The Pass Program, good or bad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guadsquad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what are people's thoughts on the Pass Program by Dr. Francis Ihejirika...is anyone familiar with this program???

Members don't see this ad.

I used this program to study. In addition, I also broke the DVD into MP3 audio segments which were transferred onto my IPOD. Since I had between 30 min to 1 hour drives to my rotations (one way), I used this time to go over the material.

Beyond this, I read over the First Aid USMLE 2007, followed by online Qbank (in the last 2 weeks prior to the exam). Since "grocery list" reviews put me to sleep, anything I did not know "cold" I looked up in different texts (ie. Berne & Levy Physiology) or Wikipedia (pretty basic - but useful). I also used Boards and Wards Pathophysiology (very helpful).

However, the majority of study was invested in the Pass Comlex MP3's.

I went to the Pass Program about a year and a half ago. As far as the teaching is concerned, Dr. Francis was really good at logically thinking through the "physiology" of the problems Step 1 poses. He focuses on physiology mostly and then touches on the other subjects very briefly. He doesn't cover any pathology, which I thought was strange.

The classes are arranged so that in the morning, around 6-7am, you will individually meet with a preceptor to go over questions on the computer (Qbank-Rapid Review questions). That was only helpful if you were scheduled with Dr. Francis. He is amazing at logically thinking through things. Unfortunatley, the others that help with that dont really give a S**T. For the most part, they were unmatched seniors who took a year off to earn some money. In all fairness however, there were some who were good but not at all helpfull like being with Dr. Francis.

The only reason I went was because he had a great track record of helping people pass Step 1 and my school paid for it, something like $2500. As it turns out, I did a practice NBME exam when I came back from the Pass Program and got the same exact score that I got before entering the program. Meaning.......I would have failed :eek:

What helped me the most was Goljan audio supplemented with doing as many questions you can get your hands on. I did all 4 NBME exams, Qbank, All PreTest books and really made sure I worked on my reasoning of the questions. As it turned out, I went up 32 points by doing that.

So over all, the Pass Program is good if you can learn that way, I couldn't. It is very expensive and there is only one Dr. Francis and everybody wants to be assigned with him. He is a salesman selling his product and everybody buys it. At the end of the day you have to do what you think is best for you.

Good luck.

hii.. well I think he is the professor who changed my life . gave me courrage y showed me medicine in a whole new way.I ued to sit in the last benches afraid of professors.. and now when I am in my 5th year . I am the one that responds all the qs during the class now. but you cant take his lectures as your only source. do goljan and kaplon stuff too.Goljan is the best for patho He teaches with great insight too..but first listen to Dr francis to have basic concepts that we med students lack cuz not told to us in med schools....

Last edited: