The People vs AAMC - Lawsuit Pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whibbitts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took the January MCAT, received the faulty passage and are not satisfied with the AAMC's resolutions please email the below law firm detailing; what happened on test day, your reaction to the faulty passage (did you waste time trying to make sense of the illogical?, did you leave the test room to talk to the proctor while your test time was ticking?) how you think the faulty passage may have effected your test/ score etc. If you have questions about the legal process and participating in it, present your question to the firm, they are very easy to talk to.

For any of you naysayers out there, save your antagonist remarks for another thread, you'll be wasting your time try to discourage me. If you look at the thread "Questions/passage didn't match!!" you'll see that many before you have already attempted to convince me that; I'm wasting my time, there no legal case here etc. Obviously there is a legal case as several law firms have decided to collaborate in taking this on, law firms that just won an $11 million settlement in a standardized test case (http://www.fairtest.org/empltoc.htm).

To be clear, I have communicated to the law firms that my intention here is not monetary and that I what I seek is a timely resolution not a protracted law suit.

If you have no idea what this about go to the "Questions/passage didn't match!!" thread and bore yourself for hours with the ridiculous details. The bottom line is this; you can't give an unfair advantage to one group that got the faulty passage, by forewarning them, and score them equally against another portion of the population that got the faulty passage but was not forewarned, and call it a "standarized test". From the beginning I knew that it was unfair and illegal - having legal representation only validates my initial thought.

*personal contact info deleted by DrMom*
Contact poster by PM if you want more information

Members don't see this ad.

We live in 'merica. Saying something like this case is ridiculous in the courts makes YOU sound ridiculous, lol. A lot of stupid crap actually goes to court and a ruling is made. Can you believe that if a father finds out "his" child isn't actually his because his wife cheated on him, he still has to pay child support if they divorce? That's what the court says. Pretty screwed up.

Or that caes in Georgia where that kid was put in jail for 10 years because he got a fellatio from a girl 2 years younger than he (he was 17, she was 15). Of course if they had anal or vaginal, he would've gotten much less than 10 years. For some reason, a fellatio just throws those judges into crazy mode.

Well that's kinda my point. I don't agree with the way this country lets people sue for anything and think that's one of the things wrong with this country is that they allow the stupidest things to go to court and don't have limitations on what people can and can't rightfully sue for.

Just because a person can do something doesn't mean they should. Furthermore, just because a person sues you doesn't mean that it isn't stupid and ridiculous. It just means there are people out there are a lot of people out there who need to get over themselves and start realizing there are worse things out there in the world. This is one of those cases that doesn't truly have any real bearing or grounds.

The silver lining to this whole sordid incident is that the op's name will be revealed, as a plaintiff, to hundreds of adcoms all across the country.

At a time when the AMA is trying to rein in medical malpractice litigation before it destroys the profession, here comes a group of applicants who want to sue over not a medical mistake but a clerical one. Undoubtedly someone will email the list of plaintiffs to every medical school; nothing wrong with that--it's public information. If you (op) believe what you're doing is right, you have nothing to worry about.

The final point that needs to be made is that these kids who are suing are mere pawns. It's the law firms that will make most of the money from any settlement. It's why they do what they do. The plaintiffs are merely a vehicle for the lawyers to "get" someone. This has nothing to do with justice or balance or fair play or even punishment. It has everything to do with money.

My advice to you, op, and others who are in this situation, is to suck it up, retake the MCAT if necessary, and make the most of your situation. AAMC has offered you a fair deal; what more can you ask from them? When (if) you get into medical school, and then rotations, and then residency, you will be constantly stepped on by your seniors. That's the ugly system that is American medical training. The MCAT mistake is going to be nothing but a little blip compared to the grueling experiences you will have later on. If you can't handle this situation with grace, I question your ability to survive later on.

Anyone posting on this board, including yourself, is a mere pawn in this grand corporate scheme called medicine. Know your role and accept it dude.

I'm glad someone is bringing up a lawsuit. Offering a full refund and ability to retest is not enough. I took the August MCAT, which was the longer version, but I spent many months studying for it. I had a schedule of what to study and when along with practice tests (very important) right up to the point of the exam where I would be fresh. I had myself in a "zone" so to speak where I had studied the right amount of material with proper time management so it would align with the test date I had signed up for for many months.

Offering a refund and retest will throw off this "internal clock" so to speak. Some people I know even took vacation time off of work (can't get it again for a while) to study and get ready. Yes, they won't have to learn the material from scratch, but it screws up with people's study habits enough to affect the new results imo. And as I mentioned before--practice tests. Many students used them all up for the first examination and now it would be useless for a retest at a later date.

I hope this lawsuit doesn't get dropped. The AAMC has too much control over hopeful pre-meds that want to become doctors. They don't have a choice and must take the MCAT and must go through the AAMC's application process even though it can be a large hassle at times. A little off topic, but people should have choices such as SAT vs. ACT for college entrance instead of being forced to go through the AAMC.

GO GATORS!!!!

I have a friend who is applying to medical school (got in the low 30s) and said he would not be surprised if one day it was revealed that AAMC randomly assigned MCAT scores based on gender, geographic location, race/ethnicity, age, and undergraduate institution. *shrugs* I hope these bugs get worked out before I retake in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
GO GATORS!!!!

I have a friend who is applying to medical school (got in the low 30s) and said he would not be surprised if one day it was revealed that AAMC randomly assigned MCAT scores based on gender, geographic location, race/ethnicity, age, and undergraduate institution. *shrugs* I hope these bugs get worked out before I retake in June.

Anyone could come up with a number of conspiracy theories on various matters. Its all just a bunch of BS. Just accept what you have to do and move along. Everyone on here needs to get over themselves. There are much worse faiths then having to retake the MCAT. Give me a break!!

Anyone posting on this board, including yourself, is a mere pawn in this grand corporate scheme called medicine. Know your role and accept it dude.

The difference is we know our place, does the OP realize that the lawyers will say anything to make an extra buck?

