The Overqualified Effect: Should I just lie on my job application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsJunkie25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking a full load of classes this year and I can't find a day job to save my life! And, I know it has to do with being so-called "Overqualified"! :mad: Anyway, should I just leave off my bachelor degree? Most of the jobs I'm applying for only require a G.E.D. (i.e. medical asst, medical receptionist, tech jobs, etc.)...

My fellow science majors, as you and I both know, a B.S. in Biology will get you nowhere; unfortunately. So, this is why I'm applying for these jobs. If I don't apply for these jobs, currently, I'm not really qualified to do anything else b/c all of the other healthcare jobs require certification.

So, my question to you is:
1. Should I just "omit the truth" on my application and only put down my healthcare experience (which happens to be 5yrs and relevant to the job). I feel like stating my college degree puts me at a disadvantage and they put me in the "overqualified" category. Hence, I never get a call. I used to feel bad if I didn't present the real me, but, at this point, I don't think I care anymore. I just need a job. :xf:

2. Um...I don't know. Do you have any other job suggestions? I feel like I've tried everything and I can't get a healthcare job to save my life. My next step would be working at Target (or something similar like Costco, Macy's, etc) but they won't hire me either. I've tried. :laugh: Sad.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be taking a full load of classes this year and I can't find a day job to save my life! And, I know it has to do with being so-called "Overqualified"! :mad: Anyway, should I just leave off my bachelor degree? Most of the jobs I'm applying for only require a G.E.D. (i.e. medical asst, medical receptionist, tech jobs, etc.)...

My fellow science majors, as you and I both know, a B.S. in Biology will get you nowhere; unfortunately. So, this is why I'm applying for these jobs. If I don't apply for these jobs, currently, I'm not really qualified to do anything else b/c all of the other healthcare jobs require certification.

1. Should I just "omit the truth" on my application and only put down my healthcare experience (which happens to be 5yrs and relevant to the job). I feel like stating my college degree puts me at a disadvantage and they put me in the "overqualified" category. Hence, I never get a call. I used to feel bad if I didn't present the real me, but, at this point, I don't think I care anymore. I just need a job. :xf:

2. Um...I don't know. Do you have any other job suggestions? I feel like I've tried everything and I can't get a healthcare job to save my life. My next step would be working at Target (or something similar like Costco, Macy's, etc) but they won't hire me either. I've tried. :laugh: Sad.

This is a common situation. More so now in the waning days of the American middle class. Darkness now reaches the shire. Sending hobbits with degrees in Philosophy and Science searching for cover.

So then who, one might well ask, has proven more prepared. More sensible. As much as I've hated to admit it. But in my case my colleagues. Who went straight out of barely passing high school to some little health trade school into a good union job. Have been the superior planners. The more well adapted bottom feeders. They are more "qualified" to plug into the lower class of drones at an earlier, more convenient age.

And you my friend are less qualified. Not because of your degree. But in spite of it.

America's a b!tch huh. We get eaten with the rest of them. All the stories were b@ll****. End joke.

I'm in the same boat. I know some people who lie about their education...that is something I personally refuse to do. I started looking at some local universities, and I see a glimmer of hope (once you filter through all the work-study jobs)...do you have any schools near you? Have you thought about substitute teaching? Random, I know, but a lot of my friends have done it (at least in Jersey, you only need ~ 60 credits under your belt) and it pays ~$85-$100/day, depending on the school district.

The economy is making things rough. Just keep looking!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I know some people who lie about their education...that is something I personally refuse to do. I started looking at some local universities, and I see a glimmer of hope (once you filter through all the work-study jobs)...do you have any schools near you? Have you thought about substitute teaching? Random, I know, but a lot of my friends have done it (at least in Jersey, you only need ~ 60 credits under your belt) and it pays ~$85-$100/day, depending on the school district.

The economy is making things rough. Just keep looking!

Yes, I have a university close to me but they're pretty much only hiring for professors; I've looked at their jobs.

I've signed up for sub teaching. I definitely don't want to do it, and was hoping I could find something else, but the pickings are slim so I guess I don't have a choice. Ugh. :mad:

Yes, I have a university close to me but they're pretty much only hiring for professors; I've looked at their jobs.

I've signed up for sub teaching. I definitely don't want to do it, and was hoping I could find something else, but the pickings are slim so I guess I don't have a choice. Ugh. :mad:

maybe just.. suck it up and take another course?
CNA? every hospital i looked is hiring CNA..
i know taking a vocational class is difficult to schedule into your already hyper busy life. buttt uhmm.. that's why i given up trying to find a job or working altogether.

ooo.. patient transporter?

couple of things from someone who has served on a academic/research hiring committee for several years...

1. when looking at your application, ask yourself "would i hire me?"... seriously... it sounds lame, but consider what the employer needs... they need someone who can do the job and not leave when something better comes along 3 weeks after training... with your education, you may even have a hard time finding a job at costco for that same reason... why train someone who has no reliable incentive to stay... it is good to apply to jobs that match your qualifications exactly...

2. relevant job experience is such a meaningless buzzword... you'd be surprised how irrelevant "relevant job experience" can be... if you are interested in a specific position, CALL THEM!!!! dont guess at what they want to see in your application... simply ask... run through your resume with them before you submit it and see what they find to be a strength or a weakness...

3. committees can smell form letters from a mile away... and they smell very offensive... your resume and cover letter must be perfect!!! they must not have a single error and they must be written to the specific job... your application package should not be able to be reused!!!! and keep in mind these numbers... your average employer will spend less than 3 seconds looking at a resume and cover letter... MAKE THOSE SECONDS COUNT!!! the more fluff you insert, the more you dilute...

4. when all else fails... look into temp agencies such as Kelly Scientific, ManPower, and Aerotek... they can get your foot in the door... also, state government jobs can be hit or miss depending on your backround... worth a look...

5. dont play a numbers game... considering the mental attention your job search requires, your mind cannot juggle any more than 4 applications at one time... do not try to send out 100 applications and hope to land just one... instead of 100 flawed applications, send 4 perfect applications every week...

6. if you are aplying to hospitals and you have never set foot in their door previously, it is a wasted application for the most part... hospitals typically only hire internally... if you see a lot of jobs at a hospital that suit you, volunteer there... if only for a month... and drop hints to your volunteer coordinator that you are interested in those jobs... typicaly, they will land you at least an interview...

good luck!!!

As a biology major, I thought the same post-graduation. I later realized my problem was that I was not exploring a broad range of options. My first professional gig was "R&D Technician ... at a cement company"!! I analyzed grouts for their color .. spectrophotometry.. Although this is as far removed from biology as a job might get, it was a stepping stone to a Pharmaceutical Co, which in all honesty, is much more chemistry than biology (except maybe for biologics etc..).Later on, I also found many positions in a research university requiring only BS Biology.

The whole point there's a lot you can do with a Bio degree. Granted, one is more employable with BSN etc.. BUT don't fall for the self-fulfilling prophecy of "Oh I can't do anything with this degree, therefore you don't look for anything with that degree!"