The Pill that Starts with 'F'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandalia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw an ad for Farxiga. Their marketing slogan is "Ask your doctor about the pill that starts with 'F."

An ED physician had to have come up with that marketing campaign. Or maybe an ED nurse.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd love it if we could make medication names so much less cumbersome.
My wife does graphic design and marketing. When you have to give a spelling guide on how to pronounce your product, you are doing it wrong.

Nobody teaches phonics in school anymore, so young adults have no idea how to pronounce anything... and old people are old and don't care enough to keep up with anything that might be new, because "what's familiar is right" to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
"So...patient Generic Medicine-Johnson...what meds do you take?

"I take beta-blocker A, diuretic B...."
"Wait...why don't you take diuretic A? A is recommended before B."
"Diuretic A gave me impotence. I ain't takin that doc!"
"Ah...ok. Carry on."
"Ok....where was I . So I also take GERD A but the high dose!"
"Ahh!! I see...OK. What other meds?"

"Blood thinner C..."
"Wait...what kind of blood thinner is that? The kind that affects your platelets or clotting factors?"
"How the f should I know! The package just says Blood Thinner C"
"Fine.....I'll figure it out. Anything else?"
"I take Chemotherapy B, G, and Q because I already tried C, W, and TT and they didn't work."

"Oh....that means you only have 1 month to live. Sorry about that.."

Abilify, the drug so well named it could be in a rap song.

I just saw an ad for Farxiga. Their marketing slogan is "Ask your doctor about the pill that starts with 'F."

Family doc: Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up. I've been meaning to start you on furosemide.

Reactions: 3 users
The adolescents can't write cursive.

An ED physician had to have come up with that marketing campaign. Or maybe an ED nurse.
I would immediately assume fluconazole. Patients don't remember that name and ask for it prophylactically all the time when they get an Rx for abx because if they don't they "always get a yeast infection"

I would immediately assume fluconazole. Patients don't remember that name and ask for it prophylactically all the time when they get an Rx for abx because if they don't they "always get a yeast infection"
Do you acquiesce? I usually just tell them that otc topicals work just as good and we don't want to create resistance ("if you take it too often it won't work for you anymore")

Do you acquiesce? I usually just tell them that otc topicals work just as good and we don't want to create resistance ("if you take it too often it won't work for you anymore")
Depends on the patient. If I can see in their records that they have several visits for candidiasis, yes. If not (or if I can't find a single visit with documented candidiasis) no.