Williams,

I just read your initial post and disagree with a lot of the points you make. Yes, we have to study hard but the AAMC isn't the one telling us to study for 4 months for the test. That is done because a lot of people don't take the time to learn the material properly in undergrad in a way in which they retain the material (myself included). In theory, a person could do well with just 3 weeks of studying. I've known several people who studied literally 3 weeks or less and did well. Why??? Because they knew their material well when it really counted in undergrad. Because they took initiative to learn the material in a more conceptual way rather then knowing what they needed to know for the tests in their classes. I know with me, my problem has always been that come test day I get anxious. But should I be suing the AAMC for it?? Every country has its set of admissions tests. In my home land, the admissions tests and admissions processes are worse then here. Hell, even in Australia or Canada, people would be laughing at us right now because they don't even take into consideration other things and only take into account scores mostly. Furthermore, they don't have such laws that just let people superflously slap lawsuits such as this one.

So again, I argue that we US citizens don't have it as bad as you and the OP tend to make it sound.

If you wan't to blacklist yourself go ahead with the lawsuit. Remember the AAMC is comprised of the schools you wanna attend someday. Don't know if it will hurt much, but I wouldn't take a chance.

True. This suit is BS. OP, your a baby. This can only be about money or the thrill of hurting the "big-bad" AAMC a little. Either way you will gain nothing nor will society. Can a court ruling make avoiding mistakes more likely? Please. Take your over reacting garbage elsewhere.

Anyone could come up with a number of conspiracy theories on various matters. Its all just a bunch of BS. Just accept what you have to do and move along. Everyone on here needs to get over themselves. There are much worse faiths then having to retake the MCAT. Give me a break!!
If you can go back and point to where I complained, bitched, or moaned about having to retake the MCAT your statement about having to accept what I need to do and get over it might be valid. And if shrugging and stating that I hope the bugs are worked out by my June retake classifies as that, then oh well. And I'll say it again: I hope the errors that happened during the initial January exam are worked out. It's easy for people who didn't have to endure the confusion and stress over mismatched passages and questions to say "get over it" and "it's just a test" because I'm pretty sure if the shoes were on the other foot, those same people would complain about it. Myself included.

True. This suit is BS. OP, your a baby. This can only be about money or the thrill of hurting the "big-bad" AAMC a little. Either way you will gain nothing nor will society. Can a court ruling make avoiding mistakes more likely? Please. Take your over reacting garbage elsewhere.

A lot of UF people are on this board!:thumbup: c/o 2003 and 2006!

Williams,

I just read your initial post and disagree with a lot of the points you make. Yes, we have to study hard but the AAMC isn't the one telling us to study for 4 months for the test. That is done because a lot of people don't take the time to learn the material properly in undergrad in a way in which they retain the material (myself included). In theory, a person could do well with just 3 weeks of studying. I've known several people who studied literally 3 weeks or less and did well. Why??? Because they knew their material well when it really counted in undergrad. Because they took initiative to learn the material in a more conceptual way rather then knowing what they needed to know for the tests in their classes. I know with me, my problem has always been that come test day I get anxious. But should I be suing the AAMC for it?? Every country has its set of admissions tests. In my home land, the admissions tests and admissions processes are worse then here. Hell, even in Australia or Canada, people would be laughing at us right now because they don't even take into consideration other things and only take into account scores mostly. Furthermore, they don't have such laws that just let people superflously slap lawsuits such as this one.

So again, I argue that we US citizens don't have it as bad as you and the OP tend to make it sound.

Again, I never said the AAMC forces people to study. The courts can use specific persons who were affected by this passage placement and they will say how much they studied. That in and of itself will void any argument you provide about your friends that studied for 3 weeks. FWIW, the courts also look at things where they "reasonably assume" in specific situations (such as the AAMC website suggesting 3+ months). Basically--the norm. But again, I never said to pay for lost wages since they studied. Never said that and I do not support that. I used the study length argument as the investment a person made and how that would have to be repeated to an extent with a retake. I'm just using it as an example as to why the AAMC should be lenient with what they give back to those affected.

As far as "mere pawns." Get over that ****. If you look at yourself like that, then figure out the court system was partially made so that one person could stand up for themself to get a fair ruling. I don't care if you would take your lumps and let the AAMC keep telling you what it wants, let the people who were affected have their chance. And btw, you don't have to use the AAMC to get into some US MD schools (7 year program, no mcat) or for applications (Texas). Then of course you have DO. I'm sure Guju can explain this to anyone who wants to know in further detail.

Again, let me make this clear. I'm not up for the AAMC getting sued for millions and millions of dollars. I'd just rather they provide refunds if the test taker asks, provide a free MCAT future exam at a date that reasonably works with that test taker. I don't care if they have to turn on the ****ing computers on a Tuesday instead of Saturday or pay $20 an hour for an idiot to proctor an exam. This isn't like a free airline flight where profit margins are little to none. We're talking about an ELECTRONIC test on CBT sites that already operate on a regular basis. Get over yourself if you think it actually costs $210 per exam, damn. Throw out the voiding portion I asked for before. Just provide a refund and free test, that's it. I would prefer it to be settled out of court as well to keep lawyers from wasting time on this.

Like I said before, just because you or I can retake the MCAT as we please since we have the free time, don't assume it for the others. You need to look at it from another perspective. Some people have work and families where they already figured out a situation to study for the exam that was faulty. Let them take it again (if they want) for free at a test date that works for them to set up studying arrangements. The problem is that the AAMC is making the other party lenient when they're not just as lenient.

P.S. GO GATORS!!! Kuck Fentucky! Damn refs nearly handed them the game! :mad:

I respectfully disagree about the refund AND a free test. And I guarantee that's not going to happen.

Well, I don't see how it's too much to ask for. If a test taker gets a refund that voided the exam because of it, the AAMC is basically trying to say "it never happened" yet the taker still has to study and retake it at a later date even though they already studied for it (so "it did happen"). Giving a free test (that doesn't cost that much to provide) would basically make it a push for the inconvenience the AAMC made for the students.

Of course the above is mainly for those who voided because of the VR passage mistake, but also those who didn't void and were ruffled throughout the rest of the exam (it does change your attitude during the exam like my personal experience with the MCAT). Those who didn't void and are happy with their score don't need the free MCAT so it doesn't matter. It's a small pool of those who would retake. What is it, 500 affected? I'd say maybe 300 max would retake. Not much of a hassle at all for the AAMC to provide it. I don't see how anyone could be against it unless there's a logical argument I can't see.

