Going here to the Philippines I think is your priority problem (visa, citizenship, place to stay and all the paperworks needed for you to settle here); some US citizens had to settle first here in the Philippines before they could have worked out their papers in admission (thats a better "diskarte" so to speak) ensuring that they are here for the physical exams and laboratories and enrollment etcetera etcetera.
- It really is hard for Philippine Schools to deal with such paperworks like the ones you've mentioned unless it has been pretty well planned and sent here to date... if you could have your sponsor send you your money here, I guess that could help alleviate your problems
- UST, I heard, is offering scholarship

before anything else... ANG SARAP GRUMADUATE... (Pomp and Circumstance playing right now)

UST- FMS admissions says we have to follow up the results of the physical exam then pay up the tab on the respective enrollment dates.

Whose enrolling on the 28th?

Kelan ang sukatan ng uniforms?

^
I went to ust today to get a copy of the uniform specifications. (The price list and the contact numbers of the person who is in charge of the uniforms is also written there.) You can get your copy in the admissions office.

Venue of measurement: Pay High School.
Scedule of Measurement: Starts May 15, 2007.
Mon - Fri: 9am - 4pm

Hi guys I'm a newbie :D. I also had a hard time registering. It was as if all the member names I could think of has already been used by other people.:laugh:

I'm also scheduled for enrollment on the 28th :D

I read this from the bulletin board near the admissions office. UST gives financial aid to deserving students in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year (not sure about 4th year though) but you need to have an ave of ___ and a grade not lower than ___ (I'm sorry I read this a month a ago so it's kind of vague to me now). There's a partial (50%) and a full scholarship. From what I can remember, I think you need an ave of 86 up to qualify for full scholarship.

I think it would be better if you would just read what's posted on the board... (Sorry if I'm of little help or no help at all).

If you're facing the office from the hallway, It's the bulletin board to your right.:D

Kelan ang sukatan ng uniforms?

there's no definite date for this. actually, dapat nung april ka pa nagpatahi to avoid any hassles (you can make adjustments pa with the measurements).

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know what date the tour is for the first years? and when med is scheduled to start?

anyone know what date the tour is for the first years? and when med is scheduled to start?

the tour is on the afternoon of your first day. you will be guided by members of orgs/frats/sors. quite tiring though. going up and down the stairs on a hot day.

excited na ako mag May 28th- kita kita sa enrollment

I'm enrolling on the 18th..:) May question lng ako..when you give the downpayment, dun na ba daw mababawas ung 25,000 na reservation fee dati?

BTW, I'm looking for 1 more roommate (male). My friend and I already have a unit in Dela Rosa bldg. at Lacson St..it's the bldg. with McDonald's on the ground floor..so we're right across the street from the campus (very near!;))..studio type..it's quite spacious compared to other apartment units..the unit costs 12,000/mo. so that's 4000 each if there are 3 of us..plus the bills maybe an additional 500 each, so around 4500 each/mo. Quite cheap actually, considering the location and the size of the unit..if anyone is interested feel free to PM me..:D

mabait kming 2 promise tahimik kmi mag aral, malinis sa gamit,sanay magdorm :laugh: ...plus our surnames start with M and P..we prefer it if you're gonna be in the same section as us [i'm guessing it's C201:D] so we have the same schedule and all..also, don't worry about being OP..this is our 1st time being in the same unit ;) :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

P for Palisoc- although am not sure pa kung kukuha ako ng dorm, just reserving pa lang and still checking things out; similar characteristics as what youve mentioned sa description nyo pagdating sa buhay dorm. Hanggang kailan kayo magtatawag ng mga potential dorm mates nyo?

Karagdagan: Ano yung kulay ng pantalon ng lalaki for incoming freshies? Puti or itim? Anong tela yung ginamit?

Karagdagan: May nagsasabi na 13 na raw ang pasukan? Gaano po ito katotoo?

all white. Type of cloth depends on your taste, no restrictions. Black shoes, any colored socks. :thumbup:

haay... buti pa mga guys naka pants. may med school ba na pants din uniform ng girls? hehehe mas praktikal kasi kung tutuusin eh

isang buwan na lang pasukan na! :D

Buti ka pa- tapos ka na ng NLE, ako kukuha pa lang ako nitong 10- 11 ng june, just immediately before the first day of classes. Haaayyy. Sa UP Med, ang babae nila naka pantalon na puti. Anyways, di ba kukuha ka nga pala ng NLE this year, ano yung sayo- test 3 and 5 lang o yung suicide na take all tests? If ever, good luck sayo.

Hi guys,

This sounds funny :) but I hope someone can post a picture of the UST Med Uniform (for first year students) for girls. I know I already wrote in this forum that I was able to get a copy but my seamstress (is the spelling correct) lost my copy and I don't want to go all the way back to UST just for that. I live pretty far away. Thanks :D.

503127061_f73bc87642_o.jpg

In paying for the tuition, will they be asking for the receipt you've paid for the down payment (25,000- as proof) or is it okay if you've lost it already?

Did anyone continue the successive titers for Hep B (the second and third dose)? Is it still required?

In paying for the tuition, will they be asking for the receipt you've paid for the down payment (25,000- as proof) or is it okay if you've lost it already?

Did anyone continue the successive titers for Hep B (the second and third dose)? Is it still required?

i think it's necessary that you still have the receipt when you pay your fee. you have to present it to the teller at the treasurer's office as proof that you indeed paid the reservation fee. but if you lost it i think they still have the record of your payment.

definitely, it's a must that you complete the three vaccinations before you work at the hospital. it's your lost if you do not comply with it because if months passed without administering the second one, i think you're going to start with the first titer again. another payment.

but if you don't care paying for the first titer again, you have the option not to do it right away. hehe, i know some incoming second years who have not completed the vaccine (and that includes me).

Saw your thread regarding financial aid. I may not be the best person to give you adivice but as we say, "nakakapanghinayang"
- Going here to the Philippines I think is your priority problem (visa, citizenship, place to stay and all the paperworks needed for you to settle here); some US citizens had to settle first here in the Philippines before they could have worked out their papers in admission (thats a better "diskarte" so to speak) ensuring that they are here for the physical exams and laboratories and enrollment etcetera etcetera.
- It really is hard for Philippine Schools to deal with such paperworks like the ones you've mentioned unless it has been pretty well planned and sent here to date... if you could have your sponsor send you your money here, I guess that could help alleviate your problems
- UST, I heard, is offering scholarship

Uy nice, thanks for the info. Anyway, it seems I've figured out my finances so we'll see. I am really running late with enrollment/physical labs but I've talked with some people and said it was ok as long as I make it before the 13th.

One last question, I noticed you said something about visa/citizenship. Do you need a student visa if you're a US citizen ba to study in the Philippines?

i think if your a naturalized Filipino, you dont need a student visa anymore- play safe with such documents id always say, if you think that getting a student visa wouldn't be too much of a burden, then get one- if its a requirement, then at least you have something to present- do hurry though, enrollement is on going now plus the lines in the physical exam are getting longer- you still have to take your Hep B vaccines (if youve not taken them yet). Good luck colleague

June 12 - Opening of Classes, there's also a Mass
June 13 - Orientation for freshies

When I enrolled last friday, they asked me to present the receipt they issued when I paid the reservation fee.

how much did you pay all in all (minus the 25K downpayment)

i think if your a naturalized Filipino, you dont need a student visa anymore- play safe with such documents id always say, if you think that getting a student visa wouldn't be too much of a burden, then get one- if its a requirement, then at least you have something to present- do hurry though, enrollement is on going now plus the lines in the physical exam are getting longer- you still have to take your Hep B vaccines (if youve not taken them yet). Good luck colleague

Oh I'm actually a natural born (edit:Filipino) citizen. I just moved here because the family moved here(edit:US). Its just that I recently applied for US citizenship, so I'm wondering if that will be a problem. I still have my Philippine passport, so I'm hoping that's enough.

I am hurrying. Unfortunately I can't leave the US until the 2nd of June. :( Basically have a week to enroll. :eek: I think I'm complete with my hepa B vaccines. Gonna check my records with me.

June 12 - Opening of Classes, there's also a Mass
June 13 - Orientation for freshies

When I enrolled last friday, they asked me to present the receipt they issued when I paid the reservation fee.

