The oncology institute of Hope and Innovation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onconc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any info on compensation for tenured Hem-Onc doctors here ? Total compensation and it's breakup (base, bonus)
Their job postings in doccafe indicate somewhere between 450 and 700. Is that accurate ? But then there is some other bonuses and equity ??

PS. It is not for me. It is for someone looking to relocate to california from out of state

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s a practice in my town, i have comanaged/assumed inpatients from them. they seem in over their heads.

TOI is a publicly traded company. Just look up their stock price. Its not looking good.

TOI is a publicly traded company. Just look up their stock price. Its not looking good.

Thanks yes I am aware. But there is no relation between corporate stock price and how much a physician in one of their hospitals get paid. I speak from my own company's stock price. It is similar to TOI's stock price (adjusted for size of company); but I get paid good.

Thanks yes I am aware. But question was specifically around compensation.

My response was about your long term future there. I work across the street from them. Their turnover is really high. Will you get paid? I am sure you will. Theres more to a job than its pay.

Please Avoid.

I don't want corporate ninjas to go after me so I'll mention only a few things:
  1. One question you should always ask yourself in life -> if something seems good to be true, what's the catch? If their compensation is way higher (at face value) compared to nearby rates, why do they even have openings? Shouldn't they be packed to the brim with oncologists?
  2. Their business model is to maximize profit by cutting costs. I'll let you imagine what that means in oncology.
  3. They are infamous in the local oncology community. Hence they can't hire locally.
    1. Their model is to lure new grads out of state who have no idea, churn and burn them out, rinse and repeat

Reactions: 1 user
Please Avoid.

I don't want corporate ninjas to go after me so I'll mention only a few things:
  1. One question you should always ask yourself in life -> if something seems good to be true, what's the catch? If their compensation is way higher (at face value) compared to nearby rates, why do they even have openings? Shouldn't they be packed to the brim with oncologists?
  2. Their business model is to maximize profit by cutting costs. I'll let you imagine what that means in oncology.
  3. They are infamous in the local oncology community. Hence they can't hire locally.
    1. Their model is to lure new grads out of state who have no idea, churn and burn them out, rinse and repeat
Totally agree with all above. Have worked in their territory for several years. If you you want to follow SOC or NCCN Guidelines in treating patients, this is NOT the place work. I have known ZERO graduating fellows from California programs who have joined any of their local practices. They usually hire new graduating fellows from out of state who are desperate to get back into California. If it tells you anything-they were investigated by the DOJ back in early 2010's. They are constantly looking to hire since the turnover rates for their oncologists are so high. I would only work their as a last resort.

Reactions: 1 users
Do all of us a favor and never join a private equity run practice.
It's never about patients or doctors in such places.
Always profits over people.
It's a shame that government and CMS has allowed this to happen.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry.
While I am appreciative of all the answers, I am disappointed that not a single person who has taken the time to reply here has actually posted the answer to the specific question I asked; which is that what is the actual oncologist compensation at this hospital.

Sorry.
While I am appreciative of all the answers, I am disappointed that not a single person who has taken the time to reply here has actually posted the answer to the specific question I asked; which is that what is the actual oncologist compensation at this hospital.
Six McNuggets and a switchblade.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Sorry.
I mean, you could just ask them. Since nobody here works there, it's going to be impossible for us to answer that question.

For me (and I'm not you, so this is probably irrelevant to you), there's no way they'd pay enough for me to want to work there given some of the things that have been brought up about them (and PE owned medical practices in general). I'd consider a 7 figure salary with a 3 day workweek and no call for a job like that, but only consider.

Last edited:
I am a slow runner. I usually take about 40 minutes for a 5k. I am working on improving the metrics.

Sorry.
FYI this is not a hospital. It is a publicly traded company listed on Nasdaq symbol TOI . When I applied in the SoCal area several years ago, compensation was 380 for 5 days a week, 30 patients per day. Now compensation is around 500-600 since they can't find any oncologists willing to work for them and turnover is so high. GL!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
FYI this is not a hospital. It is a publicly traded company listed on Nasdaq symbol TOI . When I applied in the SoCal area several years ago, compensation was 380 for 5 days a week, 30 patients per day. Now compensation is around 500-600 since they can't find any oncologists willing to work for them and turnover is so high. GL!

Thank you so much !!
Appreciate you providing actual numbers !!

PS. I was asking this for a friend who is looking to relocate to california from out of state.

Now compensation is around 500-600 since they can't find any oncologists willing to work for them and turnover is so high. GL!
Also, just to add in case any younglings see this and think "wow what big numbers", for 30 patients per day 5 days a week, 500-600k is a low ball, even in southern California. For that kind of patient volume the center is easily scalping at least 50% for themselves (probably more like 70%).

Reactions: 4 users
They have salaries on their job listings on their website. Select "physicians" for the department. Range seems to be 250k-500k. NPs around 170k

Not entirely clear what hope or innovation this institute brings to they table.

Also, just to add in case any younglings see this and think "wow what big numbers", for 30 patients per day 5 days a week, 500-600k is a low ball, even in southern California. For that kind of patient volume the center is easily scalping at least 50% for themselves (probably more like 70%).
My current (hospital employed) comp plan would pay me $1.2M for that workload.

They have salaries on their job listings on their website. Select "physicians" for the department. Range seems to be 250k-500k. NPs around 170k

Thank you. I didn't see that before. Appreciate it.

rural though right? important to add that qualifier
A good number of non-rural jobs (that don't take advantage of you) should pay similarly to what gutonc is describing, based on what I've seen on the trail so far

Private equity involvement in health care is not legally punishable by the death penalty, which is perhaps one of the nicest things I can say about PE firms involving themselves in medicine