If you can go back and point to where I complained, bitched, or moaned about having to retake the MCAT your statement about having to accept what I need to do and get over it might be valid. And if shrugging and stating that I hope the bugs are worked out by my June retake classifies as that, then oh well. And I'll say it again: I hope the errors that happened during the initial January exam are worked out. It's easy for people who didn't have to endure the confusion and stress over mismatched passages and questions to say "get over it" and "it's just a test" because I'm pretty sure if the shoes were on the other foot, those same people would complain about it. Myself included.

I'm sure they will be worked out but I didn't say people don't have a right to be upset. I just think a lawsuit is pushing it to far and obviously it wasn't one person so the scaling will balance itself out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I respectfully disagree about the refund AND a free test. And I guarantee that's not going to happen.

i agree with meg.
It is all bad and unfair and whatnot but it is not as easy to win this kind of cases as you think. AAMC is not a McDonallds'...it is an organization that has monopoly for med schools in this country.
It will be hard to sue them and win. And besides is 210 bucks and retake possibility at his conveniance, worth OPs loss of time with his business and family?:rolleyes:
I am not rich, don't get me wrong. I have been strugling myslef since i am an immigrant who is in USA by myself and had to work my butt of to support myself througout the college...but i would never bother like this, waste my time all day for calling law firms, writing stuff out on anonymous forums and wining about my bad fortune for 210 buck refund.
I am sorry but this makes no sence. Unless op wants to get milions from this (which i doubt is going to happen) he is wasting his time.
And saying that this is so things like this won't happen in the future is BS.
PPl make mistakes, suck it up and get over it. You choose to be a doctor, to take MCAT and to leave your work to study for it. No court in this country will rule in your favour in this case. What kind of demage you suffered?
Loss of time and inconvieniance...:laugh: if ppl could sue for that everyone would be a milionare.

i trully am sorry for all those ppl that got that faulty passage and i wish you all the best.:luck:

Well, I don't see how it's too much to ask for. If a test taker gets a refund that voided the exam because of it, the AAMC is basically trying to say "it never happened" yet the taker still has to study and retake it at a later date even though they already studied for it (so "it did happen"). Giving a free test (that doesn't cost that much to provide) would basically make it a push for the inconvenience the AAMC made for the students.

Of course the above is mainly for those who voided because of the VR passage mistake, but also those who didn't void and were ruffled throughout the rest of the exam (it does change your attitude during the exam like my personal experience with the MCAT). Those who didn't void and are happy with their score don't need the free MCAT so it doesn't matter. It's a small pool of those who would retake. What is it, 500 affected? I'd say maybe 300 max would retake. Not much of a hassle at all for the AAMC to provide it. I don't see how anyone could be against it unless there's a logical argument I can't see.

they have a choice to void now even if they didn't void or to unvoid if they did:
""The AAMC sincerely regrets that some examinees experienced an error in the test publishing process while taking the MCAT last Saturday. Fortunately, however, the AAMC will be able to provide valid scores to these examinees, based on their performance on other items in the test. If any examinee believes that his or her performance was substantially affected by this error, the AAMC will allow the examinee to "void" their test and receive a full refund. A letter, conveying this information, will be sent to the affected examinees over the next several days.

source-----> http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2007/070130.htm
besides they also offered a refund. I think it is very resonable accomodation on the AAMC side.
for this reason i don't even think any court will even bother with hearing of this case.

But if ppl like to waste their energy the can do as they please.

Because the bottom line is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You either get the refund or a new test date, but not both. I refer back to my post where I explain how the law is in place to make people "whole" in situations like this. One is "whole" when they either get their money back or complete the test. AAMC is offering both choices.

If the AAMC were to give in and offer a refund and a free test, a slippery slope would ensue. Soon enough people will come out of the woodwork complaining about other issues with the MCAT and a huge mess would be at hand.

The AAMC has specific guidelines in the registration info, and they clearly have a document entitled "MCAT ESSENTIALS" as a must-read for registrants. They SPECIFICALLY outline steps to action in the very event something like this would happen.

Because of this, there is NO logical argument for the AAMC to give a free MCAT. You are basing your opinions on emotion, not logic.

Because the bottom line is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You either get the refund or a new test date, but not both. I refer back to my post where I explain how the law is in place to make people "whole" in situations like this. One is "whole" when they either get their money back or complete the test. AAMC is offering both choices.

If the AAMC were to give in and offer a refund and a free test, a slippery slope would ensue. Soon enough people will come out of the woodwork complaining about other issues with the MCAT and a huge mess would be at hand.

The AAMC has specific guidelines in the registration info, and they clearly have a document entitled "MCAT ESSENTIALS" as a must-read for registrants. They SPECIFICALLY outline steps to action in the very event something like this would happen.

Because of this, there is NO logical argument for the AAMC to give a free MCAT. You are basing your opinions on emotion, not logic.

Well, I never brought up the court of law in this and like I said before, I rather it not go to court. Like I said in the top of my post you quoted:

The AAMC provides a refund and a spot in the later test date means they're basically saying "it never happened." When in fact the mistake did happen and the test taker will have to make some sort of changes to accomodate that new test date.

This is NOT having your cake and eating it too. The student would not be benefiting off of a voided, refunded exam when they have to retake it. How does it make a zero net change for the student other than monetary costs for the exam? Just because the test takers wallet has a zero net change doesn't mean everything else is, too. How can you say that the student will not be affected by having to take the second MCAT at the later date as well as study again (to some extent)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've taken the MCAT yet. I'm sure your feelings would change if you took the MCAT and see what kind of energy you put into studying, planning, and test taking.

Like I said before, even providing a refund with a later test date, it's STILL an inconvenience to the test taker since they have to study and plan again for the future test date. This doesn't set precedence with "complaining about other issues with the MCAT." This has nothing to do with that. This is something in its own right regarding the wrong questions with the wrong passages. That's clear cut. I'm still not seeing how anyone can be against providing a refund and free future examination. I'm sure your feelings would change once you start putting more study time into your MCAT in April along with the planning that comes with it.

Well, I never brought up the court of law in this and like I said before, I rather it not go to court. Like I said in the top of my post you quoted:

The AAMC provides a refund and a spot in the later test date means they're basically saying "it never happened." When in fact the mistake did happen and the test taker will have to make some sort of changes to accomodate that new test date.