Ah ganon, so Monday is basically our "holiday" then?

uhm... nakalimutan kong mag pa ID hehe and sa jun 3 pa ako babalik sa manila. san ba nag papa pic para sa ID?

about dun sa mass: kelangan bang naka uniform na? kelangan ba talagang mag attend sa mass?

uhm... nakalimutan kong mag pa ID hehe and sa jun 3 pa ako babalik sa manila. san ba nag papa pic para sa ID?

about dun sa mass: kelangan bang naka uniform na? kelangan ba talagang mag attend sa mass?

don't you worry bout the id. i guess (like last year) you'll be having your id pic shot after the mass. so with that, yes, you should be in your uniform that day.

you're not really required to attend the mass but hey there's nothing to lose if you attend the first university mass of the school year. and right after that the photo shoot.

you're id will be ready at most by august. hehe, feeling the excitement.:D

don't you worry bout the id. i guess (like last year) you'll be having your id pic shot after the mass. so with that, yes, you should be in your uniform that day.

you're not really required to attend the mass but hey there's nothing to lose if you attend the first university mass of the school year. and right after that the photo shoot.

Kailangang naka uniform ba pagkukuhanan ng litrato? Hindi ba pwedeng personal choice kung ano yung isuot na damit sa id?

Sa mga nakapagenroll? Magkano yung idinagdag nyo for full payment sa 25K na down?

Thanks

Kailangang naka uniform ba pagkukuhanan ng litrato? Hindi ba pwedeng personal choice kung ano yung isuot na damit sa id?

Sa mga nakapagenroll? Magkano yung idinagdag nyo for full payment sa 25K na down?

Thanks

yes, it is required that you be in your uniform for your id photo. it is part of the identification since your course is not indicated in the id card.

hehe, better get used to wearing the uniform the whole year. even during makeup classes or laboratory, you're required to wear the uniform (with saturdays not exempted). no wash days except if there will be another uaap basketball championship game for ust tigers to play this year.

that's one thing students from AdMU and UP got to adjust to. :D

for your initial payment... last year when the total fee was 79K, we were asked to pay 42K during enrolment. just prepare at least 50K to be sure (so it's 25K since you've already paid the 25K reservation fee).

gosh! ang mahal na ng tuition nyo.. and it's just for 1 sem..

when i entered fms, it was just 60K..

my sis's tuition (incoming 2nd yr) is at 80K.. yikes!

Ah ganon, so Monday is basically our "holiday" then?

Yup, June 11 yung walang pasok pero June 12 is still Independence Day.

hentaisocrnmdph... parang late na rin yung reply ko/ Hope you are able to read this before enrolment. I added P14,400 to the P25K na reservation free, that's if your payment mode is partial. Regarding the Hepa B shots, I still went to UST-HS to submit the certification that I had my Hepa B (the second one) and MMR shot. But as long as your name is in the list of cleared students for enrolment by the HS, you can proceed with enrolment (I was cleared for enrolment even before I submitted the certification for the 2nd dose of Hepa B and for MMR). So I guess you only need to comply with having the first dose.

Okay lang, nakapagenroll na ako kanina- IIIYYYEEEHHHHEEEYYYYYYYY (Thomasian na baga ako?)

Kanino makukuha yung Hep B certification? After na ba yun nung 3rd (last dose)?

Sabi kanina ni Kristine, okay na raw yung mga papeles ko- Sa June 12 na raw uli ang punta ko, wala na bang classcards akong dapat makuha o dapat na ibigay nya sa akin?

Kita kits sa June 12

^
If you're getting your Hepa B shot in UST-HS there's no need for a certification from your doctor but if you're getting it outside then you'll be needing one. But I heard that getting your Hepa shots in UST is cheaper than going to other doctors or hospitals. But nothing beats getting it for free... hehehe :D Yung certification na binagay ko that was for the 2nd dose. Nov pa sched yung 3rd dose ko.

Si kristine - is the name of the girl from admissions? She just told me na okay na rin ako and she didn't give me anything naman :D

Hentoisocrnmdph... Yung pic mo is that from your graduation? :D Hehehe. Ikaw ba yung guy sa library ni ms.rita (yung librarian ehehehe) na naka yellow ust med shirt? :) Nursing ka right? Pharm kasi ako.

