The range of path programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soopa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
from the FAQ said:
The last level: Really no cut-off at all as long as you passed your exams - these are programs on probation or in underserved areas/in the middle of nowhere or just for whatever reason fall in the category of "not that great", and these take both IMG and AMG, just anyone who'll go.

So there's something for everyone.

hey guys, so i was wondering, do you guys know of any programs that fit this category of path programs? i was only thinkin about this because my step 1 score is on the lower end, but have yet to take step 2. hoping to really improve 'cause i've been workin' really hard this time. thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, so i was wondering, do you guys know of any programs that fit this category of path programs? i was only thinkin about this because my step 1 score is on the lower end, but have yet to take step 2. hoping to really improve 'cause i've been workin' really hard this time. thanks for the help!

You could always start by checking which programs went unfilled for the past few years. Do some research and see what types of applicants they take (ie, DO, FMG, IMG). Look at the program websites and see if they specifically have USMLE cutoffs (ie >85) to assess whether or not you'll be competitive. Finally, do a path elective and rock it to generate some awesome LORs.

Be realistic about where you apply and don't limit yourself geographically. Don't forget to throw in some "reach" programs...the worst they can say is "no", but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!

The only true way to know if you are a competitive applicant is to apply. If you are competitive, you will get an interview. If not, you won't. If that means applying to tons of programs, so be it, it will be a bit expensive though. You basically will have to do your own research on which programs are marginal, but the above suggestions are good. Most programs have some sort of website, many of which list the residents or relevant personnel who you could contact if you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly sure on the programs that just look at whether you passed or not and will take anyone........like it says in the FAQ. So far, no one has discussed programs like these that are on probation, in underserved areas or where no one wants to go. Maybe there are......? like Pitt? oh yeah guys, how is LSU's path program, my friend is going there this year.

I always had the impression that path is pretty competitive, but it seems more that the middle to top programs are like that. Then on the lower end it seems not that competitive. This year, 57% of path was filled by US seniors and the rest FMGs? That's much lower than the rest of the specialties. However, who knows what this means for people with low to average board scores, etc.

Not exactly sure on the programs that just look at whether you passed or not and will take anyone........like it says in the FAQ. So far, no one has discussed programs like these that are on probation, in underserved areas or where no one wants to go. Maybe there are......? like Pitt?

this guy's asking for bottom of the totem pole type programs and your suggestion is Pitt? I tend to think you don't know much about pitt.

Not exactly sure on the programs that just look at whether you passed or not and will take anyone........like it says in the FAQ. So far, no one has discussed programs like these that are on probation, in underserved areas or where no one wants to go. Maybe there are......? like Pitt? oh yeah guys, how is LSU's path program, my friend is going there this year.

I always had the impression that path is pretty competitive, but it seems more that the middle to top programs are like that. Then on the lower end it seems not that competitive. This year, 57% of path was filled by US seniors and the rest FMGs? That's much lower than the rest of the specialties. However, who knows what this means for people with low to average board scores, etc.

vijay - i gotta agree with king arthur - calling Pitt a bottom-tier path program is just inaccurate. so is saying that pittsburgh is a place no one wants to live. maybe that was the case in the late 1970s, but no more. no longer simply a steel town, i've heard good things about the city, and when i interviewed for med school there i was impressed with the city - very pretty with lots of green space, cultural opportunities, sports, and an educated community with pitt and carnegie mellon. it's certainly on my list of places to apply to next year.

Ok, gotcha guys. Shows you how much I know. The problem was I was relaying information that someone else told me about a bottom tier program in PA. Perhaps Penn State Milton hershey or something. But I better stop naming or else I'll be i more trouble! :D

Yeah, so I basically don't know which are the bottom tier programs. But are these "bottom tier" the ones that are making Path easy to get into and contributing to this generalization?

Ok, gotcha guys. Shows you how much I know. The problem was I was relaying information that someone else told me about a bottom tier program in PA. Perhaps Penn State Milton hershey or something. But I better stop naming or else I'll be i more trouble!

Too late.

I don't really understand your question. Are you asking what the bad programs are so that you can apply to them? Just apply to programs you are interested in. If you are competitive, they will grant you an interview. If you think you're not a good candidate, then apply to more programs. It may cost more but to be honest, if you're not the greatest candidate then money shouldn't be your main priority.

Path is not that competitive overall. Top programs are competitive. These are not incongruent statements. It is also very easy to match into internal medicine, but just try matching into IM at Mass General or UCSF.

General trends in regards to matching and competitiveness are all well and good, but every individual candidate is going to have their own experience. It isn't like applying to med school where every class is 100+ individuals and it is easier to predict general trends. Path programs range from 3-10 people per year, or so, and every year may be different in terms of specifics at that program.

Maybe there are......? like Pitt?

WTF?
Pitt?
You bettah take back dem words my man....Or else Ill need to avenge the honor of Pitt by challenging you to a duel!

You know where Im headed though right?:)