This is NOT having your cake and eating it too. The student would not be benefiting off of a voided, refunded exam when they have to retake it. How does it make a zero net change for the student other than monetary costs for the exam? Just because the test takers wallet has a zero net change doesn't mean everything else is, too. How can you say that the student will not be affected by having to take the second MCAT at the later date as well as study again (to some extent)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've taken the MCAT yet. I'm sure your feelings would change if you took the MCAT and see what kind of energy you put into studying, planning, and test taking.

Like I said before, even providing a refund with a later test date, it's STILL an inconvenience to the test taker since they have to study and plan again for the future test date. This doesn't set precedence with "complaining about other issues with the MCAT." This has nothing to do with that. This is something in its own right regarding the wrong questions with the wrong passages. That's clear cut. I'm still not seeing how anyone can be against providing a refund and free future examination. I'm sure your feelings would change once you start putting more study time into your MCAT in April along with the planning that comes with it.

But WilliamsF1, didn't you know that some people actually like studying? AAMC's screw up will actually make them happy! This is because they can spend many more months studying a second time for an excruciatingly fun exam. They can spend time on studying for the mcat for a second time that would have otherwise be squandered on useless endeavors like earning a living, sleeping, studying for other classes, and possibly [grasp] having a life. I mean one time of preparation, anxiety, anticipation, fear, self-doubt, and so on is not enough. Two times make it much much better. This is why I feel as oppose to AAMC having to refund the cost of this january test, so they can charge again for the later date, AAMC should in fact make people pay them money for both tests. Obviously, since they are offering people such an awesome opportunity to cozy up with MCAT prep material.

I just hope that in future tests, I would get to have the same awesome experience of being forced to take the tests at a later date not of my initial awareness and choice. The concept of choice and scheduling one's life is so overrated. I like it a lot when outside factors get to dictate my life.

Actually I forgot about another awesome part of this entire pleasurable experience. Quoting the article from this site http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001914 "Prometric then contacted the AAMC, which in turn initiated e-mail contact that quickly reached all 341 testing sites, where students learned they could ignore the questions about warblers and passages about robotic fish. Some students may have tried to complete that portion before notice reached their testing sites, but they will not be graded differently, Jones said." This means that a test that is suppose to standardize, does not really standardize. Since some students were not forewarned, while others were, and both will be graded the same! Man, those lucky ones who were not forewarned, they get to receive a lower score! I love unstandardized standard tests. They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Interesting idea to pursue a lawsuit. I wish those who are pursuing that route the best of luck. :luck:

Something else to consider which I do not think that AAMC can remedy is that if you had the test with the screwy passage, it would have messed up your flow.

Sure we have all either taken a prep/review course or used MCAT review books that advise us to forget about previous sections of the test while in another section of the test, but that never really happens. So now you have a whole passage that did not make any sense to you and it causes you to lose focus on the WS and/or BS sections. How does the AAMC take that into account in "standardizing" results?:confused:

It is not really possible. A person in that typeof situation as those affected test takers would have spent unnecessary time scrutinizing other passages in the test to consider if s/he was reading the questions/passages correctly for the remainder of the exam.

This would be a TOTAL disaster.

Sure nothing may come of the lawsuit, but it is IMPORTANT for the afflicted to have their voices heard and to make a TON of noise about the matter. It should make the remaining test dates/situations that much smoother, given that the first run did not go as wel las the test maker had hoped.

Actually I forgot about another awesome part of this entire pleasurable experience. Quoting the article from this site http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001914 "Prometric then contacted the AAMC, which in turn initiated e-mail contact that quickly reached all 341 testing sites, where students learned they could ignore the questions about warblers and passages about robotic fish. Some students may have tried to complete that portion before notice reached their testing sites, but they will not be graded differently, Jones said." This means that a test that is suppose to standardize, does not really standardize. Since some students were not forewarned, while others were, and both will be graded the same! Man, those lucky ones who were not forewarned, they get to receive a lower score!

This is what I've been saying all along. Can one of you pollyannaish nay sayers please stop digressing and explain how the above statement from the AAMC creates a fair and equitable testing condition? Is it standardized testing or not?

The silver lining to this whole sordid incident is that the op's name will be revealed, as a plaintiff, to hundreds of adcoms all across the country.

At a time when the AMA is trying to rein in medical malpractice litigation before it destroys the profession, here comes a group of applicants who want to sue over not a medical mistake but a clerical one. Undoubtedly someone will email the list of plaintiffs to every medical school; nothing wrong with that--it's public information. If you (op) believe what you're doing is right, you have nothing to worry about.

The final point that needs to be made is that these kids who are suing are mere pawns. It's the law firms that will make most of the money from any settlement. It's why they do what they do. The plaintiffs are merely a vehicle for the lawyers to "get" someone. This has nothing to do with justice or balance or fair play or even punishment. It has everything to do with money.

My advice to you, op, and others who are in this situation, is to suck it up, retake the MCAT if necessary, and make the most of your situation. AAMC has offered you a fair deal; what more can you ask from them? When (if) you get into medical school, and then rotations, and then residency, you will be constantly stepped on by your seniors. That's the ugly system that is American medical training. The MCAT mistake is going to be nothing but a little blip compared to the grueling experiences you will have later on. If you can't handle this situation with grace, I question your ability to survive later on.

Good post. :thumbup:

Actually I forgot about another awesome part of this entire pleasurable experience. Quoting the article from this site http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001914 "Prometric then contacted the AAMC, which in turn initiated e-mail contact that quickly reached all 341 testing sites, where students learned they could ignore the questions about warblers and passages about robotic fish. Some students may have tried to complete that portion before notice reached their testing sites, but they will not be graded differently, Jones said." This means that a test that is suppose to standardize, does not really standardize. Since some students were not forewarned, while others were, and both will be graded the same! Man, those lucky ones who were not forewarned, they get to receive a lower score!

This is what I've been saying all along. Can one of you pollyannaish nay sayers please stop digressing and explain how the above statement from the AAMC creates a fair and equitable testing condition? Is it standardized testing or not?

Ok, come on, read it again. He said they will not be scored differently because there is no difference between the two groups, they don't NEED to score them differently. On a similar note, the world is not out to get you.

