The Question Barrage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrGregoryHouse

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year medical student at a mid tier medical school. I honored my first block and I'm wondering what I'll have to do to get a radiology residency. I'm not shooting for an elite residency, just any residency. I generally do well academically and on standardized tests, but I have no research experience at all from undergrad. I also am not really involved in any extracurriculars in med school or in undergrad (What can I say... I like my TV and videogames). From what I've seen of radiology I really like the subject and the lifestyle.

AAMC: Charting Match Outcomes says average publications is 2.8 and 25% are AOA! With almost 1000 residency positions it seems like there are alot of spots available.

Question Barrage:
What do I have to do to get a residency? Do I need to do research? Do I have to get published, or will working on research between the first and second year be sufficient? If I do research throughout medical school, would that somewhat compensate for my weakness during undergrad? Does it have to be radiology research? Do you know anyone who has gotten a radiology residency without research? Do I need extracurriculars? And if so what type? What about AOA? Do radiology preceptorships look good on a resume? How well do I need to do on the USMLE? (I know 235 is average, but people on the forum seem to say 'above 240') If I'm weak in any of these areas do I still have a chance?
 
read the previous threads in the Radiology Forum and you'll get your answer 100 times over