^^
Oo- ako nga yon- ehehehehehe, nagyayabang lang ako nung panahon na yon kaya isinuot ko sa lib yung UST shirt- sayang, sarado ang UST museum kung saan ko nakuha yung shirt- last na raw yung nabili ko, although i heard na magkakaroon sila uli ng bagong mga stocks na shirt. Sa graduation ko isinuot yung sablay pic ko (yes, ako lang ang nagsablay sa buong graduating class ng nursing)

Schedule ko:
Gross Ana TTh 7- 12 RM 416B
Bio Chem MW 12- 4 405
Physio MW 7- 12 404
Histo F 1- 4 320
Neuro Ana Th 2- 4 319
Psych 1 F 10- 11 204
Clin Epid T 2- 4 223
Med Ethics - - -

Magkaklase ba tayo in any of the subjects?

^
Sabi ko na nga eh, ikaw yun eh... hehehe... OMG!!! We're classmates in all of the subjects :D Yay, may isa pa akong kakilala :) And to think I told you before in the library that we might not even be classmates :cool: Nagagawi ka pa sa lib? Say hi to ms.rita for me, fave librarian namin sya sa pharm (dati before she was trasferred to your lib). Good luck sa exams :D Ba't yung med ethics walang sched, walang date at walang time?

^^^
haaay- sa wakas, may kaklase na ako

hmmm- sige- pagnagawi ako sa CN, greet ko si Mam Ritz for you, medyo busy ako ngayon, will take the Nursing Boards this June 10- 11 (tapos 12 ang pasukan... haaayyy). Taga UP rin ba yung kakilala mo? Anong college? Good luck sa atin

Yung Med Ethics- baka TBA

Sa mga seniors, anong pagkakasunod sunod ng systems ang ididiscuss sa Gross ana (susundin ba nila yung table of contents sa pagkakasunod sunod ni Keith Moore kung sakali, mainam bang sundin ito)?

Bakit separate ang neuro ana sa gross ana?

Kailangan na bang magbasa ng synopsis ng psych for psych 1?

Yup, Biochem or Bio. I can't remember...

^^^
haaay- sa wakas, may kaklase na ako

hmmm- sige- pagnagawi ako sa CN, greet ko si Mam Ritz for you, medyo busy ako ngayon, will take the Nursing Boards this June 10- 11 (tapos 12 ang pasukan... haaayyy). Taga UP rin ba yung kakilala mo? Anong college? Good luck sa atin

Yung Med Ethics- baka TBA

Sa mga seniors, anong pagkakasunod sunod ng systems ang ididiscuss sa Gross ana (susundin ba nila yung table of contents sa pagkakasunod sunod ni Keith Moore kung sakali, mainam bang sundin ito)?

Bakit separate ang neuro ana sa gross ana?

Kailangan na bang magbasa ng synopsis ng psych for psych 1?

anatomy module begins with the systems and organs orientation. dissection and small-group discussions (sgd) will start with the hair and scalp, then face, and muscles of the extremities. the rest will be during the second shifting. for the anatomy dissection, the department recommends nell's anatomy although moore's is good since it shows the actual picture. and for your sgd, gray's ana or snell's clinical ana is very helpful.

neuro is quite a complex subject that's why it is separated from ana. there are so much complicated terms to learn. hehe, i was only able to understand it during the third shift.

with regards to psychiatry, i could say it's quite an easy subject compared with the others. you'll have to memorize only basic things. and if you've taken psychology subject during your pre-med, you won't have any difficulty with it. well, that's just psch1. you'll use kaplan's synopsis til third year. i bet by second year, it'll get harder since more complicated things will be introduced. if you're that OC to want to start studying now, you could read the stages and theories (erikson's, freud's and piaget's) of development til the part on emotions, learning, and defense mechanism. that's the scope of psych1. the tables are important to learn since there are so many matching type questions in the exams.