Ok, come on, read it again. He said they will not be scored differently because there is no difference between the two groups, they don't NEED to score them differently. On a similar note, the world is not out to get you.

Of course there is no difference between the two groups. One group being forewarned of the screwed up passage and told to skip, while another group had no idea that the passage was screwed up, and spent time pondering over the discrepancy and distressed by the abnormality. No difference at all. Would make absolutely no difference. Completely standardized. You have a low verbal mcat don't you?

Here's a proposed solution. How about the AAMC create a new VR only test and give the option to those affected of retaking it if they choose to do so. That way affected individuals can still keep the scores from the other sections if they don't choose the void/full refund/full retake option. The AAMC can place the condition that affected individuals choosing to retake only the VR section won't be notified of any score until the VR retake is completed and combined with the PS, BS and writing sections from either the Jan 27/30 test.

Here's a proposed solution. How about the AAMC create a new VR only test and give the option to those affected of retaking it if they choose to do so. That way affected individuals can still keep the scores from the other sections if they don't choose the void/full refund/full retake option. The AAMC can place the condition that affected individuals choosing to retake only the VR section won't be notified of any score until the VR retake is completed and combined with the PS, BS and writing sections from either the Jan 27/30 test.

I don't know about you, but if I happened to receive a verbal section that was without pertinent questions, I would be so shook up that I will screw up the writing and biological.

my understanding is that students in later time zones were not forewarned, their proctors had only been told what to do if the situation arose.
I don't think they would choose to tell students about the possibility of an error as a matter of course, as then you could end up with a situation where the students who did not receive the messed up passage complain. I would have liked to have been warned, but if I didn't have a messed up passage I might have spent extra time checking the passages for errors or mistakenly omitted a passage where the questions seemed too hard.

Unfortunately, the AAMC's solution isn't fair to all. For example, I am living overseas and spent a considerable amount of money traveling to a testing site, staying in the city and eating while there. The AAMC's options are:

1. Retake
2. Refund
3. Keep scores

I cannot afford to go back to retake. I already spent all of the money that I saved for taking the MCAT by taking the MCAT, but then the AAMC said that if I want to have the opportunity to do my best, I'll have to spend that money again. As much as I wish I could, it's impossible. I need a score, so I guess the only option for me is #3. Thanks for all the options, AAMC.

First, the AAMC is not saying it never happened. Your interpretation of the issue does not make any of what you speculate true.

Secondly, no I have not taken the MCAT (May 11 date) but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion in this matter. I've take a lot of national standardized tests: ACT, SAT GRE x 2 (2 different programs), LSAT, and my National Boards. So your assumption that I've never studied hard for a standardized test is false. And I've had screwy things happen to me, too. My nat'l board exam was moved to another date - did I cry about it and whine that it set my rhythm off? Did I ask for a refund because I studied for THAT particular administration? No. Stuff happens. I went with the flow. I took the LSAT in Alabama in the summer heat and the air went out. Did I void because of "cruel" testing conditions? No. I stuck it out and did fine. Even if I had never taken a standardized test I would still have the right to comment so I'm a little disappointed you would throw that in there - as if my opinion is less valid than yours.

We are ALL inconvenienced in this world every day by something or other. Does that mean we should go around suing each other? Not by my standards we shouldn't. But then again, I've actually been in the working world and had enough experience to have things happen to me, and to inconvenience others.

As a future physician you are going to inconvenience others in the future, by making them wait longer than they want for an office visit or procedure, sending someone a bill they think is unjustified, being rude to a patient because you're having a bad day, not being prompt with test results etc. None of these things are illegal, but your patients will feel inconvenienced, and they will see you as you see the AAMC - money hungry and not caring about them.

This argument is really beginning to bore me by having to write the same things over and over. And I'm starting to look forward to when this is resolved so those who feel so "entitled" here will get their retake or their score and be done with it.

waste my time all day for calling law firms, writing stuff out on anonymous forums and wining about my bad fortune for 210 buck refund.

Yet you do waste your time all day posting on anonymous forums and whining about what other people are doing about their bad fortune. Just b/c the AAMC has a monopoly, no one should ever sue them? That's BS. And just so you know, all the "wish you all the best of luck" crap you spew at the end of every single one of your condescending posts doesn't take away from your incredibly annoying lectures that have gotten under most people's skin by this point. In fact, it just makes you look like a hypocrite b/c given the tone of your posts, it's obvious you don't wish them good luck, so do us all a favor and lose those four-leaf clover icons.

The point was made that this was NOT a standardized test as some posters have come out and posted that they were warned of a possible faulty passage. Warning some students and not others is utterly unfair as the unwarned students wasted precious time trying to answer questions that had no answer. How many of them didn't finish verbal, how many had to rush through verbal while their counterparts just looked at the passage, giggled, and moved on? How can you grade these people against one another? That's what the AAMC has said they will do.

And I also believe that a lawsuit will, in fact, help prevent future mistakes and anyone who doesn't buy that needs to take a good hard look at previous cases. There's precedence here. Every time a lawsuit hits the courts, companies change their policies to prevent future lawsuits. McDonald's did it with their warning about all the coffee being hot (not to mention lowered the temp of the coffee), TimeMex did it when they were sued for contaminating the water supply in a Connecticut community, etc. Lawsuits happen every day. Some have their day in court, others don't. But in the end, if this makes it to court or even if it's settled with the AAMC giving more options, I guarantee they WILL change how they do business. These tests will be reviewed and reviewed and reviewed and reviewed before they're administered to students. There will be a checks and balances system in place to prevent future pre-meds from getting screwed. For that reason alone, I say carry on to those involved in this suit.

Personally, I think the fair thing to do is for the AAMC to offer an alternative testing date in February or at the very latest, March for those affected and they have refused to do that. That isn't fair, IMO, b/c they're asking people who tried to get a leg up by taking the January test to wait until this summer to retest. Totally absurd! First of all, they have to keep reviewing/studying until the new test date. Second, they've probably run out of practice tests to keep their skills sharp. Third, they now fall behind in turning in applications since most people signed up for January so they could apply on June 1st.

