The Pharmacy Employer Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm preparing on moving... well wherever I end up, I am prepping for jobs now as I know how difficult it can be to find one.

I have worked at independents my entire career thus far, but it looks as if that streak will most likely have to end once I move. Plus I would like to experience working for a big chain just to have first hand experience.

So my question, to all the users on this forum, is what are the better large chains? Rite Aid? CVS? Walgreens?

We all have bad experiences at our jobs, and that is usually when we hear people speak of their employers. I am merely asking for general intel on the various major chains in the country. I figure others may find the information here relevant to their endeavors as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally love working at CVS. The system is fairly simple and it seems like there's a lot of patient outreach, which I like. But, I have heard from others working at CVS that Walgreen's system is much more advanced and is supposed to be "the best" in retail.

I liked working at OSCO before it was bought out by CVS. Although I didn't work there when it became CVS, I kept in contact with some of my coworkers there. They complained about how difficult the transition was but that, overall, it was still good to work there. I vote CVS.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about Target?

I love Publix but that only applies if you live below the Mason Dixon LOL

Overall I enjoy working at CVS, but that is mainly because I have great co-workers. I think that ultimately matters more than any of the corporate games you'll play at any major chain.

do you ENJOY wearing a diaper throughout the day?

yes- cvs

no- walgreens &/or rite aid

do you ENJOY wearing a diaper throughout the day?

yes- cvs

no- walgreens &/or rite aid
LOL

I work for Walgreens and the system is more advanced than CVS. Last time I heard, CVS still uses a system based off of MS-DOS.

Times are tough right now. Major chains will have hiring freezes. Wait a couple years if you can. Continue with your job right now or apply to grad school and get your masters if you haven't already got one.

LOL

I work for Walgreens and the system is more advanced than CVS. Last time I heard, CVS still uses a system based off of MS-DOS.

Times are tough right now. Major chains will have hiring freezes. Wait a couple years if you can. Continue with your job right now or apply to grad school and get your masters if you haven't already got one.
he's already accepted to pharm school in the fall ;)

I work for CVS and while it is the only chain I have worked for, the computer system and actual computer do seem like they have been around for a little too long given the technology we have today. But they are slowly transferring all of the stores to a new, updated system but they just have not gotten to my store yet. But overall I have enjoyed my experience with CVS, and I particularly like that CVS is a pretty much a national chain as opposed to some regional chains like grocery stores. I am moving to North Carolina in a month and the transfer to another CVS store has been seamless and I know that if I ever wanted to move to California..New York etc., there will be a CVS to transer to.

Does anyone use EnterpriseRX? That's what we use... I like it so far but I have never tried anything else. I never plan on moving out of the southeast US so I hope I can transfer, but all the stores do seem to be on a hiring freeze. Maybe it is different for interns though. I want to work a little in pharmacy school so I have a better chance to be on the schedule for 20-40 hours/week over the summer and winter breaks. I wouldn't mind to try working for an independant or LTC though if I can't stay with Publix. That would be interesting, but hard to find most likely.

I work for Walgreens but in the corporate sector and it is a GREAT company, so great that I plan on returning after I finish pharm school. I work with retail locations all the time and our systems are more advanced than other chains. What makes us a giant in the pharmacy business is our intergration (i.e how retail, mail order, home infusion and other services all come together).

I work as a technician for Rite Aid. It's the only pharmacy I've worked in but I feel that the computer system is very efficient (it's called NextGen if anyone cares) because it's user-friendly and allows for easy multitasking. I work part-time so I can't tell you what the benefits are like. At my store, there is up to one pharmacist and one technician working at any time and our volume is about 100 prescriptions per day. I think it's on the slower side mostly but there are times when it gets hectic real fast.

Target FTW! Their system (PDX) is pretty horrible though, but I think that they're updating it before the end of this year.

I work as a technician for Rite Aid. It's the only pharmacy I've worked in but I feel that the computer system is very efficient (it's called NextGen if anyone cares) because it's user-friendly and allows for easy multitasking. I work part-time so I can't tell you what the benefits are like. At my store, there is up to one pharmacist and one technician working at any time and our volume is about 100 prescriptions per day. I think it's on the slower side mostly but there are times when it gets hectic real fast.

I agree Rite Aid is pretty awesome because our system is pretty user friendly as well & as a future pharmacy student they work with you on your work schedule. Many great benefits even if you are a part-time employee. Rite Aid has my vote :D

Kroger pharmacy!! good benefits, good pay, new user-friendly system... they offer tuition reimbursement when in pharmacy school if you agree to work for the company a certain number of years after you graduate...i have worked with many different pharmacists and the general consensus seems to be (after Kroger of course ;) is: Rite Aid, Walgreens, last CVS...

I like the Connexus system walmart uses. Walmart's pharmacy program (as a whole) is super easy to learn. Plus you get that discount. ;)

A discount at Wal-mart would certainly be useful during pharm school. Too bad Wal-mart is the scourge of corporate America (IMO). I refuse to shop there.

A discount at Wal-mart would certainly be useful during pharm school. Too bad Wal-mart is the scourge of corporate America (IMO). I refuse to shop there.

For right now, a job's a job. I definitely understand not liking the company, though. I always think about independent pharmacies and how Wal-Mart is the juggernaut that's coming after them.

WOW My sister works at the company nextgen. She helps develop the sofeware.

I work at Target, and I like it. Though, as others have said, the system is dated, but they are planning to update in the next few months. From what I've heard, the new system is supposed to be super easy and make things run quicker.