don't worry, all lessons, exams, quizzes, discussions, and other activities are already scheduled for all subjects. all are planned so you are given the privilege to prepare for them. no such thing as surprised test. they will give you the syllabus and schedule at the start of the subject class. also, look for samplex (examinations of the past years). it's a very big help but don't depend too much on it.

hehe, i'm already pre-empting the orientation. anyway, your classmates for one subject will be your classmate for all of your subject. you'll never be mixed up with the other sections (except during exams) and there's no class cards.

with your schedule, i guess you're section B. if that's the case you (sections A and B) only have psychiatry and clinical epi (that's a new subject, last year epidemiology was part of prevmed) as semestral subjects. you'll have medical ethics (that's why there's no sked indicated) and preventive medicine next semester. sections C and D will have ethics and prevmed for the first sem and psych and epi during the second sem.

Question: Does UST allow clinical rotations in the US or in any other country abroad? Thanks

anatomy module begins with the systems and organs orientation. dissection and small-group discussions (sgd) will start with the hair and scalp, then face, and muscles of the extremities. the rest will be during the second shifting. for the anatomy dissection, the department recommends nell's anatomy although moore's is good since it shows the actual picture. and for your sgd, gray's ana or snell's clinical ana is very helpful.

neuro is quite a complex subject that's why it is separated from ana. there are so much complicated terms to learn. hehe, i was only able to understand it during the third shift.

with regards to psychiatry, i could say it's quite an easy subject compared with the others. you'll have to memorize only basic things. and if you've taken psychology subject during your pre-med, you won't have any difficulty with it. well, that's just psch1. you'll use kaplan's synopsis til third year. i bet by second year, it'll get harder since more complicated things will be introduced. if you're that OC to want to start studying now, you could read the stages and theories (erikson's, freud's and piaget's) of development til the part on emotions, learning, and defense mechanism. that's the scope of psych1. the tables are important to learn since there are so many matching type questions in the exams.

don't worry, all lessons, exams, quizzes, discussions, and other activities are already scheduled for all subjects. all are planned so you are given the privilege to prepare for them. no such thing as surprised test. they will give you the syllabus and schedule at the start of the subject class. also, look for samplex (examinations of the past years). it's a very big help but don't depend too much on it.

hehe, i'm already pre-empting the orientation. anyway, your classmates for one subject will be your classmate for all of your subject. you'll never be mixed up with the other sections (except during exams) and there's no class cards.

with your schedule, i guess you're section B. if that's the case you (sections A and B) only have psychiatry and clinical epi (that's a new subject, last year epidemiology was part of prevmed) as semestral subjects. you'll have medical ethics (that's why there's no sked indicated) and preventive medicine next semester. sections C and D will have ethics and prevmed for the first sem and psych and epi during the second sem.

Thanks. How about histology- what do you suggest i practice on/ read on?

Thanks. How about histology- what do you suggest i practice on/ read on?

among the major subjects, histology is the easiest. it would be more difficult to fail it, hehe. but if you don't have this in your pre-med, it would be a little bit hard during the first shifting. but once you grasp the basic, it would be just a walk at the park.

for your drawing (since you'll be in arts class with this subject, hehe, you have a manual in which you'll be drawing the cells and tissues.) difiore's is a good reference. the department also sells histology book/manual of the specimen slides, which is very helpful during practical exams (<--practical exam is a 30 item test which comprises 25% of your shifting grade, better prepare for this one).

for the theories, just listen to the lectures, it's sufficient to give you a passing grade. every meeting is a quiz day. a ten-item quiz always follow every lecture. cabral's histology book will help but it's too lengthy. last year, some classmates have this histology powerpoint slides, and it was the same scope as the lecture. so relying on that was enough to get us ready for the lectures and quizzes.

if i were you, i would focus more on physiology and biochemistry. a number of our batchmates failed here, and more than fifty took the remedial exams. although the physio and biochem departments are the two most organized and the facilitators are great, the subject itself is very difficult maybe because of the large scope of lesson to study. they fall on the same day, so be thankful that the departments are considerate enough not to give quizzes on same day. believe me, you'll enjoy these subjects amidst the difficulty.:D

Hey guys,

Just wanted to wish all those starting med at U.S.T. good luck.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them...although I did go through U.S.T. Med the P.B.L. way!

ustmd2006 :D