And to all those out there who say "who cares?" I want to know how many of you left the MCAT room and said "god, I NEVER want to take that test again!" I'm assuming most since after each MCAT administration all we hear is people saying "make sure you're ready the first time. The MCAT is something you really don't want to take again." Now all those same people are sitting here saying "so what's the big deal? You retake." Or even worse, they're people who have never taken the MCAT and are preaching to people about how it's no big deal. Hypocrisy at its worst.

You know, I love how everyone here has turned into a legal expert. You don't think that the two big law firms who took the case know what they're doing? You think that you, in all your infinite wisdom, know that this will not be resolved? Awfully inflated sense of self if you ask me.

I'm just wondering what the naysayers are trying to accomplish here. The lawsuit is moving forward. You don't believe in it? Fine. No one asked for your support.

Yet you do waste your time all day posting on anonymous forums and whining about what other people are doing about their bad fortune. Just b/c the AAMC has a monopoly, no one should ever sue them? That's BS. And just so you know, all the "wish you all the best of luck" crap you spew at the end of every single one of your condescending posts doesn't take away from your incredibly annoying lectures that have gotten under most people's skin by this point. In fact, it just makes you look like a hypocrite b/c given the tone of your posts, it's obvious you don't wish them good luck, so do us all a favor and lose those four-leaf clover icons.

The point was made that this was NOT a standardized test as some posters have come out and posted that they were warned of a possible faulty passage. Warning some students and not others is utterly unfair as the unwarned students wasted precious time trying to answer questions that had no answer. How many of them didn't finish verbal, how many had to rush through verbal while their counterparts just looked at the passage, giggled, and moved on? How can you grade these people against one another? That's what the AAMC has said they will do.

And I also believe that a lawsuit will, in fact, help prevent future mistakes and anyone who doesn't buy that needs to take a good hard look at previous cases. There's precedence here. Every time a lawsuit hits the courts, companies change their policies to prevent future lawsuits. McDonald's did it with their warning about all the coffee being hot (not to mention lowered the temp of the coffee), TimeMex did it when they were sued for contaminating the water supply in a Connecticut community, etc. Lawsuits happen every day. Some have their day in court, others don't. But in the end, if this makes it to court or even if it's settled with the AAMC giving more options, I guarantee they WILL change how they do business. These tests will be reviewed and reviewed and reviewed and reviewed before they're administered to students. There will be a checks and balances system in place to prevent future pre-meds from getting screwed. For that reason alone, I say carry on to those involved in this suit.

Personally, I think the fair thing to do is for the AAMC to offer an alternative testing date in February or at the very latest, March for those affected and they have refused to do that. That isn't fair, IMO, b/c they're asking people who tried to get a leg up by taking the January test to wait until this summer to retest. Totally absurd! First of all, they have to keep reviewing/studying until the new test date. Second, they've probably run out of practice tests to keep their skills sharp. Third, they now fall behind in turning in applications since most people signed up for January so they could apply on June 1st.

And to all those out there who say "who cares?" I want to know how many of you left the MCAT room and said "god, I NEVER want to take that test again!" I'm assuming most since after each MCAT administration all we hear is people saying "make sure you're ready the first time. The MCAT is something you really don't want to take again." Now all those same people are sitting here saying "so what's the big deal? You retake." Or even worse, they're people who have never taken the MCAT and are preaching to people about how it's no big deal. Hypocrisy at its worst.

You know, I love how everyone here has turned into a legal expert. You don't think that the two big law firms who took the case know what they're doing? You think that you, in all your infinite wisdom, know that this will not be resolved? Awfully inflated sense of self if you ask me.

I'm just wondering what the naysayers are trying to accomplish here. The lawsuit is moving forward. You don't believe in it? Fine. No one asked for your support.

Including yourself.

Including yourself.

I never said whether or not the lawsuit would work. I said that I think it's a good thing. I'm not a legal expert. My beef is with the posters who repeatedly post "nothing will come of this" or "I guarantee you you won't get far," etc.

been out of it awhile but wholeheartedly agree with what medstudentwanna just said.

And s/he never even introduced any legal concepts megboo. Just his opinion.

Another point to be made some people took the January MCAT that are applying this cycle in hopes that a higher MCAT might help them. So, testing at a later date or refund is not an option.

dr.kicia said:
Unless op wants to get milions from this (which i doubt is going to happen) he is wasting his time.

Maybe you ought to read for comprehension at what the OP wrote.

whitbbitts said:
To be clear, I have communicated to the law firms that my intention here is not monetary and that I what I seek is a timely resolution not a protracted law suit.

Of course there is no difference between the two groups. One group being forewarned of the screwed up passage and told to skip, while another group had no idea that the passage was screwed up, and spent time pondering over the discrepancy and distressed by the abnormality. No difference at all. Would make absolutely no difference. Completely standardized. You have a low verbal mcat don't you?

Ummm THEY WERE NOT FOREWARNED. There are people saying that in every thread on this topic. Way to read! (Speaking of verbal...)

Ummm THEY WERE NOT FOREWARNED. There are people saying that in every thread on this topic. Way to read! (Speaking of verbal...)

So you were at every testing center in the country on January 27th to know whether or not people were forewarned? What jet did you take?

The AAMC has said that some proctors were told to TELL students to ignore the passage in question and yet YOU, a mere pre-med, is contradicting the AAMC on this fact because you know all. You know for a fact that the AAMC is wrong and that no one was warned, even though the AAMC says some were. With that kind of prescient intuition, I'm surprised you're not a millionaire.

Before you accuse others of not being able to read, perhaps you should take a gander at this:

Prometric then contacted the AAMC, which in turn initiated e-mail contact that quickly reached all 341 testing sites, where students learned they could ignore the questions about warblers and passages about robotic fish. Some students may have tried to complete that portion before notice reached their testing sites, but they will not be graded differently, Jones said.

Source: http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=197001914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malien
Woah...so THAT was what my proctor was asking me about.... I had the passage about birds but my questions matched...(at least I think so...either that or I was really out of it). About half of the people taking the test (there were only 8 or us) had problems with verbal. "

Umm...I know this is kinda late (I didn't know this thread was going on...) but....I wasn't forewarned about the Verbal glitch. I took it on the East Coast, and the proctors asked me about that during my break after I took the Verbal section. Other people who finished that section before me were complaining about the problem.

I am new posting, but I have been following this thread and similar ones for the last few weeks. I too had that dreaded verbal section on January 27. Like many on this site, I am opposed to the law suite at this time. It seems a little foolish to be suing AAMC at this time. I sincerely hope that this law suite does not negatively affect those involved. The academic medical community is very small, so it would not surprise me if the names involved with the suite get around to admissions committees.

On the other hand, I would like to agree with some of the people on the unfairness of the AAMC response. As has been mentioned previously, most of the testing dates in May and June in big cities have been filled up. Registration for testing this summer starts this week, and most if not all of the dates will probably be filled by the time we get the test scores back. Accordingly, it will probably be August or September before the people affected by this screw up are able to re-take the test. AAMC should add another testing date in the near future to accommodate people with the faulty passage. It could not be that difficult for AAMC to add another test time in April. They could offer a morning and afternoon session for one of the April dates like they do later in the summer. This would allow the people affected to still catch the early phase of the admission cycle and to not have to stress clear until September about the test. Many January testers started studying for the test around September of last year, and its ridiculous for AAMC to expect us to extend the misery of studying for this test nine months because they cant proof read their tests.

Additionally, AAMC should include a letter to all schools with MCAT scores explaining what happened with this test. It should be identical to the one they sent use in that it says that the screw up may have affected our abilities to do well on the rest of the verbal section and the following sections. Like many, I seriously doubt the validity of the test we took due to the screw ups, and medical schools need to be aware of this when viewing our scores. I do not know how the schools would view such a letter, but I still think they should be aware.

I would also like to hear from the rest of you, if people were actually warned about the passage on the east coast (please only people that this happened to). From the people I have talked to and from the information AAMC puts out, this seems to be only a rumor. If this is untrue, I would argue that this should not be mentioned in the law suite unless you were one of the people that spent 10 minutes or more on the phone with AAMC while the test’s clock continued to count down. If you really want to make a change in how the MCAT is conducted, become a physician and get into academics/AAMC. The best way to change things dramatically is from the inside.

I would recommend to all taking the suite to fight with AAMC about fixing the problems that can be fixed immediately (such as letting us re-take the test at an earlier date and including a letter with the test scores) before jumping to the law suite. A law suite will take tons of time and money, and I imagine most of you not be able to apply or will be negatively impacted this next admissions cycle due to AAMC unwillingness to do the things I mentioned above in addition to the time involved with the law suite.

Good luck to everyone who was affected by the passage as we are half way done with our wait!

First, the AAMC is not saying it never happened. Your interpretation of the issue does not make any of what you speculate true.

Secondly, no I have not taken the MCAT (May 11 date) but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion in this matter. I've take a lot of national standardized tests: ACT, SAT GRE x 2 (2 different programs), LSAT, and my National Boards. So your assumption that I've never studied hard for a standardized test is false. And I've had screwy things happen to me, too. My nat'l board exam was moved to another date - did I cry about it and whine that it set my rhythm off? Did I ask for a refund because I studied for THAT particular administration? No. Stuff happens. I went with the flow. I took the LSAT in Alabama in the summer heat and the air went out. Did I void because of "cruel" testing conditions? No. I stuck it out and did fine. Even if I had never taken a standardized test I would still have the right to comment so I'm a little disappointed you would throw that in there - as if my opinion is less valid than yours.

We are ALL inconvenienced in this world every day by something or other. Does that mean we should go around suing each other? Not by my standards we shouldn't. But then again, I've actually been in the working world and had enough experience to have things happen to me, and to inconvenience others.

As a future physician you are going to inconvenience others in the future, by making them wait longer than they want for an office visit or procedure, sending someone a bill they think is unjustified, being rude to a patient because you're having a bad day, not being prompt with test results etc. None of these things are illegal, but your patients will feel inconvenienced, and they will see you as you see the AAMC - money hungry and not caring about them.

This argument is really beginning to bore me by having to write the same things over and over. And I'm starting to look forward to when this is resolved so those who feel so "entitled" here will get their retake or their score and be done with it.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

first of all i am not the one claiming to be screwed by the glitch from AAMC with a business to run:rolleyes:
Maybe you should concentrate on reading my posts twice since i have never stated that having a monopoly on something is a win in court:laugh:
Your claiming that ppl were foreworned is false. No one on these forums have said that they were told to skip the passage. Only when they asked about it they were told to do their best (and they still wasted time like everybody for reading and pondering before they decided to raise their hand and talk to the proctor).

and lastly i am not the only one here and as everyone i am entlilted to an opinion. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't give you right to call me a hypocrite.:eek:
It only shows how low you can go when you run out of arguments.

And when i say good luck i really mean it. I know a lot of ppl got screwed and i am trully sorry that this have happened to them but that doesn't mean that i have to agree with everything and belive in this getting to court.

Maybe you ought to read for comprehension at what the OP wrote.

first of you took my sentence out of context.
Secondly read this sentence one more time.
Where do i say something that impies my lack of comprehension for what OP wrote:rolleyes:

first of you took my sentence out of context.
Secondly read this sentence one more time.
Where do i say something that impies my lack of comprehension for what OP wrote:rolleyes:
The OP made it clear to the attorneys and this thread that the lawsuit is not for monetary compensation but you insinuated with your "millions" comment that he/she is after money.

Again what don't you understand about

whibbitts said:
"To be clear, I have communicated to the law firms that my intention here is not monetary...?
Hmmm...the OP is concise and to the point with the statement.

So tell me and everyone else, since you claim that you understand what the OP is after, how you being an immigrant on post #64 is even relevant to those affected by the Jan 27/30 MCAT glitch? I take that back. Don't write anymore 'cause you like talking about yourself too much.

Maybe you ought to leave the OP and those intending to follow through with the lawsuit alone. Why? Because it doesn't involve you. It doesn't concern you. The Jan 27/30 MCAT didn't affect you. What part of it's none of your business do you not comprehend?

And in typical pre-med fashion, those who are emotionally invested start with the personal attacks. Dr. Kicia eluded to her immigrant status to make sure people knew she wasn't being flippant about money issues. Oh, and Rush, for those who haven't taken the MCAT yet, this lawsuit could very well involve us in the future, so how about letting people voice their opinions in civil manners, without personal attacks? Sorry if you don't like some of what you read, but there is an ignore button you can take advantage of.

If the OP didn't want people this didn't affect, people who haven't taken the MCAT yet, or views he/she disagrees with, then they should have thought twice about posting to a public board. Lord forbid anyone have a contrasting opinion, and try to back up their opinion :rolleyes:.

Even though the OP stated he/she isn't out for "monetary gain" (which includes refund + free test), others have outright said AAMC deserves to compensate them for test + study + "distress" fees.

BTW - we're ALL acting like legal experts when we offer opinions on this case and what should be done/outcome/etc.

Maybe you should concentrate on reading my posts twice since i have never stated that having a monopoly on something is a win in court

I never said you did say that. I said that you claim that because they have a monopoly, no one has the right to sue. Or have you forgotten this little gem you posted this morning?

<< It is all bad and unfair and whatnot but it is not as easy to win this kind of cases as you think. AAMC is not a McDonallds'...it is an organization that has monopoly for med schools in this country.>>

Your claiming that ppl were foreworned is false. No one on these forums have said that they were told to skip the passage.

Wow, another one who claims the AAMC is lying when THEY said that people were forewarned. Do you honestly believe the people posting on this thread are the only people who took the test that day? The AAMC has SAID (as has been quoted a dozen times), that some students DID have warning. If you don't mind, I'll take their word over yours.

and lastly i am not the only one here and as everyone i am entlilted to an opinion. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't give you right to call me a hypocrite.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

BTW - we're ALL acting like legal experts when we offer opinions on this case and what should be done/outcome/etc.

Not really. I never once said this case has merit or that the OP will be successful. I never said the OP will lose. I never said anything but that I think the lawsuit was a good move. Plain and simple. I'm not talking from a legal standpoint. I'm saying the OP has a right to file a suit.

The OP made it clear to the attorneys and this thread that the lawsuit is not for monetary compensation but you insinuated with your "millions" comment that he/she is after money.

Again what don't you understand about

Hmmm...the OP is concise and to the point with the statement.

So tell me and everyone else, since you claim that you understand what the OP is after, how you being an immigrant on post #64 is even relevant to those affected by the Jan 27/30 MCAT glitch? I take that back. Don't write anymore 'cause you like talking about yourself too much.
Maybe you ought to leave the OP and those intending to follow through with the lawsuit alone. Why? Because it doesn't involve you. It doesn't concern you. The Jan 27/30 MCAT didn't affect you. What part of it's none of your business do you not comprehend?
and i am going to listen to you because i am in a country where there is no privilage of freedom of speech and i am not entilted to my own opinion on the public forum:laugh:
Your posts only show how immature you are and unable to have a inteligent and kind discussion. I have never attacked anyone here, yet you from lack of the arguments have to personally attack me and single me out from this thread. Even though i am not the only person here who is not the follower of the AAMC law suit idea.
I hope that by the time when you will be 'holding' ppl's lives in your hands you will learn how to respect others and their opinions and that you will be mature enough to be given that responsibilty at first place.

Besides like meg said if you don't like to read my opinion you can take a use of the ignore list.
This is a public forum. If OP posts this kind of info on a PUBLIC forum ppl are going to come here and respond with their opinion whether they agree with his ideas or not and whether he wants them to respond or not. This is why it is called PUBLIC:rolleyes:

I never said you did say that. I said that you claim that because they have a monopoly, no one has the right to sue. Or have you forgotten this little gem you posted this morning?

<< It is all bad and unfair and whatnot but it is not as easy to win this kind of cases as you think. AAMC is not a McDonallds'...it is an organization that has monopoly for med schools in this country.>>

Wow, another one who claims the AAMC is lying when THEY said that people were forewarned. Do you honestly believe the people posting on this thread are the only people who took the test that day? The AAMC has SAID (as has been quoted a dozen times), that some students DID have warning. If you don't mind, I'll take their word over yours.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

Not really. I never once said this case has merit or that the OP will be successful. I never said the OP will lose. I never said anything but that I think the lawsuit was a good move. Plain and simple. I'm not talking from a legal standpoint. I'm saying the OP has a right to file a suit.

please show me a legal document on which AAMC says that they "foreworned" the other test takers.

and if you are quoting me next time try to quote the entire paragraph and not a sentence taken out of it's context and with your interpretation just because it matches your claims.

and i am going to listen to you because i am in a country where there is no privilage of freedom of speech and i am not entilted to my own opinion on the public forum:laugh:
Your posts only show how immature you are and unable to have a inteligent and kind discussion. I have never attacked anyone here, yet you from lack of the arguments have to personally attack me and single me out from this thread. Even though i am not the only person here who is not the follower of the AAMC law suit idea.
I hope that by the time when you will be 'holding' ppl's lives in your hands you will learn how to respect others and their opinions and that you will be mature enough to be given that responsibilty at first place.

Besides like meg said if you don't like to read my opinion you can take a use of the ignore list.
This is a public forum. If OP posts this kind of info on a PUBLIC forum ppl are going to come here and respond with their opinion whether they agree with his ideas or not and whether he wants them to respond or not. This is why it is called PUBLIC:rolleyes:
I respect people, I only choose not to respect you and your self-righteous ilk.

So can we get back to the issue at hand?

I respect people, I only choose not to respect you and your self-righteous ilk.

So can we get back to the issue at hand?

yeah and you will surely add ppl to that list whenever there will be discrepancy with your and their point of view.
Because ppl's different points of view are reason (if any such should even exist) to disrespect them :rolleyes:

you are going to make a great doctor:thumbup:

please show me a legal document on which AAMC says that they "foreworned" the other test takers.

and if you are quoting me next time try to quote the entire paragraph and not a sentence taken out of it's context and with your interpretation just because it matches your claims.

Uh, duh, the AAMC hasn't filed ANY legal documents. Until they do, what I have to go on is their quote to the media, unless you're willing to go on the record and say the AAMC lied and that you personally know every single test taker from the January 27th MCAT and can vouch for every single one - with the magical powers you have - and can say that no one was warned. Until you can do that, you should probably just accept the fact that the AAMC knows way more than you do and that they are a more reliable source than you.

And no, I have no intention of quoting your entire diatribe. I will take what I find relevant and what I found relevant to my argument about your monopoly implication was the part I quoted. Live with it.